Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ The Visit ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Visit

By dennisud

Disclaimer: I don't own or make money for any characters portrayed here.

Author's Note: this is a beta and so not pre read. If you want to help me fix it, just e-mail me. I just had a spurt of imagination and this was the result!

The winds were biting my exposed flesh as we made our quiet trek through the cemetery. Though it was June, the weather still had some surprises and this cold wind from the north made us all wear sweaters and coats.

Asuka was walking on my right side unusually quiet and starting straight ahead.

Rei on my other side was equally quiet cradling her son, Taro in her arms wrapped in a think blanket. It took us only a few more minutes until we found the markers we had sought out.

There in front of us were the grave markers of my mother... and my father.

We all stood there looking at them thinking of all that had happened almost six years ago. Almost losing my friends, my family, and my life. I remember not really caring for anyone or anything then. But circumstances turned positive, and I'm glad things turned out as they did ... though I still had a troublesome thought in the back of my mind. Did I really want my father dead now?

Not knowing the lives we've led, nor of the family we have now. I look at Asuka who I'm sure is thinking of her father. He was coming in on a late flight tonight to sped time with us. That alone would have had me thinking as well.

I then look at Rei who seems to be thinking her own thoughts as Taro sleeps in her arms. I know it would be of my father. He was for all intents and purposes to her. But she must have a different view of him than I do. I'm sure that is true. But then a different thought came to me.

My father wouldn't know about Taro, heck he wouldn't have ever dreamt of him the way he had Rei...

I tighten my teeth and push down a clear feeling in me of anger and betrayal. How could he have done that to her. How could he have done what he did with us? My hands clench in anger until two hands took them from either side of me as I look to see both my friends, and my family looking at me with caring and understanding.

They don't say it in words but it was clear they seemed to understand what I was thinking, at least about who. I nodded and clasped their hands back as we all turn back to the markers again. I pulled my hands from theirs and brought them together slapping them three times and bowing.

He was my father and for that sole fact I prayed. But then again I reflected that without him calling me to Tokyo-3 that fateful day, I never would have met Rei, and later on I never would have met Asuka, or Touji, Hikari, Kensuke, Misato, Kaji, and the rest.

"Thanks father, for your part in my birth, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to meet the three people I care for the most." They both seemed to know who the third one is and nodded quietly. "Though that is all I can thank you for ... and even though you did those terrible things to us," he felt both of them shudder beside him. He too their hands again reassuring them with a smile before he continued.

But being my father is just enough for me to forgive, but I will never forget your transgressions father, ever."

I sighed deeply and turned to both of them in turn, kissing each and hugging them both, Rei a bit more awkwardly with Taro still sleeping in her arms. I turn again to the black obelisk that marked my father's grave. "I have finally found my peace now, father," I take one of their hands in mine," I hope you have found yours." I bow to his and my mother's grave. Goodbye father, see you next year."

I step back Rei and Asuka doing the same, and in sync we turned and headed back to the cemetery's parking lot. As we walked Taro awakened and squirms in Rei's arms. She tries to calm him, but he seems to be getting more fussy.

"Here Rei, let me take him, I'll see if his Auntie Asuka can keep him happy with his favorite songs." Rei nods while Asuka gently takes Taro from her grasp and sings quietly to him one of her German lullabies, making faces to him as we make our way to the car. I caution Asuka to be careful walking as she is now four months pregnant with our child. She nods never stopping her singing as Taro girgles contentedly in her arms.

I helped them into the car, and turned once more to where my parents gravesite were.

'I hope you both are happy now, I know I am, Thanks.'

Within a few minutes we make our way back home with another Father's Day visit complete. I take Asuka's hand not just to let her know that I care for her, but to let her know we will always be there for her. Rei pats her on her shoulder. "A-chan, we will be there when your father arrives so don't worry." I say as she simply nods as she continues to sing quietly to the baby in the back who's giggles now can be heard. I look through the rearview mirror as I see Rei smiling at Taro then she looks up and nods at me, her smile never waivers.

Father's Day can be good for some and bad for others. I see it as a way to clear the sad memories and remember the good in our lives without forgetting where we came from.

Then in unison Rei and Asuka say "Happy Fathers Day, Shinji-Kun."

I nod as I realize I'm the father now. I smile back thinking as I drive how the next Father's Day will be like.

AN: I always put out a one-shot to commemorate the day as I was far more lucky to have a good and caring father as many of those characters I write about didn't. I want to give them their chance to say thanks in their own way.

Oh, and the vagueness IS intentional!

Dennisud