One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Mugiwara High School ❯ Extracurriculars ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The first day of school is really just a start to classes. Both the football team and the marching band already started practicing a few weeks ago in preparation for Friday, the season opener against Konoha High School, one of the weakest teams in the league. But each game is a game, it's no different than later in the season when the team gears up to face their two biggest rivals, Baroque Works HS and defending champion Cipher Pol HS, the only team to bring Mugiwara losses last season, both in the regular season and in the Quarterfinals of last season's tournament. Needless to say, the coaches need to keep the team equally pumped for every game.
The team was looking tough during practice. The Offensive Line together looking to unleash fury: Franky as the Center, Paulie and Zambai guarding, Lulu and Tilestone in their tackle positions. Iceburg, the Quarterback, throwing both long bombs and quick passes to his two top receivers, Chaka and Pell. Kohza, the Tight End, also right there. Finally for the offense, the two top Running Backs in the state and the backbone for what many people consider a team that can possibly go all the way to a championship, known as Steel Smoke, Halfback Roronoa “Swordsman” Zoro and Fullback Smoker. An aura of invincibility emanated from them as they know they had unfinished business with Cipher Pol.
The defense also looked just as dangerous. The massive Defensive Line consisted of Dorry and Brogy on the Ends and Oimo and Kaashi in the Tackle positions. Even if the opponent can get through there, due to MHS's 4-4 Defense, they will be greeted by four Linebackers as well. Patty and Carne are taking care of the outside, Wiper and Kamakiri, known as The Skyriders, are getting things done on the inside, a formidable four-pack. If the opponent tried to go in the air, problems are still going to come. In the corners, there waiting was Johnny and Yosaku ready to deflect it away or just plain take it away. Last but not least, the big Safety Dalton, sometimes helping Johnny and Yosaku work, other times just laying out opponents with big hits.
Special Teams mainly consisted of one man, the Devil's Leg. With both accuracy and power, Sanji is a high name Placekicker who has hit field goals from beyond 55 yards and still showed room to go even further. Also taking care of punts and kickoffs, he is a one man machine, definitely showing similar traits to MHS's kicking team coach, Zeff, back when he kicked in the pros.
Head coach Nefertari Cobra was continually pacing the field with a smile on his face. He can easily see the potential, but quickly rectified any mistake he found in a drill, usually chewing out Iceburg or Zoro. They were used to it, so it didn't negatively phase them. They knew they were the two people opponents are going to rush first. His assistants: Zeff, Pagaya, and Genzo were also working alongside the players to make this one of the most solid teams in the state. Coach Cobra looked over his work, and it was good.
 
----
 
Just like the football team, the MHS marching band also continue to work hard to both be a great band and to cheer on the football team. Of course, the strict teaching methods of the director Igaram have led to some criticism but those that have stuck with the program know that greatness is earned, regardless of the activity. While most of the band already started practice weeks ago, today was the first day that the freshmen come in and start to learn the ropes. Baritone section leader Usopp looked down on the sole new freshman for his section.
“You…have horns…”
The long nosed boy looked down at the human-reindeer freshman with curiousity as the suited boy looked up with great glee.
“Hello, I'm Tony Tony Chopper! I can't wait to learn to march!”
“Uh…sure…you sure are tiny aren't you…oh well, I've been in tougher situations…like that golem.”
“A golem? COOOOOOOOOL! Did you use a Grass-type?”
Usopp had to think about that question for a while, obviously since Chopper was completely misinterpreting what he said. He quickly caught on, though, and answered accordingly.
“Err…uh…actually you can use a Blaziken with Doub—OW!”
A trombone slide was poking him in the back of the head. Usopp turned around to find a sheepish (literally) boy poking him in the forehead now.
“Hey, Merry, you can cut it out now.”
“So…we're section leaders of the two biggest, baddest sections in the band now…you prepared?”
Usopp quickly went into a heroic pose.
“So COOOOOOOOOOOOL!” Chopper quickly reacted.
“Of course, we will tackle any challenge that comes our way. I laugh in the face of fear.”
“But what about…her?
Usopp's heroic pose quickly drooped to a pose of defeat. Merry just shook his head.
“You haven't even introduced yourself to her yet, haven't you?”
Usopp's hanging head shook to symbolize a “no”.
“Gol Dee Roger, man! I'll do it, I'm already friends with her. It's not that hard, she's just…”
“…the most beautiful girl in the goddamn world.” Usopp's deflated face finally spoke. “That golden hair, that innocent smile, that beautiful body, that cute face, she's perfect.” His face lifted a bit to look at the trumpet section, who already started their sectional practice (it's not hard to notice when they start, the blaring can heard halfway across the city), and looking at that one girl, already playing. He would've kept looking until the speakers raged with Igaram's voice.
“TROMBONES! BARITONES! GET TO WORK!”
“There he goes, I gotta go back to my section, see ya Usopp.”
“See ya, Merry.”
Merry, on his way back, walked past the trumpets and poked a girl in the back with his slide, the blonde he poked turned around.
“Hey Merry.”
“Hey Kaya.”
 
----
 
Classes are shortened the first day for a special assembly with Principal Aokiji. While he does take care of discipline well, some of students enjoy playing a game called “Let's See if the Principal is Napping”. It has led to his office often being locked to make sure no one comes in and to end that game. Unfortunately his snoring can often be heard outside the office, so the game is often still played without his knowledge. The students will learn when he figured it out once they suddenly see a giant ice statue in the cafeteria which used to be the person that Aokiji caught. Bets are going on who the statue will be of, and right now the popular is the class president and resident troublemaker, Monkey D. Luffy.
That same troublemaker was now bounding up and down the auditorium, much to the humor of all his classmates. That quickly ended when a random hand came from off the stage and Luffy's exclamation of “COLLLLLLLLD!!” The obvious change of temperature meant that the Principal was here and has already gotten off to a bad start regarding the wild boy. As Luffy continued to rub his arm to bring heat back to it, Aokiji took to the podium.
“Welcome Mugiwara Buccaneers to another year of education!”
Collective groans were heard throughout the auditorium.
“…and another year of football…”
Most of the student body started cheering wildly while Aokiji just chuckled.
“Yes, yes, I know everyone's preparing for the beatdo—er—game against the Konoha Leaves Friday, but you all have to survive the week first. There are some very specific rules that you all must follow. Most importantly—“ he immediately a rubbery boy, “Devil Fruit powers are never to be used during class and at other times may only be used in a non-disruptive manner. All staff members are to be treated with respect as well as all your peers. We are all family here…nakama, if you will…we help each other in class, in sports, in music, in other extracurricular activities. No one person is more important than the other, I learned this in my previous job, where constantly those that were put on a pedestal were done so at the expense of many other students. Their belief was that if one person was to be the greatest, that all the others could be thrown away. Not here, here we are all great at something, if you don't think so, you just haven't found what you're great at. You are all Buccaneers, you will achieve your greatest potential along with everyone else. Thank you and have a great first day of class.”
Aokiji left the stage and the student body all filed out to their respective classrooms.