Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ False Prophecy ❯ Orientation ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Welcome to False Prophecy, Chapter 2. This was a long time in coming, but it's finally here. If you are not a first-time reader of this fiction, I encourage you to look at the beginning part of the prologue; I changed something very important there. Otherwise, enjoy.

~~~~~~

Shinji woke up to a familiar voice the next morning...

"Shinji!!!!" Asuka delicately screamed in his ear.

"WAAAH!!" The sight of the red-headed girl scared the daylights out of Shinji as he fell off his bed in surprise. "A-A-A-Asuka, w-what are you - -!" Other words came after that, but they were mostly incomprehensible.

Asuka crossed her arms. "Hmph! Well, that's no way to treat your neighbor."

Shinji clumsily tried to get up from the floor. "H-h-how did you get in here?"

Asuka smiled, but it wasn't the type of smile that made Shinji comfortable at all. "It was easy, after I told the manager of the building that I was going to look after you, and I guess she felt sorry for you, so she gave me a key to your place."

Shinji's face turned white. "But... I - - WAAUGH!"

Asuka abruptly hoisted Shinji up by his arms, and dragged him into the bathroom.

"Come on now, school starts in an hour," Asuka said. "You should be thankful I'm doing this for you, you lazy bum. Come on, no complaining." She closed the bathroom door, and proceeded to wait in Shinji's living room.

Shinji grumbled angrily in the shower. "Stupid Asuka... what the hell is she trying to do?"

But then again, there must be something in her that's nice... Like in the elevator... There was something about her that was so... - -

Shinji's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of banging on the bathroom door. "Hey Shinji! Quit jacking off in there and hurry up!"

"Shut the hell up! I'm hurrying!"

~~~~~~

"How is he, Major Katsuragi?"

"The way he's been ever since we picked him up from the waste pool a month ago. Unconscious and unresponsive."

"I see."

"I've never seen someone recovering for such a long time after being freed. Did we make the right decision?"

"..."

"...However Commander, his REM's are quite active; it's like he is dreaming."

"Of course he was dreaming... he has been dreaming since the day he was born. Carry on with the rehabilitation. His muscles are atrophied."

"Yes, Commander."

~~~~~~

11-41 Studios

Kenshiro Mitsui -san

False Prophecy

Chapter 02: Orientation

~~~~~~

Shinji awoke with a start, gasping heavily for air as he sat up in his cot. Looking around frantically, he saw nothing but the grey of metal making up the floor, the ceiling, and the walls.

His forearm started to itch, so he took his fingers to scratch the affected area... but instead felt cold, harsh metal. Shinji looked down on his arm, and saw a circular piece of steel bulging from his now pale skin., connected to a needle and IV unit. Nightmares rushed violently in his head; images of millions of pink-tinged pods with human forms resting silently in them, and that floating robot resembling some kind of octopus, with its many tentacles flailing about...

Panicking, Shinji tried to run his fingers through his short dark hair, only to feel bare skin. He was completely bald. Panicking, he stood up to search for an exit, when a certain blue-haired girl entered his room after a quick knock on the door.

"You're awake," Rei said simply.

"You again!" Shinji exclaimed, breathing heavily. "Where the hell did you take me?"

Rei set down the tray of food she carried in one hand on a metal bedstand, and taking Shinji by the arm, she led him back to his bed, and urged him to sit.

"I have been ordered to keep you calm, Shinji Ikari. You must rest. You have had a long ordeal - -"

"But where the hell am I? What did you do to me?" Shinji broke free from Rei's grip and stood up again. "Where's Asuka?"

A small, but audible grumbling sound was heard in the room, as Shinji rubbed his stomach in an attempt to ease the sudden hunger pangs.

Rei took the tray of food next to her, and placed it on the bed, near Shinji.

"Eat this," Rei ordered, as she walked towards the door. "We will start your orientation tomorrow. You will need your strength." Rei then procured a hypodermic syringe, and injected the contents into Shinji's IV unit ("This will help calm your heart and respiration rates," Rei explained).

"...orientation for what?" Shinji inquired.

"...Your new world." With those last words, Rei closed the door, leaving Shinji alone again.

Shinji looked at the tray on his bed. It consisted of a bowl of... something, along with a glass of water. Picking up the bowl, Shinji took the utensil next to it, and poked at the contents suspiciously before feeding himself a spoonful.

Ugh... it tastes like old, soggy corn flakes... Shinji thought to himself. But he was in no position to complain about the food. He knew he was starving, and he had to take what he was offered. Shinji drowned the taste in his mouth with a glass of water. He felt the medicine working as his breathing relaxed significantly, and he continued to eat his meal, contemplating his new environment.

~~~~~~

"How curious... you never went out of your way to help someone unless you were ordered, yet you brought him food in bed through your own volition..."

Rei stopped in her tracks as she noticed Doctor Ritsuko Akagi waiting outside Shinji's room.

Rei turned slowly to face the doctor.

"I was told by the commander to make sure no harm befalls him," she said stoically, "and to help facilitate his training. I am merely acting within those orders."

"Hmph. Of course," Ritsuko replied with a dangerous sneer on her lips. "It was what you were designed for. The commander's little doll..."

"Do you honestly, fully believe what the Commander is saying about that boy?" Ritsuko began to pace around Rei. "Yes, I do know we went through a lot of trouble to free that boy's mind, but the question is, do you really think that it is worth all that? Don't tell me you're a believer..."

"I believe what I choose to believe."

"Huh. Sure you do." Ritsuko stopped pacing, her face a few inches away from Rei's. "There is something else, isn't there? Why you seem to be treating Shinji better than any of us, save the Commander... I saw it in your eyes. The way you looked at that other girl - - the one who accompanied him. You must be glad that she's out of your hair..."

Ritsuko smiled, as she eased away from Rei. "Well, I must be going... I've had a long, strenuous day. Good night..."

And with that, Ritsuko skulked away. Despite her outward appearance, Rei felt something quaking inside her angrily, as she followed another hallway, heading towards her own quarters.

~~~~~~

Day 1

If Rei was ever worried about something, it would never show on her face, save for perhaps a small frown or narrowing of her eyes. Normally.

However, she managed to exhibit a small emotional outburst as Shinji started going into shock. His mind could barely handle the truth that Rei had just given him, and Shinji had responded with panic and disbelief, shaking and clutching his head, and what appeared to be a seizure.

"Ikari! Please stay calm!" Rei cried out with an uncharacteristically emotional voice as Shinji fell onto the cold metal floor of the Lilith's control room, her eyes wide with anxiety.

Gendo stepped in to take control of the situation. "Doctor, give him a tranquilizer. It is imperative that he maintains his sanity at this point. There's no plugging back in for him now..."

Doctor Ritsuko Akagi kneeled at Shinji's side, and administered a mild opiate on the side of his arm. Within a few seconds, Shinji's shaking slowed to a stop, and he fell into unconsciousness.

"Jesus, Rei, what the hell did you tell him in there?" Ritsuko exclaimed.

"I... I simply told him the truth." Rei took a deep breath to settle down, and continued, in her usual tone of voice, but with a slight, almost unnoticeable quavering. "It was up to him whether he wanted to accept it or not."

While Ritsuko stood up and helped Kaji take Shinji's prone form away to his quarters, Misato commented to Commander Gendo:

"Sir, in all my experiences aboard this ship and others, I have never seen a reaction as bad as his. I mean, what this might be doing to his mind- -"

"I'm afraid it's all necessary, Major," he interrupted. "He is the One. I am sure of it."

"For his sake, I hope he is. All this trouble, and it may be all in vain. You do realize that the cloaking program you placed in that building might have a small chance of being traced back to this hovercraft. That's a direct violation of Zion's rules and procedures."

"That is not a factor right now, Major Katsuragi. They will not trace us back here, I swear. Shinji will save us..."

~~~~~~

Kaji locked the door to Shinji's room.

"Simple, standard procedures, Doctor," he shrugged. "Can't risk having him going berserk on us while we're on this ship, can we?"

Ritsuko nodded. "I suppose you're right." She changed the subject. "Kaji, I have something to ask you."

"Anything for you, doll," he replied with a flashy smile.

Always the flirtatious one... "Did you notice anything... strange about Rei today?"

Kaji raised an eyebrow. "It wasn't just me, huh? Yeah, Rei seemed a little bit more... lively - - I suppose that's the word to use - - during that incident with Shinji. Very unlike her. You're the doctor, Ritsuko. Any idea what it means?"

The doctor shook her head. "None whatsoever, Kaji... other than the fact that our Rei is, indeed, only human."

"That's good to know, I guess," Kaji responded with a chuckle in his voice. "I'll be keeping guard from the control room tonight." He walked away. "You have a good night now."

Ritsuko smiled slyly in the dim light outside of Shinji's room.

"Only human..."

~~~~~~

"Yes, Commander. I understand." Rei nodded apologetically at Commander Gendo. "It won't happen again."

Gendo returned the nod. "Good. I need you to keep these unruly emotions in check. We have a job to do. Go to bed now."

"Yes sir." With those last two words, Rei walked promptly to her quarters.

Ritsuko decided to join Gendo as soon as Rei was out of sight.

She talked in a teasing voice, as she sensually embraced Gendo from behind, playfully touching the metal object protruding from the back of his neck. "Well, well... your puppet does have feelings, Commander Ikari - -"

Turning around deftly, Gendo grabbed both of Ritsuko's arms firmly and violently slammed her against the steel bulkhead of the ship.

"I told you never to call me by that name, on this ship!" he said through angrily clenched teeth.

Ritsuko only smiled back. "You should have never told me then." She pursed her lips. "Men say the strangest things in bed..."

Gendo shook her once more, making her blonde hair disheveled. His voice was low, and dangerous. "Another outburst of insolence such as this, and I will leave you behind for the Sentinels. Is that understood?!?"

Ritsuko stared into the man's eyes for a moment, before throwing herself into a passionate kiss with him, catching Gendo off guard. After several seconds, she pulled away, and answered, "Yes, Commander Gendo..."

She released herself from his grip, and skulked off to her quarters.

~~~~~

Day 2

The mess hall was empty and lonely; the bluish tint given off by the florescent lights from above accentuated the remoteness. Inside, Kaji Ryoji, and his superior, Misato Katsuragi were talking over a bowl of the usual goop they were served everyday. This so-called goop provided the crew with essential vitamins, minerals, and amino acids; almost everything the human body needed. Almost.

"How is he, Misato?"

"Not so good, I'm afraid. He tried to escape when I opened his door to give him his food." Misato laughed softly, as she traced a finger around a small red bump on her forehead.

"Tried to hit me with something. I had to trip him up and put him down with one of the tranqs Doctor Akagi gave me. That was completely unlike him. He was never like that while we were observing him in the Matrix... it's like he's so desperate to get back to his own world. Honestly, I'm surprised he hasn't died yet from all the... emotional... stress..."

While Misato was talking, Kaji took his own hand, and lightly placed it on the bump on Misato's forehead. Slowly, his hand moved to her cheek, causing Misato to shiver involuntarily. She moved away from him.

The smile on Kaji's face turned into a small frown. "Why, Misato?"

Misato sat up. "Please, Kaji, we tried it once already. It just doesn't work between us. And now we're assigned on the same ship... If we were involved, it would just make things complicated, especially with the task we're trying to do now."

"...Yeah, I understand," Kaji sighed. "The kid needs us."

Misato rose from her seat, and walked over to the sink to place her bowl in there. "I'm sorry, Kaji..." She hastily exited the mess hall.

Kaji played with his food for a few moments before discarding the rest of it in the sink. "I really hope you're worth the trouble, kid."

~~~~~

Day 6

"There's no way back, is there?" Those were the first words Shinji ever said to anyone ever since the incident. "I can't go back, can I, Rei?"

Rei set Shinji's tray of food down on a table in his room, and started for the door. "If you could, Ikari, would you choose to do so?"

Shinji looked down at the sandals provided for him, and contemplated this question. Before Rei could close the door, - -

"What is it you want me to do?" he asked.

Rei simply replied, "To help us."

"Help? But I can't do anything! How am I supposed to do that?"

"If you are ready, I will show you tomorrow."

The door closed, and Shinji sighed, his shoulders drooped down as a sign of acquiescence.

~~~~~

Day 7

"Hey, kid, it's good to see you out." Kaji gave Shinji a wide grin as he prepared the chair that he would be sitting in. "Take a seat."

Shinji complied, and allowed the loose metal restraints to be placed on his feet. Afterwards, Kaji stepped behind the chair.

"He's all yours, Rei." Shinji looked to his right to see the young Ayanami sitting in front of a multitude of computer monitors and keyboards.

"Plug him in, Lieutenant Ryoji."

Shinji felt a similar feeling a week ago. First came the quick stab of pain, then the sensation of ice water rushing through his head, then a pleasantly warm feeling.

"How do you feel, kid?"

"Umm... ok, I guess."

"Good, 'cause you'll be here for a while. This is your training session." Kaji motioned towards a nearby monitor. An image of a 3D model in a martial arts stance holding a pair of pistols, and the words "WEAPONS TRAINING - - GUN-KATA" appeared.

"W-what is this?" Shinji asked.

"Gun-Kata is a martial arts designed to improve your marksmanship with a number of guns while being able to predict the trajectories of incoming bullets geometrically in order to prevent any injury to yourself, while inflicting maximum damage to your opponents."

"Huh?"

Kaji smiled again. "It means we're going to teach you to kick some ass."

"You're going to teach me all that today?" Shinji said incredulously.

"Punch it, Rei."

"Yes, sir." Rei pressed the <enter> key on a keyboard, and the words "UPLOADING" appeared on the monitor.

Shinji felt the rush of neurons quickly invading his brain, causing him to gasp involuntarily. Suddenly, every stance, move, and instruction dealing with the uploading martial art flashed in front of him, and was imprinted into his memory. The sensation stopped as abruptly as it began, and Shinji was able to breathe again.

Shinji took big gulps of air while trying to say something.

"What- - was- - that- -?"

Kaji looked down at Shinji's wide, amazed eyes, and couldn't help but chuckle at the sight.

"How does that feel?" he asked.

"Pretty... pretty good..."

"Shall we continue?" Rei asked from the computer terminal.

"...Yeah." was all that Shinji could say, as he tried to make himself relax for the next several uploads.

~~~~~

Before they stopped for food, Shinji had "learned" more than 150 forms of armed and unarmed combat. By the end of the day, the number doubled, and Shinji was dead-tired as he headed straight for his quarters.

"He reacted well to the combat training?"

"Yes, Commander."

Gendo's hands, perched above his desk and clasped together, hid a half-smile. "Excellent. Put his newfound skills to the test tomorrow."

"Yes, sir." Rei turned around curtly, and began to walk towards the door.

"And Rei?"

"Yes, sir?"

"Good night."

"You too, sir."

~~~~~

Day 8

Shinji thought it must be a strange site to see a boy dressed in a school uniform holding a gun in each hand. It couldn't be helped; it was his own residual self-image - - how he sees himself in his own mind.

Oh well, he thought to himself, as he twisted his body in the appropriate stance, crossed his arms, pointed his guns at opposite ends, and disposed of two computer-generated enemies quickly. They disappeared in a flurry of green computer code once the virtual bullets struck them, while the bullets that they shot at Shinji passed by him harmlessly, thanks to the quick calculations of possible bullet trajectories he made in his head before the fight. He may not be able to dodge bullets like an Agent, but predicting where they might go was the next best thing, though a miscalculation can prove to be lethal, as Shinji found out several times in the training simulation. Thankfully, it was only a simulation. Shinji let out a sigh. He had no problems shooting at a computer, but what if he had to use real guns on real people? Of course, the word real was subject to relativity, as he had learned over the past week.

Shinji reloaded both his pistols at the same time with the grace and skill of a professional, and holstered them at his sides. As soon as he put his weapons away, the environment around him sped away at high speeds, and another one zoomed in to replace it. He looked at himself now, and saw that his pistols were gone, as well as his school uniform.

"Why am I wearing these pajamas?" He asked himself, as he picked at the loose-fitting traditional Chinese clothes he was wearing. It was colored blue, with white trim.

Looking at his new environment, he could only describe it in his head as "Kung-Fu Movie." He was now in the middle of a deserted marketplace, full of vegetable stalls and stands, not unlike something he's seen in that martial arts movie he saw on television once. There was a man that drunk a good amount of alcohol to become a better fighter, and as Shinji reminisced about it, he quickly recalled that he was "taught" that fighting style just yesterday. Smiling at himself, and with all the enthusiasm of a child with a brand-new toy, he practiced a few of those moves he saw long ago himself.

Shinji abruptly stopped his exercises when he caught a quick glimpse of- -

"Rei! What are you doing here?" Shinji said with a surprised tone. He took a better look at her, and saw that she was wearing similar garb, but in a dirty white color.

"Who changed the scenery? Is this another program?"

"Yes. This is training program designed for unarmed combat. Like in the other programs you've trained in, basic rules such as gravity apply in this simulation. What you will learn is that these rules can be bent, or even broken."

Shinji took her words lightly. "So you're going to teach me how to fly or something?"

Rei responded in a not-so-light manner. "It's never been done, but that is up to you." With a series of arm movements, she placed her body in a Tai Chi Quan stance, her favorite martial art.

"Are you ready, Ikari?"

Shinji got himself in a ready position, his light footwork kicking up a small cloud of dust on the empty dirt road, and tried to surprise Rei with a flying kick.

It did not work, as Rei easily evaded the blow. As soon as Shinji landed on his feet, he followed his initial attack with a flurry of side kicks, all of which were either dodged or blocked by Rei's fluidity and grace. Shinji's attacks were quick and furious, but Rei was smoother; with an elegant hand motion, she grabbed Shinji's attacking foot, and threw him into a vegetable stall, shattering it into a hundred pieces of wood.

Shinji was surprised at how easily defeated he was as he picked himself up from the rubble. He massaged his back, and got ready to fight again, this time using a different stance. Rei continued to use her Tai Chi.

Shinji flipped in the air and tried to punch Rei, but missed. He followed with a combination of punches and tried to finish with a grab, but Rei countered and punched him in the chest once. Shinji tried to attack once again using a different stance, and Rei continued to counter his moves. This continued for seven more minutes, until Shinji wore himself out and got tired.

"No matter what I use..." Shinji managed between breaths, "...I can't hit you. You're too fast..."

"Physical prowess has no meaning in this place, Ikari," Rei replied. "Remember: this is only a program. You are faster than you think you are right now."

Shinji understood what Rei was saying, but he still stood there silently, his brows raised in disbelief.

"The actual strength of your muscles is irrelevant here, Ikari. If you can get past that, you might actually be able to hit me this time." Rei placed herself in a low stance, ready to fight again.

It's only a program.

Shinji's head droned on like this, as he tried to attack Ayanami again. Thoughts and ideas trickled into his closed mind slowly, but surely; Shinji seemed to match Rei move per move after a few minutes. He caught Rei off balance; she was surprised at the short amount of time Shinji realized it. Rei doubled her efforts, reacting with a more aggressive style of combat. It availed her naught. With machine-like efficiency, Shinji pushed away an attacking arm, and countered with an exceptionally quick combo of punches, stopping short of physical contact.

"That was very good," Rei merely said.

~~~~~

Day 13

If Kaji Ryoji had any doubts about Shinji's capabilities, they were almost completely wiped out that day.

"Jesus, nobody ever makes the first jump..."

"...but he made it." Misato finished his sentence.

The ones watching outside were not the only ones who were surprised.

Rei's face - - one that does not normally exhibit emotion - - carried one of shock as she watched her "student" jump from one skyscraper rooftop to an adjacent rooftop, stumbling slightly as he landed.

"What the h- -!" Shinji stood up straight, and slowly walked to the edge of the building to look down on the streets below, and then to the tower he jumped from.

"T-that was me?"

Back in the real world, a pair of eyes behind orange-tinted lenses lit up, and his lips curled into a twisted smile.

~~~~~

Three Weeks Later

"He is learning at an amazing rate for someone at such a young age. Could he be believing already, and so soon?"

"It would seem so."

"But he has not been told of what is expected of him! The way he is acting, it's almost like some sort of game- -"

"Nevertheless, we shall remain optimistic. The prophecy continues as scheduled, and soon we will be free."

"I still can't help but feel troubled... Like a premonition. This is all happening so fast. You can't take him to the Oracle yet."

"..."

"Hmph. Then again, when have you ever listened to me? Why do you have to put your 'son' through all of this? Well, if he is indeed your son."

"I warned you before..."

"That can't be proven; it happened in the Matrix!"

"One more word, and I will throw you in the brig for insubordination. I will hear no more."

Ritsuko smiled, and slipped out of the bed. "Fine. If you need me, I'll be in the shower."

~~~~~

End of Chapter 02

~~~~~

"...It's raining hard, isn't it, Asuka?"

"Yeah."

"Asuka... come on, let's go. I'm done with the attendance."

"Yeah."

"It's been three weeks. You're still worried about him, aren't you?"

"What?! Of course not! Why would I be worried if that idiot is lost or something? He couldn't find his way out of a cul-de-sac!"

"..."

"..."

"Come on, I'll walk you home."

"...Thank you, Hikari."

~~~~~

Notes: Thank you for reading this story, despite the glut of Eva/Matrix fiction out there already. And for past readers, I am sorry for taking so long to put out a chapter, and I am afraid this might happen again. Please be patient with me.

Gun-Kata is not exactly a real martial art, but rather, a concept. If you watch the movie Equilibrium, you'll understand.

Next Chapter - - Shinji is taken back to the Matrix, and some things that he should have left behind come back to haunt him. The One could not come at a better time, as Zion is about to be attacked, but is Shinji really the savior the humans are looking for? And if he is indeed The One, will Shinji accept his fate?

~~~~~

Legalese: Story © 11-41 Studios. The Matrix is the property of the Wachowski Brothers and Warner Brothers Studios. Evangelion is the property of Gainax, ADV, and Manga Entertainment.