One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Nest Egg ❯ Bargain ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
<html>

<body>
<p><center><b><i><u>ONE PIECE</u><br>
SITTING ON THE WAVES</i><br>
CHAPTER XI: BARGAIN</b><br>
BY<br>
Sgamer82</center></p><p>


&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOn a naval ship moored in a small village’s harbor, a battle raged. Though for two people, they may as well have been alone.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspNico Robin stood facing the Akumanominologist, Owlshiki. Her eyes surveyed the man who had put her daughter through things she could only guess at. He wasn’t very imposing, Robin didn’t think she’d have much difficulty getting what she wanted out of this encounter. She swore this man would forever regret getting involved in her affairs.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspSince Sanji and Chopper had exited the ship, carrying a sick-looking Kohato out with them, Owlshiki had looked at her with terror badly hidden in his eyes. He knew what was coming. Robin made two arms come out of the man’s shoulders. One took hold of his chin, the other the top of the head. With this hold, Robin would have little difficulty snapping Owlshiki’s neck. He knew it too, as he began to whimper a bit. But just as soon as they appeared, the arms retracted. Robin had decided on a better, some might say crueler, course of action.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“Come with me, Professor.” Robin called as she walked into the boat’s interior. She made the hands she had holding Owlshiki’s arms put pressure on him, releasing their grip only when he was following right behind. The two wandered the halls of the ship’s interior. She opened doors and looked inside them. Closing them as soon as she’d decided what she wanted wasn’t to be found there.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspRobin looked at her prisoner, thinking about whether she should simply ask him where to find what she wanted. She dismissed the idea, between having his life literally in Robin’s hands and the sounds of the chaos on deck, the man was a terrified wreck. Robin had no desire to interrupt his cowering. So she continued, until, in a lower deck, she found it.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOwlshi ki moaned as he saw the door, confirming Robin’s thoughts before she even opened it. It was the man’s office. His main one, not the one he used for the humdrum details of day-to-day business. She walked inside, where she saw one wall completely destroyed, as was also as a glass partition leading into a room below. This had clearly been where Kohato was held, and rescued. She looked around the room more closely. Behind a desk was a large painting of the Akumanominologist. Robin said out lout as she approached the portrait. She pulled it away from the wall, revealing a safe within.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“How predictable.” Robin said as she turned to Owlshiki, “Tell me the combination.”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspThe man was silent.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“You aren’t gaining some courage now, are you?” Robin asked, “We can’t have that.”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspRobin held out her hand, and pushed it forward slightly. Owlshiki’s body began to bend backwards, with help from the hands that held him.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“Okay! Okay!” he screamed. He presented the combination, which Robin used to quickly open the safe. Inside, as Robin had thought, were a large assortment of papers and books. Owlshiki’s notes and journals. She did nothing with them. Leaving the safe open, she turned around and left the room, making Owlshiki follow. The frightened, and now confused, man could only stumble behind his captor as she returned to the main deck. The chaos had quieted and, upon looking outside, Robin and Owlshiki saw that the majority of the navy Marines had been beaten. The crew hadn’t emerged unscathed either, but their injuries were comparatively minor. Owlshiki let out a soft gasp when he surveyed the scene.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“Shock ed your troops were beaten, Professor? Or, maybe, have you noticed that my crewmates are throwing them off of the boat?”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspAnd Owlshiki had, in fact, noticed this and didn’t like what it promised. Zoro, Luffy, and Sanji were hauling the defeated Marines onto the dock, off of the ship. Members of the ship’s science team were bound, being kept on the dock also. Usopp watched over them. If all had gone according to plan, Nami and Chopper would be tending to Kohato.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“Profe ssor.” Robin whispered, “You should know, I stepped onto this ship with every intention of killing you, should something have happened to my daughter.”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“I-I gathered.”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“Howev er, I’ve changed my mind. I’m going to give you a chance to escape this alive. Follow me.”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspRobin walked to the bow of the ship so they could be alone. Everyone else was on the docks or otherwise preoccupied, so little attention was given to the woman and her prisoner.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“Profe ssor, I will make you an offer. You can leave here alive, if you do a few simple tasks for me. Refuse, and I will simply kill you where you stand.”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspThe scientist knew enough about Nico Robin’s past to understand she did make idle threats.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“What are these tasks?”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“There are three. First, you must forget you ever learned of the name Adoyoshi Kohato. You came to this island searching for me. One of your Marines, forgetting the poster was 20 years old, brought you a girl who just happened to resemble me a great deal.”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“Done! ” Owlshiki caved.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“Secon d, you must, from this day forward, give up your work on hereditary Devil Fruit powers.”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“Fine… ” the man said, more reluctantly that he did with his acceptance of Robin’s cover story.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“That alone will not stop others from following your work. She’ll be moved from this island when all is settled. However, I don’t want to risk anybody possibly discovering Kohato again.”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“I told you, I’d forget about her.”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“But will your colleagues? We scientists can be a competitive group, Professor. We both know this. What they will see is a man who was on course for a major breakthrough, only to suddenly stop? They’ll wonder why. They’ll question your assistants, who, if they don’t know the truth, will likely have a guess or two. Some might even resort to less honorable means and attempt to steal your records.”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“All my data is in the safe below decks! You saw it!”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“You swear that’s everything?”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“I swear!”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“Good, then that’s one half of task three settled. That data will be destroyed as soon as I sink this ship.’

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“S-S-S -Sink!”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“Why do you think I left the safe open? It’s likely waterproof, if I sank the boat without opening it first, the information within might actually survive.”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOwlshi ki’s face lost all its color, only now did he fully realize the woman’s intent in going into the ship.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“So all that remains is the other half of my task.” Robin said, “I just told you to destroy your data so nobody could follow your work to my daughter. But again, that won’t stop some. Research into the subject itself will continue. That’s where you will come in.”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“No… you can’t… you can’t mean…”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“Yes. Starting now, you will proceed to sabotage any research done into the branch of Akumanominology relating to Devil Fruit powers and heredity.”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“I-I can’t!”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“Sure you can, Professor. Who would dare argue with the greatest expert in the field. You can surely tell researchers on the right path that they’re wrong. Come up with whatever proof you like to support yourself. Only the most stubborn will fight you, and the most stubborn are usually young bucks fresh out of school that are easily discredited.”

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspIt was that moment it happened. When it did, Robin was caught off guard. Robin had focused at this point on laying out her plans for Owlshiki, torturing him by making him swear not only to give up his most cherished research, but to sabotage anybody else who might take it up. The most painful thing a true man of science can do is intentionally keep people ignorant. And for all his faults, Robin recognized a man of science before her. For whatever reason, fame, money, knowledge, he sought the truths of the world wherever and however he could, believing the ends justified the means. But now, he would have to give it up.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspThe moment this all hit Owlshiki it happened. His fear turned into something else. Rage. She had promised he could leave alive, but only if he agreed to what he thought of as a fate worse than death. Robin, not expecting something so reckless, was caught completely off-guard when the man she thought she held captive attacked her. His head lowered as he ran, charging like a bull fighting a matador. He hit Robin right in the stomach, knocking the wind out of her and knocking her backwards.

<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspBackwa rds and off the ship. Into the waiting seas below.
</p>
</body>
</html>