Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Revenge of the Descent ❯ Four - Planning ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Is Uncle Ilias—” started Kyros, stopping abruptly in the hallway leading to Captain Skyler's office. He turned around to face the group, asking, “Does that Captain jerk—”
 
“Captain Skyler,” corrected Florian, grinning when Kyros rolled his eyes.
 
“Yes, does Captain Skyler have feelings for my Uncle Ilias?” he asked. The group giggled a bit, and he took that as a yes. He smirked. “No wonder he doesn't like me,” he murmured. “Too bad I don't swing that way, or else I would have fun messing with his head.”
 
Eryk snorted, wrapping an arm around Candis. Candis shifted uncomfortably, wishing for once that she wasn't the center of attention. Kyros simply shrugged it off, though you could clearly feel the increase in anxiety.
 
Kai sighed, wondering where Guren was. Gah, stop doing that! she told herself, forcing all of her thoughts out of her head. She shook her head, causing Florian to glance worriedly at her. She smiled slightly at him and shook her head, indicating that she was fine. Florian trusted her judgement, but still looked concerned as they approached the Captain's office.
 
 
Kai groaned in annoyance as she followed Candis out of the Captain's office. “We were supposed to have a week off,” she complained. “And now we have two days to prepare for the trip to the Demon Caves, and then we're off again.”
 
Candis sighed, nodding in agreement. “Yeah, some vacation. And we just recently got back from fighting those damn orcs,” she added. “It's been three years and her damn minions are still running around.”

Kai shook her head and yawned. “I think I'm just gonna take a nap in one of the spare rooms here,” she said, stopping in the middle of the hallway. “Now I just need to find them…”
 
A low chuckle from the room next to them caught the girls' attention. “Why don't you ask for a map?” he inquired, smirking as he stepped out of the room and closed the door. “The spare rooms are on the fifth floor, and only two of them are occupied right now.”
 
Kai sighed at Guren's sarcasm, blinking a few times before he finally sighed in exasperation. “Fine, I'll lead you so you don't get lost.”
 
Candis winked encouragingly at Kai, receiving a cold glare in return before she scurried off to find Eryk and the others.
 
Kai let out her breath, though she was still very nervous. I've never been alone with Guren before, have I? she asked herself, blushing wildly. Mentally shaking her head, she thought, Of course I have. The day when we all woke up, and at the pond near Florian's, and the other night at my house. She blushed, forcing those thoughts out of her mind and suddenly recalling Guren's power to read emotions.
 
Guren shoved his hands in his pockets and turned his head. Kai's emotions were still the strongest out of the group. Damn it, why is she so flustered? he wondered. He glanced briefly at her, seeing how red her face was becoming. There she goes thinking again. He rolled his eyes and gave Kai a light punch on her shoulder. “Mind toning it down?” he asked irately.
 
Kai flushed once more and looked down at the tiled floor. “Sorry,” she mumbled, feeling slightly stupid that she'd forgotten his powers. Guren ran a hand through his hair and sighed.
 
Other than being more anti-social than usual, not much had changed about Guren. His hair was only an inch longer and his eyes were still as mysterious and cold as they were when they first met. His height remained the same, though Kai was still at least a head shorter than him.
 
Guren smirked, catching her staring at him. She squeaked and turned to look in the other direction as they made their way up the stairs. Unfortunately she didn't see the first step and tripped over it, with Guren reaching over to catch her just in time. He sighed frustratedly. “Watch where you're going,” he said coldly.
 
Kai's cheeks turned as red as they could as she steadied herself, sticking her tongue out at him afterwards. Her shoulders relaxed a little as she followed Guren up the stairs. Well, at least the anxiety is somewhat gone, she thought, feeling slightly more optimistic than previously.
 
 
Candis shifted uneasily on the soft green grass of Florian's backyard. The group had gone back to Florian's after Captain Skyler told them where they were going and what they needed to do. Kyros had stubbornly sat next to Candis after Eryk took the seat next to her, beating Kai's attempt to try and save the girl. She gave Candis a very apologetic look.
 
Dammit, she thought. What does it take to get this guy away from me? She sighed and looked down at the grass, still seemingly intrigued by it.
 
Ilias had stayed behind with Captain Skyler, so he put Florian in charge of keeping the peace. Florian groaned in annoyance; he hated being the peacemaker. But having no way out of it, he resentfully accepted the task at hand. “Since we're leaving in two days, we have to pack whatever supplies we'll need,” he stated awkwardly. “Mainly food and medicine in case any of us end up injured. We should probably take some ingredients for certain spells too, just in case Eryk and I need them.”
 
Kyros shot him a glare. “I am also a sorcerer,” he said indignantly. Florian rolled his eyes and sighed aloud.
 
“Alright, in case Eryk, Kyros, and I need them for more powerful spells. Anyway, we should have plenty of food; I would say we should pack two or three at most bags, each half filled with food and the other half medicine.”
 
Kyros snorted and muttered darkly, “Like we didn't already know that.” Florian glared daggers at him.
 
“I don't give a damn if you're the Prince of the Fire Kingdom, or the King of the Ministry, we have every right to take you off of this mission if you annoy us. I suggest you learn to keep your mouth shut.” Kyros's eyes narrowed but he complied, his mouth set in a tight line.
 
Florian sighed in frustration. Why did Ilias think I was best suited for this? he asked himself. Shaking his head, he continued, “We can pack tomorrow, and tonight we should get some rest.” He shot a look at Guren and Kai. “That means no midnight walks. Guren, I've prepared a special room for you as to…” He hesitated.
 
Guren waved his hand carelessly. “He already knows,” he said. Kyros glanced over at him and realized he was talking about his empathy powers.
 
“Ah, yes,” he murmured. “How are you doing with that, Guren?” The corner of his lip quirked up. “Ilias has told me you've become even more cold over the years.”
 
Guren snarled, “If you wish to stay alive, you'll keep your mouth shut. And as Florian said, we can kick you out at any time. Though I'd much prefer leaving you in the Demon Caves for the creatures to tear you apart and eat your insides.”
 
Kai winced at the image he created, wondering if that was a little harsh. He does seem much colder than he was when we first met, she thought fearfully. Maybe it's because he's known this Kyros guy longer than we have.
 
Kyros rolled his eyes, though he shut up. He's like a bratty kid, thought Candis, holding in her laughter. Always causing trouble but never goes far enough to get hurt.
 
Eryk cleared his throat, apparently trying to get rid of the apprehension in the air. When everyone looked at him, he grunted. “Let's just get some rest,” he said coolly. “It's nearly sunset.”
 
Kai looked up into the sky and noticed that it was getting darker by the minute. The sun sank sluggishly behind the trees, letting the dark night sky take over. She sighed, looking wistfully up into the heavens. “It's beautiful,” she murmured aloud.
 
“Yes,” agreed Florian, smiling a little. “But something tells me we should hurry inside before it gets too dark.” He threw a worried look at Eryk. “We need to strengthen the barriers around the house.”
 
Eryk nodded bleakly, standing up and lending a hand to Candis. She took it gratefully, pulling herself up to hug him. “Don't use up too much power,” she said, grinning. He smirked, leaning down to kiss her softly.
 
“Don't worry, I won't,” he replied with a wink. “I've got to save some of it for later.” Candis blushed and whacked him over the head, muttering, “Stupid pervert.”
 
Kyros clenched his fists, but decided to keep his anger inside. Today was a long day and he wasn't in the mood for anything other than sleep. Heaving a sigh, he shoved his hands in his pockets and walked into the large mansion.
 
Chi frowned and tugged Kai's sleeve. She looked down, asking, “What is it, Chi?”
 
Chi waited until most of the group was ahead of them before she said, “Why is everyone so mean to Lord Kyros?”
 
Kai laughed quietly. “I guess they all think he's an ass, or something,” she answered. “But I think they're being a little unfair.” She frowned. “I mean, he is helping us with this mission.”
 
Chi nodded. “That's what I think too. That and he's pretty cute,” she added, blushing lightly. Kai smirked and ruffled her hair.
 
“What about that Floyd boy?” she asked sneakily. “Isn't he going to see you off?”
 
Chi blushed and turned away. “I don't think so,” she said hesitantly. “He only thinks of me as a friend, even though I know it's obvious how much I like him.” She sighed wistfully.
 
Kai frowned. She didn't like the thought of Chi being taken advantage of or hurt. She was like a little sister to the others as well as to Kai, and she didn't want a stupid boy to make her cry. Shaking her head, she ruffled Chi's hair again. “Don't waste your time on him if he's a jerk like that,” she said, grinning. “Who knows, Lord Kyros might like younger girls.” She winked.
 
Chi laughed, then turned to walk into the kitchen. Kai chuckled to herself and slowed a little, looking up into the bright stars. I wish…
 
“You're too nice,” Guren stated straightforwardly, walking up to stand next to her. Startled, Kai turned quickly only to run straight into him. “And you don't pay enough attention.”
 
Kai pouted, blushing as she replied, “Thanks for interrupting my wish.” Guren raised a brow, obviously confused. Kai rolled her eyes. “Haven't you ever wished on a star?” she asked.
 
Guren smiled ruefully. “Many times, and none of those wishes ever came true,” he answered. Kai frowned and he shook his head. “Don't worry so much about me. Anyway, you shouldn't let your guard down around Kyros. I know you and Chi think we're being harsh, but he's betrayed people in the past. Thank Ilias for that piece of information.”
 
Kai nodded slowly, her brows drawing together. Why is he telling me all this about Kyros? He shouldn't care whether I like him or not… He's never told me much information about Skyler, so does that mean…? Unexpectedly, she asked, “Are you jealous?”
 
Guren stopped abruptly, taken aback at the question. His eyes wide and mouth gaping, he stared dubiously at Kai. “Wh-what?” he stammered. Kai giggled.
 
“You are, aren't you?” Her giggle turned into a loud laugh, echoing off of the walls of the hallway. “Wow! Of all people, you're jealous of him?”
 
Candis came out of the living room after hearing the loud uproar and stared at them. “Are you two alright?” she asked, noticing the light blush on Guren's cheeks from either anger or embarrassment and Kai bent over, holding onto the wall for support.
 
Kai straightened up, forcing herself to stop laughing. “Yeah, everything's fine,” she lied, shooing Candis away with a stare. He's jealous of Kyros! she told her through her thoughts.
 
Candis's eyes widened as she turned away, walking back into the living room. Are you serious?! she replied.
 
Kai nodded mentally, though it also came out physically. Folding his arms and looking at her weirdly, Guren asked, “Why are you nodding?” Kai squeaked in surprise, forgetting for a moment that Guren was there.
 
“Oh, no reason, just nodding to myself,” she said hurriedly, managing a small but nervous smile. Guren rolled his eyes and then walked up the stairs. “Wait! You didn't answer my question!” she called, pouting. Guren stopped and looked back with an incomprehensible expression.
 
He stood there for a moment, hesitating. Finally, he said, “Of course not,” and huffed up the stairs. Moping, Kai sighed and made her way into the kitchen to join most of the others.