Original Stories Fan Fiction / Angels Fan Fiction ❯ Angel and Demon Wars ❯ Chapter Two - Angels and Demons Working Together? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's note: Okay, if these characters don't seem to reflect your personalities yet, don't worry. They'll be more like you later on. Promise. And I changed the title, if you didn't notice already. Also...bunnies. That is all.
 
Angel and Demon Wars
-
Chapter Two
-
© 2007 Ohne Sie
 
 
 
Ami had been wearing a blindfold for hours. During that time, she was only able to communicate with Sadako, who was also wearing a blindfold. Keisuke, the god they had met only yesterday, had teleported them somewhere they were not allowed to see. Ami would have removed the blindfold, but Keisuke had ordered them to stay on, and she always had trouble disobeying orders. Besides, he seemed pretty insistent, and she wasn't sure that it was a good idea to make him mad. As her head spun with thoughts of where she might be, she heard two voices she didn't recognize nearby.
 
“Where are we?” one girl asked.
 
“I don't know,” another girl replied. “I wonder when we can take off this blindfold.”
 
Ami sensed something strange about them, but she didn't know what it was.
 
“Who are you people?” she heard Sadako ask. The other girls stopped talking when they heard her.
 
“Who are you?” the second girl asked.
 
“Sadako. Now answer my question.”
 
“Maeko,” the girl replied. “And my sister, Ichigo.” There was a pause. “Is there someone else here, too?”
 
“Ami,” Ami heard another voice say, before she could answer. “Ami, Sadako, Maeko, and Ichigo. Welcome to your test.”
 
“Keisuke?” Ami asked.
 
“Yes,” he replied. “I will remove your blindfolds and you will see each other for the first time. But if you do anything to harm one of the others, your test will be over and you will fail. Got it?”
 
“Yes,” the four girls chorused. Why would we hurt each other? Ami wondered as the blindfold fell off of her face. Suddenly she realized why.
 
“Demons!” Sadako hissed, lunging forward. Ami instinctively grabbed her friend's arm to hold her back. Apparently the purple-haired demon was doing the same to her sister, who had reacted in the same manner as Sadako.
 
“What the hell are angels doing here?” Maeko spat.
 
“'What the hell,' indeed,” Sadako muttered, calming down a bit. Ami cautiously released her grip on Sadako's arm.
 
“Your test is to find something of great importance to me. No, you were not sent here by the Angel or Demon Councils. You were sent here by me, and I was sent by the gods. So you will listen and obey everything I tell you.”
 
Maeko and Sadako cast glares at each other. They all remained silent.
 
“I need to you find a chalice. The Chalice. Do you know what I'm talking about?”
 
“The one hidden when the Creator gave everyone free will?” Ichigo asked. “But why would you need that?”
 
“I don't. The other gods do. If you can work together to find it, you'll be able to use it instead.”
 
“I don't understand,” Maeko said. “Why do we need to work together with some stupid angels to find the chalice, if you're not going to use it if we do?”
 
“Who are you calling stupid?” Sadako said. “You demons are the stupid ones. We're favored by the gods!”
 
“Only because you've always blindly followed whatever they say. We demons have minds of our own. We're independent.”
 
“Yeah, okay. You're just too stupid to realize that the gods favor loyalty and will reward it with all kinds of gifts. That's why angels are so much better.”
 
“You're not better!” Maeko shouted. “Who won the most recent war? Oh, right, that was us. The demons!”
 
“And who won the war before that, huh? The angels did. Because we're better and smarter than you stupid demons. The last war wasn't even a real war anyway. Our leaders got bored and surrendered because they had more important things to do!”
 
By this point, Keisuke had had enough. The girls had caused him a massive headache already, and he wasn't sure that he wanted another war to break out because of him. After all, that's what he was there to prevent. “That's enough!” The two girls stopped fighting and turned to look at him. “Both of you, shut up. This is exactly why the gods want the Chalice.”
 
“He's got a point,” Ichigo whispered. Maeko rolled her eyes.
 
“Here's a map.” He handed it to Ami, who had been watching him carefully since her friend and Maeko had started fighting. “If you can follow it correctly, you'll find the chalice. Be quick about it, because the gods need the chalice within thirty days. Otherwise, they may have to do something regrettable.”
 
“Regrettable?” Ami asked. “Like what, exactly?” She suddenly had a sinking feeling in her stomach.
 
“I'm not going into details, but it is in your best interests to work together and find it soon. Otherwise, you may not have a home to go back to.”
 
The girls stared at him in shock. “Wait…what?” Sadako asked quietly. “You mean Heaven will be gone?”
 
“I don't know,” Keisuke said. “I'm not the one in charge. I'm only a rank five god. There are others who have more authority than me.”
 
“We have no choice, then, I guess,” Maeko said reluctantly. “Give me that,” she ordered, grabbing the map from Ami's hands, nearly ripping it in half.
 
“Watch it!” Sadako cried.
 
“Relax. It's fine,” Maeko said, waving her hand absently. She studied the map. “Um…how, exactly, do we cross this ocean?” She looked up to ask this question to Keisuke, but he had vanished.
 
“He's been gone for a while,” Ami said. “Since you took the map from me.” She glanced at Sadako. “Stupid demons,” she muttered under her breath. Sadako nodded in agreement.
 
“Okay, well, first, we need to figure out where we are. Is this Heaven or Hell?”
 
“It doesn't look like Heaven,” Sadako said. For the first time the girls noticed their surroundings. They were standing among a cluster of trees in a forest that stretched as far as they could see. They could barely make out the blue sky above them. “We don't have any forests anymore,” she explained. “We have some trees, but we don't really need them for anything, so we don't have any places with this many. We have artificial oxygen.”
 
“It's not Hell, either,” Maeko said. “The sky is blue here. It's usually a reddish color in Hell. Occasionally, it's mahogany colored, but never blue.”
 
“We're on Earth,” Ichigo said. The others looked at her. “Haven't any of you seen the pictures of Earth in books or anything?”
 
“We haven't really studied Earth since the sixth grade,” Ami admitted. “Most angels never go there, so we don't really need to study it.”
 
“You know I don't study,” Maeko said.
 
“Well, I just remember that the sky is blue on Earth and it has many trees and animals. It also has oceans like the one on the map.”
 
“Yeah, I guess you're right,” Ami said. “Heaven only has one ocean, and it doesn't look like this one. And from what I know of Hell, it doesn't have any oceans at all, really.”
 
“Just a bunch of lakes and rivers,” Ichigo agreed.
 
“Okay, well, if this is Earth, how are we supposed to get anywhere? Do we seriously have to walk everywhere?” Sadako asked.
 
“Probably,” Ami said.
 
“Let's go, then.” Maeko started walking in a seemingly random direction.
 
“Wait!” Sadako ran to catch up to her. “How do you know you're going the right way?”
 
Maeko sighed, rolling her eyes as if she couldn't believe Sadako had asked such a stupid question. “Demons are born with an innate sense of direction. The map said to go east. This is east. Okay?”
 
“Whatever.” Sadako turned to Ami and Ichigo, who were still standing where they had started. “Come on, let's go. The sky is getting darker. It's already dark enough, with all these trees. We need to find shelter somewhere before it gets too late. I don't know what kinds of animals lurk in Earth forests.”
 
The other two hurriedly caught up to Maeko and Sadako. They all walked silently through the forest, following Maeko's lead. Occasionally they'd hear a strange sound and jump, or scream, or grab onto whoever was walking next to them, whether that person was an angel or a demon. Sadako latched onto Maeko's arm at one point and was quickly shoved aside.
 
“I think I see the end of the forest,” Maeko said after about an hour. The others breathed a sigh of relief.
 
“Thank the gods,” Ami said. “This forest is really freaking me out.”
 
As she said that, a strange figure jumped in front of Maeko. The girls screamed and Maeko punched it in the face.
 
“Ow!” the creature whined. “That was mean.” Maeko had attacked a girl who appeared to be about their age. She was rubbing her nose where Maeko had punched her.
 
“Don't jump in front of people like that!” Sadako said, glaring at the girl. “What the hell did you think you were doing?”
 
“I didn't mean to…I just messed up my spell or something,” the girl said. “I do that a lot. I saw you guys walking in the forest and I thought you might be lost or something. So I teleported myself here, but I didn't mean to appear in front of you like that. I guess I got distracted while I was teleporting or something.”
 
“We don't need help,” Maeko said.
 
“Thanks, though.” Ichigo smiled at the girl. “What's your name?”
 
“What are you?” Ami said.
 
“My name is Miya! I'm a witch!” The girl grinned despite the pain she felt from being punched. “I live here in this forest.”
 
“You don't seem to be a very good witch,” Sadako pointed out. Miya's face fell.
 
“Yeah, that's true…I'm practicing, but I'm not very good. I just wish…” She looked away as tears welled up in her eyes.
 
“What's wrong?” Ami asked. Ichigo wrapped her arms around the girl in a sympathetic hug.
 
“There's this man…he…” Miya choked back sobs. “He's dying and it's all my fault. I cast a spell to make him fall in love with me, but I screwed it up, and now he's sick. I think I know how to cure him, but…I don't have the key ingredient.”
 
“What ingredient?” Sadako asked.
 
“Can we just go?” Maeko said. “It's getting dark and we need to find someplace to stay for the night.”
 
Miya looked at her. “Oh, you won't find anything nearby. It's about a day's walk to the nearest town.”
 
“Shit!” Maeko looked up, cursing the sky.
 
“I guess we're stuck,” Ichigo said gloomily.
 
“No, don't worry about it!” Miya smiled despite her tears. “You can stay in my house tonight. Well, I mean…if you'll do me a favor…”