Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Shinji's Decision ❯ Housewarmings/ Welcome back ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Shinji's Decision

Part 8 - pre reader release v1 09/10/2001

Release v2 22/10/2001

By Jeff Mullier

Email: jmullier@idl.net.au

Copyright notice

Neon Genesis Evangelion and associated characters are copyright Gainax and associated companies.

Author Notes

I hope I haven't made any of the characters act wildly out of character. Also this fic contains spoilers. It takes place after episode 24 and ignores events in episodes 25,26 & the movies.

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry for the delay in finishing this part. The delay has been due to three reasons, the first being a bad case of writers' block. The second being that after buying a DVD player for my computer I found that anime DVDs (especially NGE) were actually readily available in shops close to where I live. The third being that I have had major computer problems.

Thanks to Greg Thomas for pre reading this part. Also thanks to those members of the EFML who had comments.

Due to the previously mentioned major computer problems I lost some of my pre readers' email addresses so if either Leonard Chee or Phillip Penty are reading this could you contact me please. Plus any other readers who had emailed me wishing to be kept informed of the progress of the story could you please contact me as well as I also lost your contact details.

******************************************

Shinji's Decision

Part Eight - Housewarmings/ Welcome Back

Misato's Apartment later that night

Misato and Asuka are sitting down at the kitchen table and have just finished dinner. Misato places the empty beer can down and with a surprisingly serious expression on her face she asks Asuka, "So Asuka, what do you think of Shinji's mom?"

Asuka replies, "She seems like a nice person. She is certainly a lot more pleasant than Shinji's dad. I can see where he gets the caring side of his personality from."

"Yes, he is nothing like his father was."

"You can certainly say that."

"So are you going to get to know her any better?"

"I might visit her on the way to visit Shinji tomorrow morning."

A grin appears on Misato's face as she tries to tease Asuka by asking her; "So you will be with Shinji all day then?"

Embarrassed by Misato's teasing Asuka quickly answers, "No it's only going to be a quick visit, to see how he is. Hikari moves back to Tokyo 3 today, I am going to spend most of the day at her new home."

"She is moving back so soon?"

"Yes, her new place survived the little crater that baka Shinji made."

"I see. If you would like me to I will pick you up on the way home from work, ring me if you leave before then. I will collect Pen Pen from her as well."

"Thanks Misato."

Misato's expression turns serious as she asks Asuka, "You do realise something Asuka?"

"What's that Misato?"

"Once Mrs Ikari finds a place to live, Shinji will be leaving us and moving in with her."

Asuka looks a little downhearted after hearing this and quietly answers, "Oh……I see." 'Just when I am finally able to put up with him, he leaves me……'

Misato notices Asuka's reaction and quickly tells her, "Don't worry Asuka, Shinji and his mother will most likely be living somewhere in Tokyo 3." 'Damn I should have known that Asuka would react like that. And if she sees Shinji before Yui does, he will react much the same way. I will have to do something to stop Asuka and Shinji worrying about it. The best bet would be to have Yui and Shinji live close by……I may just have the solution.'

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------

Nerv Hospital room 115 - next morning

Yui is sitting up in bed watching a news program on the television when she hears a knock at the door. She turns off the television and calls out, "Come in." The door slides open and Asuka walks in; when Yui sees that it is Asuka she greets her warmly, "Hello Asuka."

Asuka gives a half hearted smile as she simply replies, "Hello Mrs Ikari."

"Are you on your way to visit Shinji, Asuka?"

"Yes."

"Asuka, it would appear that your feelings towards Shinji have changed somewhat."

"Yes they have. Admitting to myself what I really felt for him was one of the things that helped me break out of my coma."

"That sounds familiar. You know admitting his feelings for you was one of the main reason that helped him decide to pilot Unit 01 against the angel."

"So he has told me."

Yui finally notices the tone of Asuka's voice and ask her, "What's wrong Asuka? You seem worried about something, can I help you?"

The worried edge to Asuka's voice increases as she then asks Yui, "I take it that Shinji will be moving in with you once you find somewhere to live?"

Yui however does notice the worried tone of Asuka's voice and tells her, "Yes he will. I will be staying in Tokyo 3, so you will still see him. Exactly where I have no idea at the moment, especially with two thirds of Tokyo 3 in ruins."

Asuka quietly replies, "I see." 'So Shinji will be leaving me……'

-------------------------------------------------- -------------------

Nerv hospital room 107

Shinji is sitting up in bed listening to his SDAT while idly flipping through a magazine in an attempt to pass the time. Asuka walks into the room and half heartedly smiles as she greets him, "Hello Shinji."

Thanks to having the earpieces to his SDAT on and with his attention fixed on the magazine, Shinji doesn't notice that Asuka has entered the room much less the way she greeted him. An annoyed look quickly appears on Asuka's face when Shinji doesn't respond to her greeting and she strides over to the bed and yanks the magazine out of Shinji's hands. This causes Shinji to look up and turn to see who snatched the magazine from him. When he sees that it is Asuka he smiles and pulls out the earpieces to his SDAT and greets her, "Huh, oh, hello Asuka."

Standing beside the bed and with a scowl on her face, Asuka yells at Shinji, "Baka! I would have never given you that thing back if I knew that you were going to use it to ignore me like that."

Shinji quickly apologises, "I'm Sorry Asuka." 'Gee what's bugging her? It wasn't like I was deliberately ignoring her. I thought that she had calmed down since she came out of her coma, but she is almost as bad as she was before. Something has happened to make her act like this……'

"So you should be."

"Look I said that I was sorry."

"Arrgh, you're hopeless you know." Having let off some steam, Asuka calms down slightly and sits down in the chair next to the bed and asks Shinji, "So how are you feeling today?"

"Much better thanks. I just can't wait to get out of here."

"Don't worry you only have to put up with it for two more days."

"Yeah."

Afraid to look Shinji directly in the face, Asuka focuses on a point on the wall above his head as she asks him in an anxious tone, "Shinji you do care for me don't you? You wouldn't leave me now would you?"

Confused by why Asuka would ask him that, Shinji frowns and asks her in return, "What do you mean by that Asuka? Of course I care for you; I care for you very deeply. You were one of the main reasons that I decided both to pilot again, and why I decided to self destruct Unit 01 so that you and everyone else could be free of the pain of Eva and fighting the angels. What's wrong? Why are you asking me that?"

"I visited your mother on the way here Shinji……..".

"And………." 'Why is Asuka worried about me leaving her? What's mother got to do with it? Is this what is worrying Asuka, but what would mother have said to worry Asuka?'

"Well….. I should have realised that you will be living with your mother once she came back….but… it hit me all of a sudden when I was talking with Misato. Then I also mentioned it to your mother and….. she said that you will be living with her…. But she didn't know where other than it would still be somewhere in what's left of Tokyo 3. We have only finally started to come to terms with each other and now you're being taken away from me. And I don't know how I ………" Asuka then turns and storms out of the hospital room. Shinji stares at the departing Asuka and sadly whispers, "Asuka……."

------------------------------------------------- --------------------

Nerv Hospital room 115

Carrying a digital note pad Ritsuko walks unannounced into the room. Without bothering to greet Yui she immediately starts telling Yui the results of the tests carried out from the blood sample she took yesterday, "Well your blood test checked out fine. If you will follow me Mrs Ikari, the equipment for the remaining tests that I need to carry out before I can release you are in a nearby examination room. It is only a short walk away, if you don't feel up to walking I could organise a nurse and a wheelchair."

With a determined look on her face and with an irritated tone to her voice Yui replies, "No I am well enough to walk there. Lets just get this over and done with, Doctor Akagi."

Annoyed by Yui's reaction Ritsuko curtly replies, "Fine. Lets go then shall we?" She then turns and almost storms out of the room.

Yui slowly eases herself out of the hospital bed and starts to walk towards the door, a little shakily at first but she soon steadies herself and follows Ritsuko out of the room.

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---

Nerv Hospital room 115 - three hours later

Someone knocks on the door and Yui calls out, "Come in." The door slides open and Kaji enters the room, Yui looks at him and in a humorous tone of voice informs him, "Mr Kaji, don't even think about trying to chat me up. Your reputation precedes you."

Kaji grins after hearing this and playfully replies, "Aw I am hurt by hearing that." The grin then disappears and he becomes serious as he informs Yui, "No, seriously I am here to ask you a few questions about the early days of Gehirn and the instrumentality project."

Yui sighs before replying in a resigned tone of voice, "I was wondering when someone was going to ask me about that."

"Well you were involved with the Evangelions almost from the very beginning, longer even than commander Fuyutsuki or your husband."

"Yes I was. My involvement with project E was the original reason that Gendo started dating me. But he soon changed and I believe that he did actually love me."

"You know a few days ago I wouldn't have believed you, I would have thought that he was always a heartless bastard if you don't mind me saying so. But after what he did and after finding out the main reason why he acted the way he did, I have changed my opinion of him."

"Yes I can understand why you think of him that way. From what I have found out I would say that Gendo become a totally different person after I was taken by Unit 01."

"It would definitely appear so."

An awkward silence then falls between Kaji and Yui. Yui breaks the silence by asking Kaji, "I am sure that you had more questions for me Mr Kaji. So what else did you want to ask me about?"

"So when did you become involved with project E?"

"While I was a final year student at Kyoto University, I was approached only a few days before I met professor Fuyutsuki, that would have made it early September 1999. Apparently the paper that I had just written impressed some important people. The people who approached me said that they were from the UN Artificial Evolution Laboratories, which later become known as Gehrin, but I found out later that they were really from SEELE."

"Why did you agree to work for them?"

"I was a final year bioengineering student, and since I hadn't made up my mind on what I really wanted to do once I finished University, I was keeping all options open. To tell the truth I was flattered that someone thought so highly of my work, especially if they were with the UN."

"When did you find out about the truth about SEELE? Especially regarding their true intentions?"

"While Gendo and myself had suspected that they were hiding their true intentions for sometime, for the whole project was clocked in too much secrecy towards its own researchers. It was that very secrecy that made us suspect that they were hiding something. Once they gave us a so called copy of the Dead Sea scrolls to work off was when we become truly suspicious to SEELE's true intentions. For after we had closely studied the copy of the scrolls that SEELE had given us that we realised that they had only given us a heavily edited part copy of the Dead Sea scrolls relevant to what they wanted us to work on. So we did some private research and unfortunately we found out their real goals for project E not long before second impact occurred. After that it was too late, had we left the project then , they would have simply made us disappear."

"So you had no choice?"

"Not if we wanted to live. Anyway we couldn't run from what we had discovered. Once second impact had occurred and SEELE's scenario had begun, we realised that we had to do as much as we could with out being detected to prevent SEELE from carrying out their quest for ultimate power over all of mankind. Plus the little information that we had gathered revealed that once second impact had occurred there was no way of preventing the upcoming war against the angels. So we decided to follow SEELE's plan as far as using the Evas against the angels. When this war would occur, Gendo and myself had no idea at the time, SEELE was keeping this information tightly under their control."

"But after you were absorbed by Unit 01, he changed what he considered to be the ultimate goal of Gehirn."

"Unfortunately yes. From what I have found out since my return , Gendo followed SEELE's path a little too closely after my absorption by Unit 01. Gendo was willing to follow them as long as it allowed him his goal of instrumentality on his terms, and be reunited with me and nothing or no one was going to stop him."

"Especially his own son."

"I am sad to say yes, especially Shinji. And I am partly to blame for that for once I had made it that only he could control Unit 01. Gendo then increased his efforts to ensure that Shinji was in the right frame of mind so he would act how Gendo wanted him to."

"But he didn't succeed totally in that respect. Shinji's last action as the pilot of Unit 01 definitely wasn't in Gendo's plans."

"No they wouldn't have been. Gendo underestimated just how loyal Shinji could be to those he cared about and what actions he would take to protect them when he no other choice. He should have realised this after the fourteenth angel, but he didn't."

"Yes no one expected Shinji to do what he did against Adam."

"Yes it even shocked me. But against an enemy as strong as the first angel Adam there wasn't much else that he could have done on his own."

"Yes the first angel Adam, the primary cause of all of everything associated with project E. So when did you find out about Adam & Lilith?"

"I was shown Lilith soon after I started working for Gehirn. I never actually saw Adam, although I was shown photos and was given tissue samples to work with at much the same time."

"Do you know when either of them was found?"

"What do you know of the relationship between Lilith and the geofront?"

"Nothing really other that the geofront sphere is not a man made structure."

"Yes the geofront wasn't made by man, the sphere existence was foretold in the scrolls. Its true name is actually the 'Black Moon' or 'Lilith's Egg', supposedly the source of life. SEELE searched for years looking for it, they finally located it in mid 1991 started excavating it. They discovered Lilith about six months later in a state of apparent hibernation. Adam was found under very similar circumstances, he was found in the 'White moon' or 'Adam's Egg' which was discovered in early 1998. Although he was discovered much later and was potentially more dangerous, basic experiments started on Adam in mid 1999. This was because of his location in Antarctica where he could be studied straight away under much greater secrecy due to the isolated location. And we all know what happened in September 2000 when Professor Katsuragi was forced to experiment with both Adam and the lance against his wishes."

"Unfortunately yes. So when was the lance found?"

"The lance of Longinus which was the third vital component to SEELE's version of instrumentality, was found buried on the bottom of the Dead Sea in 1999. It was delivered to Antarctica five weeks before second impact occurred."

"Why was there the delay in experimenting with the lance?"

"It had to be cleaned and prepared for the experiment."

"I see, well that is just about everything I wanted to ask you for the moment. Do you have any questions?"

"So what happens to Nerv and the remaining Evas now?"

"Well, Misato made a suggestion regarding the second angel Lilith. Her suggestion was to destroy Lilith by using either Unit 02 or one of the mass production units. Her reason being that once Lilith is removed any chances of third impact happening are dramatically reduced."

"I see. When is she going to do that? I also take it that she hasn't told the children about this yet either?"

"I don't know when it will happen, it could possibly be anything up to six months from now. Commander Fuyutsuki is in the process of obtaining the permission of the various relevant authorities. Not that he sees a problem with the plan, he just wants it to be done by the book so that there can be no comeback against Nerv. As for telling the children, no Misato hasn't told them yet. I think that she wants to wait until we have obtained permission first."

"Yes, a wise move by both professor Fuyutsuki and Misato."

"So with both Adam and SEELE already gone, do you think it will really be all over once Lilith is destroyed?"

"To the best of my knowledge that will remove all but one of the major pieces needed for a manmade third impact. And the lance of Longinus is virtually out of reach and it would be near impossible to attempt to retrieve it in secret from where it is, so it is of no real concern. I would have to read SEELE's unedited copy of the Dead Sea scrolls to be certain that destroying Lilith will bring this madness to an end though."

"Commander Fuyutsuki is arranging for all relevant information recovered from the estates of the various members of SEELE to be transported to Tokyo 3. I would imagine that there will be an unedited copy amongst chairman Khil's papers."

"Yes he wouldn't have trusted anyone else with it." Yui then shakes her head in disbelief, "…….I still can't believe that Gendo had all of them killed, especially after putting up with them for so long. I suppose that he only put up with them as long as they helped him obtain his goal."

"Yes, him finally killing off SEELE came as a big shock, but not as a big a shock that his next action was."

"I still find it hard to believe that he did that. From what I have found out, I would guess that he realised too late what he had done had cost too much."

"Yes, from what I have heard I would have to agree with you. So what do you intend to do now? With the end of the angel war there is not much point going back to your old job is there? That is if you even wanted to."

"I am not sure what I plan to do now. But I do plan to make up for lost time with Shinji. We have so much lost time to make up for."

"Yes I imagine that you do. Well that's all of the questions I have for now. I best be off then. Goodbye Mrs Ikari." Kaji turns to leave but Yui stops him, "Kaji, thank you for being there for Shinji. He really looks up to you, you know."

"So I have been told, I never realised it until recently though. However Misato is the one that you should really be thanking."

"I know. But still I don't think that she could have convinced him to pilot unit 01 during the attack of the fourteenth angel."

"So I have been told. However once I found out what the cost was and that he had been absorbed by Unit 01, I did feel guilty."

"Don't worry about it, Shinji would have eventually decided to pilot that beast again once he realised that with both Units 00 and 02 disabled, you just helped him make up his mind a lot quicker."

"I see, well goodbye again Mrs Ikari," Kaji then turns to leave and starts to walk towards the door, but before he can open the door it slides open and Misato walks in, carrying a bag. Kaji smiles as he greets Misato, "Hello gorgeous," he then turns to Yui and tells her, "I will leave you in the company of the good colonel here Mrs Ikari." He then quickly disappears before Yui can ask him what he meant by referring to Misato's rank as colonel, so she then asks Misato, "Colonel?"

An embarrassed expression appears on Misato's face as she answers, "Yes commander Fuyutsuki promoted me, I am now the vice commander of Nerv. Don't tell Shinji or Asuka please, I want to surprise both of them."

Yui smiles as she replies, "Don't worry Misato, your secret is safe with me."

Misato asks Yui, "So what was Kaji in here for?" A frown appears on her face as she then asks, "He wasn't trying to chat you up was he?"

Yui laughs as she answers, "No. I told him that he was wasting his time before he said anything to me. Actually he wanted to ask me a few questions about the early days of Gehirn and project E."

"I see, well I won't ask you any further questions. I imagine that you will soon be sick of answering questions about the beginnings of project E."

"Yes I am afraid of that."

Misato then holds up the bag that she carried in and tells Yui, "I brought you some clothes to wear when you get out of here. They should fit you."

"Thank you Misato."

"When I was getting these I realised one thing, although legally you are thirty nine, you are actually only twenty seven. You are even younger than me."

"I never thought about that."

"So when do you get the ok to leave the hospital?"

"Doctor Akagi said she should be back after lunch with the test results."

"I will come back at three o'clock and pick you up."

"Thanks, but I have no idea of where I am going to stay."

"You can stay at my place until you find somewhere."

"Thank you Misato, I would appreciate that. I wouldn't know where to start looking for somewhere to live, especially with so much of Tokyo 3 in ruins. I would like somewhere close to you though, as I know that Shinji would like to be near Asuka."

"Yes I mentioned to her last night that Shinji would most likely be living with you and she seemed worried by the idea."

"Yes she seemed a bit edgy when I mentioned it as well. So do you think you could help me find a place close to your apartment?"

Misato grins after hearing this and replies; "Actually I think that I may know just the place for you."

"Where?"

"As surprising as it may seem, the apartment next to mine is vacant. You and Shinji can move into there."

Yui smiles as she replies, "That sounds like an excellent idea. I am also thinking of asking Rei if she wants to live with us as well. Since you could almost consider her to be my daughter."

The expression on Misato's face turns serious once more as she nods slowly and replies, "Yes, I think that it the easiest explanation for her close resemblance of you."

"Anyway I think that she needs a better environment to live in than her present apartment. Have you ever seen inside of her apartment?"

An embarrassed expression appears on Misato's face as she awkwardly replies, "No…… I am ashamed to say, I have never been to visit Rei."

"Lets just say that before Shinji moved in, the biggest difference between the state of your apartment and Rei's, was that your place was at least well lit and airy before Shinji cleaned it. And other than your drunken belches and Shinji and Asuka's arguments your place is also much quieter."

Misato sweatdrops after hearing this, "Heh!!"

"Could you take me to see her on the way home please Misato?"

"Sure, no problems…….. Yui, can I make a suggestion?"

"Yes, what about Misato?"

"On the way home we will also be picking up Asuka, I think it that it would be a good idea if you told her that you and Shinji are going to be living close by. Hearing this will hopefully settle some of her fears. It would also be a good idea to tell Shinji as soon as you can for the same reason. For if Asuka visited him today like she said she would she would have mentioned it to him, and knowing Shinji he is probably worried about it."

"Yes you are right, I don't want to give either of them anything else to worry about."

"I am sorry about mentioning it to Asuka, I should have realised that something like this would have happened. However I have the perfect thing to make it up to both of them."

"What's that?"

Misato gives a big grin as she tells Yui, "A housewarming party for my new neighbours of course!"

--------------------------------------------------------------- ------

Commander Fuyutsuki's Office later that afternoon

Fuyutsuki has just replaced his phone back onto its cradle when he hears a knock his door he looks towards it and orders, "Come in." Misato walks in and Fuyutsuki asks her, "Colonel Katsuragi, what can I do for you?"

Misato replies, "Sir, I have just spoken with Doctor Akagi and she told me that she will be releasing Mrs Ikari from the hospital today."

"Any idea on where she will be staying?"

"I have offered for her to stay at my place until she finds somewhere to live. I suggested to her that she could move into the apartment next to mine since it is vacant."

"I see."

"So has there been any progress on the proposal regarding the second angel?"

"Not as yet, I would say that it will be at least three more months before we even look like getting a decision regarding that proposal."

"Well I should have expected that. It will at least give us some time to recover from recent events."

"Yes it will. Actually colonel, I have just received news that we will be receiving a rather interesting collection of boxes tomorrow that may help us."

"What are they sir?"

"Some materials recovered from the homes and offices of the various members of SEELE, including Chairman Kihl. I am not sure of what exactly may be in them. There is sure to be something of interest to us."

"I am certain of that sir."

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---

Nerv Hospital room 115

Yui is sitting up in bed watching the television news when Ritsuko walks in. Yui turns off the television and greets her, "Doctor Akagi. I am sorry if I acted a little snappy towards you earlier on today, I had a few things on my mind."

A look of surprise briefly appears on Ritsuko's face as she wasn't expecting Yui to talk to her civilly, much less apologise to her. So she decides to respond in a civil tone, "Well Mrs Ikari you are free to leave. Your test results all came back with all of the readings within the normal range. In fact your readings were almost the same as your last ones back in 2004. I would have told you sooner but it did take some digging to find your old results to confirm that you weren't suffering any side effects. Your husband certainly did a good job of burying all references to you in the archives."

"Yes I can imagine."

"So where are you staying?"

"Misato's, for a few days. Then hopefully into the apartment next to hers. Shinji and possibly Rei will be moving in with me."

Ritsuko nods after hearing this and then tells Yui, "I never did get a straight answer of your husband why he insisted that Rei live in that decrepit building."

"I think that plus the way that Gendo raised her are some of the reasons why she acts the way that she does towards others."

"Yes, she was always raised to be an evangelion pilot first and foremost. Her state was also to help him in his true purpose for her, for if she formed any relationships it would have caused problems."

"I had guessed as much. That's why I want to try to teach her to open up a little and not act so distant to those around her."

"Yes, I suppose that she deserves as much. I take it that you are doing this because she could almost be considered your daughter?"

"Yes I am."

"Well I wish you luck."

"Thank you."

"So you are going to live with Misato until you move into your apartment then?"

"Yes."

"Oh just a warning, if you value your health don't eat Misato's cooking."

Yui smiles slightly at Ritsuko's remark and replies, "Yes, I know that much from Shinji's memories "

"Well I will let you get changed and get out of here. I see that Misato has brought you some clothes."

"Yes she did."

"I have already told her that you have discharged from hospital, she should be here soon. Goodbye Mrs Ikari." Ritsuko then walks out of the hospital room. Once Ritsuko has left Yui gets up and changes into the clothes that Misato brought her earlier on. Once she has changed she picks up the bag and walks out of the room.

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---

Nerv hospital room 107

Shinji is sitting up in bed and is using the television remote to try to find something interesting to watch, when the door slides open and Yui walks in. He turns off the television and places the remote on the bedside chest of drawers. Smiling warmly Yui greets Shinji, "And how are you feeling today Shinji?"

Shinji distantly answers, "Fine mother."

Yui notices the edge to Shinji's reply and asks him, "What's wrong Shinji? Is something bothering you?"

"Nothing."

'It would appear that Misato knows my son better than I do. From the way that he is reacting I would say that she is right about Shinji worrying about moving away from her and Asuka.' Realising this Yui then tries to alleviate Shinji's apparent concern about leaving Misato and Asuka by asking him, "You're worried about where you are going to live now aren't you Shinji? You don't want to leave Misato and Asuka do you?"

Shinji looks down at the bed and clenches his right hand into a fist and then unclenches it before looking up at Yui to answer her question. "Mother, while I was unconscious in Unit 01's entry plug after destroying Unit 01, you told me that Misato, Asuka and Rei have virtually become my family since I moved to Tokyo 3. And while your release from Unit 01 was something that I have hoped for since Unit 01 took you, you expect me to leave them? You have been gone for twelve years, I hardly know you."

Yui shakes her head and smiles while she reassures Shinji, "Don't worry Shinji, Misato has arranged for me to live in the apartment next to hers. So you still can see her and Asuka. I am also going to ask Rei to move in with us. You don't have a problem with that do you?"

Upon hearing this Shinji hangs his head in shame and apologises, "I am sorry for doubting you mother."

"Don't worry about it Shinji. It's all cleared up now."

"Does Asuka know?"

"Not yet, I will tell her when Misato picks her up from Hikari Horaki's place on the way home."

Shinji smiles as he tells Yui, "Thanks mother, she was worried about it when she saw me earlier today."

"I know Shinji." Yui then leans over and kisses him and tells him, "Goodbye Shinji, I will come and see you tomorrow."

"Goodbye mother."

--------------------------------------------------------------- ------

Tokyo 3 Cemetery

Misato and Yui are walking amongst the headstones when they stop and Yui looks down a Gendo's headstone marked 'Gendo Ikari 1967-2016', she also looks at the adjoining headstone which is her own, it is marked 'Yui Ikari 1977-2004'. After seeing this she shivers before turning to face Misato, "Seeing my own grave gives me a strange feeling."

Misato replies, "I imagine that it would." She then points at Gendo's grave, "You know that because he felt that he was unworthy of your surname, he asked to be buried as Gendo Rokubungi. Shinji told commander Fuyutsuki no, that he wanted him buried as Gendo Ikari. That decision surprised everyone I think, almost as much as Shinji wanting to go to the funeral."

"Even though I imagine that he never will fully forgive him, I know that Shinji never really totally gave up on his father."

"Shinji can be surprisingly strong at times."

"Yes he can, and he doesn't realise it either."

--------------------------------------------------------------- ------

Horaki Residence

Asuka is helping Hikari unpack her belongs from moving boxes. Hikari notices that Asuka seems distracted by something and is being rather quiet, so she tries to start a conversation by telling Asuka, "I saw you, Shinji, Rei and major Katsuragi on the news last night Asuka. You all looked quite smart."

Asuka half heartily replies, "Yeah, I didn't know that we had a dress uniform. Even wondergirl looked half decent and baka Shinji would have looked better if it wasn't for the bandages."

Hikari notices the tone of Asuka's reply and asks her, "What's wrong Asuka? Something seems to be bothering you? Did something happen at the funeral?"

"No, nothing happened during the funeral, although something did happen later."

"What happened? Was it something bad?"

"No, it wasn't something bad, Unit 01 released Shinji's mom."

After hearing this Hikari just stares at Asuka in disbelief for a few moments before asking her, "Huh? What do you mean by that? I thought that she died when he was little."

"That's what I thought as well."

"So what's the matter? I thought that you would be pleased for Shinji if something like this happened? What are you worried about? You're not jealous of him are you?"

"Shinji will be living with his mom, once he gets out of hospital. Where I don't know, other than it will most likely still be somewhere in what's left of Tokyo 3."

"Oh, I see." 'You're worried about loosing him aren't you Asuka?' "Don't worry I am sure that Shinji will try to see you as much as he can."

In a weary tone of voice Asuka replies, "Yeah……."

-------------------------------------------------- -------------------

Rei Ayanami's apartment

Rei's apartment is in silence for once as all of the construction crews have been transferred to the task of demolishing the ruins of Tokyo 3 and filling in the water filled craters with the rubble. However the silence is soon broken by the sound of a car being driven at high speed towards the apartment block. It soon comes into view and it is Misato in her blue Renault. As the car approaches the building the engine revs drop slightly and the tyres screech as the car slides around, stopping perfectly within the perimeter of a parking bay. Misato and Yui get out of the car. Yui looks at the skid marks on the road and shakes her head in disbelief at Misato's driving style. Yui then starts walking towards the building that houses Rei's apartment and Misato follows her.

Yui and Misato enter the foyer of the apartment building and Yui starts walking towards the stairs. Misato wounders, 'Why doesn't she take the lift?' her question is soon answered when she sees the state of both of the lifts. Both are marked out of service, a state they appear to have been in for some time, as one is filled with rubbish and both doors are at an angle. The other lift has only one door open and has sunken in the lift well so the top of the lift is visible through the open door. Yui and Misato then walk up the four flights of stairs and then walk along the balcony until they stand in front of apartment 402. Misato sees the junk mail overflowing from the mail slot in the door as well as the general air of decay radiating from the apartment building and comments, "What a dump."

Yui replies, "It doesn't get much better inside."

Misato goes to press the doorbell, but Yui tells her before she presses the button, "Don't bother, it doesn't work."

Misato then knocks on the door and yells out, "Rei, are you home?"

Soon afterwards the door creaks open and reveals Rei in her usual attire of a school uniform. Without any noticeable expression on her face she looks at Misato, however a barely noticeable look of surprise briefly appears on her face once she notices that Yui is with Misato. She then greets them, "Major Katsuragi, Mrs Ikari."

Misato then asks Rei, "Can we come in Rei? Mrs Ikari would like to have a little chat with you."

"Yes."

Once Yui and herself have entered Rei's apartment, Misato looks around at the state of Rei's apartment and realises, 'Shinji was right when he said that room in Terminal Dogma looked like Rei's place.'

Yui then asks, "Rei, I am going to move into the apartment next to Misato's. Shinji will be moving there as well, would you like to live with Shinji and myself since you are virtually family?"

Rei gasps after hearing this and replies in her usual tone, "I will if I am ordered to."

"Rei, no one is ordering you. It is up to you. You don't have to move in with Shinji and myself if you don't want to."

"I….I….."

"Rei I know that Shinji said that he considers you as a very good friend and that you could almost be considered to be his sister due to your ….. origins. I could call you my daughter for the same reasons."

Rei then remembers her impression of how happy Shinji and his mother and father looked in the photo that Misato had brought. 'A family, Shinji, the commander and Mrs Ikari looked so happy in that photo. Do I wish to find out what it is like to have a family?' "I would wish to move in with you and Shinji, Mrs Ikari."

Yui smiles as she replies, "I am glad to hear that Rei. I will come and pick you and anything you wish to bring tomorrow."

------------------------------------------------------------- --------

Horaki Residence

Asuka and Hikari have finished unpacking and the two are playing a video game on the television when the doorbell rings. Hikari's younger sister Nozomi goes and answers the door, "Who is it?"

Misato's voice comes over the intercom, "Hello Nozomi, its Misato. Is Asuka and Hikari here?"

"Yes, they are. I will let you in." She then unlocks the door and Misato and Yui enter the foyer and take off their shoes. Hikari hears Nozomi talking to someone at the door and so she pauses the game she was playing with Asuka and walks to the door, Asuka also gets up and follows her. By the time they reach the door Nozomi has let Misato and Yui in. Hikari starts to greet Misato, "Hello Misa……," she stops and stares in surprise once she sees Yui with Misato. 'Shinji's mother…..' By this stage Asuka has caught up with Hikari and she frowns slightly when she sees that Yui is with Misato.

Misato notices Hikari's reaction at seeing Yui, as well as Asuka's. 'Uh oh, it looks like Asuka is taken a disliking to Yui. I hope that she stays calm enough to actually listen to what Yui is going to tell her.' She then tells Hikari, "Hikari, this is Shinji's mother, Yui Ikari." The then turns to Yui, "Yui, this is Hikari Horaki, Asuka's friend and Shinji and Asuka's class representative."

Hikari gives a little bow as she greets Yui, "Pleased to meet you, Mrs Ikari."

Yui nods as she returns Hikari's greeting, "Miss Horaki, or may I call you Hikari?"

"Hikari will be fine thank you." She then introduces Nozomi, "And this is my little sister Nozomi."

"Hello Nozomi."

"Hello Mrs Ikari."

Yui then turns to Asuka and asks her, "Could I have a word with you please Asuka?"

With a slightly annoyed expression on her face Asuka doesn't immediately answer. Both Misato and Hikari then glare at Asuka letting her know that they won't take no for an answer. Seeing the look that Misato and Hikari are giving her she then flatly replies, "Yes." 'Only because I am not in the mood for putting up with a lecture from either Misato or Hikari. I will let you say what you want to Mrs Ikari, but wether I take any notice of it is an entirely different matter.'

Yui then turns and asks Hikari, "Excuse me Hikari, is there somewhere that I could talk to Asuka in private?"

Hikari quickly answers, "Sure you two can talk on the balcony."

"Thank you." Yui then turns to Asuka and asks, "Shall we?"

In an unenthusiastic tone Asuka replies, "Yeah." 'Not that I have much choice.'

Asuka and Yui then walk out onto the balcony and slide the door shut. Once the door is shut Yui turns to Asuka and tells her, "Asuka, regarding that question that you were asking about where Shinji and myself were going to live. You don't have to worry it, as with a bit of luck we will be moving into the apartment next to Misato's."

Asuka visibly relaxes once she hears this and smiles at Yui as she replies, "Really?"

"Yes. But don't thank me, it was Misato's idea and she organised it."

After hearing this Asuka simply answers, her voice showing no emotion, "I see."

"Asuka, please understand, I am new to this Tokyo 3 and I have no idea of where everything is other than the little I could sense through Shinji's memories from when he was synced with Unit 01. That's why I was so vague about where Shinji and myself were going to live. I should have made this clearer to you when you asked me where we were going to live. I know how much you and Shinji mean to each other, I would never deliberately stop you from seeing each other."

Asuka looks down ashamed by how she has acted towards Yui, "I am sorry for doubting you Mrs Ikari."

"Don't worry about it Asuka."

With a smile on her face Asuka then asks, "So when will Shinji and yourself become our neighbours then?"

"Hopefully I will be moving in tomorrow, Shinji will move in once he gets out of hospital. Rei will be moving in tomorrow as well."

Obviously surprised by this piece of news Asuka asks, "What! Wondergirl is going to move in with you?"

Yui's voice takes on an annoyed tone as she tells Asuka, "Asuka, Rei's state was engineered by my husband and she is just as much a victim of the evangelions as Shinji and yourself. Have you ever seen inside her apartment?"

Shamed by what Yui just told her Asuka answers, "No I haven't."

"You do know of her origins?"

"Yes I do. Shinji explained them to me the other day."

"Well that is why she is moving in with us. I intend to treat her as she was my own daughter."

"I see."

"Asuka I would appreciate it if you would come with me tomorrow when I go and pick up Rei. You will then see what I mean about her apartment."

Asuka sighs in defeat and tells Yui, "All right, I will go with you tomorrow."

"Thank you Asuka."

---------------------------------------------------------------- -----

Meanwhile back inside the Horaki apartment

Having heard Misato's voice Pen Pen comes waddling into the room and when he sees Misato he gives a quack and waddles over towards her. Misato bends down and picks up Pen Pen and cuddles him while greeting him, "Hey Pen Pen did you miss me?"

Hikari grins as she answers Misato's question, "He certainly misses you beer supply. But I would imagine that he prefers my cooking."

"Hey my cooking isn't that bad."

After hearing Misato say that Pen Pen looks up at Misato and gives her annoyed quack as much to say, 'you have to be kidding.'

Misato then asks Hikari, "Hikari would you like to come to Mrs Ikari and Shinji's housewarming party in three days time when Shinji gets out of hospital?"

"I would love to Misato. But where are they going to live?"

"Oh I have hopefully organised for them to move into the apartment next to mine. Rei will be living with them as well."

"That's great!" 'Asuka will be happy to have Shinji so close, but how will she handle having Ayanami so close?'

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------

Back out on the balcony

Yui tells Asuka, "Now I expected you to be upset with either myself or Shinji, but not because of the reason that you were. I thought that you may have been a little jealous of Shinji now that I am back."

In a neutral tone of voice Asuka asks, "Why would I be Mrs Ikari?"

"I know that your mother is a rather sensitive subject with you Asuka. I don't know the full story, but from the little that I could sense from Shinji's memories, I do know that something terrible happened to your mother."

After hearing this Asuka rolls her eyes, groans and mutters, "…..That is the last time anyone else pilots my Unit 02." 'Will I tell her? …..I suppose I should, since that she will find out anyway.' She hesitates for a few moments before replying to Yui's statement, "You don't know the full story though, I only found out the full story myself the other day."

Yui notices Asuka's hesitation and tries to reassure her by telling her, "No I don't, and you don't have to tell me what happened if you don't want to. I know that it is a very sensitive topic for you."

A pained expression briefly flickers on Asuka's face before she answers, "You are right it is a sensitive topic, but I will tell you the full story since you are probably the only person who could really comprehend what actually happened to her."

'What does she mean by that? But her mother killed herself, so what actually happened to her?'

Asuka continues, her voice almost a whisper, "You do know that my mother was the test pilot of Unit 02?"

"Yes I did know your mother Asuka, she was my counterpart at Nerv's third branch in Germany."

Asuka continues, her voice starting to quiver, "She ……nearly suffered the same…. fate as you did, as Unit 02 went berserk during a test. The difference being ….that my mother survived physically, mentally……. she was never the same again. I …..think you know what happened next…….."

'While I suspected that her mother's state was caused by an accident involving some part of project E, I never would have suspected that.' "I see….I am sorry for asking you about that, and thanks for telling me that. I know that it wasn't easy for you to talk about."

"Well now you know, just don't mention it to anyone please?"

"Yes, I understand." Yui then turns towards the balcony door and then asks Asuka, "Well that's all I wanted to talk to you about, she we rejoin Misato and Hikari? That's unless you want to ask me anymore questions."

"Not at the moment, lets go."

Yui then slides open the door to the balcony and both Yui and Asuka walk back inside the apartment. Once they are both back inside Yui slides the balcony door shut. She then turns and grins as she tells Asuka; "Of course you can come over and eat with us if you don't feel like eating Misato's meals."

Offended by this Misato comments, "Hey! Why is everyone picking on my cooking? It's not that bad."

Asuka quickly answers in a mocking tone, "That is a matter of opinion Misato."

--------------------------------------------------------------- ------

Storage Facility 207 - Nerv Headquarters the next day

The storage facility is filled with dozens of wooden packing crates; in addition to the wooden crates are ten solidly built aluminium transport cases. The door to the storage facility slides open and Fuyutsuki, Yui, Kaji, Misato and Ritsuko all enter the room. Once the door has slid shut Fuyutsuki tells them, "These boxes contain all of the relevant information recovered from the offices and homes of the members of SEELE."

Misato glances at the various wooden packing crates that the items have arrived in. What immediately catches her attention however, are the ten aluminium cases amongst them. Curious to what is in these cases, Misato points to them and asks Fuyutsuki, "What is in those cases sir?"

Fuyutsuki replies, "Because of their special protection and since they were recovered from chairman Kihl's residence. I would probably they most likely contain the cause of everything. For he would never have trusted anyone else with them."

Misato looks at Fuyutsuki momentarily confused by his answer, she then realises what he is referring to and asks, "The scrolls?"

"Yes, I believe that the boxes contain SEELE's full version of the Dead Sea scrolls."

Yui asks with a tone of awe in her voice, "These are them? Chairman Kihl and SEELE used to keep a tight control of the unedited version of them. SEELE would only give us an incomplete edited copy. Despite this I do know that Gendo somehow managed to get a partial copy that hadn't been edited just before my 'incident'. However he never had the chance to translate them before I was absorbed into Unit 01."

"Yes, him having that partial unedited copy was one of the few things that kept Nerv one step in front of SEELE."

After hearing this Kaji nods and thinks, 'So that is why commander Ikari always seemed so sure of himself.'

Misato looks at both Yui and Fuyutsuki with an expression of disbelief on her face, "You mean that these scrolls predicted everything?"

Fuyutsuki sadly replies, "Yes within certain parameters they predicted everything. And I am ashamed to admit it, Gendo's copy correctly predicted the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth angels attack and their effects upon everyone."

Misato just stares at Fuyutsuki in horror after hearing this.

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---

Rei Ayanami's apartment later that day

Misato, Yui & Asuka are walking along the balcony to Rei's apartment. Asuka is looking around disgusted at the state of the building. 'What a dump, how in the world could anyone live here? In fact I haven't seen a sign of anyone else living here, maybe wondergirl is the only person who does. But that doesn't surprise me the least.'

Yui knocks at the door and Rei opens it straight away. She gives a puzzled look when she sees that Asuka is with Misato and Yui. 'What is pilot Sohryu doing here? I thought that she hated me.' Rei then walks back into the apartment, Misato, Yui and Asuka then follow her.

Once she has entered the apartment Asuka looks around the apartment and shakes her head at seeing the state of it. 'This is wondergirl's apartment? I knew that it would be bare and have little character, but this is just too much, it's just a desolate hole.'

Yui asks Rei, "So do you have everything packed Rei?"

Rei replies, "Yes," and points to three cardboard boxes. Next to the boxes is a violin case, this surprises everyone especially Asuka.

Asuka points to the violin case and asks Rei, "I never knew that you played the violin Ayanami."

"I have played it for nearly seven years pilot Sohryu."

After hearing this Asuka groans and tells Rei, "You can call me Asuka, Ayanami. Or may I call you Rei?"

"Rei will be fine."

----------------------------------------------------------------- ----

Nerv hospital room 107 - two days later

Shinji is sitting on the edge of the bed dressed in his school uniform, his right arm is in a sling and his right shoulder is still in a cast, but much smaller than before. A small bandage is wrapped around his forehead, he turns to face the door when he hears it start to open. When the door opens Misato, Asuka and Yui walk in. Misato asks Shinji, "I take it that you are ready to leave?"

Shinji quickly replies, "Yes, I hope never to see this room again."

Yui tells Shinji, "Don't worry, you won't be in here again thanks of what you and your father did."

Shinji then realises that someone is missing asks, "Where's Rei?"

Asuka answers, "Back at your apartment. She is helping Hikari with the food as well as helping her to keep the other two stooges under control."

They all then make their way to the entrance to the hospital. Once they have stepped outside Misato turns and grins while telling Shinji, Asuka and Yui, "You all wait here while I go and get the car."

Noticing Misato's grin and happy attitude Shinji asks, "Huh?" 'Just why is she grinning like that.' He turns to Asuka with a puzzled look and asks her, "What's Misato up to now?"

Asuka replies, "I don't know. I know that she is happy at the idea of the party, but it is almost like she is hiding something."

Yui then tells them with a teasing grin on her face, "Oh, you two will soon find out."

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---

Misato's Apartment building

Shinji, Yui, Asuka and Misato are walking along the balcony towards Misato's apartment. Once they reach the door to Misato's apartment, Shinji stops and hesitates. Yui sees this and tells him, "Next door Shinji."

Shinji then walks up to the door of the next apartment and opens the door. He is greeted by Kensuke, Touji, Kaji, and Hikari yelling, "Welcome home." Rei is standing quietly behind them with a small smile on her face.

With a large smile on her face Yui tells Shinji, "Welcome to your new home Shinji."

Shinji then walks into the hallway and gives an awkward smile as he replies, "Thank you everyone." Shinji then walks down the hallway and when he enters the lounge room he looks around the room, he soon notices that although Touji is still sitting in a wheelchair, both his left arm and leg appear to be intact. Surprised by this he asks Touji, "Huh? Touji your …arm and leg….. what happened?"

Touji grins as he lifts his left arm and leg and tells Shinji, "These? Well after the 'incident' Misato organised doctor Akagi to have me fitted with the latest in artificial limb technology. I finally got fitted out with them yesterday, I haven't learnt to control them properly yet, that's why I am still in this wheelchair."

"Misato did that?"

Hearing this Misato tells Shinji, "Yep, don't underestimate my organisational skills. You will be amazed at what I can do now."

Tired of wondering why Misato is still acting they way she is even after the party has started Asuka asks her, "Misato, so what else are you up to? You are acting like you have something else planned."

Misato replies with a grin on her face, "Oh nothing much, just that there is another reason for the party."

Shinji is also curious about the way that Misato is acting so he asks her, "So what's the other reason for this party?"

Misato replies with an even larger grin on her face, "I got promoted, I am now a colonel as well as the vice commander of Nerv."

Both Asuka and Shinji stare at Misato in shock after hearing this, they both then yell simultaneously, "Vice Commander!!"

Misato just grins as she replies, "Yep."

Kensuke has also recovered by this stage and stands up and salutes Misato and tells her, "Congratulations, colonel Katsuragi."

Both Asuka and Shinji groan at Kensuke's reaction, Touji just shakes his head.

Hikari then orders, "Come on everyone the food is ready." Hearing this everyone makes their way towards the kitchen table Shinji and Kensuke are almost knocked over by Touji racing there in his wheelchair.

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------

Ikari Apartment an hour later

Everyone has finished eating and Hikari and Asuka are sitting on the lounge, Shinji and the other two stooges are sitting together on the other side of the room. Misato, Kaji and Yui are sitting around the kitchen table.

With a big grin on his face Touji quietly asks Shinji, "So Shinji, you and the she devil are an item now?"

Kensuke adds to Shinji's discomfort by adding, "I never would have thought it possible. I always thought that you would end up with someone a lot calmer like Ayanami."

Shinji blushes slightly before he replies, "I always felt something towards Rei, and I suppose it was because she looks like my mother. Asuka well….. I thought that she was beautiful when I first saw her on the deck on the Over the Rainbow. I could never approach her though because of her attitude. I hated her attitude, but at the same time I liked it because she always appeared strong because of it. In a way I wished that I could be as strong as her."

A serious look appears on Touji's face as he tells Shinji, "Shinji, but you are strong in your own way. Just how many angels have you killed?"

An uncomfortable expression appears on Shinji's face as he replies, "Six or seven on my own…."

"See what I mean then?"

"Yeah."

Kensuke then tells Shinji, "Shinji, I want to apologise for something."

Puzzled by why Kensuke would want to apologise to him, Shinji asks Kensuke, "What for?"

"For bugging you all the time about piloting the evangelions. I should have known that you have never liked piloting your evangelion by the way you always tried to avoid talking about it. I should have realised just how much pain it caused you because of seeing your reaction that time when Touji and myself were in the entry plug with you. Then to see what happened to Touji…..after he become a pilot. But I still didn't truly realise what you must have had to go through until I saw the two craters of Tokyo 3 with the hand of Unit 01 sticking out the ruins. That plus Touji told me about what you had tried to do three days before……… As well as what happened to Ayanami and the red devil."

After hearing this Shinji just sits there surprised by what Kensuke has just said.

Kensuke sadly continues, "Not that I really had a chance of becoming a pilot anyway."

"Oh your chances of becoming a pilot may have been greater than you think."

Surprised by Shinji's statement Touji asks, "Huh?"

Kensuke also asks, "What do you mean by that?"

Shinji quickly realises that he has let something slip. His voice drops to a whisper as he continues, "Don't either of you tell anyone else this, although I would say that it probably doesn't really matter any more."

Kensuke asks, "Tell them what?"

Puzzled by what Shinji could be referring to Touji asks, "Just what are you talking about Shinji?"

Shinji answers them, "Misato told me when I was leaving Tokyo 3 and Nerv after ….the….. thirteenth angel, that apparently everyone in our class is a fourth level pilot candidate."

Both Kensuke and Touji yell in surprise, "WHAT!!!!!"

Kensuke then recovers enough to ask, " …….Everyone?"

Realising what this means a shocked Touji shakily asks, "…..Even the class rep?"

Shinji nods his head as he replies, "Apparently so."

Curious by what Shinji said to make Kensuke and Touji react like that Asuka walks up to them and asks Shinji, "So what did you say to upset these two stooges Shinji? And what about Hikari?"

"Um….Well….."

Misato by this stage notices that something is going on and asks Shinji, "What did you tell them Shinji?

"Um….well I told Kensuke and Touji what you told me about my classmates when I was leaving Tokyo 3 after the…. thirteenth angel."

Frowning Asuka irately tells Shinji, "You still haven't told me yet though."

Shinji looks at Misato and asks her, "There is no harm in telling Asuka or Hikari now is there Misato?"

Misato soon realises what conversation Shinji is referring to and gives him an annoyed look and sighs before replying, "I suppose not. I was shocked when I found out, but I couldn't tell anyone at the time you understand. Yes, Everyone in your class is a fourth level pilot candidate."

Both Asuka and Hikari stare in surprise at Misato after hearing this.

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---

Ikari Apartment several hours later

Hikari, Touji and Kensuke have gone home. Yui, Rei and Asuka are finishing cleaning up afterwards. Shinji is standing out on the balcony watching the sun set over the twin craters covering much of the site of what was Tokyo 3. 'I certainly hope that the war against the angels is at an end. So much has been destroyed, so many people hurt or killed….for what?'

Wondering where Shinji has got to Misato looks around the apartment for him, soon sees the silhouette of Shinji standing on the balcony staring out at the ruins of Tokyo 3. She then walks out to join him and after sliding the door shut behind herself Misato greets Shinji. "Ah there you are. Needed some time alone to yourself did you?"

Being deep in thought Shinji didn't hear Misato slide the door shut behind herself. He jumps in the air startled by her voice and turns around. "Misato!"

Misato gives him an apologetic smile as she says, "I am sorry if I startled you Shinji."

"I was just looking out at the ruins of Tokyo 3. I didn't really notice them from the car. I was thinking about everything that has happened and about everyone that has been hurt."

Worried, Misato tries to reassure Shinji by telling him, "You did the right thing Shinji. It is hopefully all over now. Anyway stop thinking about it, your mother and sister are wondering where you got to." A grin appears on her face as she then adds, "Your girlfriend is wondering where you are as well."

Shinji blushes as he replies, "Misato!"

"Hey I don't want to see you moping anymore. I was hoping that this little party would help realise how lucky you are."

Shinji gives a small smile as he replies, "Thank you Misato."

Misato returns Shinji's smile as she replies, "No problem Shinji, you know me like I need any excuse for a party."

"No, not just for the party Misato, I know that it hasn't been a easy time for you either. I have never really thanked you for looking after me. What father wrote in that letter for you was right, I have never realised it though. You are the closest thing I have had to a family since mother was taken by Unit 01."

Misato's smile becomes wider once she hears this and she warmly replies, "Thanks Shinji."

"I am sorry for doubting you about Kaji. Especially for what I did afterwards."

Misato leans over and gives him a big hug and tells him, "Don't worry about it Shinji. I know that it was an extremely tough time for you. I should have tried to help you more." She then lets go and tells him, "Come on lets go back inside."

************************************************

Well that's it for part 8.

Again any comments etc appreciated.

Stay tuned for part 9 - The Grand Tour/ The Last Sortie