Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Revenge of the Descent ❯ Eight - Cassiel Elias ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ilias walked out of the hospital wing and towards the upstairs room that the others were waiting in. After Guren had passed out, he hurriedly took him to the hospital wing and was followed by the entire group.
 
“Well, he's alright,” he said, the bags under his eyes darker and more noticeable than usual. “The doctor said that the curse Midea put on him is a strong one, and each time he fights back, it causes a reaction between the curse's conscience and Guren's own. That's why he fainted.”
 
Florian shook his head as he ran his hands through his messy black hair. “Kai won't like that,” he said. “That means the curse is still in effect, right?” Ilias nodded solemnly. “We'll have to find some way to reverse it.”
 
The distressed elf shook his head again, saying, “We can't do that. It's a spell where the person it was cast on has to figure it out on his own. The doctor said he should be back to normal for a while, but if he doesn't break it on his own soon, the curse will completely take over his body and mind.”
 
A door slammed as Guren stumbled into the room, holding onto the wall with both hands to steady himself. Ilias jumped up and ran to help him stand, asking, “Guren! What the hell do you think you're doing?” Guren chuckled quietly and shook his head.
 
“There's something I have to do,” he said. “Where's Kai?”
 
 
The water elementalist sighed in frustration as she leaned against the railing of the balcony. The hospital wing was two floors below, and she had contemplated going to visit Guren, but something made her come here instead. It wasn't that she didn't want to see him; more like she didn't want to burden him.
 
She groaned again, crossing her arms and leaning her head on them. This sucks, she thought bitterly. If only I had prevented her from completing that curse that night. Man, I'm such an idiot!
 
“You shouldn't feel so guilty,” said a tired voice. Kai glanced behind her to see Guren struggling with Ilias. “Ilias,” he added. The elf frowned, looking worried as Guren shooed him away. “Anyway.”
 
Kai blinked a few times before asking, “What are you doing out of bed?! Are you crazy?” Guren chuckled, holding onto the railing for support. Kai moved closer to place a hand on his shoulder in case he needed any help.
 
“It feels like the wind was knocked out of me,” he murmured, staring into the darkening horizon. It would soon be dusk, and the wind picked up a little as it blew through the two figures' hair. “I can't believe I let that little brat get away with such a strong curse.”
 
Kai nodded tiredly. “I could have prevented that,” she muttered quietly. Guren shook his head and lightly hit her on the head. “Hey!”
 
“Don't wallow in your own guilt like that. If anything, I should apologize.” She looked at him with a confused expression, not understanding what he meant. He frowned a little. “For snapping at you the other night.”
 
Kai raised a brow. “What? You don't need to apologize for that,” she replied firmly. “It was because the curse took over your conscience in that moment.”
 
Guren shook his head. “Yes, but I shouldn't have allowed her to place it on me in the first place. I probably wouldn't have been able to stop it anyway, because all the while we were there, her emotions were either mixed up or nonexistent.” He sighed, rubbing his forehead. “They said I'll be normal for a while, but the spell will come back if that girl is stronger than we think.”
 
Kai frowned at the thought, thinking of possible solutions to ease the curse's affects. Finally, she turned to him and said sternly, “You should rest now.” He nodded, letting her help him walk across the balcony and down the halls to the hospital wing.
 
 
A lieutenant was standing by the door talking with a guard when an explosion from inside the hospital wing went off, causing both him and the guard to fly backwards into the wall. They quickly made their way into the hospital wing to see the few patients that were there cringing in fear at the figure standing in front of a shattered window.
 
“Hold it right there!” shouted the lieutenant, forming a sword from his spirit energy and running up to the figure. The girl turned slowly, her hand glowing a bright color.
 
“Lieutenant Braden, look out!” shouted the guard, tackling the man before the blast of light was able to hit him. They watched as the ball of power turned the door and most of the wall into dust.
 
The girl's eyes were glowing bright blue and her choppy silver hair blew violently in the wind. Hearing footsteps approach hurriedly, she turned back around and jumped out of the window.
 
The guard and lieutenant ran after her, staring out the window only to see that she had vanished. “What—where did she go?!” exclaimed the guard.
 
“There's a portal,” said Captain Skyler as he ran up beside the two. He stared pessimistically into the closing black portal. “That was the heir of Edric Balin Elias, Cassiel Elias.” He sighed, holding his head in one hand. “This is going to be much tougher than I thought.”
 
 
“What?” exclaimed Florian, slamming his fists down on the table. “Cassiel can't still be alive! You told us that Rika's castle collapsed once the necklace was destroyed.”
 
Skyler shook his head, replying, “Then she must have escaped one way or another. That girl you saw was simply a vessel, used only to gain your trust. You should have recognized it when you saw her hair, it being silver like Cassiel's. She changed only the length and her eye color. It shouldn't have been that hard if you were immediately suspicious of her.”

Florian backed off at the Captain's cold gaze, knowing he was right. “You're right, but… How will we find her?”
 
The Captain shook his head again, sighing as he rested his head against Ilias's shoulder. “We have a general idea of where she may be hiding,” he muttered. “We'll send in spies to scout the area out tomorrow. For now, you should probably return to your home and keep everyone there. I trust you can deal with Kyros?”
 
Kyros glared at the Captain, folding his arms and snorting. “Look who's talking, dear Captain,” he spat. Skyler growled, but Ilias grabbed his arm before he could attack the boy. Kyros smirked.
 
“That brat nephew of yours will get his head chopped off soon enough,” he said bitterly, walking out of the room. Ilias gave Kyros a firm look.
 
“Sorry, Unc,” he apologized, still smirking a bit. “I can't help it.” Ilias sighed and sat down, resting his head in his hands.
 
Eryk rolled his eyes as he said, “Captain Skyler is right, Ilias. You'd better teach this brat his rightful place in this.” He stood up from his chair and grabbed Candis's hand, dragging her just outside the room.
 
Candis looked confused when Eryk closed the door behind him and sighed as he leaned against the wall. “What's wrong?” she asked, bringing her hand up to caress his face.
 
Eryk leaned into her touch, grabbing her hand and bringing it up to his lips. “I'm getting a really, really bad feeling about Kyros,” he said.
 
The fire elementalist frowned. “Again? I know he's a jerk and conceited, but he's as powerful as Skyler. And—”
 
“It's not that,” he interrupted. “He's been eyeing Kai for a while now, and I get the feeling that he's plotting something.”
 
Candis contemplated the idea that Kyros could be interested in Kai, and finally sighed in defeat. “Yeah, I've noticed that too,” she mumbled. “But I doubt Kai would give in so easily,” she added, laughing. “She's still got feelings for Guren anyway.” She grinned, wrapping her arms around Eryk and blushing a little when he kissed her on the forehead.
 
“Yeah, maybe I'm worrying too much,” he muttered, laughing quietly. “I think Florian is rubbing off on me.” Candis laughed, then tilted her head up to look Eryk in the eye.
 
Eryk smiled gently, leaning down to kiss the fire elementalist affectionately, running his hands through her soft white hair.