Original Stories Fan Fiction / Angels Fan Fiction ❯ Angel and Demon Wars ❯ Chapter Five - GRAAAARRR!!!! ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Okay, two new characters. Yeah. And a troll, woo. The troll is kind of homage to the troll in that one story. Yeah you know which one I mean. Okay, probably not. Katy and Nancy do, though. Unless they don't. But they should.
 
 
Angel and Demon Wars
Chapter Five
© 2007 Ohne Sie
 
 
Despite Miya's prediction, it took only half a day to reach the nearest town. Still, walking that far the previous night would have proved both exhausting and terrifying, because none of the girls were used to the sound the forests made at night. Earth was terrifying enough, anyway. They didn't want to try to navigate it in the dark.
 
When the group finally reached the town, the first thing they saw was a church. It was obviously the main feature of the town; it was twice as large as the other buildings, including the inn, and it was located in the exact center of town, with a dirt road circling around it.
 
The second thing they noticed was a man lying in the middle of the road. They got closer and Sadako found a stick, which she then used to poke the man. He grunted, and the girls knew he was alive.
 
“What do you want?” the man asked groggily, rubbing his eyes. He looked at the girls tiredly.
 
“You're in the middle of the road,” Ichigo said. “Isn't that dangerous?”
 
He shrugged. “Not really. No one drives here.” He sat up. “Who are you, anyway?”
 
“Ami, Maeko, Ichigo, and Sadako,” Sadako said, pointing to each girl in turn. “And you are?”
 
“Ryu.” He frowned, glancing around. “Ah…um…have you seen a stick lying around somewhere? Like…a staff, rather?”
 
“Uh…no,” Maeko said, not bothering to look. “Why? Did you lose it?”
 
“I swear I left it right here…” Ryu frowned. Then he looked at Sadako. “Hey, wait. What did you poke me with?”
 
“This?” Sadako asked, holding out the stick she'd used. It looked like a normal stick, but it had obviously been whittled down.
 
“That's my staff!” Ryu pulled it out of Sadako's grasp.
 
“You could have just asked me for it,” she said.
 
“Sorry, but I get kind of freaked out when I lose it.” He waved it around in the air. “I'm powerless without it.”
 
“Powerless? As in, with it, you're power…ful?” Ichigo asked.
 
“Er, sorta. I'm a sorcerer,” he said. “In order to use my powers, I need this. Or another one like it, but do you know how long it takes to whittle a stick so that it's just right?” The girls shook their heads. “Yeah. It's a long time.”
 
"Sorcerer?" Sadako asked. "Is that anything like a witch?"

The look on Ryu's face was that of disgust. "No. Sorcerers and sorceresses are much better than witches. Why do you ask? Did you run into a witch in the forest?"

"Yeah, her name is Miya. I can see why you wouldn't want to be associated with witches if she is any indication," Maeko said.

"Miya. I grew up with her. She's a joke." Ryu rolled his eyes. "What did she do this time? Last time I saw her, she accidentally glued her mouth shut. It was actually really funny."

"Um...well...she kind of turned some guy into a statue," Ami said.
 
"Oh, wow." Ryu's eyes widened. "Wow, that...uh...that will be hard to fix."
 
“Yeah,” Ami said. “She wants a unicorn's horn.”
 
Ryu winced. “That will make it even harder. How long does she have before the guy is permanently a statue?”
 
“I don't know,” Ami said. “He's still alive, but he's really scared.”
 
Ryu frowned. “Wait, how do you know that?”
 
“Don't ask.” Maeko shook her head. “Anyway, yeah, it seems like the guy doesn't have long. Any suggestions on getting a unicorn's horn?”
 
Ryu looked up as if he were trying to remember something. “Yeah…I know where you can find unicorns, but…” He sighed. “Killing one is bad luck, so I don't suggest it. And it's just really not nice, you know?”
 
“Where can we find them?” Sadako asked.
 
“If you go east from here, it's about…um…ten miles. There's another forest you can go through, and there should be a clearing with a stream. If you wait there, the unicorns usually drink from the stream at around noon every day. Oh…but in order to get there you'll probably have to cross a bridge with a troll on it. You have to pay him a toll or solve a riddle for him in order to cross. He is a troll, though, so it shouldn't be hard to outsmart him. I've done it lots of times.”
 
“You go to that forest a lot?” Maeko asked.
 
“Yeah, sorta. To watch the unicorns…” He trailed off. “Um, well, if that's all you need from me, I'm going to go home and take a nap.” He ran off into one of the houses.
 
“That was weird,” Sadako said.
 
“Yeah…everyone we're meeting is really strange.” Maeko walked toward the inn. “Maybe we can reserve a room for tonight. Ryu said that the unicorns meet at the stream at noon, so we can try to find them tomorrow. Or, you know, we can search the forest today…”
 
“That sounds good,” Ami said. “We should probably get it done as quickly as possible.”
 
“Okay. Let's just get a room and then we'll head out to find a unicorn.” The group walked into the inn. Moments later, they had their room key. Unfortunately for them, only one room was available, so they all had to share one room.
 
“East, right?” Sadako asked. Ichigo nodded.
 
Maeko, once again, led the girls to the forest. After about seven miles, they saw the bridge Ryu had mentioned. Under the bridge was a roaring river. They were pretty sure they couldn't swim across.
 
“How about flying?” Ami suggested. She spread her wings and tried to fly, but for some reason, she couldn't.
 
“Maybe there's something about Earth's gravity that prevents us from flying,” Sadako pondered.
 
“Maybe Keisuke did it,” Maeko said. “Well, I guess flying is out. We'll have to take our chances on the troll.”
 
They marched across the bridge, making it halfway before a troll jumped out at them. “GRAARRR!” he shouted. The girls were unfazed. “Anyway,” he said, “I need four hundred coins in order for you to cross the bridge.”
 
“Whatever,” Maeko said, tossing a pouch full of coins at him.
 
“GRAAAARR!” he shouted again. “Four hundred each.
 
“Uh, no. Forget that,” Sadako said. “We need this money.”
 
“Then you will not pass!”
 
Maeko was getting infuriated; so much so, that when she clenched her fists she unwittingly punched the troll in the stomach.
 
“GRAAAAARRRR!!!!” the troll roared. The girls, sensing they were in serious danger, ran the rest of the way across the bridge. They continued running into the forest. Ichigo glanced behind her.
 
“Uh, guys? He's following us,” she said.
 
“We're screwed,” Sadako said. “He's going to eat us!”
 
As she said that, a silvery-white unicorn with light violet eyes stepped out of the forest. The girls stopped, staring at it in awe. Then it released a low whinny. Three other unicorns appeared behind her, and five more appeared across from her. The first unicorn trotted over to Ami, kneeling on the ground. The three behind her did the same with the other girls.
 
“You want us…to ride you?” Ami asked. The unicorn seemed to nod. The girls climbed onto the unicorns' backs and were quickly carried away, while the remaining five unicorns formed a blockade against the troll.
 
“Will they be okay?” Ichigo wondered aloud. “Do unicorns have any special fighting abilities or anything?”
 
“I don't think so,” Maeko said.
 
The unicorns stopped at a clearing. Ami assumed it was the one Ryu had mentioned. As she slid off of the unicorn's back, and her friends (by this point, she felt she could call them that) did the same, she turned to thank the unicorn for saving her. But the unicorn had disappeared, and it its place was a girl with silvery-white hair and light violet eyes.
 
“What. The. Hell?” Ami heard Maeko ask. She had to admit, that was her thought as well.