Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Sword of the King ❯ Prologue

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Prologue
 
David Ferbenan of Claysworth tugged on the girth of his horse Zuce. David's thoughts were at home with his sister Mary and his younger brother Ray. He knew that later that night his sister would be lighting the bomb fire that would burn through out the spring fair.
 
“David,” said Sir. Andrew as he came around the stall door. “You ready?”
 
“Yes, Sir Andrew,” David said as he gathered Zuce's rains “Where dose the king want me?”
 
“The king wants you to ride in the back of the hunting group.” said Sir Andrew as he pulled out a piece of hay out of Zuce's main.
 
David nodded and led Zuce of the stable in to the courtyard of the castle. David made his way to the back of the group of Lords and their servants, as a chores of horns announced the arrival of the King.
 
After everyone was in their place and was mounted, the King spurred his horse out of the main gates.
 
As the hunting party stared to follow the King, Sir. Andrew took a quick glance at David and found him ready to do his job as a rear guard.
 
After about a candle mark outside of the town noticed that Grand Duke Seth Markth of Honsworth was becoming very nervous.
 
After a few more minutes David watched the Grand Duke turn his horse in to the woods and just disappeared.
 
David glanced around a saw that no one else saw the Grand Duke disappear. Not surprisingly, it seemed like no one was missing the Grand Duke.
 
David turned Zuce's head and headed off to follow the path that the Grand Duke took. David followed the path until he lost it at a small creek. David looked al around but found no trace of the Grand Duke.
 
All of a sudden, Zuce bucked and sent David sliding out of the saddle. As David slide out of the saddle, he rolled so he would avoid Zuce's hooves. As he rolled he looked up to see an arrow sticking out of Zuce's back leg.
 
As Zuce ran off David quickly unsheathed his sword and dropped into a battle ready position. He could not see where the archer was hiding and that made him very scared.
 
An arrow came out of a thick clump of trees on his left and drove itself in to David's side. David cried out in pain and fell to his knees. David was grabbing the shaft of the arrow, when he heard the crunching of gravel. David slowly looked up to stare in to the evil eyes of the Grand Duke.
 
David started to shake with fear. He flinched at the sound of the Grand Duke's laugh as he picked up David's forgotten sword. David gasped as the sword sliced right through his gut and stuck out his back.
 
Grand Duke Seth garbed David by the neck and whispered into his ear, “Nice try on trying to warn the King about his soon to come death…Squire David. You now caused you sister and your younger brother to also have their lives cut short, yes I know about the letter you sent your sister. So I hope you all rot in Hell!”
 
David's body fell into the stream, as his blood merged with the water, David drew his last breath. The Grand Duke wiped the blood off the sword and placed it in David's now life less hand. There was a very large smirk on the Grad Duke's face as he headed towards the hunting party.
 
~*~*~
 
Sir Andrew stared at David's lifeless body. He couldn't understand why anyone would have wanted to kill David.
“He was a strong boy,” said the King coming up behind Sir. Andrew. “He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.”
All Sir. Andrew could do was watch Sir. Robert and Sir. Timothy lift David's body out of the stream and slowly make their way out of the stream. As the passed, Sir. Andrew glanced a look at David's face and saw that David's eyes were closed but his mouth was open in a silent scream.
Sir. Andrew looked away as they reached the cart from the village.
“Come on,” said the King as he places a gloved hand on Sir. Andrew's shoulder. “Let's get back to the castle.”