Original Stories Fan Fiction / Other Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness ❯ Epilogue ( Epilogue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Epilogue
 
 
For the first time in a long time I can hold her. She does not stir even as I lift her from the cold stone and cradle her to my chest. There is so much blood, too much of hers for her to have survived. The ministers and my sister paid for her death with their lives by my claws, but it cannot bring her back.
 
There is an emptiness in my soul where once she existed. Her crimson hair bears a striking contrast to the paleness of her skin. My vision blurs. She is dead…
 
…dead…
 
dead…
 
I can barely hear Kaji as he takes control of the men remaining and orders the release of the prisoners below as well as the tending of the wounded. I cannot even summon the old fury I used to feel for him. He has served her faithfully this last year. Whatever the feud between us has been ended.
 
They move around us and I cease to see them. All I feel is her skin against mine and the warmth fleeing her. She gave her life to free me when I would have died in her place. As the tears flow I scream. Madness waits just beyond my grasp.
 
I will not live this life without her.
 
It is eating me inside, consuming everything that I am. My mind shatters and reality splinters. In a dream I walk, following after the scent she has left. I can hear her laughter just beyond the next shard. Darkness dances in the everlasting night.
 
I feel the weight of her body in my arms, but I cannot see her. I chase the sound of her, the scent of her. She is just beyond my grasp. A sharp slices my arm and the blood drifts lazily into the emptiness only to be absorbed into it.
 
Suddenly, she is reflected in every fragment. She smiles sweetly with her hands clasped behind her back. “Come to me,” she whispers a thousand times in a thousand voices.
 
I reach out a trembling hand to touch the cold surface and her reflections shatter. Only one remains. She begins to drift away. I grab her. She clings to me. Together we fall into the darkness.
 
I will never let her go.
 
2