Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ To Find Inner Strength ❯ Full of Surprises ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Neon Genesis Evangelion:
 
To Find Inner Strength…..
 
By: HungrySano
 
Chapter 2: Full of Surprises
 
Indeed, it was a long three months for Shinji. He felt that his wasn't learning as fast as he should have been. The training mostly consisted of katas, breathing exercises, pushups, sit-ups, reflex exercises and jogging. Needless to say that Shinji was dead tired after each session. Little did Shinji know that the people around him were worried, but each person had their way of showing it? Misato's method was her normal motherly approach. Sitting him down and basically demanding an explanation, he did tell her most of the story. He mentioned that he took up an extracurricular activity outside of school. He just didn't mention that he was learning martial arts from a man who (as far as Shinji could tell) was homeless and walked around barefoot. Shinji decided that it would be best to leave out such details.
 
Ryu, on the other hand, believed that Shinji was doing moderately well. He noted that Shinji was the type to not notice his steady progress, as he would always assume that Ryu's positive feedback was merely Ryu humoring and patronizing him. Although Shinji wasn't nearly as quick to pick up things as Ryu was at that age, but he showed a decent amount of promise. Self-esteem seemed to be an issue that Shinji struggled with and Ryu had hoped that the training would help alleviate some of the problem.
 
Another training session had come to an end. As usual, it ended with Shinji completely exhausted and Ryu's feedback on Shinji's progress. Shinji once again brushed off the positive feed back as empty patronage. Ryu frowned inwardly at this, as he always did, but shrugged it off as he walked the boy to his complex. The walk back was quiet aside from random chatter, however when they finally arrived at Shinji's building, Ryu decided to ask for Shinji's true opinion for once.
 
“So,” said Ryu, “how do you think you did, Shinji?”
 
Shinji sighed. “Well, I think that I didn't do much better than before. Maybe I'm immune to physical training or something. Maybe I can't get any stronger.”
 
“Be patient,” Ryu said sternly, “there is no such thing as instant progress. If there was, then everyone in the world would be successful. Don't you think?”
 
Shinji scratched his head, pondering the statement. “Well, I suppose that's a good point. It's just I constantly find myself wondering whether or not I really have what it takes.”
 
Ryu nodded. “You have what it takes, Shinji. You just need to rely on yourself more. When the time comes, you'll see what I mean.”
 
“You sound like an old monk from a Kung-Fu movie,” Shinji said with a slight smirk.
 
Ryu chuckled. “I guess that was kind of clichéd, but it's true. I can't make you any stronger; I can only show you the way. One you reach your goal, Shinji, you'll see that your progress was due to your own will and strength.”
 
Shinji, still a bit confused nodded. “Um, okay.”
 
Ryu then said, “There's one thing I want you to think about after you leave here, Shinji.”
 
“What's that?” Shinji asked.
 
“Ask yourself,” said Ryu, “'Why do I want to become strong?'”
 
The warm evening wind picked up, as they silently look each other's way. Shinji's eyes lit up as he nodded. “Okay. So, we'll meet again tomorrow, master?”
 
Ryu smiled. “Consider tomorrow a day off. You've earned it. Also, you can use that free time to think about that question.”
 
“I understand,” Shinji said.
 
“One more thing,” said Ryu as he reached into his pocket. From that pocket he pulled out a red headband. “Here, this is the headband I wore when I trained at your age. It was a gift from a friend that served as a sort of motivator. To me, it's a symbol that tells me to never give up and to never be afraid to step forward. If you accept this, it'll be your promise to me that you'll never take a step back and always keep going.”
 
Shinji looked at the headband in Ryu's hand. He was hesitant and intimidated by the deep meaning of such a simple accessory. “If I accept this gift from Ryu…it means that I can never run away again. But when something's painful, it's only natural to want to escape. But…I mustn't run away. Misato said so. I know she's right, but I…I….”
 
“I'm sorry, Ryu,” Shinji said as he turned away sadly, “I can't accept this. I can do it.”
 
Ryu replaced the item back into his pocket. “It's okay, Shinji. Perhaps it's too early to expect you to accept such a thing. I apologize for my overestimation.”
 
“It's fine. It's all my fault anyway. See you.” Shinji then walked away without another word.
 
Ryu watched him walk into the building with concern in his eyes. “Even though he has improved physically, his mind refuses to grow. In his mind….he's still the same timid Shinji that I saved that night.” He sighed heavily before walking off to find a place to sleep for the night.
 
“Wasn't he supposed to make dinner tonight?” Asuka asked irately.
 
“Yes,” Misato said in a tone to match Asuka's.
 
Things had been going like this for the past three months. Whenever it was Shinji's turn to cook, which was almost every day, he would always show up late. Misato was aware the Shinji had an extracurricular activity after school, but the main problem was that he would always come home later than he said he would. She and Asuka simply sat at the table, brooding at the fact that their designated chef, Shinji, wasn't home and it was close to eight `o clock.
 
Moments later, the sound of the front door opening could be heard, followed by light footsteps. Shinji was home and had no idea what perils awaited him until he saw Misato's and Asuka's faces. He gulped at the looks they were giving him as on thing was certain: Shinji was doomed, in the most extreme sense of the word.
 
“And why exactly are you coming home this late?” Misato asked in a deadly calm tone. Shinji knew that this situation wouldn't end very well.
 
“My instructor…uh…he had me stay a bit longer to go over a few things,” Shinji nervously replied.
 
Asuka folded her arms and grimaced. “Easy, Ikari. I can smell the bull from way over here.”
 
Misato sighed. “Shinji, it's about time we talked about this. Listen, I know you have a life of your own and I'm glad you do, but please take our feelings into consideration. Asuka and I have been very worried about you coming home this late every day.”
 
“Speak for yourself,” said Asuka as she rolled her eyes with irritation, “I just would like to know whether or now someone is cooking dinner. Just like a man to be so inconsiderate.”
 
“Asuka, please.” Misato said, not losing her calm tone. “Look, Shinji, my point is that you have to call if you're going to be late. I gave you that cell phone for a reason. From now on, you are to be home by seven on school nights, is that understood?”
 
“Yes,” Shinji replied dryly. “I'll go make dinner now.”
 
“No, don't worry, I will.” Misato sighed as she stood up to head for the kitchen.
 
“WAIT!” Both children stood to their feet.
 
Misato raised an eyebrow. “Hey, what's the matter?”
 
Shinji smiled nervously, “Um, well, Asuka..ugh!” The redhead elbowed Shinji in the ribs. “Uh, we won't hear of it. We'll make dinner, so you can relax!”
 
Misato asked, “Are you sure? I can whip up a meal for us all in five minutes.”
 
“No, no,” said Asuka, “Think of it as a reward for your hospitality.” “And avoidance of any fatalities…”
 
“You two are sweet. The fact that you're getting along is somewhat creepy, but if I don't have to cook, then it's fine.” Misato smiled as she cracked open a can of Kirin beer.
 
The two EVA pilots sank into the kitchen, shooting sour glares at each other.
 
“Why did you have to drag me into this? It's your turn to cook!” Asuka growled.
 
Shinji sighed. “In any case, it's too late to complain now. Besides, if you were so hungry, why didn't you just cook something?”
 
“Because,” Asuka said bitterly, “It's not my turn.
 
Shinji sighed again. “Well, anyway, let's get started. What should we make?”
 
Asuka shook her head. “It's your turn to cook, so you decided for yourself.” She folded her arms and frowned.
 
Shinji frowned as well. “Why don't we just order out and call it even? This is getting us nowhere.”
 
“Agreed,” Asuka smirked, “but you're paying Ikari. Let's order sushi.”
 
“I don't have that kind of money!” Shinji cried. “Do I look like TM Revolution?”
 
“Good point.” Asuka nodded to herself. “You're far from looking that sexy. But you're still buying dinner.
 
“You just enjoy insulting me, don't you?” Shinji looked at her sourly.
 
“It was just a joke. Geez, you're sensitive.” Asuka rolled her eyes. “Look, I'll pay for half, but you'll owe me a big favor, which I will ask you in the future.”
 
It was Shinji's turn to roll his eyes, “Sure thing, Don Soryu…”
 
“Say something?” Asuka narrowed her eyes at Shinji.
 
“Nope.” Shinji smiled.
 
 
Meanwhile, Ryu walked the streets of Tokyo-3. He pondered upon the past and everything that lead up to what he was currently doing. He had lived through the horror of second impact and supposedly lost his best friend. He had no proof the Ken had died, but the fact that he found no clues to his whereabouts made him worry. The only reason he stopped to train the young boy was that if Ken was indeed alive, he'd be fine by himself. He may have been a rich playboy, but he was no pushover either. Ryu wouldn't give up his search, but if he stayed stationary for a little longer, perhaps a clue would breeze by. A gut feeling told him that his answers would come to him in Toyko-3.
 
As he wondered down the vacant street, he remembered the day the world ended. He witnessed the faces of the people around him melting down into a disgusting sea of red and the screamed in vain for mercy. All he could do was run until he found a safe place to hide. When it was all over, he saw nothing but chaos. The ocean that had been so clear and blue had become crimson and thick. The ground he stood on was littered with bodies of innocent Indian families. He searched for Dhalsim, the monk he and Ken met on their journey together when they were seventeen. He was nowhere to be found.
 
Traveling the world became even harder for Ryu. It took so much to get back to Japan due to the destruction that the Second Impact caused. He remembered the long wait for civilization to recover from the near end of the world. In his spare time he helped the people he found alive to a safer place, a modern shelter that were still operating after the second impact took place. It was located underground and was kept a secret. It occurred to Ryu that this was predicted. He had to find out what it was.
 
“After all this time, I'd think you would at least wear something new,” a women said from behind Ryu, breaking him out of his flashback.
 
Ryu slowly turned around to see a girl, who looked like she was in her late teens. She wore a uniform that seemed to be military and her hair was brown and long. Her eyes were a light brown, but the one thing that seemed to stand out to Ryu the most was the smile on her face, a pleasantly warm smile.
 
Ryu's memory seemed to slowly put the puzzle tighter before he finally asked, “Chun Li?”
 
Chun Li chuckled. “So, you do remember. Good to know your memory's still intact after the so-called `End of the world'. So, what are you doing out here so late?”
 
Ryu replied blankly, “Just going to find a place to sleep for the night.”
 
Chun Li asked, “Do you need a place to stay for a while? I have a two bedroom apartment and you're more than welcome to stay if you want.”
 
Ryu immediately replied, “No, no. That's okay. I'm okay with sleeping on a ben- er, at a hotel, Chun Li. It's a part of my training.” Ryu knew that if he admitted that he was going to sleep outside, she would insist. Ryu just didn't believe in living with a woman unless she was his wife. It wasn't a matter of morals, but Ken's stories about situations like that made him overly cautious. Too bad for him that Chun Li didn't buy his story.
 
“I insist,” she said politely, “besides, it will be no trouble at all, Ryu. It'll give us a chance to catch up.” She smiled while patting his shoulder.
 
“…than she'll smile while patting your shoulder to seal the deal! I'm telling you dude, once you agree, kiss your life of freedom goodbye! Ryu, if a woman lets you stay at her place for free, she basically OWNS you! I'm saying this for you own good, man. Don't fall for it!”
 
After remembering those words that Ken said to him Ryu found himself walking with Chun Li to her apartment. Sometimes his body did things without consulting him first. Of course, this was the first time it happed without hunger being the one to blame. It was a ten minute walk to her apartment and on the way she explained that she was going home from her new job for a government organization. She worked from the internal affairs department as a chief of investigations. However, she was still under the umbrella of Interpol while doing so.
 
When they arrived at her apartment, she also talked about some of the employees. One of whom she believed was a hardcore alcoholic, due to her co-worker chewing her out about going to bars at night when she has to be at work the next day. The one chewing her out was a blonde scientist who seemed almost robotic at times. Then there was the commander who was like a colder version of her own father.
 
As they stepped inside, Chun Li showed Ryu to the room he would be sleeping in. To Ryu, any room was a good room to sleep in. It was decently sized and felt cozy. He wasn't a hard man to please at all. Chun Li also took the liberty of cooking dinner, which the wander street fighter showed his appreciation for by mercilessly devouring every morsel he was given. Afterward, they watch the news together while Ryu explained what he had been doing until recently, which didn't require too much explanation. Soon, they both turned in for the night.
 
As Ryu stared at the ceiling from his futon, he pondered about Ken. Was his best friend really killed in the second impact? Ryu refused to believe it. Not without any proof, at least. Wondering about Ken reminded him of something that he had pushed to the back of his mind earlier.
 
“Ryu, if a woman lets you stay at her place for free, she basically OWNS you!”
 
Ryu shuddered at the thought. He decided to get up and check on her. Perhaps Ken was right and she was planning on making him do all the chores or force him into some kind of in-house labor contract. Ryu knew how ridiculous it sounded, but he still had a naïve side that Ken could easily get to. He arrived at Chun Li's door and slowly slide the door open, just enough for him to see inside. There, he discovered Chun Li sleeping peacefully under the sheets with a smile on her face. She seemed to be muttering something in her sleep, but Ryu couldn't hear it clearly. He smiled softly and silently shut the door before returning to his room.
 
If he could have heard her clearly, he would have heard these words: “Thank God Ryu's still alive.”