Original Stories Fan Fiction / Angels Fan Fiction ❯ Angel and Demon Wars ❯ Chapter One - War Is Upon Us ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Okay, so I started the first attempt at this story a while ago, and gave up early on. But now I've actually planned out where this story will go and everything, so there will be no reason to give up on it this time. That said, here it is: Angel and Demon Wars, chapter one.
 
 
Angel and Demon Wars
-
Chapter One
-
© 2007 Ohne Sie
 
Disclaimer: All characters, places, and events contained within this story are completely fictional and owned by me. Any resemblances to existing or future works are complete coincidental.
 
 
Keisuke was faced with a very difficult task.
 
The gods had decided that the animosity between the demons and angels must come to an end, before a war would begin. There was a suspicion among the gods that a war was already brewing, and that each side had begun preparing a future army, using students at the Angel and Demon Academies. Something had to be done.
 
Again, Keisuke was faced with a very difficult task. He alone had to enter the academies and watch, to see if the gods' suspicions were correct. In the event that they were, Keisuke must then do what he had to do in order to ensure that nothing resulted from the preparation of troops.
 
The problem was figuring out what to do in that case. As a god, Keisuke had access to all the magic on Heaven, Hell, and Earth. He could use all of it, included some powers only a god had. However, there was no way to prevent ill feelings between the species. There was no way, at least, that a god, or any creature, could use. That would be interfering with free will, and the only way to do that was to use a chalice that had been missing for millennia. Only the fairies knew where it was, and they couldn't give it out without giving the person who wanted it a test, which no one ever passed. No one ever knew the reason, but the fairies themselves could not use it, either. Keisuke had a plan that he had been developing for some time, but he preferred not to use it. His only hope was that the two armies were not being prepared for war.
 
His hopes were shattered the moment he stepped into Angel Academy. He was greeted with anti-demon propaganda at every corner. When he walked into the headmistress's office, the angel there seemed surprised to see him.
 
“Um, hello.” She studied him closely, peering at his robes and quickly inspecting his demeanor. “Can I help you?”
 
“My name is Keisuke, fifth-ranking God. I was sent here to do a full investigation into some suspicions that your academy might be preparing students for war, Ms. Yuto.”
 
The headmistress frowned. “I assure you, sir, that there is no such activity taking place at my school. This is a prestigious academy, and the only thing we are preparing our students for is life outside these walls. You may investigate all you like, but you will find nothing suspicious.”
 
Keisuke nodded, his hands folded behind his back. “I understand. However, I have noticed some unsettling propaganda adorning the walls.”
 
Ms. Yuto shrugged. “It's merely a friendly rivalry. I'm sure you can understand that. We like our students to vent their anger in suitable ways, by directing it toward the demons, whom they will likely never meet. We teach them not to fight if they do meet demons, however. They are simply…scapegoats, if you will.”

“To be safe, I must investigate. If I may ask, who are your top students, and where are they housed?” Keisuke already knew the answer, but he needed to provide a credible cover story, in case the headmistress decided to cause trouble for him.
 
“Why, they would be Ami and Sadako, two of our seniors. They are actually housed together. If you would like, I can provide you with a map to their room.”
 
“That won't be necessary. I would like to know their room number, however.”
 
“They are in room B129. If that is everything, then please excuse me. You are welcome to investigate every square inch of this campus. You will find nothing.” She nodded as she held the door open for the god. “Good evening, sir.”
 
Keisuke stepped into the hall. Unable to keep up the polite façade any longer, he rolled his eyes and grimaced. This was not his idea of a good mission. He wondered how he had been the one relegated to bringing peace to Heaven and Hell. He was supposedly qualified for it, but so were the gods ranked above him. It would make more sense for someone more experienced to do it, but none of them had volunteered, so it fell to him. “At least I have a plan,” he assured himself. 
 
At that precise moment, an angel with long brown hair was lying on her bed with her back to the ceiling and her legs bent, her feet pointing to the ceiling as well. In her right hand she held a pen, which was perched at the side of her mouth. She absently chewed the end of the pen and stared into a text book lying in front of her. “Ami,” she said suddenly, “In what year did the gods create Heaven and Hell to separate angels and demons? I can't find it in here for some reason.”
 
The girl to whom she was speaking, an angel with strawberry blonde hair, was seated at a desk, twirling a pencil around and studying her textbook in much the same way as her roommate. She set the pencil down and opened a drawer of her desk, producing a notebook, which she flipped through, finally settling on the correct page. “Um…let's see. It looks like they did it after the Demon Wars, which ended in the year 121, so…” She flipped the book open to the next page and pointed. “Aha! The year 124 was when they were built, Sadako.”
 
“Thanks.” Sadako jotted that information down and snapped her books shut. “Well, I'm done,” she announced, standing. “When you're finished, do you want to go with me to that party down the hall?”
 
Ami sighed. “I don't know. It seems like something Ms. Yuto might get mad about. Hey, wait,” Ami mused. “Isn't it being held in Yasuo's room?” She smirked. “Is that why you want to go?”
 
Sadako wrinkled her nose. “No…it would just be fun to get out of here, you know? Away from books and studying and all that boring stuff. Plus, you know, we were invited. And you know how rare an invitation to a party is.”
 
Ami nodded. She knew all to well that only a select few angels could be invited to a party. After all, it was very difficult to keep a party secret, without the headmistress finding out and sentencing all partygoers to punishment by having to serve lunch in the cafeteria, or scrub every toilet in the school. She grimaced, thinking of how many toilets there were in the building. Probably about as many as there are students, she thought. So close to a thousand. Not my idea of a fun time. Still, though, as Sadako had said, a party invitation was rare. It would be foolish not to show up. Who knew when the next opportunity would arise? “All right,” Ami conceded, closing her book. “I'll go.”
 
“Yay!” Sadako ran over to her dresser, pulling out clothes she could wear.
 
Ami shook her head. “Why bother dressing up? We see those people every day.”
 
“Hush. It'll only take a minute. I need to change into this skirt, and fix my makeup, and we can go, okay? Unless you want to dress up or something.”
 
Ami rolled her eyes. “Please. I'm not going to bother.” As she said that, there was a knock on their door. Sadako was in the bathroom, so Ami walked over to open it. “If this is about the party,” she started to say, but when she opened the door she stopped.
 
The man standing in front of her was tall, but he didn't appear to be much older than her. However, there was something about him that seemed strange. He looked nice enough, with silky brown hair and dark brown eyes, but there was an air of mystery about him. “Hello,” he said. “Ami, right?”
 
“Yeah,” she replied softly, staring at him. “Who are you?”
 
“Keisuke,” he replied simply. “I need to talk to you and your roommate. May I come in?”
 
“Ah…yes,” Ami said, stepping aside. “Sadako is…she's in the bathroom right now, getting ready for a…I mean, she's…uh…”
 
Sadako stepped out of the bathroom, saving Ami from having to make up an excuse that had nothing to do with the party. “Uh, hi,” she said. “I'm Sadako. And you are…?”
 
“Keisuke,” Keisuke and Ami said simultaneously. They looked at each other and Keisuke smiled. Ami hurriedly turned away.
 
“Well…” Sadako sat on her bed, looking at the stranger. “Why are you here?”
 
“Ms. Yuto told me you two were the best in your class. It seems that the High Council of Angels is looking for two interns. The gods decided to send one of us here to select two candidates for it.”
 
“Gods?” Ami and Sadako looked at each other with wide eyes. “Wait, you're a god?” Sadako asked.
 
“Yeah,” he replied uncomfortably. “Although not one of the higher-ranking ones.” He coughed. “Anyway, the job will allow you to graduate early, since you'll be required to go on a field mission to prove your worth to the High Council.”
 
“Field mission?” Ami asked doubtfully. “But if we fail it, we won't get the jobs, will we?”
 
Keisuke shook his head. “No, but you'll still have graduated at the top of your class, so you needn't worry about finding a good job. What do you think?”
 
“I don't know,” Sadako said cautiously.
 
“I'll do it,” Ami said at the same time. Again, she and Sadako looked at each other.
 
Sadako sighed. “I guess I'm in, too. If Ami doesn't see anything wrong with it, I guess it should be fine.”
 
Keisuke nodded. “Good. You'll graduate immediately, tomorrow. You should also pack your bags, because the field tests start abruptly. You never know when I'll be back to take you to the location. Good night, ladies. And enjoy that party.” He left the room, closing the door behind him with an audible click. The two girls stared after him.
 
“Uh…what did we just do?” Ami asked.
 
Sadako shrugged. “I think we just graduated,” she said. The angels looked at each other again.
 
“I have a bad feeling about this…” Ami said, immediately regretting her hasty decision.
 
 
 
 
“Channel your energy. Think of fire. Become fire. When you are ready, hit me with a blast.”
 
Two demons stood, facing each other, in a mostly unadorned room. One, a green-eyed male demon with black hair, had his hands out in front of him, as if he were blocking against something. The other, a female student with the same color hair and red eyes, closed her eyes, standing with her arms hanging at her sides. Suddenly, her hands shot up and a fiery blast came from them, aimed directly at her teacher. Just as it was about to strike him, however, it stopped, and disappeared as suddenly as it had appeared.
 
“That was excellent, Maeko” the man said, clearly pleased. “That was the best I've seen from any student this year.”
 
“Thank you,” the girl replied, grinning. “Is that really true? Or are you just saying that because you like me?” She laughed when she noticed that his face was turning red.
 
“Well, no, it's actually true. I do like you, though. But you know that. I just wish your father…”
 
She nodded. “My father might have something to say if you tell him that, yeah.” She laughed again. “But why do you care what he thinks? I'm eighteen. I have a mind of my own and I can make my own decisions.” She shrugged. “When I graduate, we can be together, right, Suoh?”
 
“Right.” Suoh grinned. “Hey, you know your lesson is over, right? I think I see your sister waiting for you outside.”
 
Maeko glanced to the door, where a purple-haired demon was standing, looking up at the sky. Maeko sighed. “I guess I should go. I'll see you later?”
 
“Yeah, come by for a practice session at eight.”
 
Maeko giggled. “Right. Practice session.” She winked at Suoh before running to the door. “Ichigo!” she said, catching her sister by surprise and attacking her with a hug.
 
“Hey, Maeko,” Ichigo replied, smiling. “How was the lesson?”
 
“Good! I'm the best he's seen all year.” They started walking along the path to the dormitories. “Hey, how do you think Dad would react if I started publicly dating Suoh?” she asked nonchalantly.
 
“Are you kidding?” Ichigo replied. “He'd kill him. Unless you mean, after you graduate.”
 
“Well, yeah.” Maeko sighed. “If only I could graduate early…”
 
“I don't see why you can't. You're the best in our class. All the teachers say you have natural skills. Even if, you know…you don't study. Ever.”
 
Maeko laughed. “Like you're one to talk. The only reason you're ranked below me is because you're always caught daydreaming in class. When you actually pay attention, you perform better than me.” She opened the door when they reached their room, and allowed Ichigo to enter before her. “Hey,” she said as Ichigo headed for their computer. “Be careful with that. There are some really weird people on the internet. I heard recently that there was an angel posing as a demon who would meet demons from the internet and then kill them.”
 
Ichigo smiled. “Yeah, but I've been talking to this really nice guy. His father is a general in the army. I'm sure he's genuine.”
 
“Sounds like you really like this guy,” Maeko said. “Would Dad approve?”
 
“I hope so. I mean, if the relationship progresses…or whatever.” Ichigo was blushing. “Right now we're friends, but I've been dropping hints, and I don't know if he's interested or not. I hope he is.”
 
“You're kind of rambling, sis,” Maeko said. She started laughing, and there was a knock on the door. Because Ichigo was preoccupied with her online boyfriend, Maeko answered it. Before her stood a tall, strange man, with brown hair and eyes, who looked only a few years older than her. “Hello,” she said.
 
“Hello,” he responded. “You're Maeko and Ichigo, right?”
 
Maeko shrugged. “I'm Maeko, she's Ichigo. And you are…?”
 
“Keisuke rank 5 God,” he replied. Maeko and Ichigo glanced at each other.
 
“Oh? Why would a god need to see us?” Maeko asked suspiciously. “We're just two schoolgirls.”
 
“Because I have a feeling that at least one of you wants to graduate early, for one reason or another.” He smirked as Maeko squirmed a bit. “And I have a way for you to do that.”
 
“And what way is this?” Maeko asked.
 
“The Demon Council is recruiting interns. They're willing to accelerate the graduation of two academy seniors in order to send them on a test to show their worth to the Council.”
 
“What kind of test?” Ichigo asked, walking up behind Maeko.
 
“A field test. It could last a few months, which is why they offered to graduate you early. Generally it only lasts a week or two, however. It's always some sort of quest to find something. You have to use any magic powers you have or whatever in order to find it.”
 
“Really…” Maeko narrowed her eyes suspiciously. “And if we accept, we'll graduate early? What's the catch?”
 
“You miss out on your most cherished high school memories?” Keisuke shrugged. “No catch. I'm offering you this opportunity because you two are the highest-ranking demons, and because your father is very well-respected in the demon community.”
 
“I'll do it,” Maeko decided.
 
“Me too,” Ichigo said softly.
 
“Well, good, then. You will receive your diplomas tomorrow morning. You should pack your bags tonight, because you will be expected to start your test tomorrow afternoon. Good night.” Before either girl could say something, Keisuke vanished.
 
Maeko turned to her sister and laughed. “Cool. That's a problem solved.”
 
Ichigo smiled. “I just hope the test is something I can do.”
 
“Don't worry, we'll be fine. We'll be together, after all.” Maeko put her arm around her sister's shoulder. “Why don't you go ahead and tell your boyfriend the good news?” she asked, pointing at the computer. Ichigo stuck out her tongue.