Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Sibling Bonds ❯ Reflections ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimers:
Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc., are
property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine.
Please try to be good to me, this is my first stab at an Evangelion “Only" Fic.
This story is NOT final, there will be more revisions, so keep checking up on the chapters.

Sibling Bonds

Chapter 1: Reflections

Shinji Ikari, Pilot of Evangelion Unit-01, a student attending Tokyo-03 Municipal Junior High school,
working for his Father Gendo Ikari, at NERV, and overall lacking in self confidence,
sometimes wallowing in self pity, was sitting on a hill overlooking a spectacular view
of his adopted home Tokyo-03.

He was contemplating the past weeks events starting with the coordinated effort to defeat the 10th Angel .
He, and the other Two EVA pilots, Rei Ayanami, and Asuka Langley Sohryu had on their own
planned out and executed an ingenious plan that ended with the death of the angel.
It was the first time he felt a clear sense of gratification on the job he did.
Normally he hated and loathed being an EVA pilot because of the truths of anyone associated with the EVAs
were affected negatively, and that he was (through circumstances beyond his control) forced to pilot
when all he wanted was to be as far away from the EVAs and his father as possible.
But this wasn't what had bothered him all week, though it came a close second.

He had in the back of his mind an image. A foggy unfocused and eerily ghostly image of his mother.
Now normally having this type of image of a long dead parent would be understandable,
but this wasn't a normal situation, and he wasn't a normal person .
What had him frustrated at the image was that he had seen the same face this past week alive and well.
Not foggy ... or unfocused, but as sharp as a straight line, and as warm as good cup of hot tea.

He knew he had seen her face that past week but for the life of him he knew not where!
He was racking his brain as he went over the week's activities when he felt a light touch on his sunlit shoulder.
He quickly looked up startled by the action, and was relieved to see his friend (he hoped she was his friend,
as quiet as she was it was hard to tell) Rei Ayanami, staring back with bright red, but impassive eyes.

Her eyes, he could never get enough out of looking into those two crimson dots of mystery.
As he composed himself, he instinctively put his hand on top of hers as it lay on his shoulder.
A sudden bolt of emotion ran through him as he realized what he had done.
He had his hand on his friends hand.
Holding it! ['WOW'], was all he said to himself in is mind as they stayed still for what seemed like an eternity.
It was really only about 10 seconds when Rei abruptly took her hand away bringing Shinji back to reality.
As he shook his head to get his bearings she spoke!

"Pilot Ikari, what are you doing here?" asked a calm but obviously curious Rei.
"Well, Rei, if you must know I come here to think out my problems."
Said a now calmer Shinji. After a slight pause he continues. “ I also come here to reflect on what I've done with my life,
and what I may do with it in the future. But, ... mostly I come here to relax and take in the view of the city as the night falls."

He looks now beside him as Rei has sat down to contemplate what he had said.
As she sat there thinking, Shinji was looking intently at her, her eyes, ... then her face!
Then it started to dawn on him where he'd seen his mother's image!
[ "It was Rei! She looks like my mom!, Except for the Color of her hair and her eyes
she looks so much like her she could be her daughter! Why hadn't I seen it before!"]
As this dawned on him he didn't hear Rei asking him a question, he quickly replied; "Sorry Rei , hmm,
what did you just ask me?" (He had an "I'm Sorry" Look on his face, she didn't respond at all, just like her!)

"I merely stated that I too come to this place to reflect on my life and on what has transpired in it."
Rei then looked at Shinji waiting for a response. This caught Shinji flat-footed,
Rei never shows any regard for anyone's input, but as Shinji has been observing, she seems to want his!
Over the past few weeks since Asuka's arrival,
Rei had been asking him more and more questions which would solicit an opinion from him.
Since he had gotten to Tokyo-03, he had never seen her ask this type of question of anyone ... except his father.

He also started to realize in his mind that during the week since the last Angel attack,
she had cast her eye on him like never before. In class, during sync tests, even walking home from school.
He caught her staring at him. While still having that emotionless mask on he noticed a slight look of ... concern.
He started to realize that she was concerned about him.
He acknowledged to himslef that since he met her there was an overwhelming feeling of familiarity, and concern for her
and her well-being.

Shinji finally continued the conversation."Well, even though I do seek solitude here when I can get away on my own,
I wouldn't mind the company Rei, if you would?"
What was he saying, even he didn't know as a fear of rejection was starting to crawl up his spine.
He had some feelings for Rei, but he didn't know what type of feelings he had.
So that was why he was feeling nervous.

All that was concluded when Rei finally answered;
"I do not see why we couldn't do this Ikari-kun. I would like the company as well."
Shinji acknowledged her answer with a nod, and both stayed there quietly until the sun went down.
Each reflecting on his and her own personal thoughts, but both seeking some form of companionship.
Be it as silent as it was, it helped to calm each with a type of contentment neither had felt before.
Each felt that they could trust the other. Though no sound was made for the rest of their time on that hill that day,
each was helped in their thoughts by the other's presence. When night fell, each got up together said their good-byes.

As Shinji made his way back to his home, he reflected on his discovery.
Rei must be some how related to my mom in some way. I need to find out all I can about her past.
He made plans that in the next few days, he would ask the help of two people who could shed some light on Rei's past.
First he would ask Misato discreetly so as not to anger the Hurricane known as Asuka
(He liked her, but he couldn't deal with that right now), and if that failed,
he'd ask his friend Kensuke to use his amazing skills with a laptop and phone line and find out what he could.
Above all Shinji now had a goal in mind, not only find out Rei's connection to his mother, but also what his feelings are for her.

As he walked to his home, Rei was secretly following him and lost in her own thoughts about the Third Child.
Her thoughts were equally as puzzling to her as Shinji's was to himself. How did she feel about him, and why?
Why did she want to see him more, was it out of duty and loyalty to the Commander?
"No", She answered herself, "it was... Different."
The only two people who had acknowledged her and shown kindness and caring for her were Gendo Ikari, and his son.
Though a more puzzling part came in the way they had shown that caring to her.
She knew her destiny, so Gendo's caring was tied into that fact. But, why was Shinji's caring for her?
He cared without any real reason or motive that she could fathom.
She had caught him previously looking intently at her, not at her legs, or chest, or anything else ... but her eyes.
Shinji was the only one to cause a blush to appear on her face, not even Gendo could do that!
She also had a feeling about Shinji that she could not comprehend. She had to protect him.
It was as if it was part of her being, to protect the boy from total destruction, and in the process, to protect those she cared about.

She realized as Shinji entered his apartment building's entrance hallway, that she had to stay close to him,
just like she knew he would do the same for her, not for any lustful or sexual urge,
but more of a loving and caring feeling. She knew she just changed the possible climax to the war and to all she knew.
She had to!

Next in Chapter #2: Reactions and Inquiries
Shinji begins his quest about Rei's past, as Asuka learns of it, she contemplates what she'll do next. Plus Kensuke's Detective work brings some unexpected results!
Ok, All, tell me if I should pursue this and what do you think so far. So, Please Read & Review!!