Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Ignored, Abandoned, and Forsaken ❯ Confrontations ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ignored, Abandoned, and Forsaken

Ch. 2 "Confrontations"

I don't own Evangelion or its characters. You know the basic stuff. Just don't sue me and we will all be just peachy.

Like I stated before, this fic is eerily similar to Wake. Some of you doubted what I said, but this chapter should prove to you how similar the two fics are. Once again I will accept flames as long as they are well thought out and explained. I will not accept, "This sux!" as a review. All that tells me is that you have no intelligence. I'd like to thank all my previous reviewers. Just so you didn't miss it, I updated the first chapter in the new style of writing. I hope it goes over well. This will also be the chapter in which the switching viewpoints will be important. Well, as the song says, "Ok 3..2..1..Lets Jam!" (Cowboy Bebop "Tank!")

--------------------------

The next morning Asuka woke up in a sleepy daze. Every muscle and bone in her body hurt and she sill felt very tired. She almost dozed back to sleep when she realized that she was no longer outdoors. She was staring at the ceiling of her room.

What…the…hell?

She sat up almost crying in pain. She groggily gazed around the room. Just then she thought she heard a sound outside her door. It was the sound of someone walking around the apartment. "Shinji…?" Her voice was soft and tired due to the lack of use as well as her dry throat. Somehow Shinji had heard her and he stepped into her room to find her awake.

"So, how are you feeling Asuka?" She glared daggers at him and suddenly regained her voice from out of no where, "HOW DO YOU THINK I FEEL, BAKA! I'VE JUST BEEN THROUGH THIRD IMPACT AND YOU EXPECT ME TO FEEL JUST FINE! MORON!" [Since "baka" will be used quite a bit in this fic, I figured that I would substitute in some other insults.] Shinji cringed as he realized the old Asuka was back. As she observed this a wave of coldness flowed over her body just to be quick pushed aside that she was cold.

In a less threatening, but still annoyed, tone she spoke again, "How long have I been out and further more, where the hell are we?" Shinji took his time answering to ensure that his choice of words would no offend her, "You've been out for about 2 days. Yesterday, while I was wandering the city in search of food and shelter, I found that Misato's apartment was still here. Apparently we woke up on the beach just outside of Tokyo 3. It appears that there is nothing left of the Geofront. It is amazing that this place is still here. I found that there are quite a few places still intact enough for us to enter safely. We should be able to stay here for a while."

Asuka searches for some sarcastic remark to say and easily finds it, "Oh wow, the great invincible Shinji did something right for once. Did you expect me to give you a treat or something. Well forget it!"

Shinji is obviously hurt by the remark. Asuka starts to move again, but Shinji stops her, "Lay down." it was more of command than a statement, "You have a broken arm and an injured eye. That is not to mention the multiple stab wounds on you body. I don't know how the Eva transmitted battle damage to your body, but it did. So lay down and relax before you open up your old wounds."

Asuka is shocked by Shinji's show of force, but actually agrees with him. She decides to lay down and act like she had no choice, "baka…" Shinji actually smiles a bit at her reluctance and goes to fix her something to eat. Fifteen minutes later he comes back with some curry that he had found canned in the super market. As he places it on a small table within reach of her bed she addresses him, "Shinji, have you…seen anyone else?" His expression turns downcast as he replies, "No…no one yet."

Asuka seems to be lost in thought for a moment and catches Shinji with one last question before he leaves, "I wonder when Kaji will come back. Where are you going?" Shinji freezes in his tracks and his eyes seem to find the ground quite interesting. "Kaji…will probably come back with the others. I am going out to search the city some more. Is there anything I could try to pick up for you?"

"I don't need you to get me anything! I can go out to get it myself!" Asuka tries to get up only to be greeted with extreme pain. Finally, she gives up with a grunt and drifts off to sleep.

----------------------

It had been almost two days since that night of camping. Shinji had since found Misato's apartment still standing and had brought the sleeping Asuka there. He had also found quite a bit of useful buildings still standing. He had stocked up on some canned foods as well as medical supplies. It had started getting late out and Shinji was going out one last time to search a few areas of the city. He was about to leave when he thought he heard some calling his name. As he walked into Asuka's room he found her awake and sitting upright. Needless to say, Shinji was ecstatic to see her up. That is until she answered his question, "So, how are you feeling Asuka." A darkness seemed to take over the room as the fire lit in his roommate's eye. "HOW DO YOU THINK I FEEL, BAKA! I'VE JUST BEEN THROUGH THIRD IMPACT AND YOU EXPECT ME TO FEEL JUST FINE! BAKA!"

This had a depressing effect on Shinji. He had hoped she had changed since third impact, but apparently she was still the same.

Why me? One moment I think I may have a chance with her and the next my heart is thrown back in my face. It just isn't fair.

Shinji was still brooding in the silence of the room when she spoke again and this time with less malice as well as a lot less volume, "How long have I been out and further more, where the hell are we?". He then went about telling her of how he had been exploring the city and found this, as well as other, places still intact.

It appeared Asuka was searching for something to say and found it, "Oh wow, the great invincible Shinji did something right for once. Did you expect me to give you a treat or something. Well forget it!" A pang of guild and sadness washed over Shinji.

Will I ever be happy? Will she ever care?

As Asuka starts to move to get out of bed Shinji stops her, "Lay down." it came out more forceful than he intended but it had its desired effect on her, "You have a broken arm and an injured eye. That is not to mention the multiple stab wounds on you body. I don't know how the Eva transmitted battle damage to your body, but it did. So lay down and relax before you open up your old wounds."

She is obviously shocked by his tone, and surprisingly obeys with just a mumbled, "Baka…" As she rests he decides it is best if she had something to eat. The only thing he could find in the cabinets that he could make quickly was some instant curry.

I know she hates this stuff, but this all I got so she has got to live with it. Well, either that or kill me and eat me…nah…well…

He returns about 15 minutes later with her meal and places it on a TV tray that he had picked up from the city earlier. He figured she might need it. He is startled by her soft tone as she speaks once again. ""Shinji, have you…seen anyone else?" The question is something he never expected.

Until now…I never really thought about everyone else. I was just worried about…Asuka. I certainly haven't seen anyone…yet.

"No…no one yet." He replied in a dejected voice. Thinking she is done he turns to leave once again, but is caught by her voice. "I wonder when Kaji will come back. Where are you going?" His heart aches to hear his name again.

She still cares for him. After all this time all she can think about is where her dead crush is. Can't she see that he never cared for her like that. Can't she see that he loved Misato?! Why do I even care if she still loves him?! Maybe…I should just tell her the truth…he is dead. Maybe I should tell her that he is dead by his lover's hands! No…I couldn't do that to her…not now.

Shinji quickly thinks up a false response, "Kaji…will probably come back with the others. I am going out to search the city some more. Is there anything I could try to pick up for you?" As he speaks his eyes center themselves on a spot on the floor. The old familiar fingers of depression push their way back into his heart.

I will never be happy will I?

Asuka's fire is lit once more by the indication that she needs help. "I don't need you to get me anything! I can go out to get it myself!" She vainly attempts to stand up only to topple back onto the bed in defeat. Her sudden activity driver her back into a sleep. Shinji walks over to her and pulls the covers over her and brushes away a few strands of hair that reside over her face. With a sorrowful sigh he stands and exits the room.

--------------------------

[Na here is where I sw'ch it up yo! Ya, j'st like a DJ I am sw'chen it up! Ok, lets be realistic here. I am a white male living in the suburbs of Chicago…my ability to speak, let alone type, in this way…well sucks…big time. I am sorry if I offended anyone. I just wanted to see what reaction I would get. Though, I will be switching some thing around. This section will be in *Gasp* Shinji's perspective. I didn't want anyone confused thinking this is supposed to be from Asuka's perspective. LOL]

For the next month the two last surviving humans fall into a routine: Shinji wakes up=>showers=>makes breakfast from what little materials he has=>wakes Asuka with breakfast=> checks her bandages and/or cleans them and/or replaces them with new ones=>Shinji does housework/repairs/gardening/builds/searches=>returns home to make lunch=>returns to his previous duties=>fixes dinner=>checks on Asuka's bandages once again=>showers=>goes to sleep. True, variations in this schedule do occur, but this is the basic layout of the days. Asuka spends most of her time sleeping and eating. She miraculously gains little to no weight. When She speaks to Shinji the conversation usually revolves around Kaji, how stupid/incompetent Shinji is, the lack of humans, and/or how she doesn't need any help. Shinji's patience on the Kaji issue is quickly eroding. He can take the insults and her fiery attitude towards help, but after a month of Kaji stuff he is quited annoyed. The last night of the month Shinji is checking Asuka's bandages when the issue comes up again.

Asuka is lying on her back as Shinji finished re-bandaging her arm, which is nearly done healing, but requires more time. He then moves up to her eye. He delicately pulls back the medical tape and examines the now healed scar. He slowly probes the wound with his finger to ensure that it is fully healed. The stab wounds on her torso had healed a while back only leaving behind white scars. The conversation this night is relatively light, but that will all change very soon. Shinji instructs her, "Follow my finger with your eyes." She complies and it is obvious that it is healed completely. The unfortunate thing is that she doesn't realize that her eye color has mutated into a reddish pigment. "Your eye is healed…but…well see for yourself."

This is gonna be bad.

He hands her a small mirror from her dresser and walks out of the room intending to escape the onslaught of curses and attacks sure to ensue. He barely has the door closed when he hears, "MEIN GOTT! I LOOK LIKE THAT DOLL! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!" It continues in this way for another hour with addition of large objects (or possibly fists/feet) striking the walls. After things had settled down Shinji decides to venture into the danger zone to examine the damage both to person and building. As he enters he finds her lying on the bed staring at the ceiling above her. She barely registers his entry.

She then speaks to him without even looking at him, "I'm hideous…how can Kaji ever love me now. I am just a freak. I am so ugly. No one can ever love…no care for me again. I am so alone."

I can't take this anymore! All she ever does is whine about Kaji this and Kaji that! Argh! After all I have done for her and what do I get…I get another "baka" or "Dumpkoff"[is that how you spell dumpkoff?]! Not a single thank you or otherwise. No, not anymore. Enough of this Kaji shit!

"He isn't coming back! Kaji is dead! He was killed before Third Impact. He is gone!" Asuka turns her head to look at Shinji with a confused look, "What…? What do you mean Shinji? How do you know?"

Somewhere during that month Shinji had come to a conclusion as to why he cared about her speaking of Kaji. He figured out that, if nothing else, he care deeply for her and she apparently didn't feel the same towards him.

"How do I know! I admit that I was more than a little out of it during the last months before Third Impact, but one thing I remember is Misato coming home late one night. She spent the entire night listening to a message on the answering machine. It was a message from Kaji and all she did was cry. She cried all night long. It wasn't until I overheard Ritsuko talking to my father about it that I learned what happened. He had gotten to close and both SEELE and my father wanted him dead. My father wanted to test Misato's loyalty so he assigned Misato to kill him. She did it. Misato killed Kaji and I don't see how you can love him. He loved Misato and no one else. She loved him back equally, but could never come to terms with her feelings for him. If anything Kaji only saw you as his daughter or niece…nothing more." Asuka seemed shocked to learn the truth.

"He's…dead. It doesn't matter. It just means that there is one less person to think of me as a freak. No one will ever care anyway." Asuka's rant of self pity was cut off by Shinji, "That is not true! You know how I know that, because I care for you. I could care less if one of your eyes is red and the other is blue. If Kaji wouldn't care for you just for that reason then he didn't deserve to care in the first place! Then again…who cares what I think…right Asuka." With that he stands and walks to the doorway. There he pauses, "I am gonna sleep somewhere else tonight. I'll be back in the morning." Shinji leaves the completely shocked Asuka in her room.

He spends another hour of wandering the dark ruins of the city to find the lake where he first met Kaoru [take note people this is how you spell his name]. After a bit of struggling he manages to climb onto a 5-foot tall piece of rubble jutting out from the lake near the shore. Shinji sits with his legs hanging off the edge and stares out over the placid lake and up at the stars. After a while of pondering his next actions Shinji lays down, the piece of rubble being just big enough for him to do that, with his legs still dangling off the side. [Shinji must have been really tired because that would have to be a very uncomfortable position to sleep in] As he falls to sleep he make a decision on the issue that he had been pondering for a week now.

After she is all healed up. After she is ready to live in this hellhole. After all that…I will leave. Why would she care anyway?

To be continued…

-------------------

Ok this is the very very very…etc version of the fic. I have yet to go back and spell check everything. Things may be changed and/or added/removed. All this depends on reactions to this part of the fic. Please review. I can't think of much else to say. Oh, by now you can start to see similarities to Wake. Seeing as I have had much time to think about this fic, I have been able to change this fic around a bunch as to eliminate many similarities to Wake. I still suggest it, it is a very good fic. Hope you enjoyed my fic and please review. I will try to e-mail anyone who reviews to thank. Again my schedule to get out the last chapter is uncertain, as I have…no that info is secret. Lets just say I have a shit load of other stuff to do, so this next chapter may take some time. Revisions may take a while as well, but not as long as an entirely new chapter. `till next time…keep reading and reviewing.