Original Stories Fan Fiction / Horror Fan Fiction ❯ Reaching out for a Miracle ||A Vampire Story|| ❯ Accusation of Death ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: This is my original work. Please do not steal, copy or anything in that sense whatsoever. These were my original thoughts.
 
 
Reaching Out For A Miracle-Accusation of Death
 
"Dr. Calhan, a patient is coming in. It seems he has suffered a severe head injury from a car accident." One of the nurses approached me with an eager face and I quickly grabbed my stethoscope and put it around my neck and greeted the men that carried the man on the stretcher. They headed towards an empty room that I appointed them to.
 
They quickly lifted him off of the stretcher and placed him on the bed while I told the nurses around me to give me a needle and some IV. They did so and they got to work as I checked his head injury.
 
"How long has he been out?" I questioned as I connected the heart monitor up.
"About 30 minutes ago he passed out, but it took at least an hour to get here." I acted quickly and looked at the monitor while I cleaned his head injury up. It had occurred to me that he was growing paler, while his heartbeat began to fade. "Damnit." I muttered
 
Immediately one of the nurses ran out of the room knowing exactly what to get, she returned rolling the cart that held the defibrillator, over towards me. I grabbed the handles to it and began to rub them together. I placed it upon his chest. But no use came, no heartbeat came, I looked at the monitor one last time, but all that came was that horrid straight line. I sighed, "He's gone." I looked at him sadly, I hated to loose patients, and the guilt had always gained up on me.
 
"Find out who this man is and contact his family members." I slipped off my gloves and through them in the trash as I walked out of the room. I couldn't stand to be in there any longer. I headed towards the lobby and sat in there watching the people talking with their injured family members or friends. Most I have saved, and knowing that I did something to help some of these men, women, and children made me feel much better then I was.
 
The chair beside me pulled out, and one of the nurses came with some coffee in hand and placed it in front of me. "There you are Dr. Calhan." I smiled gently at her "Thanks, I need it. These all-nighters I'm pulling off are going to kill me." I yawned covering my mouth and she seemed to find it funny. I raised my eyebrow and shook my head.
 
"Dr. Calhan I'm sorry, but they wanted to give you some paper work." I groaned as I took the papers from her hand and searched through them. I shook my head breathing in deeply.
"They also wanted me to tell you that you could head home early." She smiled
"Alright, thanks." I got up from my seat and waved goodbye to her as I headed out the sliding doors. I tucked the papers into my white jacket for work and started to head home. Today was like any other day. Always heading home at night and from what I could tell it was going to be a bad night for me as I noticed the moon was being covered by dark cloud. The moons aura was seen behind them every opening it could find as the clouds moved. I dug into my jacket pocket and took out my keys opening the door to my car.
 
As I got inside and settled down I place my work papers to the side of me and buckled myself up. I looked into my review mirror and I screamed as I saw that mans face in the back seat of my car. I closed my eyes tightly on the verge of tears. Time passed, in yet nothing happened. I slowly opened my eyes and turned my body towards the back seat of my car. No one was there and I sighed in relief as I put my face into my hands.
 
What could have gotten me this upset about that man dying? I've seen many of my patients die at my hands, but nothing ever got me so upset. I took a deep breath once again before starting the car up and putting it into gear. I drove out of the parking lot and headed home.
 
On the way there, it began to rain heavy. I slowed down just a tad to make sure nothing happened. I didn't like it raining while I was driving, especially at night. I had stopped at a stoplight as I waited impatiently for it to turn green. "Come on, hurry up!" I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel and a ringing started to come from the pocket of my jacket.
 
I picked it up "Hello?" I spoke casually into the receiver of my phone.
"Hey, Elaine off of work?"
"Hey Scott! Yeah, I'm off of work, why?"
"You aren't driving home are you?"
"Actually I am." I heard him curse under his breath as switched hands to talk to him
"Why couldn't you wait for me?"
"Scott, I'm a big girl I can handle it." I laughed I watched the light deeply irritated by it's minute wait. "Honestly, Elaine..." the light turned green finally and I drove off "Scott, I'll call you when I get home. I really don't like driving and talking while it's raining." "Okay, remember to call me" "Mk, will do. Bye." I hung up the phone and dropped it back into my pocket. I looked straight ahead and the neon lights passed me to different stores and 7'11 corner stores who were opened 24' hours.
 
I closed my eyes only for a moment before snapping them back open. Come on, stay awake Elaine, I thought as I traveled the long rode and I took a left which lead towards the dark part of the town. It was a part near the forest, but it was still civilization. Many people lived near me so I didn't feel so lonely. The best part about it, there was always a sense of peace there; the kids there were awfully sweet there too. I always dreamed of having my own family, but sometimes it always seemed hopeless.
I slowed down to see cops and an ambulance on the side of the road; I parked to the side and went out of my car. Rain poured onto my face, but I went straight towards the scene.
 
"Officer, is there anything I can help you with?" I asked him. He turned towards me and looked at me surprised "Dr. Calhan. I didn't know you lived near here."
"Why does that come as a surprise?" he shook his head in response "But for your question, yes there is something you can help us with. You see those two little children in the ambulance?" I nodded my head "Yes, are they okay?"
"I'm not quite so sure. There had been an accident, it appears that a man had suddenly, came out from inside the forest and jumped in front of the car. Luckily no one was hurt in the car, but I wouldn't be so sure about that young man. You know I would have to say he was around your age. But, beside the point, his injury wasn't quite as bad as most of them would be. He got off with only a minor head injury." I froze "Tell me officer, you didn't happen to send him over to our hospital about an hour or so ago did you?"
 
"Actually we did. Did you get him as one of your patients?" I nodded my head slowly, how awful this was. "Ah, is he okay?" I stayed quiet for the longest time but didn't answer all the same. "So I see. It must have been more then just minor."
"Does he have any family members?" I asked
"We're not quite sure yet. Now that we know what happened to him at the hospital we're going to go head over there and try and identify the body. We didn't find any I.D. with him when he left, so that wasn't much help."
"Alright, I'll go check with the children. But first, what ever happened to their mother?"
"Oh, she's in there with them. But she hit her head a little hard when they stopped and so they're fixing her up right now." I nodded my head and walked over towards them. They didn't look familiar; one was about 16 while the other was about 9. Both females. I looked at their car before I fully approached them; the car had no dents not even one.
 
"Hello there." I said they looked at me not in a gawking way, but more curiously.
"I'm Dr. Calhan, it's nice to meet you."
"Hello," the youngest one answered. The eldest didn't say anything, but rather just stared.
"So, is there anything that hurts?"
"No." the eldest one finally spoke
"I've got an owie on my knee." The youngest pointed to her scrapped knee. I looked at it and smiled, "Well I know just the thing for that." I pulled out a pink band-aid and gently put it on there. "Now doesn't that feel better?" she nodded her head happily. "Thank you Dr. Calhan." She kindly spoke
 
"How is your mother dear?" I looked behind them to see their mother and a man by her side he was much taller then I about 5'11 and he held the woman's hand. He wore casual clothing although there were bloodstains on his white shirt. I expected him to have tried to help the man that they had hit.
"Dr. Calhan, you look too young to be a doctor. How old are you?" the eldest daughter asked suddenly, she didn't look at me but rather the floor.
 
"Oh, when I was in High School, I went out for one of those magnet programs and it's like taking two years of collage and now I'm a doctor at 25, you don't see many of those do you." I smiled and the edge of her lips curled into a smile. I looked back at the man; he must have been the father. He whispered silent things to her. He looked my way then back towards his wife and spoke to her before making his way towards me.
 
"Hello, one of these men had told me you worked at the hospital correct?" I nodded my head "Is he alright?" I looked down at the floor; struggling with the words I forced them out, "He had died about an hour ago." He looked stunned and shocked as he closed his eyes and placed one of his hands over his face.
 
"But please, don't blame yourself. In car accidents people don't make it even as far as the hospital... it wasn't your fault, you had no control over this happening so please don't worry." I assured him. He gave a light smile "But the only part that worried me is when he came running out of the forest horrified." I looked at him as he gathered his family up. I walked back towards my car and quickly got into it as the pouring rain hit my face.
 
I sat in the car watching the water hit my windshield. My mind raced towards the way the man had described how the mans face held fear. What could have scared him that bad? I looked at my phone, I wasn't the best of investigators, but I could sure as heck try and figure this out on my own. I always felt I owed the people that died by my touch; I believed I should give them something back in return.
 
I grabbed my phone and dialed the number of the hospital. One of the nurses voice answered "Hello?"
"Hey, Leila."
"Hey, what's up Elaine?"
"Nothing, can you just tell them I'm not going to be able to get to work tomorrow?"
"Sure, what's your excuse this time."
"I got sick from the rain" I explained
"Alright, well I'll see you later then."
"Thanks, Leila, bye." I shut my phone and dug into my pocket where I placed my keys and pulled them out, and started the car. I placed it in drive and I drove forward. I stared intently out into the rode as I leaned over the steering wheel looking deeply into the rain. I concentrated for the lights of the houses up ahead.
 
Where I lived it was something like a small little town of our own. Grocery stores and corner stores always lit up the dark streets at night. I turned into my house and it was a two story-house. The outside of the house was the greatest part. Most say it's the inside because all of that fancy stuff, but I'm the one who likes the vines growing on the walls fitting every curve of it. The huge tree that stood in the middle of the front yard it always gave me shelter when needed; the garden in the front yard that was on both sides of my door. Then there was the bench that sat under the tree, I always liked to sit under there watching the rain, I know it's bad to sit under a tree while lightning is going on, but nothings happened yet so I figure that it's not going to hurt me until I learn my lesson.
 
I sighed heavily as I grabbed my papers and stuck them into my coat I opened the door and got out. Hurrying up I closed the door of my car, and ran for shelter under the tree. I slowed as I realized something. I looked through one of my windows and saw that the kitchen light was on, I didn't remember leaving that on when I left...
I opened the front door quietly and looked around. I slowly closed the door and moved slowly towards the kitchen. I went in there, and nothing seemed to be moved...it was, plain. I sighed in relief as I went to turn around. Bumping into something startled me, and I started screaming on instinct.
 
 
 
NFTA (Note from the Author): Yes, this is my minds thoughts yada, yada, yada I'm sure you heard it before. Indeed this is a vampire story, and I would like to say this: If you want me to continue this I would like some reviews and any other kind of suggestions or questions you may have. Or if any you can tell me what can I fix and such. Anything whatever. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Thanks for reading.