Original Stories Fan Fiction / Other Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness ❯ Waiting ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Eleven
Waiting
 
 
Burning villages…screams…red liquid spurting through the air…agony…
 
A single form stood against those advancing on them, a broken axe clutched in his hands. His family huddled behind him against the ruined wall that had once been their house. Despair filled his face at the glee of his attackers. He wouldn't stand a chance.
 
A flash of imperial gold. Kaji's men. Norcum led them now. An attack against the citizens. The worst brought out by their new queen.
 
Rage, bright and clear flared.
 
Her people.
 
Hers!!
 
Hers to protect. Hers to look after.
 
But how…how…how?
 
Something broke, stirred, and fled her. Pain flashed through her, then was gone. She watched with grim satisfaction as the supposed Royal Guard screamed and tore at their now flaming uniforms. No use. They would die from the flames that rose from the very dirt itself and licked at their feet.
 
Odd. The flames only consumed those whose intent was to harm her people. She found she didn't care.
 
She looked around. The man stared in shock. Go, she whispered to him and he grabbed his family and fled.
 
Grief weighed on her heart as she took in the destruction. A northern village. The trees burned, the crops pillaged, too many dead. Children…
 
She came awake screaming and doubled over, fisting her fingers in her hair. Tears gathered in her eyes as she screamed and wept, screamed and wept. Her entire body shook. Her breath came in ragged gasps. Strong arms closed around her, pulled her close, protected her from the lingering vision.
 
“Soren, Soren, Soren,” the dragon murmured against her hair. “It's alright. I'm here. You're safe. It was just a nightmare. It's over and done with. No one will ever hurt you so long as I live. It's okay…” The soft reassurances continued as her screams turned to sobs and she turned her head to bury her face in the familiar scent of Sais.
 
“I'll kill him…I'll kill him…I'll kill him,” she whispered between sobs.
 
Her heart was breaking over and over again every time the vision of those bodies flashed through her mind. The children had been so carelessly piled in the village fields and set fire to. Only a glimpse and it had been enough to see the glazed eyes staring at her, begging her to do something. One glimpse had been enough to see the children that still moved so feebly and tried to escape the flames that ate at their bodies.
 
She clung to the protection that Sais offered her and tried to will the vision away, but it would not fade. Grief turned to rage, but the tears would not cease.
 
* * *
 
Outside the wagon, Amaras shifted uncomfortably as he listened to her. What had happened to make her weep so brokenly? To wake up screaming?
 
Part of him wanted to burst in and snarl at the Rouge for letting her ruler hurt, but the other half held him in place. It was not his place and that was what really made him burn. He could never be as close to her as the Rouge or the Prince. He could never protect her as well as they would, but honor and pride kept him rooted to the spot. She was the best hope for his kind and until she directly told him to leave, he would remain where he could protect her as the first line of defense.
 
He glanced at the six imagi that had chosen to guard with him. While he was grateful for the assistance against the full humans' curiosity, they were a morbid lot. They seldom spoke…or moved for that manner and when they spoke, they only talked to each other in their strange language. It was enough to make anyone tense. The only thing that kept him from chasing them off was the fact that he needed them to help guard Soren against the wary advances of the other Riagenkai.
 
Amaras raised his head and looked again at the wagon. Her sobs had stopped. So soon? Was she able to recover so soon and move on? A deep unease filled him. If she could move on so easily from a nightmare that had caused her to wake screaming, then what else would she so easily move on from?
 
* * *
 
Sais gently rocked her back and forth like a child. For the moment, she was grateful. Her initial grief over the vision had subsided, but the coal of rage still burned in her stomach. What she had seen hadn't been just another memory. That dream had been a…warning? A glimpse of what was happening in her own country?
 
That thought alone filled her with a pulsing hate that outstripped anything she had ever felt before. She remembered the flash of imperial gold. Farin had sent Kaji to look for her, so that left Norcum leading the Royal Guard and that meant whoever held the throne now had…would order the slaughter. If it had already happened she would kill the bastards responsible. No one deserved to die in such a horrible manner, especially not children.
 
The memory of Janelle's death stirred an old grief. Before it could consume her, she extracted herself from it's grip. Kinnara was dead. That was the end of it, but her heart still gripped the memory of the girl that had seen her through the worst of those times. Very carefully and deliberately, she let the memory flow back into the depths of her mind.
 
“What are the chances that I'm a Seer?” she asked after a while.
 
Sais stilled in her movements and stared down at the red hair that covered Soren's head. “I don't know. There is always a slim chance, but I've never heard of a ruler being a Seer. What did you dream?”
 
Soren gripped the arms that still held her and leaned her head against the dragon's shoulder again. “My Royal Guard attacking several villages, destroying their crops, and killing the people in the most brutal fashion. There was a pile of children in one of the fields and a few of them were still alive when the bodies were set fire to. Can I have Seen what is going to happen?”
 
She was silent for a long time. “Possibly, but you are connected to the land and the land can only show you what is and has been, not what will be. What you saw was probably an old vision, delayed by the distance and time between you and the soil of your country.”
 
Her throat burned again as she remembered. “Then…it has already happened. Sais,” she said tilting her head so she could see the older woman's face, “I'm going to kill him for this.” There was no question of the steel and hate in her tone. The standing general and those that had participated in the destruction would pay and how dearly they would regret it.
 
“What do you want to do?” Sais asked softly, almost crooning. The edge in her queen's voice stirred the rage that burned just beneath her skin. If Soren asked her to, she would hunt those men to the ends of the earth and extract every moment of pain and despair they had ever caused from their skin. If she asked, she would bring those soldiers to her for punishment.
 
“How are your reserves? Did the manacles drain you too much over the last few months that you wouldn't be able to make the flight to Regenku?” Soren asked.
 
“I could make the flight, but that is it,” she said, reluctantly shoving the rage back. Now was not the time to call it up. Now was the time for planning. When Soren asked it of her, she would make the transformation and bear her back to the wretched place she had left so long ago.
 
You should rest another few hours, Chimadori interrupted swiftly. They are already dead and for those alive, you would not be much use to them if you were to faint from lack of sleep, food, and water. If you'll allow me, I will go hunting.
 
Homuna? Soren asked.
 
Asleep for now. He'll wake in a few hours and I have no doubt that he'll want you and some food. Joko can stay with him for now as I hunt. May I make a suggestion? she offered.
 
A smile quirked her lips. You will no matter what I say, so go for it.
 
Chimadori carefully extracted herself from Homuna's grasp and allowed Joko to settle around his master. The small wolf looked at both of them as if to say, He's mine and nothing you do will move me from his side. Then he lowered his head to rest upon the smaller dragon's legs and dropped off to sleep.
 
She clawed at the straw to make a small nest for the children and without looking up she said, I think you should help speak with Seku first. I believe that she was going to request your help in reclaiming her throne. You may want to make the suggestion that she travel with her people while she rests. She-
 
“Alright,” she said loudly. “I get it. Go hunt. I won't do anything foolish like siege the palace with just Sais and myself.” Satisfied, Chimadori rippled from sight and left.
 
She glanced at Sais, who was waiting patiently for her to divulge what her Kingen had insisted upon. “Chimadori is going to hunt for us. We'll speak with Seku, eat, and then rest for a while before we head out. Aside from that I have no idea how we will proceed.”
 
Her arms tightened around Soren's shoulders for a moment before she released her and allowed her to put distance between them. “We'll figure it out as we eat and I'm sure you can speak with Farin during that time. He may have a better idea of what's happening. In the meantime, though, what do you want to do?” Sais asked, studying her pale features.
 
More than twelve hours of sleep had done her good, but it wasn't enough. She needed food to regain her strength and, more than that, she needed emotional balance to begin healing. While she wasn't sure what would give the woman-child emotional stability, she knew how to help her physically. If she had something to do, some plan to follow through on, then she wouldn't be so inclined to remember what she had seen.
 
“We should go meet with Seku now then,” Sais offered after a moment's silence. “Amaras delivered a message to me saying that she would like to meet with us as soon as possible.”
 
Soren nodded and then glanced at Homuna. As if reading her worry, Sais added, “We can bring him with us, if you want to.”
 
She offered the dragon a quick smile as she moved over towards Homuna. Ever so gently, she extracted the younger dragon from the cradle of his familiar's body and lifted him to her hip. He gripped her shirt and snuggled closer to her shoulder with a sleepy grunt. She felt her heart lift slightly as she held him. For a moment, she forgot the dream and the horror of it. All that mattered in that moment was holding the little boy in her arms.
 
She looked up at Sais and said, “We can go now.” Joko gave her a plaintiff look as she got up, but he offered no protest and followed after her as she and Sais left the wagon.
 
As soon as they left the wagon Amaras and the six imagi took up guard positions around them. Together with their silent entourage, they headed for the cluster of humans that marked Seku and Hakunazra's location. With each step over the soft sand that brought them closer to the other pair, she felt her trepidation rise. For what, she hardly knew, but the knot in her stomach grew. As they drew closer, the full humans looked at them with a mixture of awe and hate-though the latter was reserved for the full blooded imagi. Despite the looks, though, they fell back and let them pass without a word.
 
Soren was unsurprised to find the older queen tending to the injuries that her people had suffered under Jestiry and the slavers. Despite the heat and the apparent frailness of her body, she was out tending to others without a second thought to her own well-being. Which, Soren noted with some amusement, was driving her dragon mad as he looked torn between worry and outrage. She was sure that he was debating the merits of dragging her off to get some rest.
 
“Lady,” Torun addressed her, his eyes lingering on Seku.
 
She looked at him. It didn't escape her notice that her glanced first at the only female of their group before saying, “If it would please you, Lady, a few of my comrades and I would be willing to tend to the humans while you spoke privately with Queen Seku.”
 
Glancing at Sais for her slight nod of approval, she said, “You may so long as you see no danger to yourselves and it is to Queen Seku's liking.”
 
Silver eyes met gray-green. She dropped her gaze back to the slender, blonde haired woman she was attending and finished tying off the bandage on her leg. With a touch of magic she cleaned the blood off the woman's arms and healed the other minor cuts that littered her skin. “That should do it for now. Just make sure not to over exert yourself and you'll be completely healed in a few days,” she said with a smile.
 
“Thank you, majesty,” the woman whispered as she shifted and made to lower her head.
 
Seku stopped her with a hand on her shoulder. “There's no need for the formalities out here. Go to your family,” she said and tears brimmed in the woman's eyes.
 
Out of the corner of her eye she saw the imagi begin to shift uneasily. For one moment she allowed herself to feel empathy before she buried it. To have been hunted nearly to the point of extinction and then offering yourself to the service of a queen couldn't be easy, especially when they were trying to help those whose race had hunted them in the first place.
 
Something shifted in her as she turned her gaze back to the woman and Seku. She watched the woman rise with another murmured word of thanks and leave. If the imagi decided to remain with her then she would see to it that they had a place among her lands, even if she had to place wards to keep others out of their lands.
 
“This isn't exactly how I imagined I would meet another queen and her Riagenkai,” Seku said, glancing at Soren. “Though I thank you for taking the risk to kill my brother and set us free. It took bravery to do what you did.”
 
Soren shrugged uncomfortably and shifted Homuna's weight a little. “Nothing to it. All I did was throw something at him and I missed, at that. Amaras did everything else.”
 
The dragon in question smirked at her. “Without the distraction, I wouldn't have been able to do anything at all,” he said and Soren felt a blush creeping up her neck as all eyes turned to stare at her. Even Sais raised an eyebrow at her in question and knew she wouldn't escape an interrogation later. Some things never changed.
 
Seku turned her head to another person and opened her mouth to say something when Hakunazra seized the chance to sweep her into his arms. She protested, but he only answered, “Rest is in order. Allow the imagi to tend to them as has been offered and talk with the other queen. There is no need to exhaust yourself so soon after you have been set free. If I have to, I will knock you out and then make sure you stay unconscious for the next two days.”
 
She sighed, but offered no protests.
 
Sais moved after them without waiting for Soren, clearly expecting her to keep pace with her. Instead, Soren looked at Torun and said, “You six may stay behind to look after those that will accept your help.” When he looked about to protest, she added, “The six of you can better defend yourselves against an angry mob than two or three and Amaras is coming with me…Aren't you?” she inquired of the dragon. The way he looked at her as he nodded made her feel like she was a prize bone being sized up before she would be gnawed on.
 
The imagi bowed his head a little to her as he said, “Very well, Lady Queen.” And with that, the six imagi rearranged themselves around the female of their band, taking directions from her as she issued them. She and Soren shared a brief look before the two turned to their respective tasks and left the other to theirs.
 
Amaras was entirely silent as they walked together after Sais and Hakunazra. Despite what she had seen, despite the night before, despite the fear and exhaustion over the last few months, she felt more content than she had for so very long. The silence between them was uncomfortable. Rather, it was like the silence between two friends that had known each other for a long time.
 
Ahead of them, the two Riagenkai sized each other up. Hakunazra had an arm looped loosely around Seku's waist as she studied the older dragon. The silence between them was palpable, but there were things that needed to be said before things could ease between them.
 
His voice was soft as he said, “I am sorry that I had to hurt you, but it was necessary to keep Seku safe.” He glanced at the royal in question and Seku dropped her gaze, shifting her weight uncomfortably.
 
“Was it also part of your plan to use us to make your escape?” Sora asked mildly, though her voice held a biting edge of sarcasm and anger. Their eyes met briefly, but he did not answer.
 
As she drew breath to toss another sarcastic comment at him, Soren reached them and interrupted her. “Enough,” she said flatly. “You would have done the same in his position. Don't begrudge him the honor of protecting what is dear to him any way he knows how.” Though she said the words, her eyes were a deeper shade of ice than usual and they sent a thrill of fear through his very blood when she looked at him.
 
She dropped her eyes and he relaxed. Making an enemy of her would be unwise, he though before he could stop himself. Very carefully, he pulled away from those thoughts and focused on the matter at hand.
 
Silence fell between them again. Both queens knew what had to be said and yet neither wanted to end the uneasy truce between them. Finally, Seku asked, “Do you know the state of your kingdom?”
 
“Civil war. A false queen had Farin's will bound so that he might not help the people as the Royal Guard terrorize my people,” with false cheer she continued, “and my acting Heshen is currently hacking them apart as we speak.” She stopped talking as Sais glared at her. If looks could kill, she would have drowned in a pool of sulfuric acid.
 
Hakunazra looked faintly ill. “The Prince has been sealed?” he asked.
 
“Yes. I believe he said his father would be behind it,” she said with impatience.
 
Hakunazra sank slowly into the sand as his knees gave out. “No,” he whispered. “Askerin is free to kill as he pleases. There is nothing stopping him from attacking dragons and humans alike now. It won't be long before the Trestri Mountains are overcome with the blood he will shed.”
 
Chimadori's presence stirred within her mind. Great idea, telling him that his prince and the best hope of his race has been sealed and rendered a puppet. Now we get to deal with a psychotic dragon on top of Sora and Homuna, she snarled.
 
Hush. I think Seku has him under control, Soren retorted as she watched Seku kneel beside him and gently place a hand on his shoulder.
 
You'd better hope so. Oh, and I've tracked down some meat, but it'll be another hour or so before I have enough to feed the three of you.
 
Soren didn't get a chance to respond before she felt Chimadori withdraw from her mind. Glancing over at Sais she met the dragon's blue gaze. A small smile quirked her lips before she turned her eyes back to the other dragon.
 
They watched as Seku knelt beside him and, with a few choice whispered words, they were both back on their feet a moment later, but Hakunazra couldn't help pulling Seku against his chest in a protective embrace. For a while they stood like that. Sais and Amaras looked away at the intimacy of the gesture, but Soren watched with curiosity. Hakunazra's eyes flicked to hers before he reluctantly released Seku and allowed her to step away, flushing a bit as she did so.
 
“Right,” Seku said after a moment. “Well, I was going to ask you if you would consider helping me, but you have your own problems. What is your plan to reclaim your throne?”
 
“I haven't gotten past the part of killing my acting Heshen,” she admitted, shifting Homuna to her other hip. The movement caught Hakunazra's attention and his nostrils flared slightly as he took in the boy's scent. Homuna blinked blearily up at her and then burrowed his face into her shoulder.
 
“A young dragon?” he asked before Seku could say anything more. His eyes flashed to Sais and respect flared in them. “You are the one that stole the dragon egg from beneath his very nose? That was very daring and stupid, what you did. I commend you for your bravery. Not many of us are willing or able to defy him anymore.”
 
Sais gave a nervous laugh as Soren looked at her with a raised eyebrow. “It's a fascinating tale, but let's save it for later, shall we?” She was relieved when the younger woman smiled a little and looked back to Seku.
 
“What did you have in mind?” she asked. “For reclaiming your throne, that is?” she amended at the blank look she received.
 
She glanced at her dragon from beneath the veil of her brown hair. “I was rather hoping that we'd be leaving just as soon as we had things settled here. It shouldn't be too hard getting the ministers to kneel to us once more now that my brother is dead. Bloodshed can best be avoided if we leave at once.”
 
Hakunazra would have snarled his opinion if Soren had not offered hers in that moment. “You're an idiot,” she said shortly. “You cannot hope to win with just yourself half-starved and a Riagenkai whose power has been drained to the breaking point.” Even if she wanted to leave immediately she could see the wisdom of resting for a few hours longer.
 
Seku flushed. “What about you then? What was your plan if you're such the brilliant tactician?” she demanded.
 
That brought her up short. Her plan had always been to siege the palace with just herself and Sais. It was the quickest way and less people got hurt. As if she heard her thoughts, Sais gently said, “Even a dragon as old as I cannot withstand the combined efforts of a thousand humans or more.”
 
“Can't you just breathe fire on them and be done with it?” she asked in shock as she felt the last vestiges of hope fading.
 
Before she could answer Amaras said, “It is possible, but would you really want to subject your people that are not fighting to the destructive nature of dragon fire? Once it begins burning, it cannot be stopped until it burns everything within its path for a hundred miles. Even if your people were lucky enough to get clear of the inferno then the land would be ruined for the next fifty or so years.
 
“The best plan on both your parts-” he glanced at Seku “-would be to have your Riagenkai land in the midst of the battle in dragon form and attack that way. Most humans don't like being crushed to death or clawed at by a huge animal with scales harder than diamonds. Teeth and claws are just as effective as fire and, while slower, much less destructive.”
 
They stared at him. He had just shot down their first plan and given them an alternative within the same breath. Amaras just returned their looks with a bland one of his own, as if asking, “What and you never thought of it?”
 
Seku was the first to look away. She rubbed her forehead in a weary manner as she asked, “Will it change anything, though? Is force the only way to reclaim my throne?”
 
“Yes,” came Sais's reply.
 
She looked at the older dragon in surprise. “Once your throne has been usurped and you and your Riagenkai have been forced from the palace you have no chance of being accepted again by your ministers unless you retake the throne by force. Sometimes it is the only coin that ministers understand,” Sais continued, glancing at them, “but by the looks of you, you won't have enough strength to do so for a while. You'll need to find a safe place to recover and allow Hakunazra to regain his strength as well before you even think to attempt an assault of any kind on your throne.”
 
“How-”
 
“I'm much older than all the people here put together, older even than the Dragon King that torments so many of my blood. I know my way around the courts better than the likes of you two,” Sais answered, her features filling with a savage fury for a moment before that too faded. “I was there when the countries were still united under one banner and I saw when they fell and splintered into the six kingdoms of today.”
 
Seku couldn't help the gasp that escaped her. Even Hakunazra looked faintly ill. “Ten thousand years have passed since dragons began choosing our rulers for us. The one kingdom is only a legend.”
 
Sais looked at her and smiled sadly. “I have lived long enough to see the life of those legends and then watched them fade from your history. Too long, perhaps,” she sighed, tilting her head back to stare up at the sky.
 
For the first time, she truly saw just how old Sais was in the way sadness seemed to weigh down her very soul and lined her face. She wanted to say something to comfort the older woman, but words stuck in her throat. What could one say to ease the pain of so much sorrow for so long? She couldn't imagine what it would do to her to carry the weight of her memories and make so many horrible new ones over a hundred year period, let alone living for ten thousand years.
 
Homuna stirred in Soren's arms reached up to grab a chunk of Sora's hair and yanked until he had her full attention. “You old,” he said solemnly and for a moment silence reigned before a high laugh burst forth from her. Soren felt her trepidation melt at the sight of her dragon collapsing to the ground in a fit of laughter. If Homuna could so easily shake her out of such a mood, then there wasn't anything to be worried about for the moment.
 
She laughed so hard her entire body shook and kept laughing until tears streamed down her face. For the several long minutes she fought to regain her usual control and when she finally did succeed she fell back onto the sand, breathing hard and trying not to lose it again.
 
“Ah, chit,” she said softly when Homuna and Soren peered down at her with amusement. “How you make me smile, I have no idea. I'm very glad that you are Soren's charge. She will bring you up well, teach you things that we dragons never could have, and let you love as you see fit. You will have a life as no one else of our race ever has.” Her eyes met Soren's and the younger woman felt a smile tug at her lips as a warmth filled her.
 
“Sor my guardian,” he said, brightening. “You looks after us and protects us from the nasties,” he added shyly to Soren, who smiled at him.
 
Hakunazra and Seku watched with something akin to amusement as the youngest dragon managed to break the dark mood that had been hovering over them since they began talking. The boy was indeed special to manage such a feat at so young an age.
 
Even Amaras found himself smiling a little at the innocence of Homuna and the reactions of the two females. Given his way, he would follow Soren back to Regenku, help her reclaim her throne, and serve in her court. She was, by far, the most interesting person he had ever met. In the few short days he had actually known her and the months he had observed her, she had shown him that of the two dragons he could serve she was the better choice for him. Now that he understood exactly where she stood among the dragon court and why he felt the pull towards her that he did, he felt content with his choice.
 
The air rippled close to Soren's legs and she felt the brush of Chimadori's course fur before the Kingen dumped two gazelle corpses at her feet. She flinched back at the dull thud they made and tightened her arms around Homuna, who looked around curiously for the sound. “On that note,” she said dryly, “my Kingen has returned from hunting.”
 
Sais barely had time to leap to her feet and avoid being splattered with fresh blood and sand as the corpse of a lioness and another gazelle dropped into existence. She didn't have a chance to look at Soren before her Kingen rippled into sight, wearing a smug expression. Both Hakunazra and Amaras flushed at the view she provided, Kingen though she was, and looked away. Soren chuckled a little and she rubbed a hand across her forehead in a tired manner. “Josaline,” she said evenly.
 
“Yes, Riagenkai,” she answered, her tone smug as well.
 
Why did you go hunting?” she asked. “You didn't ask permission and I gave no indication that I wanted you to go.”
 
“Soren did,” she responded as if that explained everything. Which it did…unfortunately.
 
Sais glared at her for a moment and then switched to Soren. “Next time, chit, name the Kingen you are speaking to, because now you also have the ability to command Josaline as well as Farin's familiar. If you don't, then Josaline will find very…interesting ways to carry out those commands. She is stubborn and strong willed, so be careful what you say to her.”
 
“Alright,” she said mildly. “Chimadori, materialize.”
 
Her familiar obeyed and glared balefully at her. You commanded, master? she asked sarcastically, eyeing Soren with distaste.
 
“Just checking,” she said. Chimadori gave her an irritated look before disappearing. A pair of teeth snapped perilously close to her ankle, but she didn't so much as flinch. Her Kingen was in a bad mood and she wasn't about to encourage her antics.
 
Homuna giggled and squirmed in her arms. She smiled and set him on his feet, only to watch as he ran to the carcasses and…rip into one. “Homuna!” she exclaimed, scooping him into her arms again. “Wait until its cooked.”
 
“And on that note,” Seku said with a grin, “perhaps we should have lunch.”
 
There is not enough meat for more than yourself, Sais, and Homuna. Two dragons will eat quite enough, so if you want to share with everyone else then let them eat from Josaline's catch, she said warningly. If you eat less than your share then I will claw you until eat more. Understand?
 
Yes, she replied as she asked, “Sais, can you use fire in-” but the carcasses burst into flames before she could finish. She yelped in surprise and leapt back before turning a glare on Sais, who stared back in an amused manner.
 
“It wasn't me, chit,” she said pleasantly. She didn't add that it would have been if Hakunazra hadn't already done it. As it was, though, they shared an amused look before turning to their respective royals and informing them that the meat was cooking. The women, in turn, shared a look and rolled their eyes. Dragons, was the clear message exchanged between them.
 
It wasn't long before the meat was cooked, the charred fur and skin stripped off, and people had begun to loosely gather round at the smell. In short order, the other people had scavenged dried fruits and vegetables from the supplies that they could find, carved the carcasses up, and served the royals and dragons the majority of the lioness and one of the antelope. When the two queens made it clear that they had eaten their fill the people began carving up the remaining two antelope between the rest of them. Those that would do the majority of the hunting ate a little more than those that would not, but it was the first time in months that they had had more than stale bread and old cheese.
 
Soren felt Chimadori stir beside her as they watched Homuna playing with a few of the other children. Even though he was a dragon and they human, they made no distinction. She felt a pang as she realized that this would possibly be the last time for a long while that she would see him so care free.
 
I want to go hunting again. It might be a while before they are strong enough to hunt for themselves, Chimadori said and Soren could hear the weariness in her voice. Even Hakunazra and his Kingen won't be up to hunting for a few weeks yet. Any strength that he regains will most likely be redirected to healing his queen. You've seen how horrible she looks.
 
Yes, I have, but are you up to it? she asked.
 
More than. The most tedious task is hunting them down. If Josaline were to come with me then we could bring back twice as much game in half the time, her Kingen offered.
 
She glanced at the older dragon and watched as she spoke with her familiar for a moment. Then, she called, “Sais, is Josaline willing to go hunting again?”
 
Sais glanced at her and then back to her Kingen. They exchanged a few words before Josaline disappeared and the dragon looked at Soren, waving her approval as she did so. “She'll be hunting separately, though, so you may want to send Chimadori to a different hunting ground. I don't think she'll take so kindly to another taking down her kills,” she said as she rose and slowly made her way to sit beside the younger woman.
 
“Alright, you may go,” she said to Chimadori and her familiar disappeared as well.
 
There was silence between them as each contemplated the question they wanted to ask, but neither could summon the courage to broach the subject. Finally, Soren leaned forward to rest her elbows on her knees and, without looking at her, said in a flat voice, “After the guards dragged me away from you I was knocked out. When I woke up, I was in Jestiry's bed-” she ignored Sais's gasp “-and I was naked. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what happened. Amaras was also there when I woke up. I think…I think he had finally decided that his best chance to kill the slimy bastard was while he was distracted by me.
 
“He almost got in a killing blow the first time, but Jestiry must have seen him move because he dodged and had him under the control of the manacles. I threw a bag of stuff at him, he turned to look at me, and forgot to hold the spell.” She paused and snorted in contemptuous amusement. “Amaras took advantage of his lack in attention and got a claw through his chest. And that was the end of Jestiry. Any questions?”
 
She studied the younger woman for a moment before she said, “You're taking it rather well, all things considered.”
 
Soren looked at her through the veil of her fiery hair. “I was unconscious so I don't remember what he did to me. Besides, I've faced worse things while awake than what he did. It's not like this is going to scar me any worse than I already am, Sais.” Though the words were true, she didn't say that she was shying from the truth of the matter. There was no need for Sais to get wound up over something that had already taken place.
 
Silence hung between them for a long time before Sais spoke again. “Fair enough,” she said. “Have you spoken with Farin yet?”
 
“No. So, did you take Homuna's egg from the dragon stronghold alone or did you have help? You've only ever told me that you didn't think it wise for a Riagenkai like Homuna to grow up under the Dragon King when you took him from the Trestri Mountains,” Soren said, looking down at the sand and carving patterns into its grains.
 
Sais grinned at the change of subject. For the moment she was willing to let the woman-child avoid that topic, but they would return to it eventually. “Alone,” Sais answered, the grin fading. “I was tired of running and it seemed a good idea at the time. Even if I couldn't hope to match him in strength, then I could at least do something to foil his plans to bring even the Riagenkais under his control. I was in and out before anyone realized the egg was gone and I went back to my wandering ways, but I was more wary after I took the egg. Then, you called to me.”
 
Soren looked at Sais and felt her heart constrict. Farin had once told her that a dragon with no purpose that had lived so long was usually given to insanity and violence, but for Sais to have held out for so long…it must have been torture. She dropped her eyes, sighed, and ran a hand through her hair as she watched Homuna fall into a laughing heap with the other children. She smiled. Sais was strong. She had waited for purpose to find her again. not many could do that.
 
“I'll bet that it must really burn the Dragon King's tail to know that you were able to do such a thing,” she said after a while.
 
Sais grimaced. “If we had reached the Trestri mountains than I have no doubt that he would have found imaginative ways to make me scream.” Her eyes drifted to the children and then to Amaras just beyond them.
 
She flinched at the thought, memories of Kinnara spinning through her mind. After a moment, she dismissed the thoughts and moved past them. There were more pressing matters to be dealt with and dealing with those memories could wait until a time when things were not quite so precariously balanced. A big part of her, though, recognized that by denying them now would only make the inevitable worse, but before she could think more on the matter she felt Farin stir within her mind, seeking to speak with her.
 
A quick glance at Sais told confirmed that the older dragon was preoccupied with other thoughts. She closed her eyes and opened her barriers to him. There was a grimness to his thoughts that made ice settle over her heart as she asked, What is it? Has something happened?
 
He hesitated. Six weeks ago the Royal Guard began attacking the people. Harimetia…got bored and wanted to have some fun…
 
She snarled. Farin ignored her.
 
…and they became a little over zealous in their new freedom. The population has been reduced by nearly a third. I fear that if you wait much longer there will be nothing left to save. Has Seku reclaimed her throne yet?
 
She's too weak. It will take weeks for her to regain the strength needed for such a siege.
 
Farin plucked her memories again and she waited for him to make a connection that she had missed. You worry for the safety of the other slaves and the imagi, he commented absently, and for the fate of you charge. Might I offer a solution?
 
Yes. Anything.
 
Leave the imagi to guard the humans against the dangers of the desert. When you siege the palace, leave Homuna on Sais's back and have her fight only in dragon form. She'll be better able to watch after you that way. Amaras, I have no doubt, will follow you. Have him guard you in human form.
 
And Seku and Hakunazra?
 
He was silent for so long she thought he had withdrawn. Then he said, Perhaps it would be best if you allowed them to regain their own throne. When I originally made my suggestion, I had no idea of the state of the kingdom. It is up to you if you wish to accompany Seku on reclaiming her throne, but I would strongly suggest that you return home immediately.
 
Do you know where Kaji is? He's very good at strategy. She waited with bated breath. Knowing that Farin didn't like the former Heshen anymore didn't help, but she needed people she could truly trust. Amaras would be great to have, but…he wasn't Kaji.
 
He should be near the borders of Jesira and Regenku close to the Sanma where I last saw you. Grent says that it's been a hard journey on the three humans and that when the provincial and private armies of the nobles started raiding and… Farin hesitated and Soren felt bile rise in her throat, …other things they launched counter measures. They organized whatever resistance there was in that city and forced back a good portion of the armies. That's why he's been unable to leave the country even by horseback.
 
Good, that'll be the ideal place where we can drop into the country and take the palace by surprise and, on the way, dispatch the former armies. She hesitated before adding, I'm sorry, Farin, but you'll may have to wait a few months more to be free of the spell. It'll be a while before I reach the capital if I take this path.
 
His quiet, good natured chuckle echoed through her thoughts. Do what you have to, silver-eyes. I would wait another sixteen years just to see you again.
 
A gentle caress touched her before he withdrew his mind from hers and left her to continue observing the court and gathering information for her. She felt a deep sense of loss for a moment before she adjusted. Opening her eyes she found her dragon staring curiously at her. She flushed and asked, “Sais, how good are your reserves at the moment?”
 
“Fairly low. I could manage a flight to Riana or Regenku, but I wouldn't be much good beyond that. What did you have in mind?”
 
She smiled grimly as she relayed the news Farin had just informed her of. The dragon swore with all the creative violence she could muster for the better part of a minute. When she finally ran out of breath, Soren relayed the plan that she and Farin had forged. For the next hour or so, the two of them worked through the plan and refined it. In the end, though, they were forced to admit that a lot of it was going to depend on luck and timing.
 
By this time, the six imagi had returned. They were sweaty and exhausted from the healings they had expended their energy on. Amaras had drifted closer to listen to their conversation and had added to it when it felt necessary. The children had long since retired back to their parents and Homuna sat with his back curled against Soren's leg.
 
Soren met the gaze of the only female among the imagi. “My name is Arianna. I lead these imagi warriors. You have imagi blood and you are a queen,” she said after a moment. “What would you have of us, Lady Queen?”
 
“Why do you submit so easily?” she asked, her eyes flicking to the silent Torun. “I was under the impression that you lot were independent and resistant to human rule of any kind.” She rose slowly until she stood eye level with the woman. Homuna clutched at her clothes and peered at the imagi from her side.
 
The males around Arianna shifted uneasily beneath her cool gaze. Glancing at her men she answered, “We are few and far between where once we were a great race. If we do not ally ourselves with the humans in some way then we will disappear forever. You are our choice.” She gave a wryly smile. “I, for one, am not willing to see the full bloods disappear entirely even though there can be benefits to the mixing of and human blood. Humans are less likely to hunt down those they bed and breed than those they have no connection to.”
 
Gratified though she was at their trust she still pressed them. “How do you know I won't turn into one of the madness crazed rulers that destroys everything? If that happened, then the humans would be out for the full extinction of imagis, full and partial blooded alike.”
 
Arianna treated her to a long, unreadable look that made Soren want to shift uncomfortably. “In the village where you once lived, there was a boy named Tobi that you were friends with,” she answered and Soren felt her heart jump at the mention of her childhood friend. “He is my son. After your aunt and her men razed it, he returned to me with the tale of a red haired, silver eyed young girl that had been taken by a former noble. Not long after that, the Riagenkai of that country took off. It wasn't hard to put two and two together after that.
 
“I trust my son's judgment and he trusts you. Two years may have passed, but the human character does not change that much unless the person was twisted by another. You, I can see, have not been twisted, despite the attempts made by other.”
 
Something settled deep within her and she felt a knot loosen. “Tobi survived? If so, I'm glad, but it is a little convenient that you have a son by that name. it isn't so uncommon a name in Regenku.”
 
Arianna smiled. “Then I shall have to bring Tobi to visit you after everything is settled.”
 
Soren laughed. “Alright, I'll believe you for now. You wish to ally yourselves to a part imagi ruler so that your entire race does not die out?” she asked, more for clarification than anything.
 
“No,” she answered. “We wish to ally ourselves with you and no one else.”
 
Shock flitted through her for a moment before gratitude settled over her. Never before had an imagi or any group of imagis sought to bind themselves to a ruler of any kind and for them to have chosen her above the others was…extraordinary. “I thank you, then, for your confidence in me, Lady Arianna,” she said with a slight nod.
 
Surprised pleasure crossed each of the imagi's faces as they exchanged glances. “What would you have of us, Lady Queen?” she asked again, with more respect.
 
“If Queen Seku is open to it, I would like you six to guard these humans from the desert until they reach Riana. Then, I want you to join me in Regenku while I claim my throne and free my male Riagenkai,” she said. When they looked to protest she added, “I'm going by dragonback tonight to begin the process of eliminating my enemies and acquiring allies. I know the position of one potential ally and with him may come many more.”
 
“But-” Torun began, but stopped at Arianna's sharp glance.
 
“These are your wishes?” she asked softly.
 
“Yes.”
 
“I see,” she said. She couldn't help the resentment that flitted through her, but she could see where their presence would be a hindrance to her rather than a help. If the humans knew she had accepted imagi into her service, then they would likely revolt and kill her before the coronation if not well before that.
 
She smiled at the disappointment she saw. “I'd rather you lot come with me. It would be a comfort, knowing that there were trained warriors fighting with me rather than a bunch of ill trained farmers and soldiers whose loyalties are suspect, but I want to be sure that these people arrive home safely.”
 
Arianna nodded, feeling her wounded pride soothe itself. Still, though, she could feel the resentment of her men, but it was something that she would deal with in her own time. There was no need for Soren to deal with them when she had bigger problems to worry about. For the moment, they held their tongues, most likely waiting until they were in private before they expressed their displeasure for her ears alone.
 
“As the Lady wishes, then,” she intoned with a small bow. Soren returned the bow and they took their leave to find the other queen to inform her of their queen's orders and not so delicately inform her they were traveling with her people whether she wanted them to or not.
 
Seku's response was to hunt down Soren. The two women got into an argument over the merits of having the imagi travel with the former slaves and they attracted a good portion of the people in question. Those that gathered were of a divided opinion. There were some that didn't want anything at all to do with the imagi warriors and still others that could see the benefits of having six imagi and their Kingen travel with them while still in the desert.
 
In the end, though, Soren wore Seku down with the argument that everyone would be weak for a few weeks yet as a result of limited food and having the manacles drain them. Six imagi to guard them, and six Kingen to hunt for them, would be far better than letting Hakunazra expend his strength trying to guard both her and the others while trying to maintain hunting for such a large party. Seku relented and the people accepted her decision. The imagi would not be harmed so long as they acted as their guards.
 
That matter settled, the two queens quickly fell to discussing tactics and certain merits of starting their siege in secret first as opposed to announcing their presence and intentions right off. Seku thought it best to be honest and up front with her people and rally them against the ministers that sought to strangle the wealth from them. While Soren didn't disagree, she thought it best to go in unannounced and let the people join or stay out of the conflict as they chose.
 
When Chimadori and Josaline returned they dropped off three antelope, a cheetah, and a cactus. Soren asked after the cactus and Josaline's sarcastic reply consisted of degrading remarks about the purity of any water that the humans would be able to gather. Her response to that was to remark that Josaline couldn't tell the difference between a roasted pig and spit. Josaline returned to hunting with Chimadori only to come back with a boar and a bunch of weeds. Chimadori wisely decided to stay out of the argument that ensued as she helped the humans to skin and gut the animals. Then, she watched in amusement as Sais had to bodily separate her Kingen from her royal.
 
As the day wound down, Amaras somehow found himself entertaining the youngster Homuna and several of his newly acquired human friends as Soren tested her strength and skills against Arianna. They scavenged swords from the pile of slaver corpses and took care to clear a big circle a good distance away from the wagons and livestock. The cool of the evening was beginning to set in when they began. The other full humans joined the imagi males in watching the two females as they danced with deadly grace.
 
It wasn't long before the fight turned into a one sided battle and it became apparent that Arianna was holding back the majority of her strength. Soren came out of the fight nursing several scratches, but no serious wounds. Arianna, on the other hand, looked as fresh as she had when she had entered the fight. No one commented on Soren's shattered sword, but the humans silently reevaluated their opinion of the strength an imagi could possess.
 
After that, two of the carcasses brought back by Chimadori and Josaline were stripped of their meat and cooked into a stew. Sais healed Soren's wounds and Homuna attached himself to her leg again. Amaras gladly relinquished the care of the human children to their parents and took a place beside Soren as they ate the stew served to them.
 
Once dinner was over, Seku and Soren fell to discussing the different ways in which one could cultivate a ruined land. Amaras, Hakunazra, and Sais quickly became bored with the conversation and drifted a little ways from the pair and Hakunazra watched with amusement as Sais finally got the chance to question Amaras closely. Through the interrogation they learned that he had been shackled by the king and handed over to Jestiry with the intention that he would serve the human when he took his sisters throne. Amaras expressed quite verbally to them that he had absolutely no intention of submitting to another Dragon King ever again and that Sais would have to kill him if she didn't want him following after them.
 
Homuna turned large eyes to them when he caught a few of the words Amaras used. Then, he repeated those same words to Soren and asked their meaning. The two queens turned to look at their respective dragons and the three of them cringed slightly beneath the gaze of their queen. Soren smoothed over answering Homuna's questions without actually telling him what the words meant and returned to her conversation with Seku.
 
Twilight was just beginning to set in when Sais approached Soren. They shared a look and Soren nodded, breaking off her conversation with Seku. She rose and informed the older queen that she and her dragons would be leaving momentarily. Sais and Amaras followed her outside the protective ring of wagons and past the pile of slaver corpses until they stood a goo distance away from the people that had gathered once more to watch.
 
The imagi gave her solemn bows when she looked at them and then retreated another few feet as the dragons began their painful transformations. She glanced at Seku, who stood beside her, and felt a pang of regret. Over the course of the day, they had come to know one another quite well and of all the people she knew, she was almost willing to call the other a friend. She knew that it wouldn't be the last time they would see each other, but times they would be able to converse so easily would be few and far between.
 
She allowed the emotion to slip away as she turned her attention back to her dragons. Homuna shivered and clung closer to her as he watched the adults proceed through their transformations. He, too, had experienced the bone crushing agony of the process and couldn't imagine having to force it the way they were.
 
Soren's hand casually dropped a hand to his head and ruffled his hair. “It'll be alright,” she said as they completed the change.
 
Sais lay on the ground for a moment, her midnight blue scales heaving with the effort of breathing. Amaras lay not far from her, his bright green scales glittering in the dying sun as he labored for breath as well. His draconic form was quite a bit bigger than Sais's, but neither seemed to notice when they heaved themselves up and used their wings to keep themselves balanced.
 
Hakunazra whistled softly. “I never knew the Rouge was this dark in color. It suits her.” Sais cast him an amused look as she scattered sand beneath her claws and turned to face the woman-child and other queen.
 
“Take care not to die,” Seku said when Soren picked Homuna up and settled him on her hip. They exchanged a smile.
 
Then, Sais lifted her tail, wrapped it carefully around Soren's waist, and lifted them onto her back. Once Soren had settled herself and Homuna between her shoulder blades, Sais lifted her wings and thrust herself into the sky with three powerful wing strokes. Amaras was not far behind them as they stirred a small sand storm and they were finally headed for Regenku.