One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Nest Egg ❯ Rescue Mission ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
ONE PIECE
NEST EGG

CHAPTER IX: RESCUE MISSION

BY
Sgame82

     Ko hato sat in the room she had woken up in. It had a small candle that provided the only real light. There was some shining from a small window near the ceiling, but it didn’t do Kohato much good. There were a couple others windows like it in the room, but no light came out of them. The floor, walls, door, and ceiling were all made of some odd black-blue stone Kohato didn’t know. She didn’t know how much time had passed, though she knew it was a lot.

     That Owlshiki guy had been doing all kinds of stuff to her. At first, it was a bunch of men dressed in white coats like him taking her measurements and asking questions. It reminded Kohato a lot of when her Mama and Papa took her for check-ups at the doctor’s. But then some of the men began throwing stuff at her. They were just bean bags, but they took her by such surprise that she’d reacted instinctively.

     Kohato was still in shock at what had happened. She hadn’t dodged. She’d put her hands in front of her face without thinking. Also without thinking, Kohato had made a third hand appear out of the floor that caught the bean bag. When she first saw the hand she thought it was Miss Nojiko-

     No, Nico Robin. Kohato corrected herself, remembering the name on that wanted poster.

     -she thought it was Nico Robin trying to get her. But then she saw the arm looked just like her left one. It even had a small scar on it from when she’d scraped her hand in a fall. Owlshiki and his men seemed very pleased with themselves. As if they’d known that this would happen.

     From there, they’d left Kohato alone for a couple of hours. She’d spent most of that time figuring out how she’d done that thing with her hands. She learned that if she concentrated hard enough she could make them appear anywhere she wanted. The Owlshiki-men had put this to the test, putting a tray of food just out of her reach. She’d had to make hands to grab it and hand it to herself.

     She’d finished her food and was now just sitting cross-legged in the room. A few minutes of quiet later Kohato heard an odd rumbling noise. She put her hand to her stomach, thinking maybe she ate something bad. But she didn’t feel any different. Kohato heard the noise get louder. She quickly identified the source, the lightless windows in her room.

     Suddenly water started pouring out of the holes into the room at a frightening rate. Kohato wasn’t sure what was going on. She began to panic as the water began rising. Past her feet. Past her knees. Past her waist. Kohato started to scream when the water went past her elbows and then to her shoulders. As the water began passing her head, she managed to retain enough conscious thought in her panicked state to begin treading water. In spite of that though, Kohato was scared out of her mind.

     Just as suddenly as it had begun, the water began draining from the room. Kohato fell to her hands and knees and coughed up the bit of salty water she’d swallowed in the brief ordeal.

* * * * *

     As he watched Kohato recover from his little flood, Owlshiki couldn’t contain his glee. Adoyoshi Kohato was the find of his career. All of the strengths of a Devil Fruit. None of the weaknesses! She could even sit in a room constructed entirely of Seastone without feeling even the slightest bit tired. With such a child in his possession he’d be set for life. The only thing that would make him even further secure would be to figure out just why she’d inherited the power while other children of Devil Fruit eaters had not.

     He already had several theories working in his head. First and foremost, obviously, children had to be born after their parent ate the fruit. Can’t inherit what isn’t there. Second, the initial use of powers seemed to begin with traumatic events. Performed more by instinct than will. That suggested perhaps that these other children did have abilities, but lacked the fright needed to bring them out. Perhaps, Owlshiki thought, it had to do with the age at which her mother had eaten the Hana-Hana fruit. Nico Robin had gained her powers at age eight, before the onset of puberty. Perhaps having Devil Fruit abilities while going through the changes of adolescence increased the likelihood of passing on those powers in some way.

     So many theories. So little time. The navy was certain to begin asking questions about his recent acquisition. Of course, by then he’d have more research completed and ready to present. When he showed the government this, they would practically be begging for Owlshiki to find more like Adoyoshi. They’d likely want to take Kohato as well. With her abilities she, like her mother, would likely become an assassin.

     Owlshiki didn’t mind the inevitable loss, though. If this went well, he’d have plenty more test subjects in the future. With time, he’d learn which of his theories were the correct ones.

* * * * *

     Night had fallen before the Straw Hat pirates were finished planning and ready to move. It had been the longest day of Nico Robin’s life. She hated standing aside, unable to do anything. If her powers had granted her one true gift, it was that she was anything but helpless. But she understood the feeling all too well right now.

     She’d been forced to stay aside as Tosa and Kasa were taken into custody by Marines. Nami and Zoro had had to all but tie her down to keep her from going to them and Kohato. She’d had to force herself to stay silent, fighting every urge to make the others go faster. Every moment picturing what kind of Hell Kohato might be enduring. Only the fact that she would do exactly the same if it were anybody but Kohato held her tongue.

     Finally, though, just as the moon was coming into sight, everything was ready. The plan was relatively simple. Just needed some logistic details worked out. When night fell, the crew, minus Sanji and Chopper, would board the ship and start wreaking havoc. Sanji and Chopper, however, would be sneaking in during the chaos to find and rescue Kohato and her parents. Chopper would be able to locate the Adoyoshis with his sense of smell. He’d also be equipped to give any medical treatment that might be necessary. Sanji was there because Robin knew that, of all of them, Sanji's chivalrous nature would make absolutely sure that nothing happened to Kohato, Tosa, and Kasa.

     The crew lined up in an alley on the docks where the Marine ship was moored. Luffy and Zoro were itching to start fighting. Usopp and Nami far less so. But they’d enter the fray just the same. Robin stood behind them, ready to move as well. Sanji and Chopper stood behind Robin, waiting for their opportunity. When everyone was ready to go, Usopp pulled out his slingshot and held it high at an angle. He put a pellet in and pulled back the band.

     “Killer Move… Gunpowder Star!!!”

     He let the shot fly out. With the precision Robin had come to expect of Usopp, the pellet landed on the deck of the Navy ship, exploding on contact. The officers on duty immediately scrambled to see what had happened. Leaving them easy pray for a Gomu-Gomu Gatling Gun from Luffy, who had rocketed himself up to the boat. Zoro, making his way on board right behind Luffy, caught the Marines Luffy’s attack missed. The one’s Zoro missed, Nami and Robin took out.

     The noise, as would be expected, brought up the Marines who had been sleeping below decks. They were the next to fall victim to the Straw Hats’ attack. As the fighting went on, Robin caught out of the corner of her eye the sight of Sanji and Chopper charging into the ship’s interior. Robin thought for a moment of Chopper’s purpose in going and made a silent promise to herself.

     If Kohato needs a doctor… Owlshiki will need an undertaker.

AUTHOR'S NOTES:
I'll use this chapter to add in some notes about the names of the characters I made for this story.

When I make up names, I like to take a word or phrase mix and match it with the equivalent of the word(s) in other languages.

Owlshiki - Taken (initially) from the English and Japanese words for "Knowledge." (Knowledge and Chishiki) The owl-like description and laugh came after, when I realized I had (completely by accident) included the word "owl" in his name.

Adoyoshi - From the English and Japanese words for "Adopt." (Adopt & Yoshi)

Kohato - Literally "Little Dove." In hindsight, though, I think I probably should've spelled it "Hatoko", but ah well...

Tosa & Kasa - Otosan (Father) & Okasan (Mother). Combined with "Adoyoshi", It's sorta like saying their name is "Adopted Father" and "Adopted Mother."

Shuban - Engish & Japanese for "Husband." (Husband & Shujin)

Sakasido - From English and Japanese words for "Upside Down" (upside down & sakasama ni)