One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Nest Egg ❯ Getting to Know You ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
ONE PIECE
NEST EGG

CHAPTER VI: GETTING TO KNOW YOU

BY
Sgame82

     Robin sat on a riverbank, watching Kohato and Kasa swim in the water. Soon after she had returned home, Kohato had begged to be allowed to go swimming. Tosa and Kasa had insisted Robin go with them. Though obviously she wasn’t about to do any swimming herself. It was clear that the couple were trying to give Robin a chance to get to know Kohato. Robin was half-angry, half-grateful to them for that. Grateful for the opportunity to see what kind of person Kohato was growing up to be. Angry because this would surely make the moment she eventually left this island all the more painful. But for now, she took a page out of her captain’s book and just enjoyed the moment, not thinking of the future.

     As Robin watched Kohato swim around in the river with her Mama, often getting out of the water just so she could jump back in, Tosa told Robin a bit about her daughter. Physically, Kohato was more or less a tiny version of Robin. Her hair was just as black and eyes just as blue. Though Kohato’s eyes had a roundness (an innocence, Robin thought to herself) that Robin’s eyes had lost a long time ago. She had inherited her father’s short height. Tosa explained that she was often mistaken for a five year old instead of a seven year old. It was the only thing that really got the child angry. When she got angry, she’d often simply tackle whoever had ticked her off. They frequently had to discipline Kohato after hearing that she’d tackled someone who’d called her short.

     As Robin could clearly see, Kohato was an energetic little girl. Something, as Tosa explained, she inherited from her father. Shuban had apparently been quite the on-the-go child himself. She went to school at a little school house in town. Not surprisingly, she loved history. Something, it seemed, she’d inherited from her mother. On the way to the river they were at, Kohato had told Robin some of the things her teacher taught. It was all stuff Robin learned before she was even Kohato’s age. But she listened attentively and let the child talk. Robin even told her a few historical facts of her own. Kohato was amazed at Robin’s knowledge and began asking her question after question after question after question after question after question. Robin happily answered every one of them, unable to hold back her own delight at Kohato‘s curiosity. Robin found herself hoping that Kohato might carry on her family’s legacy of archaeology without even being aware of it.

     Kohato pulled herself out of the river once again. But instead of jumping back in ran up to Robin.

     “Miss Nojiko,” she said, “Aren’t you gonna go swimming, too?”

     “No, dear, I can’t swim.” Robin answered.

     “You can’t?” Kohato asked, “But then why’re you wearin’ a swimsuit?”

     “Huh?” Robin asked puzzled. She looked down and saw what Kohato meant. To someone who didn’t know better, the top and skirt Robin wore could resemble a two-piece bathing suit just a little bit. Kohato and Kasa both wore matching dark blue one piece suits. Tosa wore swim trunks with a t-shirt.

     “This isn’t a swimsuit, dear.”

     “You wear that all the time?!” Kohato asked in slight amazement. Robin tried not to laugh. Nobody in this little town dressed as provocatively as Robin sometimes did. So of course the child would find it surprising.

     “Why can’t you swim?” Kohato asked. She was equally surprised that a grown woman like Miss Nojiko couldn’t swim while Kohato herself was an excellent swimmer.

     “Well, you see…” Robin stammered, not sure how to explain.

     “Miss Nojiko ate a Fruit of the Devil.” Tosa answered. Robin looked at him in shock. How could he tell her that? If she mentioned it to anyone else…

     “Wow.” Kohato uttered in amazement. She’d heard of Devil Fruits before in school. She knew you got neat powers while losing the ability to swim. But she’d never met someone who’d eaten one.

     “What’s yours do?” she asked Robin

     “If it’s okay with Miss Nojiko, we’ll show you. But you have to keep it top secret. Okay?”

     “Okay!” Kohato said with a thumbs up. Tosa nodded to Robin, which Robin took to mean she’d keep the secret. Without a word, Robin used her Hana-Hana Fruit’s powers and made a slender arm appear behind Kohato. The hand on that arm then tapped the girl on her shoulder. Kohato jumped back a pace or two when she saw Robin’s hand sticking out of the sand. Her round eyes widened further in amazement. Robin proceeded to have the hand pick a flower out of the grass and hand it to Kohato. The child’s excitement as she took the gift was clear. This was bar none the neatest thing she had ever witnessed and she said as much.

     Robin spent the rest of their time at the riverbank using her powers to play with Kohato. She used various little tricks and pranks she’d come up with while doing much the same thing with Luffy, Usopp, and Chopper back on the Merry. She even used a favorite of the crew’s and put two hands out the side of Kohato’s head to resemble reindeer’s (namely, Chopper’s) antlers. This continued until it got dark and Kasa & Tosa, over Kohato’s objections, insisted it was time to go home.

* * * * *

     After a delicious dinner it was time for bed. Tosa & Kasa set up a futon in Kohato’s bedroom for Robin to sleep on. Once again, it was obvious to Robin that they were putting the two together. Kohato didn’t mind one bit. She had come to like Robin. Something Robin could not deny she was happy about.

     She lie there on the futon as Kohato slept soundly. Robin listened to the sound of her child breathing softly mixed with the occasional movement. A part of Robin couldn’t help but sit up and watch her. The bed’s comforters were a bit of a mess as a result of Kohato’s moving around in her sleep. Robin created some arms on the bed and adjusted the blankets to cover Kohato better. Making sure not to disturb the little girl with a doll clutched in her arms.

     Robin felt a pang of regret, as she often did when she thought about Kohato. Regret she couldn’t be here herself. Robin knew, however, that she had made plenty of enemies in her life. Most of whom would love the chance to use Kohato to harm her. She didn’t want Kohato getting mixed up in that life. Not so long as she could help it.

     Robin sighed to herself as she realized she had wasted the entire day. All the time she should have spent gathering information on the scientist Owlshiki and the Naval marines at the docks she instead wasted playing at the riverbank with Kohato.

     To Robin’s surprise, she didn’t regret that one bit.

     But she couldn’t let tomorrow become a day of play. First thing tomorrow morning she went to work. She would try to learn the motives of this Akumanominologist and, if they were hostile, she would deal with him accordingly. Then, as soon as that was done, she would be gone. She would rejoin Luffy and the others (who, if they hadn’t arrived yet likely would soon) and get out of this place before she found herself unable to leave.

     Robin caught herself leaning towards the bed, intending to give Kohato a kiss goodnight, but backed off. She lied down and went to sleep. She planned on an early start tomorrow morning.

* * * * *

     “Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo” Owlshiki chuckled to himself.

     He had found her.

     One of his marines in his command had spotted her by the riverbank. She had been seen in town, as well. He debated on whether or not to make his move immediately or wait until tomorrow. He wanted to handle this delicately. He had to be certain of his facts before he gave the government anything. He didn’t want any of his Marines getting suspicious enough that they would go and report his activities to Navy Headquarters.

     He decided it best to wait until later. See what they did tomorrow, and act accordingly. If the right opportunity arose, he might even be able to get her to come to him.

* * * * *

     The next morning Robin was in the town, asking the people about the Navy’s presence. Robin noticed there were fewer marines in the town today than yesterday. The people she spoke to seemed to think it meant they were preparing to leave. Robin herself wasn’t so sure.

     With Robin walked Tosa and Kohato. Kohato had begged to tag along with Robin, who she had come to look up to. Tosa had come along to make sure Kohato stayed safe. If something happened, he promised Robin he’d get her away immediately.

     Robin looked to her next destination. The town general store. Robin was hesitant. It was the same place Shuban had owned. Though Tosa and Kasa had sold it rather than run it themselves. After taking a moment to compose herself, she entered to ask the current owner some questions, leaving Kohato and Tosa outside.

     Since the Navy’s reason for being here was supposedly to resupply and repair their ship, the general store had had the most direct contact with the Marines in town. A small amount of flirting, and he was able to give her plenty of information about them. As she was finishing up, she suddenly heard a sound outside.

     “Yaaa!!!”
< br>      It was Kohato! Robin didn’t hesitate to turn and run outside.