Original Stories Fan Fiction / Angels Fan Fiction ❯ Angel and Demon Wars ❯ Chapter Four - Meebs ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's note: Okay, so I wrote something, and about three seconds later laughed at myself for it, because it's kind of ironic. But I left it in. I don't know how many people will notice it.
 
 
Angel and Demon Wars
Chapter Four
© 2007 Ohne Sie
 
 
 
Maeko and Ichigo were the first to wake up in the morning. Because they had no real desire to explore Miya's house and there was nothing else to do, the two demons decided to stay in the room and discuss the previous day's events.
 
“Do you really think that Miya is telling the truth?” Maeko asked. She opened the oak dresser sitting against the far wall and proceeded to casually look through it. “I mean, I could barely sleep last night because I thought she might try to kill us in our sleep or something.”
 
“What would she lie about?” Ichigo shrugged. “Ami said the statue was alive, and Miya seemed pretty upset, so I think she's telling the truth. And we did see how bad Miya was at making spells work.”
 
“True.” Maeko paused, picking up a strange garment. “Look at this,” she said, holding it out in front of her. It was a long black dress with what looked like flames designed on the bottom. “Think it'd fit me?”
 
Ichigo shook her head. “You shouldn't be snooping around in Miya's things. She might get upset.”
 
“What is she going to do? You've seen how well her spells work. Although…I suppose she might screw up and make it worse than she intended…” Maeko frowned. “Okay, I'll put it back, I guess. I don't generally wear dresses, anyway. They're really impractical.” She put the dress away and sighed. “Still, though, do we really have to wear these clothes until we find that chalice thing?”
 
“I guess,” Ichigo said. “We have no money, so we can't buy anything new. All we have are our school uniforms.”
 
“Yeah.” Maeko wrinkled her nose. “We're all going to smell really bad in a few days.” She laughed. “Oh well. The problem is food. We haven't had any since yesterday morning and I'm really getting hungry. I guess we can raid Miya's kitchen or something.”
 
“Or we could ask first,” Ichigo said. “You know, it would be the polite thing to do.”
 
“Yeah, but I don't like her. You don't have to be polite to people you don't like.” She walked over to the door. “Hey, I hear voices. I guess someone else is awake.” She opened the door and almost hit Sadako with it.
 
“Hey, watch it!” Sadako had just barely avoided the door. “You don't have to swing it so hard, you know.”
 
“It was an accident.” Maeko shrugged. She looked around. “Hey, where's your friend?”
 
“Ami? She's right here—“ Sadako turned to her left and frowned. “Okay, never mind. Ami!” she called.
 
“I'm in the kitchen,” came the reply.
 
“She's in the kitchen,” Sadako said.
 
“No way.” Maeko rolled her eyes. “Come on, sis.” She grabbed Ichigo's arm and led her into the kitchen. Sadako followed.
 
Miya and Ami were already in there. Miya was stirring a pot on the stove. As the others entered, Ami raised an eyebrow. She quickly walked over to them. “Okay,” she whispered, “She's been putting weird-looking stuff into that pot. I'm kind of afraid to eat it.”
 
“Do you think she poisoned it?” Sadako asked, peering over at the witch.
 
“If she tried, I'm sure she failed,” Maeko said. “Hey, Miya,” she said, “What are you cooking?”
 
“Breakfast. It's a surprise. It's perfectly healthy, though, I promise. I call it Miya's Exciting Enchanted Breakfast Surprise. Or…you know…Meebs.”
 
“Meebs?” Ichigo asked.
 
“Yeah, for short.” Miya turned the oven off and poured the contents of the pot into five bowls. “Here, I'll take the first bite, so you guys don't have to worry.” She carried the bowls to the table one by one, and then sat down and took a bite of hers. “Go ahead. Sit.”
 
The girls sat down, each carefully picking up a spoon and taking a bite of the food before them.
 
“It's…not bad,” Maeko admitted.
 
“It tastes like spaghetti!” Sadako said.
 
“Really? It tastes kind of like strawberries, to me,” Ichigo said.
 
“No, it's like…cookies,” Ami said slowly. “Sugar cookies.”
 
“It should taste like your favorite food,” Miya said. “It's my secret recipe.”
 
“I'm amazed you didn't screw it up,” Maeko said.
 
“Maeko!” Ichigo said, appalled. “That's not nice!”
 
“Yeah, but she's right,” Sadako said. “Miya, why did you make this successfully but screw up your other spells?”
 
Miya looked puzzled. “Um, actually, this isn't a potion or anything. It's just food. There's nothing magic about it. I just like to cook and I'm naturally good at it.” She gathered the dishes as the girls finished their meals. “Oh,” she said, as she piled the dishes in the sink, “I figured you might need some new clothes, since I doubt you have money on you…so I stocked the dressers in the rooms upstairs with clothes I thought you might like. I also have some satchels stashed away in the closets, so you can take the clothes with you. And inside them is some money you can use.”
 
“We can't take all of that,” Ami said.
 
“Yeah, you can, because you guys said you'd help me, right? So I want to help you. Take them. If you find a unicorn's horn, though…bring it to me, okay?”
 
The girls nodded. “Okay,” Maeko said. “I guess you deserve that much.”
 
Miya smiled. “Thanks. I guess you'll be leaving soon, right? Feel free to take whatever you need. I can't imagine you can carry too much right now, but you can take anything from here that you want.”
 
The girls thanked her and hurriedly went to the rooms to shove as much as they could into the knapsacks Miya had left them. They met up outside the rooms, each wearing something that had been found in the dressers, instead of their uniforms.
 
“I'm going to go get some food, too,” Maeko said. “Something that won't go bad easily. We'll probably need it if we'll be without a place to stay for a while.”
 
“I'm taking my money out of my bag,” Ami said. “I just don't want us to be broke again if someone steals our bags or something.” She carefully tucked the money away in her shoe. The others did the same with their money.
 
“Maeko, do you want to let me shove your clothes in my bag, so you can fill yours with food from the kitchen?” Ichigo asked.
 
“Yeah, sounds good.” Maeko's voice rang out from the kitchen, where she was grabbing every nonperishable food item in sight.
 
“And I…I dunno.” Sadako shrugged. “You guys came up with all of the good ideas already, I guess.” Ami laughed.
 
“Are we ready to go?” she asked, as Maeko shoved the last of the food into her satchel.
 
Maeko nodded. “Okay, guys, follow me. Miya said we'll find that town after about a day's walk, so let's get going.”