Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Final War Evangelion ❯ Prolouge: The Angel War and the Prelude to the Apocalypse ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It started in the year 2000 A.D. of the human race. Mankind, in all of its glory and power, dominated the Earth. In their right mind, they considered themselves the rightful rulers of the world and their faith. God, an idea that was becoming more and more unbelievable and unfathomable with each passing day, only resided in his heaven and seem to have nothing to do with lives of his children who walked the land.
 
Then came a day in the southern reaches of Antarctica, when the world finally found proof of God. It was a being of supreme unfathomable and perhaps unlimited power, so great, it seemed as though the image of God himself had appeared. This being, a giant of light, was called Adam; named after the first man to walk the Earth. This was the first of God's messengers, his Angels, to walk the Earth.
 
However, man is forever dammed to his ignorance of the world as well as the human desire for knowledge and power. In that ignorance, man tried to make this God they found his tool, his toy. Outraged by such an attempt, the real God, thought of only in myth, struck down upon the Earth with great wraith to punish all of man for their mistake.
 
This event became known as the Second Impact. Though it was falsely claimed and widely believed by the now ruling governing body of Earth, The United Nations, to be caused by a renegade meteor, the truth was far from this and far more difficult to believe. In their attempts to make Adam's power their own, they caused that very power he wielded- a powerful new type of energy known as Super Solanoid Energy (S^2)- to implode, reducing the continent of Antarctica to nothingness and in turn, creating a massive tidal wave that engulfed the entire Earth. Nearly three fourths of the human race died, while many more would follow afterwards caused by the tremendous shift in the Earth's Axis and the seasons. Even more died in the oncoming riots of panic and mass hysteria.
 
It was later reviled through a set of mysterious documents known as the Dead Sea Scrolls; Adam was the first of these beings to come. In fifteen years, God would send forth fifteen more of his messengers; one for each passing year and each more powerful then the last. These beings would give mankind the only satisfying punishment it deserved for its sins: death.
 
To combat this, man would play God once more. Using their knowledge of science and technology, man strived to create a God from the God they had found. In this folly, many were successful and gave birth to the ultimate weapons: the biomechanical war machines, the Evangelions.
 
However, these powerful machines required the most fragile of possessions to pilot them: the soul of a child. For this task, three children were selected to battle the messengers of the lord. Each of them, these fragile souls, were laden with pain and suffering.
 
Then, in the year 2015, the war between the Angels and the humans began. The conflict, which took place in the new Babylon known as Tokyo 3, was filled with suffering and pain. Amongst the sufferers, were the pilots who fought on the battlefield, whose lives would forever be altered by the hell they witnessed with their own eyes.
 
But as the battles rocked the metropolis, the war beheld many conspiracies and hidden agendas. Attempts at becoming God and an everlasting existence. A controlled Third Impact called Instrumentality that would lead man to a nirvana that was false. Experiments with melding angelic DNA into humans. It would seem that as always man's worst enemy is from within.
 
Nevertheless, when the battlefield was silent, only one race stood in the final battle. The Angel of Free Will, Tabris otherwise known as Kawrou Nagaisa stood before the mother of mankind, the mysterious being Lillith and surrendered his life to the Evangelion pilot “The Third Child”, Shinji Ikari. And with his death, Mankind won their war with God and the right to control their destiny.
 
However, this story is only the beginning of another story. For in the shadows, the truth behind all truths lies hidden. A coming conflict is whispered silently in the wind. A new war, unknown to mankind is about to begin. A war unlike any witnessed before by human eyes. And this one will not be for mankind's life or freedom, but for their very souls.
 
This is that story.