Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ To Find Inner Strength ❯ Vagrant in White ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Neon Genesis Evangelion:
 
To Find Inner Strength…..
 
By: HungrySano
 
Chapter 1: The Vagrant in White
 
Then sun had already gone down, leaving Tokyo-3 in darkness once more until the next dawn. Despite the security technology that existed within this vast metropolis, it was still quite dangerous to travel at night. Of course, circumstances left a fourteen-year-old boy by the name of Shinji Ikari with no other alternative. After school ended, he proceeded to the music class room to practice on his cello. However, he lost himself while playing and quickly lost track of the time. Luckily, then Janitor noticed him before leaving, otherwise, Shinji would have been very early for the next school day.
 
Of course, this had to be the day where he left his cell phone at home, so he couldn't call Misato for a ride and also, he didn't think of using the phone at school until he was a good ten blocks away from the school. Even the Janitor would be gone by now. It didn't help that he had to lug his school bag and his cello case home. The reason was that he had a recital in the morning and it would be too much trouble to go all the way to the school to retrieve his instrument. That would mean waking up even earlier than he had to. He couldn't have that.
 
Looking at his watch, it was going on nine-thirty and he still wasn't even halfway home. This sucked. It really, really sucked. Chanting those words over and over in his head, he bumped into something. Shinji's head was hung down and telling by the feet he saw, he gathered that he bumped into a person. He looked up slowly to see a man, glaring down at him with a sadistic looking smile. Shinji gulped as he took a few steps back out of terror.
 
The man towered over Shinji, his broad and stocky appearance giving off the idea that he could snap the young Ikari boy in two with minimal effort. With a smirk that easily shook the boy up, the man said, “You should really watch where ya goin', kid. If ya don't, bad things tend t' happen, `know?”
 
Out of instinct, Shinji bowed quickly, spewing apologies like an out of control garden hose. However, the apologies did not satisfy the stocky powerhouse before him. Without warning, Shinji felt himself being yanked from the ground by the collar of his shirt and raised into the air. Looking down at his assaulter, he saw that he was only using one arm to hold him up. The cold hearted grin he wore shook Shinji to the very core of his soul.
 
“Gimme all yer cash, or I give ya a full body `make over'.” The man chuckled menacingly upon completing his demand.
 
Shinji's eyes closed tightly. All he could think about was going home to Asuka and Misato. If Misato were with him, he would be protected. Someone….anyone. There was no way to run from this guy and Shinji had no money to give. The situation was grim indeed.
 
“I don't have any money…” Shinji said, his voice filled with fear.
 
“Wha?” The man glared in a perplexed manner, before returning to a evil, wide grin. “In that case, I'll just have to take it outta yer hide, boy! LITERALLY!”
Shinji cried out as the man carried him toward a dark alley. This was the most fearful moment that he had ever faced and he seriously doubted he would come out of this unharmed, or even alive. The third child, pilot of Evangelion Unit 01, was about to be ravaged and slain by some homoerotic street thug. These thoughts filled Shinji's mind, causing him to suffer through an onslaught of streaming tears. He pleaded to ignorant ears for mercy, but his only replies were evil snickers or occasional warnings to keep quiet.
 
“Put the boy down.” Spoke a voice from behind.
 
The thug smirked without facing the source of the demand. “I suggest you mind yer own business. If not, you'll be my next target.”
 
“I'll say this only once more. Put. Him. Down,” the newcomer repeated.
 
The muscular thug carelessly dropped Shinji to the ground to face his opponent. Shinji's tears had slowed down to a halt when he realized what was happening. The new comer was dressed in a white karate gi with both sleeves torn off. He had a white headband that danced behind him in the soft blowing wind. His physique seemed to be in top form as he prepared himself into stance that showed he was indeed a martial artist.
 
The thug growled. “You're in my way!” He charged at the martial artist in question only to be side stepped and given a roundhouse kick to the back of his head. Holding his aching head, the thug turned to face his adversary once more and threw a barrage of punches. As Shinji watched, he literally saw the man's hands transform into a mass of blurs as he attacked his savior.
 
“I know this technique!” Thought the headband wearing fighter. “You must be that rogue student that trained under Edmond, right?!”
 
The thug growled. “Don't you EVER mention that name to me!” He cried out as he increased the speed of his rapid punches.”
 
“Yah!” The man in white cried as he jumped over the thug's head and landed near Shinji. The young boy's eyes widened in amazement as he watched the gi donning fighter perform. It was like watching a martial arts movie.
 
He charged at the thug from behind, only giving him enough time to turn around and fully receive the next attack. Jumping up at him, the man in white delivered a series of devastating spinning kicks to the man's face and cried, “Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku!”
 
The final kick sent the thug to the ground with a blood smeared face and missing teeth. Shinji could only stare in disbelief of what just occurred. It was hard to grasp that a person could be that strong, even after witnessing it. His savior approached him slowly and placed a hand on his shoulder, then knelt down beside him. “Hey, kid, are you okay?”
Shinji came to realization of how tall the guy was. He, like the thug, towered over Shinji as well. Speechless, his reply was a silent nod. Of course, his manners kicked in and he managed to say, “Um, th-thank you for saving me.”
 
The man nodded back with a smile. “No problem, kid. Try to be more careful from now on. See you.” He started to walk out of the alley.
 
“Um…hey!” Shinji cried.
 
The man turned his head slightly. “Hmm?”
 
“M-my name is Shinji Ikari. Could you tell me your name, please?” Shinji shuffled his feet nervously.
 
“Ryu,” the man answered.
 
“Could you teach me how to fight?” Shinji asked hastily. He was actually surprised at himself for asking such a thing, especially from a total stranger. But, then again, this total stranger did save his life.
 
Ryu then fully turned around. “I'm sorry, Shinji, but I can't do that. I'm not fit to teach. You'll have to find someone else.”
 
Shinji lowered his head, his bangs hiding his eyes. “Please. I'm begging you, Mr. Ryu. I'm tired of being weak and cowardly. I'm tired of having to run away! You don't know how it feels to be weak like me. It's a horrible feeling when you know the smallest of things can hurt you and no matter what, you have to take it because you're not strong enough to do otherwise.” “Why am I spilling my guts like this? To a total stranger, even…”
 
Ryu shook his head. “You're the one who's not understating, Shinji. True strength comes from within, not from the teachings of another. Only you can unlock such power.”
 
Shinji slowly lifted his head, his eyes focusing on the man before him. “If that's true, then can't you at least show me the way? What good is inner strength if I don't know how to bring it out? Please. I'll do anything you ask me to. I'm prepared.”
 
Ryu simply turned his back on Shinji. He started to walk as Shinji hung his head down in defeat. Just like father. Turning his back and ignoring his plight like it didn't even matter.
 
“Meet me by the cherry blossom trees in Tokyo Park tomorrow. Bring a change of clothes.” Ryu said as he disappeared into the night.
 
Shinji's eyes widened at Ryu's words. He couldn't help buy smile widely. Finally, he was going to learn how to take care of himself. Shinji was well on his way to becoming independent.