Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ The Elementalists ❯ Nine - Ilias ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

They left immediately, Guren guiding the group through the continuously thickening forest and to the city of Pyre. They had taken only two breaks: lunch and dinner, both of which involved much more talking and planning than there had been the past few days.
 
They had encountered several mystical beasts, one of them being a turtle-duck. They were called “turtle-ducks” because they were small, yellow ducks but had green turtle shells on their backs. When the group stopped for lunch, they had seen an entire family of them swimming down the stream. “They're so cute!” Chi had exclaimed, trying to pet one on the head.
 
By the time they reached Pyre, it was the beginning of sundown. The city was filled with many shops and houses, all side by side. In the middle of the city was the Central Plaza, and around it were homes that could be considered mansions and a few shops, as well as the Inn that they were directed to go to. A little farther from the plaza was a large, government structured building. “The mayor lives there,” Guren clarified, seeing the group glance at the large building. “Though you would not want to squabble with the likes of him,” he added under his breath, his eyes growing as cold as ice in the North Pole.
 
They filed into the Inn, connected to a bar, and were grateful for the warmth that hit their faces the moment they stepped inside the door. A gust of warm air had whooshed past them, feeling much more welcoming and inviting than camping in the cold forest.
 
Guren made his way over to the bartender and asked for Ilias, while the rest of the group sat down at a booth. “It feels so much nicer in here,” Kai said. “I mean I control ice and water, but I really do hate the cold!” Chi and Candis laughed, shaking their heads in amusement.
 
“Fire does not do well with the cold, either,” replied Candis, pushing some strands of hair behind her right ear.
 
“I thought you took those restraints out,” commented Feng. She had not spoken very much since the start of their journey, though she usually was a woman of few words.
 
“Oh, I did,” she answered. “These are normal piercings.” She winked and stuck her thumb up, giggling.
 
“You are one crazy person,” Florian said, chortling quietly at his friends. He was glad they were in a slighly happier mood than before.
 
Guren returned to the table some moments later, along with a man whom they assumed to be Ilias. He had long, black hair that were in braids, all tied up in a ponytail. His eyes were blood red, but they held no menace in them at all. If anything, they looked very friendly. He was to some extent taller than Guren, and wore the same uniform as him: a white, button-down long-sleeved shirt, black pants, and a deep, blue trenchcoat. “A pleasure to finally meet The Four,” he said politely, bowing lowly. “I am Ilias of the land of Grydeth.”
 
They all replied, in unison, “Nice to meet you.”
 
Guren said something in the same foreign language they heard him speak before, but they guessed that he was offering Ilias a seat, because he sat down after replying back in their language.
 
“What language is that?” Florian asked, rather suspiciously. He saw no reason for Guren, or the entire Ministry for that matter, to hide things from them.
 
“It is called Gaean, the language of the dying fathers of this world. Few know of it, but the Ministry teaches it as a requirement,” informed Ilias. “It comes in handy when you don't want the majority of people who don't know it to hear something of importance,” he added quietly.
 
Guren chuckled at his friend, giving him a sly look. Guren offered his own two cents, adding, “Though it can also be used when you are telling secrets.” Ilias laughed heartily.
 
“True enough,” he agreed. “Well, now, down to business.”
 
“So was that secret a murmur of `I'm so glad to see you' back there?” Kai said cunningly. “Or maybe it was more like, `I can't wait until tonight. I've missed you—'”
 
Feng had put her hand over Kai's mouth, and Candis had smacked her in the head. “Oww…” she whined, glaring at the two for interrupting her time to piss Guren off.
 
“Keep your fantasies to yourself, please,” Feng and Candis said. Candis sniggered at her friend who was red with anger, as well as embarrassment.
 
“It was a joke, geez!” she retorted, sulking in her corner of the booth.
 
Ilias was flushed and Guren looked quite annoyed. “We don't… go that way, perse,” Ilias said, waving his hands frantically and shaking his head in an attempt to convince the group otherwise.
 
Guren rolled his eyes. Kai had taken notice that this was the most true emotion he had ever shown on his face, other than simple chuckles or cocky smirks. `Maybe he's just shy around people he doesn't know, or feels as if he should act professional,' she thought. Candis responded in her mind, `Don't tell me you're falling for him!' she exclaimed, attempting to keep her face straight as she tried to listen to the men's conversations. `I mean, you have been watching him very closely since he arrived.'
 
`What?! No way! He seems pretty creepy to me, plus, he's a thief!' she replied defensively. She flushed in the face and, unfortunately, Florian had noticed.
 
“Kai? Is something wrong?” he asked, looking at her with his eyebrow raised. She laughed nervously, scratching at her cheek with her nail.
 
“No, no, nothing. Just feeling a little… too warm, you know?” she replied, sending a glare straight to Candis. But unfortunately for her, Candis was occupied with Ilias, talking about the journey West, or so she assumed. `Now look who's talking,' sneered Kai, smirking mentally. Candis flushed lightly, but replied, `I'm just trying to make friends!'
 
 
The night went by rather quickly. After a few drinks, Eryk was more intoxicated than the bar's previous occupants, and the girls, except for Feng, were feeling rather drowsy. Apparently only Guren and Ilias could handle their share of alcohol.
 
“Anyway,” Ilias said, after briefly laughing at a slurred joke Eryk had shared. “You should all probably go to your rooms now. Here are the keys.” He paused and reached into his pocket, giving out two keys. “I suppose the Ministry feels as though you're equal to the highest man of power, so they've insisted once again on providing suites. There are two king-sized beds, so you will have to share with one other person.” He stretched and slowly stood up, struggling to suppress a yawn. He took his ponytail out, and his braids fell beautifully over his shoulders. “Goodnight.” He bowed, and then turned away to head up to his own room.
 
“Well,” Guren started, also standing up. “You should help that Eryk fellow,” he said to Florian, who smiled and shook his head at his drunken friend. “I'll help these two up.”
 
Unbeknownst to Florian until now, Guren was very strong and easily carried the two girls up the stairs over each shoulder. They were already drifting off, so he carefully set them on their beds before returning to the hall, finding Florian there waiting for him.
 
“What exactly are you?” he asked tentatively. “Other than a thief, I mean.” Guren chuckled and leaned against the wall, staring at the floor before looking Florian straight in the eye. He flinched a little at the dark look.
 
“I have super strength, as you probably could tell just now,” he said, jerking his head towards the girls' suite. “But I am also an empath. I channel people's emotions.” Florian's eyes widened slightly.
 
“An… empath? But according to the scrolls, all of the—”
 
“Yes, all of the ancient empaths are dead. But I acquired it from my father before he passed on in the war. That was years ago,” he said, smiling grimly to himself. “I was a child then, and ever since I had acquired this technique I've wished I hadn't. I tend to stay away from people, if you know what I mean.” He closed his eyes, looking more exhausted than he should.
 
`Maybe he did look that tired before, and we just didn't notice,' thought Florian, feeling a pang of guilt. “Goodnight,” he said, walking into the room that he and Eryk shared.