Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Ritual Habitual ❯ Second Step ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Evangelion Fanfiction

By Otaku D-Man

Standard Disclaimer.

Refer First Step

Author's Pre-Rant -

I can only suggest that all the rabid Asuka fans bear with me on this. Things will more than likely appear somewhat ……….odd, but only for a little while. Things take time to develop, especially when you're trying to promote the potential feelings hidden inside each of the main protagonists. I think it's called a plot device. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)

Ritual Habitual

Second Step - Asuka's 'Nike' Principle : 'Just Do It Baka!'

Katsuragi / Ikari / Sohryu Residence

"Hey Shinji."

Shinji cringed, almost instinctively upon hearing this particular voice. Hunching over slightly in the effort of presenting a smaller, hopefully somewhat less inviting target, he desperately began scouring his memory, wondering just what it was that he had done this time to deserve her attention. Unable to recall any singular incident, he instead analysed the tone of his self appointed Judge, Jury and soon-to-be Executioner's voice. It lacked the typical condescending sarcasm that was usually present whenever she chose to talk to him. All things considered, he found something faintly disturbing about it, something that hinted at repercussions that had yet to eventuate.

"Baka Shinji, are you listening to me?"

Realising he had been too lost in his examination of things to actually answer, Shinji quickly turned around. "Yes Asuka?" The spatula he was holding slipped from his fingers and fell, clattering on the kitchen floor. His jaw hung dropped and found himself unable to do anything more than stare openly at the unusual sight before him.

Standing there with one hand perched on her hip and her school satchel slung over her shoulder, was Asuka Langley Sohryu, dressed and apparently ready to leave for school. Not a totally unheard of thing considering it was a school day and she was after all, an enrolled student of Tokyo-3 Municipal Middle School. What had surprised the boy, causing his slack jawed reaction, was that his colleague and flatmate was ready to depart an entire hour before she otherwise normally would.

"I'm meeting Hikari at school to help with some preparations for the school festival." Striding over to stand directly in front of the obviously still confused youth, Asuka ran an appreciative eye over the food Shinji was preparing for both breakfast and lunch. Swiping the French toast, she leaned in close, forcing him to edge back against the bench top. "Don't forget to bring my lunch okay." Her clear, sky blue eye's tore past all his meagre psychological barriers, pinning him more effectively than one of Misato's more adventurous bear-hugs ever could. "And make sure there's plenty in it." Satisfied that Shinji understood the implications of non-compliance, Asuka gently patted his cheek before swiftly turning and walking away, munching on one of the pilfered morsels, leaving the befuddled boy in her wake.

Yawning loudly, Misato staggered into the kitchen, wondering how her superiors would react if she decided to call in sick. Somehow she suspected that Commander Ikari would simply have her dragged in, kicking and screaming if necessary. The first thing she noticed was the black smoke beginning to fill her small apartment. The next thing her sleep deprived mind recognised was the stunned fourteen-year-old boy in his apron, standing there apparently staring off into space oblivious to the rapidly incinerating food. "Shinji-kun. I know I'm not all that great in the kitchen, but since when did charcoal become the breakfast of champions in this household?" Misato wandered over, eyeing the black, smouldering lumps on the stove. "Shinji?" Misato waved a hand in front of his eyes, wondering what had caused his absent minded behaviour.

***

Ayanami Residence

Asuka stared around the apartment, noting how drab and plain it all seemed. <Exactly like its tenant I suppose.> Removing her shoes she stepped gingerly across the threshold, unable to conceal her disgust at the terrible state of the apartment. "Geez Ayanami, Baka Shinji really downplayed just how decrepit this place is. Have you ever considered upgrading?" Her nose wrinkled at the accumulated piles of refuse, wondering how anyone could live in such squalor. "I know a couple of dumpsters availablethat are closer to NERV and everything." Moving past the unmade bed, she stopped to inspect one of the available chairs in the small kitchen area of the untidy apartment. "Is it safe to sit on these?" She asked, looking at the poor condition of the frame and the padding. <If this is how he treats his favourite, Baka Shinji should count his blessings that his father ignores him.>

"The chairs are stable and capable of supporting even a fully grown adult male." Seating herself in the opposite chair, Rei rested both her hands in her lap and waited for her guest to explain her presence. "The apartment serves well enough to rest and recuperate when I am not at NERV. Nothing more is required." Rei wondered if the state of her living quarters was all the Second Children had come to discuss. "Your message last night indicated you had something of importance to discuss."

The response nearly had Asuka burst into uncontrollable hysterics, although for the sake of her plan, she managed to reign in her instinct to laugh in the face of the weird First Children. "Have you ever listened to yourself Ayanami? All work and no play makes for one extremely super dull Wonder Girl. Or does your precious Commander frown on people actually enjoying themselves?"

Rei bristled at the disparaging remark about the man that had raised and cared for her. Rising to her feet, she fixed her crimson eyes on Asuka. The rage she felt welling up was similar to the fury she had experienced when the Third Children had cast doubt upon his own father. If she had been standing any closer, she knew she would have most likely treated the Second Children to a similar punishment. "If you have nothing of substance to say I -"

Asuka eyed Rei with a degree of surprise, mildly amused that she had managed to provoke an emotional response from the girl she suspected ran on batteries. "Yeah yeah, don't get bent all out of shape." Asuka replied, dismissing the First Children's unexpected outburst with a negligent wave of her hand. "I promise I won't talk about your precious Commander anymore, okay?"

Recovering her composure, Rei once again lowered herself into the seat. "That is acceptable." She watched the Pilot of Unit 02 sceptically, expecting the Second Children to continue with her careless remarks.

"It better be." With her agitation increasing with each passing moment, Asuka took a deep breath before continuing. "Look, I'll get to the point. What do you think about Shinji?" She watched the blue haired Pilot of Unit 00 carefully, closely scrutinising the pale girl's face for any hint of the truth, deception or otherwise. Everything hinged on the girl's answer. It was a less than ideal situation, but she simply had no other options available.

"Ikari is a valued member of NERV's combat force." Rei answered automatically, the timbre of her voice and her facial expression not altering. "His ability as a Pilo-"

Slamming her palm down on the table, Asuka stood up and leaned across the table, frustration evident in the visibly throbbing veins that appeared at her temple. "Yeesh." Dragging her hand down her face, she stared through the fingers at her Rei. "How blunt do I have to be? Listen carefully Wonder Girl." Leaning in close, Asuka slowly enunciated every syllable of her question. "DO-YOU-LIKE-SHINJI?" before Rei could even reply, she clarified the question with specifics. "Not as an EVA Pilot," She ticked off on one finger, "or because he's the son of your precious Commander," Ticking another finger, "but as a boy. You know, the way most normal girls would like a boy." Asuka sighed, sitting back down to wait for the response that would determine whether her plan had any chance of succeeding or not. <Does she even know what it means for a girl to like a boy?>

***

Katsuragi / Ikari / Sohryu Residence

"Oh, the door." Hearing the chime heralding the arrival of visitors, Misato quickly leapt to her feet and dashed past Shinji who was busy preparing his second attempt at breakfast. "No, don't trouble yourself Shinji-kun." She grinned broadly, waving the boy back. "I'll answer it. Can't have you ruining breakfast again now, can we?"

"Dressed like that?" Shinji stared incredulously at his guardian, his eyes running over the skimpy cotton tank top and high cut, flimsy shorts she was wearing. Her regular choice of clothing around the apartment often exposed more of her firm, supple flesh than it concealed and even now, after all the time he had lived with her, he still felt uncomfortable with how Misato paraded herself around the apartment, seemingly indifferent to the simple fact that a teenaged boy lived under the same roof with her. "Misato-san, it's probably Touji and Kensuke, shouldn't you," His cheeks burned uncomfortably as he realised she wasn't even wearing a bra, "well you know," Shinji forced his eyes to gaze at the floor, "put something decent on?"

"Nope." Misato declared, looking down and checking her appearance, satisfied that it wasn't overly indiscrete and then deciding to drop one of the shoulders of her top, offering more of a tantalising glimpse of her bosom. "This seems just about perfect."

Closing his eyes, Shinji could already see how his day was going to proceed. He sighed disconsolately, imagining just how his two friends would react to Misato's scandalous behaviour. "Do you know how embarrassing it is?"

"I'm not embarrassed." Stepping in front of the now bright red young man, Misato posed suggestively, watching how Shinji's eyes constantly flickered between her and the floor. "Not in the slightest."

"But I am." Time and time again he tried to convince Misato against following through on her more spontaneous decisions. He was gradually arriving at the conclusion that his complaints only spurred her on, encouraging her to explore new and uncharted territories on how to torment him.

"That's why I'm doing this." Misato hugged him, enjoying how he squirmed in her tight embrace. "It's for your own good Shin-chan. You know that don't you?" She asked sweetly, her innocence marred by the twinkle of merriment sparkling in her dark, lustrous eyes.

"Don't you ever get tired of teasing me?" He muttered, his shoulders slumping as the sensation of helplessness in the face of a superior force robbed him of his strength and determination.

"It's too much fun. I just can't help myself." Planting a kiss on his brow, Misato disappeared around the corner to answer the door.

"Good Morning M-m-m-misato-s-s-s-san." Shinji could only shake his head in despair. The overly exuberant sound of his friend's voices made it quite clear that they were ecstatic to be greeted by an immodestly dressed Misato. Their stuttering reply indicating that Misato's early morning game had exceeded their hopes and expectations.

"Morning boys." Misato's husky voice sent a shiver down Shinji's spine. He could only imagine the kind of provocative pose she was presenting to his friends. "Here to see Shinji? He's in the kitchen getting ready. Follow me." He could only surmise that the calamitous sound that followed was both Touji and Kensuke falling over each other in an attempt to be the one following directly behind Misato.

"I'd follow you anywhere Misato-san." If it were possible, Shinji felt sure he could feel the teenaged hormones literally flowing through the apartment.

"Shinji-kun, you're friends are here to see you." Misato sashayed into the kitchen, the look of accomplishment on her face proclaiming to the world that she had completed her first task of the day successfully.

All Shinji could manage to think was how Misato managed to move her body as she did. Everything flowed with a hypnotic grace that defied comprehension. "Thank you Misato-san."

"No problem Shinji-kun, any time." She smiled and winked, walking past the highly embarressed and slightly annoyed boy and on to her room.

Without even sparing Shinji a glance, both boys followed Misato to her room, only to be brought back to earth by Misato's gentle reminder that Shinji was waiting for them in the kitchen and not in her bedroom.

Returning to the kitchen, both Touji and Kensuke took up positions in the kitchen that allowed them to fully appreciate Misato's substantial assets as she returned and sat at the kitchen table to begin devouring her breakfast.

Noticing his friends literally drooling, he waved his hand in front of them, obstructing their view momentarily. "Hey Touji, Kensuke. I'll be ready in a minute."

"Take your time Shinji." Touji remarked absently, unable and unwilling to take his eyes of the lavender haired beauty, who had now tilted her head and was slowly draining her Yebisu.

Kensuke made a show of trying to sort out some sort of problem with his camera while covertly filming his Military Goddess. "Yeah, take as long as you need, all day would be just fine." Considering how Misato was dressed, Kensuke slowly began evaluating the best way to capitalise on the footage. <I can upload the digital footage to my secure area on the school's server and sell individual screen captures.>

"Now boys." Misato said with a knowing smile, moving to stand beside Shinji. "Shinji needs to go to school," She winked directly into Kensuke's camera lens before leaning in to soundly kiss his cheek, "don't you Shin-chan."

Wiping the remnants of Misato's affectionate display off his face, Shinji glared at the older woman, annoyed by her serious lack of discretion in front of his highly impressionable friends. "Yeah. The sooner the better." He grumbled sarcastically, knowing that he would be fielding questions generated by the student rumour mill for the next week at least.

"Okay, I'll see you later tonight. Have a fun day." Misato cried out, waving dramatically.

"Misato-san!" Shinji grabbed his backpack, stuffed both his and Asuka's lunches inside and stormed off to put his shoes on and escape the insanity of his home for the remainder of the day.

"Later boys." With Shinji gone, Misato grabbed a can from her Yebisu fridge and wandered off to enjoy a relaxing soak before she had to leave for work.

"Bye Misato-san." Both boys waited until she was completely out of site before leaving the apartment to join their temperamental young friend outside.

***

Streets of Tokyo-3

"Each and every day." Shinji moaned, kicking idly at a large stone on the footpath. "I think she's getting worse." He watched it bounce along the concrete path only to fall off the side and down into a storm drain. "Down the drain." He muttered softly. "Just like my life."

Placing the straps for his satchel around his forehead, Touji Suzuhara cast a withering gaze at Shinji before snorting in disbelief. "Just listen to him Ken. I think our spoiled young friend needs a reality check." With that said, he delivered his own version of a reality check by cuffing the sullen boy none to gently across the back of the head.

Nodding in total agreement with his larger friend, Kensuke pushed his spectacles back up the bridge of his nose. "Yeah. He has everything handed to him on a plate and it's still not enough to make him happy." Throwing his arms out, he shrugged, confused by Shinji's continual campaign of just how terrible life was. "Some people just don't know how good they have it."

Rubbing the back of his head, massaging the point of Touji's unexpected slap, he looked at the disapproving expressions that both of his friends were directing at him. "Yeah. I have everything don't I? My own father doesn't want me around unless it's to risk my life fighting giant monsters that want to end existence and my best friends only come to see me so they can drool over my guardian." He frowned when both boys began nodding vigorously at his words.

"Misato-san definitely was hot today, wasn't she?" Touji sighed dreamily, recalling in vivid detail just how spectacular Misato had looked to his hormonally charged eyes.

"And will undoubtedly be tomorrow -" Kensuke agreed enthusiastically.

" - And every day after that." Touji added, both boys ending their declaration with a high five.

"You guys need help." Casting his eyes to the heavens above, Shinji watched the inhabitants of the sky above, the clouds and birds, fly by, unfettered by the petty machinations of humanity below. <It'd be nice to just fly away. Leave everything behind and be free.>

"There was something missing this morning though," Touji folded his arms and began sorting through the events of the morning and what had been different to other times they had visited Shinji, "I just can't place it."

"Yeah. It was almost," Kensuke paused, looking for the word that best described the nagging sensation that had disturbed him since arriving at Shinji's apartment, "serene."

Slamming his fist into his palm, Touji shared his revelation with the other two boys. "The Devil!" He spat venomously. "I didn't hear her noisy bitching." Asuka's constant complaints whenever they were present had become so commonplace, he was surprised that he hadn't noticed her absence. <But then Misato-san was especially good today and I'm pretty sure she wasn't even wearing a bra.>

"Asuka said she had to go to school early to meet the Class Representative." Shinji explained, recalling his earlier discussion with the young girl in question. "Something about a school festival." Shinji paused to consider his own words. He knew that he rarely paid any attention in class or to school in general, but he couldn't recall hearing anything about an upcoming festival.

"Don't remember nothin' about a school festival comin' up." Touji frowned. "But man, I wish the Rep wouldn't hang around the Devil so much. She's bad enough without the red headed bitch's influence." Over the last couple of years, he had found himself the target, more often than not, of the Class Representative's attention. Now that she had paired up with the Red Devil, her personality had, at least in his opinion, taken a decided turn for the worse.

"You said it." Kensuke agreed, carefully reviewing his prized footage of Misato. "Devil Girl's like a plague that infects everything with her evil personality."

"Asuka's not that bad guys." Shinji suspected his vain attempt at defending Asuka was falling on deaf ears. "Really." He tried to assure them, their disgusted expressions of disbelief informing him of just how wasted and futile his efforts were.

"You're only saying that because you're married to her." Touji placed his hands on Shinji's shoulders, watching his friend sadly. "You have my sympathies my friend." He said mournfully, wiping a mock tear away. "Your sacrifice has spared us all."

"Touji's right," Kensuke added, safely securing his treasured video disk for later editing and duplication, "you're just defending the wife." This time both boys broke into fits of boisterous laughter at the commonplace assumption that Shinji and Asuka's living arrangements were more than just a tactical decision enforced by NERV. "But seriously Shinji, you need to ditch the bitch and find a real woman." Kensuke's expression turned ominous, the humour suddenly replaced by grim determination. "As long as you don't take Misato-san though." He warned the boy, his glasses flashing dangerously.

"Yeah. Misato-san's mine." Touji proclaimed loudly, wondering what it would take to make that particular fantasy a reality. "Don't you dare lay a finger on those heavenly boo-"

"Just what are you idiots talking about?" A young, female voice interrupted from behind the arguing trio. An angry, young, female voice. "Katsuragi-san isn't there for you perverts to fantasise about."

Touji paused in his attempt at throttling the life from Kensuke, his eyes opening in shock and surprise. "Class Rep? What are you doing here?" Touji felt a sense of dread wash over him. Looking into the young brunette's eyes, he gulped audibly, seeing a fierce look of annoyance laced liberally with anger. <Shit. Another lecture.>

"Uhhm, excuse me Class Representative Horaki?" Shinji interjected, distracting the young girl before she could launch into her first tirade for the day.

Turning to face the timid young boy, Hikari smiled, making a mental note to continue her little discussion with Touji later on. "Yes Ikari-kun?"

"Have you finished talking to Asuka already?" He asked, confused by the fact that Hikari was obviously walking to school alone.

"Asuka?" Hikari frowned slightly. "I haven't seen her yet. Why?"

"Oh, it's nothing important." Shinji raised his hands, hoping that he hadn't accidently involved himself in something that would undoubtedly return to haunt him. Experience had taught him that Asuka rarely did something without a reason and she rarely, if ever explained those reasons. At least not to him.

***

Tokyo-3 MunicipalMiddle School

"Guten Morgen Hikari." Asuka called out, waving to her friend as she entered the classroom. She had purposely delayed her arrival, not wanting to be seen in the company of the recalcitrant First Children.

"Morning Asuka." Hikari replied, attempting to sound cheerful and failing miserably. "How are you?" She asked, suddenly finding the surface of her desk of great interest.

Seeing her best friend was upset about something, Asuka walked over and sat on the girl's desk. "What's up?" Asuka followed Hikari's brief glance. "What did they do this time?" She asked, her gaze falling on the trio of Shinji, Touji and Kensuke, who were engaged in a discussion involving a great deal of gesticulating.

"Nothing much really." Hikari shrugged. "They were talking about Katsuragi-san and……." Hikari stopped herself. Repeating it only made the unpleasant sensation worse. "I shouldn't be surprised." She murmured softly. "If I wasn't the Class Representative, Suzuhara-kun would barely even know I'm alive." She knew what most teenaged boys looked for in a girl and knew without a doubt that her own modest attributes were hardly the sort of things that would attract a certain young athlete's attention.

Asuka rolled her eyes, sliding off the desk to pull a chair up to sit next to her friend. "I told you Hikari. Little boys aren't even worth the effort." She directed her gaze at the small cluster of boys that now surrounded the Idiot Trio, all of them waving handfuls of Yen and wildly exclaiming their desire to purchase something the Military Otaku was obviously selling. "You should raise your standards and set your sights on someone more mature." Asuka closed her eyes and smiled wistfully, thinking of the man she just knew was perfect for her. There was no one that could match her Kaji-san.

"He's a good person Asuka, but I can't help how I feel. It's just………." Gripping the hem of her skirt, Hikari raised her eyes and looked at Asuka, hoping her more knowledgeable friend would have an answer to her quandary. "How am I meant to compete with someone like Katsuragi-san?" She had met the gorgeous Major a number of times now and couldn't help but feel envious at how spectacular the older woman appeared, without even trying to.

"Well, fortune is going to smile upon you today Hikari Horaki." Asuka declared confidently.

Hikari tilted her head, slightly confused by Asuka's peculiar statement. "What do you mean Asuka?"

"Who's scheduled for after school duties?" Asuka's eyes narrowed sharply when she heard one boy cry out something about how lucky Shinji was to have a gorgeous woman kiss him. She shook her head, certain that it was simply her imagination.

"Actually, you, Aida and Minami are. Why?" She asked, perplexed by the sudden shift in topic.

"There's been a change in plans." Asuka turned back to Hikari to explain just what those changes involved. "You're going to see to it that Baka Shinji and Wonder Girl are the only ones here after school." This was quintessential to almost everything her meticulously thought out plan required.

"But why?" Years spent developing her skills as a trusted Class Representative provided Hikari the courage to question Asuka, where others would have simply given way, fearing the temperamental girl's fearsome reputation for exacting revenge against those that dared to oppose her.

"Don't worry about it. Just do it." Having spent the better part of an hour explaining the ritualistic order of things necessary for promoting burgeoning relationships between the male and female of the human species to an emotionally challenged Fourteen year old girl had tested her resilience beyond all endurance and she wasn't about to let her efforts simply go to waste. Not for Hikari, not for anyone. "You're going to be home tonight, right?" She asked, swiftly changing the topic again. Her keen intellect already rapidly organising and resolving the multitude of problems that were likely to occur.

The fierce determination burning behind Asuka's eyes convinced Hikari that it was better to simply follow Asuka's lead, wherever it may take her, rather than oppose it. "Pretty much. Dad's been working late, so it'll just be me, Kodama and Nozomi."

"Good." Asuka said happily, pleased that her friend wasn't going to impede her plan. She ran a speculative gaze over Hikari, first frowning then nodding to herself when the answer presented itself. "Make sure you're wearing something nice. Nothing flashy or anything, just something ………cute. Yeah, cute should work like a charm."

"Asuka. What's happening?" Hikari couldn't hide the trepidation in her voice. The inauspicious, almost threatening grin plastered across Asuka's face had her feeling vaguely worried. "Is everything all right?"

"Trust me Hikari. Once I'm finished, everything will be just perfect." Asuka gazed across the room at Shinji, her eyes boring into his subdued profile. "I just need to finalise a few things."

***

"Baka. We need to talk." Asuka's eyes drifted scornfully over the other two boys who were doing near perfect imitations of ravenous hyena's savagely devouring their food. "In private." She moved to grab the boy and drag him away to explain his important roll in her grand scheme.

Annoyed at Asuka's sudden appearance and imperious manner, Touji climbed to his feet and blocked her from reaching her intended target. "Geez, can't you leave him alone for a minute?" He crossed his arms and stood his ground, ignoring the murderous expression developing on the girl's face. "You don't own him or anything."

Fully aware that Asuka was almost about to show Touji just how well trained in the martial arts she was, Shinji hastily leapt to his feet and positioned himself between the two combatants. "It's okay Touji. It's probably about NERV. I'm kind of obligated to go with her."

Unsure of what to say, knowing how Shinji felt about NERV and EVA's in general, Touji placed a hand reassuringly on Shinji's shoulder before directing one final look of contempt and disgust at Asuka. "Okay Shin-man. Just don't let her push you around or nothin'."

Shinji felt a cold sweat trickle down his back when he turned to face Asuka. Smiling despite the intense fear he was experiencing, he quickly ushered her away before she lost control and intentionally hospitalised one of his best friends. "What did you want to talk about Asuka?"

"I hope they decide that jerk's an Angel one day." Grabbing his wrist, Asuka stormed off, dragging Shinji along. "I'd pay the commander for the privilege of erasing his sorry ass from existence."

"Uhmm Asuka." Shinji stared down at his arm that Asuka had taken possession of, her hand gripped tightly around his wrist as she led him away. The snickering and whispered giggles of some of the students they passed caused his cheeks to burn with embarrassment.

Satisfied that they were now alone and that no one would overhear their conversation, Asuka gently pushed Shinji back against a wall, holding him in place with one hand pressed firmly against his chest. "Listen up. You're on clean-up duty after school with Ayanami today." As soon as he dropped his eyes to the ground, she used her free hand to grab his chin and lift his head, forcing him to meet her gaze. "As soon as you get the opportunity, you're going to invite her over for dinner tonight."

His eye's opened as wide as they possibly could and had Asuka not been pinning him in place, he would have literally fallen to the ground in disbelief. "What -"

"Shut up while I'm talking." She snapped, silencing his protests. "After dinner, you'll offer to walk her home to her dump, I mean her apartment," She corrected herself reluctantly, "and you will then ask her to join you for a weekend visit to the beach."

"But do-mpfh"

Moving her hand up from his chin, Asuka pressed it over his mouth, her patience diminishing with each and every interruption. "Now I know you're probably hoping to get her on her own and do all sorts of perverted things," She leaned in close, lowering her voice to a barely audible whisper, "but you won't be going alone. This will be a group trip. So get your mind out of the sewer." Releasing her captive, Asuka stepped back, pleased that Shinji knew well enough to remain where he was. "I've checked with Misato and she's going to arrange it so we're all free from tests or any other crap at NERV for the weekend." A frown quickly replaced her radiant smile as she levelled an index finger directly between his eyes. "So don't mess it up."

Swallowing slowly Shinji shifted nervously. "Why -"

Asuka's frown darkened considerably. "Do you understand?" She crossed her arms across her chest and began tapping a foot impatiently. "Yes or no."

"Yes Asuka." Shinji answered automatically, still oblivious to Asuka's true motives. Especially considering she made no effort to conceal her growing dislike for Rei Ayanami. He wasn't too sure what had happened between the two girls, but having lived with Asuka for a while now, he simply put it down to her competitive nature, especially when it came to EVA.

Uncrossing her arms, Asuka smiled once again, happy that Shinji was willing to comply with her request. "Good boy." She said, walking away to rejoin Hikari for the remainder of lunch. "Just do as you're told and everything will work out fine." She stopped and quickly twirled around, her fierce gaze halting Shinji in mid-step. "Don't drop the ball on this one Ikari. You do not want to know the consequences for failure." Asuka advised her unwitting pawn, deciding it was best that Shinji understand that failure was not an allowable option. Not if he knew what was good for him.

"O-okay." Shinji stammered, wondering what Asuka was hoping to achieve from all this.

***

NERV - Office of Commander Ikari

"…..and that's why I feel it would be in the best interests of us all to allow the Children a brief period to relax." Misato resisted the near overwhelming urge to take a deep, relaxing breath. The agreement she had made to Asuka to somehow convince Commander Ikari that all three Pilots needed a weekend vacation was starting to resemble her last attempt at cooking. Unappetising, slightly hazardous and requiring the support of an emergency response team. <Asuka better be right about this being something to help Shinji-kun.> Misato grumbled mentally to herself. Her current predicament was only because Asuka had convinced her that it would shake Shinji out of the growing depression he was slipping into.

Throughout Misato's explanation, Gendou had sat silently, only barely listening to the reasons behind her proposal. After a lengthy pause he decided to express his opinion on the matter. "Major, this organisation is not in the business of catering to the petty desires and needs of children. NERV exists for one purpose and one purpose only." His eyes moved to encompass the woman standing beside his Director of Tactical Operations. "Do you have anything to add to this discussion Doctor Akagi?"

Glancing up from her clipboard, Ritsuko removed her spectacles before responding. "Actually, I have to side with Major Katsuragi on this one."

"Explain." Gendou demanded unequivocally.

Placing the clipboard on the desk in front of Gendou, Ritsuko pointed to one paragraph in particular, knowing Gendou would immediately understand. "Recent tests indicate that 'All' of the Children are experiencing undue stress and tension that could very well hamper their ability to synchronise with 'The System'." She knew that Gendou could not have cared less about the mental fatigue that the Pilots were experiencing, but what would worry him were the signs that Rei was also beginning to show signs of emotional instability that would ultimately affect her rigorous sessions with the Dummy Plug System.

Reviewing the document, Gendou considered the implications it hinted at. "I see. Very well. Major, I expect you to organise all necessary emergency procedures for the retrieval of the Pilots should the situation merit such action."

"Understood Sir." Misato saluted crisply, amazed that she had somehow managed to achieve the impossible.

Behind his hands, Gendou smirked. "This will necessitate your presence at Headquarters, Major." The crestfallen look on Misato's face told him she had obviously hoped to accompany the Children on their little excursion. "You will be personally responsible for all security measures during this period. I suggest a suitable temporary guardian be found to monitor them on site during their leave of absence."

"Yes Commander." Misato's arm slowly fell back to her side, all joy and jubilation at her incredible victory now replaced by the unwelcome prospect of long hours reviewing surveillance reports and submitting updates and schedules to Commander Ikari and the Security teams.

After being dismissed, both Misato and Ritsuko walked along the corridor, their expressions at opposite ends of the emotional spectrum. "A substitute guardian?" Misato mused, turning to look at her altogether, far too happy friend. "Ritsu-chan, what -"

"Don't even think about it Misato." Ritsuko quickly answered before Misato could finish her question. "I have enough to do without playing glorified baby-sitter as well."

***

Suzuhara Residence

Stepping out of the elevator, Touji walked along the hallway that led to his family's apartment. The tune he was aimlessly whistling came to a sudden halt and the basketball he was carrying dropped from his hand and bounced forward before coming to a stop beneath a distinctly feminine foot. "Gaahh! What the hell are you doing here?" He screamed, pointing wildly at the girl loitering outside his front door.

Asuka rolled the ball back and forth under her foot a couple of times before nudging it back to its owner. "It's about time." She glanced down at her watch, frowning at what it told her. "Where the hell have you been? I would have thought even an imbecile like you would know the way back to your own home."

Picking his ball up, Touji walked up and stood directly in front of Asuka, staring down his nose at the girl. "What I do is none of your business Red, but for your information I was visiting my little sister."

"Look, it's terrible about what happened to your sister," Asuka offered sympathetically, understanding something of young Mari Suzuhara's condition after talking with Misato, "but I don't really want to have to spend any more time here than absolutely necessary. Hurry up and get inside before someone sees us." She said anxiously, spinning Touji around and pushing him towards his front door. "The last thing I need is some nosy idiot spreading baseless rumours."

"Inside? What makes you thi-"

Gritting her teeth, Asuka continued to shove the larger boy along. "Why is it you idiots never just do as you're told? Move it Suzuhara. We don't have all night."

Bracing himself against her determined efforts, Touji scowled and turned to look back over his shoulder at his unwelcome and uninvited guest. "I ain't budging another inch until you tell me what's going on."

Sighing at Touji's obstinate behaviour, Asuka took a deep, calming breath. "Have it your way."

"Hey, what the he-" He exclaimed as Asuka tore his school bag from his hand and quickly rifled through it, eventually brandishing a set of house keys. "What do you think you're doing?"

Opening the front door, Asuka simply dragged the stunned athlete in, glancing around at the small, tidy apartment. "Where's your room? This way?" She glanced around, noting that its layout was remarkably similar to Misato's apartment.

"On the left." Touji replied absently, his attention occupied by thoughts of what his Father or Grandfather would say if they decided to come home early and found him alone in the apartment with a girl. "Wait a minute, you can't just come in he-"

Throwing the door open, Asuka threw him inside and slammed the door shut again. "Get in there and change into something better than that track suit, jock boy." Opening the door again, she smiled at the crumpled form of Touji who was attempting to get to his feet. "Casual but still neat and respectable."

"Han-"

"Hurry it up." Closing the door once more, Asuka leaned against the wall opposite Touji's room, making sure he didn't try to sneak away. "We don't have much time before they close and I still have to get home to supervise the Baka." She called out, ignoring the muffled curses and expletives echoing from behind the door.

Tense minutes passed slowly before Touji suddenly threw his door open and stepped out to confront his tormentor. "There. Happy?" He asked sarcastically, slowly turning around, displaying his new ensemble of dark, baggy jeans and button-up shirt with 'Samurai Boy' emblazoned across the back in English. "Does this meet your standards your Highness?"

Asuka ran a critical eye up and down, eventually shrugging indifferently. "Hardly. But it should suffice for now. Let's move, the flower shop's going to close soon."

Touji's eye's bugged out. "Flower shop? I ain't goin' to no flower shop." He crossed his arms across his chest and glared at Asuka. Her ambiguous presence had initially caught him off balance, but now that he had recovered from the shock he was determined to have the girl explain herself. <Shinji ain't here to protect you now Devil Girl.>

"How much money have you got?" Asuka asked, ignoring his deathly stare.

"About Thirty-five hundred yen." He answered suspiciously. "Hang on. Why do you-"

"Perfect." Asuka grinned, resorting to once again shoving the boy along until he finally realized it was simply not worth the hassle of resisting. "Let's move." She added, picking up the pace.

***

Tokyo-3 MunicipalMiddle School

<This is not proceeding as Pilot Sohryu explained it would.> Twisting and squeezing the wash cloth, Rei glanced across the room at the only other person present in the room. <Ikari has barely spoken. Perhaps there has been a change in plans that I am unaware of.> For the last thirty minutes she had waited patiently for the Third Children to approach her and invite her to dinner, just as the Second Children had informed her he would. She was still confused as to whether or not she actually wanted to pursue a relationship with the unassuming boy. She had yet to consult Commander Ikari of such a development, but had decided to explore the possibility and discover what it was about Commander Ikari's son that caused the emotional turmoil she was experiencing of late.

For the umpteenth time since Asuka had given him his instructions, Shinji glanced across the room at his pale companion. "Uhhm. Ayanami?" Shinji gripped the handle of the mop, trying to find the resolve to ask the one question that had been revolving around in his mind since lunch time.

"Yes Ikari." Rising to her feet, Rei waited for Shinji to continue, surprised by the warm, unexpected sensation spreading across her face. It was reactions similar to this that now prompted her to pursue her present course of action.

Glancing around at everything else but the girl in front of him, Shinji began fidgeting nervously. "I was kind of wondering if………….well…………." He tugged at his collar, wondering how it was possible for it to shrink to the point where it began choking him.

"What is it you require?" Rei prodded gently. <Ikari is displaying a nervous apprehension similar to my own. Perhaps Sohryu's suspicion that Ikari is fond of me is correct.>

"You see……..it's………….tonight……&# 8230;……..dinner." Squeezing his eyes shut, he waited for the inevitable answer to his indistinct offer. <Kami-sama, that sounded so lame.>

Rei continued to observe Shinji's odd reactions, confused by the apparent fear he was displaying. Realising her silence was only agitating the boy further, she answered his request. "I accept your invitation to dinner tonight Ikari."

Blinking in surprise, Shinji stared openly at Rei, unable to believe what he was hearing. "You do?"

"Yes." Rei answered.

"Really?" So accustomed to rejection and ridicule, Shinji had not even considered the possibility that Rei would accept his hesitant, incoherent proposal.

"I have no reason to deceive you." She explained. <Does he believe my words to be false?>

"No, it's not that, it's just……………………" Shaking his head, he smiled, ignoring the unpleasant thoughts that were screaming inside his head that he was only setting himself up for further betrayal, disappointment and ultimately, more pain. "Well I'll see you at 7.00pm tonight then."

"Understood." Rei agreed, nodding once. <I will need to inform Commander Ikari of this situation.>

Waving goodbye, he grabbed his school bag and walked out, glancing back over his shoulder to find Rei watching him intently. "Wow. That was easier than I thought it would be." He whispered to himself, pleased with the way things had turned out. "I'll have to remember to thank Asuka." Once outside, he began sprinting home, eager to begin preparing a feast suitable for everyone.

***

Streets of Tokyo-3

"Why the hell did I buy these?" Touji demanded, staring at the blossoms in his hands.

"They're to make things easier okay." Asuka replied obscurely. "Trust me."

"Trust YOU!" Touji's voice cracked, moving between a deep, masculine baritone and high pitched, feminine soprano. "What things?" He cried out, holding the flowers out in front of him as if they were somehow infected with a contagious disease. "You haven't told me a damn thing." Noticing that Asuka had come to a complete stop, Touji looked up at a familiar apartment complex. "Hey, this is the Rep's place. Why are we here?" There was a nagging sensation in the back of his mind yelling, screaming for him to run. To run very far away and as fast as he possibly could.

"Put the pieces together doofus." Asuka ignored the shocked stares of an elderly couple as she dragged Touji by the scruff of his neck into the foyer. "You're going to go up," She explained, thrusting him into the elevator, "knock on the door and when Hikari answers the door, you're going to politely offer her the rose, explaining that the other two flowers are for her sisters'." Pressing the button for the correct floor, Asuka leaned back against the wall to finish her little Pep talk. "And then you, my dear stooge, are going to ask Hikari to join you for a pleasant weekend stay at the beach."

The strength in Touji's legs vanished, sending him crashing to the floor. "Run that by me again." He squeaked, certain that he had misunderstood what was said. "Why would I ask out the Class Rep?" His face turned bright crimson at the thought.

"Just do it." Asuka growled impatiently.

"But-"

"Now!" She stated emphatically, hauling the boy to his feet and pushing him out into the hallway.

"Hey stop pushin'." Touji stuttered, wondering why his body was tensing up and not responding to his frantic cries to escape from his current predicament. "Hey Red?"

"What now?" Asuka asked, glancing at her watch. "I'm on a tight deadline." Her exceptionally high standards demanded nothing less than perfection in everything she did and her current project was no exception. It required constant supervision if everything was to proceed accordingly.

"How …… what should I say?" He asked, embarrassed by the entire situation. "I mean, how should I ask?" While he often talked big in front of his friends, in reality he had yet to ever ask a girl out on a date, let alone for a weekend trip away.

"Gott in Himmel. Listen up When she answers the door…………………….." Asuka slowly explained just what was expected of the male when he turned up unannounced at a prospective female's apartment as well as the simple fact that it would be a chaperoned group vacation, ensuring that any inappropriate behaviour would be closely monitored.

End Second Step

Tbc

Pre/Proof Read by Dan B who kept me on the straight and narrow.

And Special Mention to Chewy, who assures me the Chibi's are fine and begrudgingly approve the storyline thus far. (Gotta keep the Chibi's happy. They have mallets)

Authors Post-Rant -

Okay. Not that hard to see that Asuka is trying to force Rei and Shinji and Hikari and Touji together. Don't look at me like that. This IS a S/A fic, trust me, just let the author develop his story. But why would she? You'll just have to wait and see won't you. If I can manage to progress any further, that is. This chapter drained me completely.

As always, post your reviews here at FFN (Or where ever you find this).

Any other comments, thoughts etc are welcome at -

otaku_dman@yahoo.com.au.

Ja Ne