Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ The Crusade of the Quandary ❯ Prolouge ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
The ground tremored for a moment, the walls of the humid cave began to break away. Ezekial began to wheeze and rasp as he pushed onwards. His dark hair was stained with blood, fashioned in a short ponytail, as was the trend with wayward adventurers. His face was smeared with a mixture of dirt, blood and sweat and a hint of tears. The caves shuddered once more, the loose rock tumbling around his feet, cutting into his ankles. Soon enough, and to his relief, the ground stopped shaking just as quickly as it had begun. His torch lit perhaps four feet ahead of him, shining the bright yellow light from the flame onto his face, revealing a wrinkled, scarred and sunken face. He took a swig from his flask, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. He shook the flask above his mouth, but little but a drop came out.
”Shalenti…” he whispered “I've come to free you…like you asked….where are you?” He pulled himself into a smaller section of a cave. “I know you
are close…” He pulled himself through an opening, finding himself in a small room. “Are you here?” There was an old root, dripping with water from above. He pressed his lips onto the root of the tree, sucking up what stagnant liquid he could. “I know you wouldn't let me die here…Shalenti…but where are you?” Resting his hand upon the root, he saw something. A small gem was glistening in the light of his torch. He grabbed his knife from his robes and began to hack into the root. Slowly, he unexposed more metal and gems. ”I have found it! Dear Shalenti…I shall set you free!” He laughed to himself for a moment, finally pulling a staff out from within the root. “I know you brought me here for a reason, finally, Shalenti…finally…my training is completed! You have laid your trust unto me
 
***
 
Cadeyn's small figure sat upon the rocks above the village of Varshore, her blonde hair whipping behind her with little mercy. The grassy planes of the village were distant and quiet. A green leaf dropped from a nearby tree and slowly floated past her ear before being caught by the wind. She watched the leaf swirl down towards the village. As the wind dropped, the leaf hurtled down towards the ground, before skimming along the cold cobbled streets. The leaf gained momentum as the wind regained strength, swirling past horses and carts with no drivers, green and lush paddocks with no farmers and back down to the cobbled streets again. A priest's heel crunched upon the leaf, his eyes fixed down towards the streets. He passed houses filled with tears, begging, pleading and screams. Yet, he did nothing, placing one foot in front of the other. He stood up and looked at the church. Dark stones, goblins, marble, gargoyles adorned the walls. He shook his head, climbing the few stairs to the large double doors. He stood for a moment, before opening the doors once more. Shaking his head, he whispered under his breath.
”Why must you let history repeat, Shalenti? Why must these people leave the village
to die, once more?”
 
Cadeyn sighed, her fist tightening and releasing, tightening and releasing. The cows in the field would have to wait before having hay thrown into the paddocks. The corn could wait another few hours before the villagers who remained would return to harvesting. Cadeyn's blue eyes threatened tears as her hands moved to finger a small ring around her neck. Her fiancé would leave today, to join the band of crusaders who were leaving the village. They all had come without warning, causing the sleepy village to awaken with tales and drunken excitement. Cadeyn had watched them with interest. They did not seem to be bad people, campaigning for something or the other. However, very few had noticed how the crusaders tales would twist every few nights, how the tales of their heroic bravery became most intense, more surreal. As they continued to derive from the village stocks of wheat, milk, meat, honey, bread, fish and vegetables, the village folk continued to be enthralled with the lives of the crusaders. Before anyone knew it, the crusaders announced it was time to move on, towards the larger cities to the east. She clenched her fist again, tighter this time. The majority of male villagers had agreed to join the crusade, ignoring the period of war and worries which plagued the small village. When Cadeyn heard the news she frowned, not realising the whole potential of the consequences. At the time she did not think of her fiancé Jaser, not suspecting he would leave. Her eyes closed, memories plaguing her, for what seemed an infinite time.
 
“Mother?” Cadeyn smiled, her short hair knotted and strewn up in a men's style.She stood no taller than a boy about thirteen summers old.“Is there anything wrong? Master Kemp suggested talking to you...” Catherineturned away from her daughter.
“I made a promise, to Master Kemp quite awhile ago.” Cadeyn turned away from her mothers back, her fists slowly tightening. Master Kemp, her teacher and trainer, had been distant all day. He had mumbled bits and pieces under his breath aboutCadeyn's mother. Confused, she had finally asked him what was on his mind. Master Kemp insisted that she was to go to talk to her mother. With that, he had marched off, leaving a confused Cadeyn to stand alone, while his son ran after him. “Cadeyn, I, was going to tell you today, that…well, oh...” Cadeyn's tight smilefell asshe turned back around to watch her mother sit beside the fire. She knew what was coming. She had begged for her mother to tell her, from the time she had learnt there was something different about her.
What do you wish to tell me, Mother?” she turned away from her mother. Catherinehesitated for a moment beforedefensivelypulling on the threads of her skirt.
That I would tell you why...” her voice faltered, “I wanted the best for you…” Cadeyn took in her mothers wordsas she began telling of the past, tears falling freely onto the floor”.
 
Cadeyn shook her head, now was not the time to live in the past. She stood and began walking back to Kemp's small cottage. He was distraught by the news of Jaser leaving and he would want Cadeyn's help to prepare dinner. His hands were old and his joints swollen. His old age was steadily gaining upon him. She had no objection to helping Kemp, he had trained her and brought her up, an ill word never spoken of her. Her life changed after her mother passed away. Her father had been exiled out of the village, and she had done her best to force all thoughts of him out of her mind. She fought against sobs as she thought back to the past, once again, her eyes brimming with tears.
 
Catherine held an infant in her arms. Tears welled up in her eyes. It was a hard time for the village. Poverty, war, famine, and they wanted more men. Women were not as important and it had been agreed as she quietly listened to her husband talk with the town elder. If she gave birth to a baby girl she would not be accepted. She would be removed from the village, as if she had never existed.The helpless infant would be murdered.Taken from her mother and thrown into the river thyme. No funeral, no burial, no mention nor memories.There was no food, no place for a firstborn girl. The only exception of a female being born safe in the village would be if the mother had previously given birth to a son.She must have no more girls than she has boys.The village midwife, Elizabeth,came to talk to her again, a short while after the birth.It had been quiet and unannounced, with Cadeyn's father away, there would be no other witness to the birth of the child. Knowing the fate of the infant,Elizabeth had agreed to let Catherinegather her thoughtsbefore the child was to be taken away.
“You must help me, Elizabeth, please.” Catherineclosed her eyes tight, but the tears still flowed.
I cannot help you Elizabeth, the decision never belonged to meto begin with.Catherine refused to look her in the eye, guilt rampaging heavily on her shoulders.
“You're the only one who witnessed the birth; Marcusis not here, the priest is ill,you must not mention Cadeyn is female.Please…Elizabeth Catherineturned away, breaking into sobbing.
“Please…for Cadeyn's sake”Elizabeth broke into tears, turning away from the mother and he bundle. She did not turn back until she heard rustling. Drawing her skirts up, Catherine tugged at a hem, breaking the seam. To the midwife's confusion, she ripped a small hole with her teeth and removed a necklace, red stonesglinting in the morning sun,and placed it into Elizabeth's hands “please…for my child's sake.” Elizabethturned away, watching the deep red of the rubies, a slight twinge of greedand guiltstirring inside of her. She bit her lip, staring out the window. “How do you think you could conceal it? They'll find out, Catherine!Then you'll both lose your lives!
“I'll…I'll take her away. I will take Cadeyn and escape this god forbidden place. You don't have to do anything to put yourself at risk…no-one will ever know any wiser!” Catherine pleaded. Elizabeth let out a long sigh, shaking her head.
“I will not mention it to them. I will allow them to believe you have given birth to a male. Always remember that if you're your husband finds out, Catherine, you know what he will do.Leave, run,justtake your baby andget out...” Catherine lookeddown and nodded, watching the sleeping bundle.
 
While the years passed,Catherinenever ran. Blinded by fear, Cadeyn was watched over strictly by her mother, forever terrified of their secret. She was not to go outside without her mother, nor to speak to anyone apart from mother. She was not to speak with her father unless it was urgent. All traditions had been lost, much to the displeasureof Marcus. She was not to be seen undressed or bathing by anyone but her mother. Catherineday by day turned callous and cold, since the day Cadeyn was born, Catherine'sheart closed to anyone near her. Marcusgrew weary of this, but did not speak a word until Cadeyn was approaching herfifth summer.

Catherine!” He pushed her back onto the bed, as she struggled, pulling away from his grasp. His darkand drunken glaremade her seethe at the thought of him. Slowly, she forced a smile upon her pale face.
”I only want one child
, you know that. I can't do it again…I can't go through pregnancy and labour again. I nearly died last time Marcus, I just, I just can't risk it...Cadeyn wouldn't be able to handle it” He smirked, thinking of the shy five year old, which clung to his mothers hem.
”Perhaps you should let Cadeynroam a bit more Catherine, the village-folk are becoming suspicious that you are up to something, no one but you and I have heard him speak, in his pitiful whining tone. Is there something you have not told me?What is it? Witchcraft? I will not allow that in my house…if you even...
Catherinelooked slightly taken back “No. Ijust….wish...I. ..that, well, thathe stays a child forever.” She turned away. Marcussnorted and laughed, but only briefly.
“Catherine, again, is there something you are not telling me about the wimp?” Catherine'sexpression< i>did not deceive her.
No Marcus” She kissed him on his brow. “But if you wish for me to let Cadeyn have more freedom and courage, I shall find something to please you…” her voice briefly faltered again, before she regained her confidence. Marcusdidn't bother faking a smile.
“So we shall see.” At that, he walked away from
Catherine, dressing quickly and slammed the door. She suspected he would be back with the Maid's daughter, Caroline for the night. She allowed the unfaithfulness, for hope it would give her more time.
 
A week had passed whenCatherinereluctantly gave Cadeyn over to Kemp, an old friend of her late father. Master Kemp wasregarded the best arms-warrior in the village. Kemp trained his son every day, from dawn until late afternoon. Occasionally he would train the village's small army in return for rations of foods.
“Are you sure he's old enough?” Catherineasked quietly, not enjoying the chucklethat escaped Kempin return.
“Catherine.Stop this worrying. You may stay and watchforas long as you can. Boys like him need some roughness to his personality.” He laughed at Catherine'sface before turning back to Cadeyn. Catherinesighed nervouslybefore sitting under a tree. She sighed and resigned herself towatching,as her daughter began her first day training.
 
When Cadeyn was fourteen, herchildhood memories faded away intoa chaotic mess. The efforts to conceal Cadeyn's identity finally became impossible. Marcuswas growing older, yet Cadeyn politely rejected every chance to go riding or hunting with him. She could ride just as well as any other male in the village, had become dangerous competition in all archery games, shecould hold her own in hand to hand combat as well as knowing all the ins-and-outs of swordsmanship. No longer would he bear it. He went toCadeyn's room late that night. Catherine had said she would go help him with something, he expected she was talking with him.His tired eyes strayed upas he opened the door, his face breaking into shock. Catherinelet out a gasp, as she dropped the rags to bind up Cadeyn's breasts.
“Oh Marcus…I…I” hertears fell freely, Catherineturned away, frightened, as Cadeyn, red in face scrambled to button up the males shirtshe wore. Marcuswas silent, reddening in the face. Everyone was silent, until Cadeyn heard the smooth sound of her father's sword drawing.
”Father?!” She looked frightened for a second, her fingers numbly dancing around her bed to grab her own sword.
Father, please put it down...” Marcuswalked towards Catherine, an angry, drunken look washed upon his face.
”Father, please calm down!” She backed away, terrified as he slowly walked towards her, his face
was unreadable for a moment. It was empty, free from emotion. He stopped and watched Cadeyn's face for a moment. Then it changed. It was no longer bare and free from emotion, but beginning to burn with anger and resentment. His face twistedHe stopped advancing towards Cadeyn, and faced Catherine. He stood for a moment. He reachedfor his sword and swiftly drew it out,before Cadeyn could stop him he thrust outwards, the cold metal sliding through Catherine's chest.Cadeyn felt the cold metal of her hilt hit her hand, as her fingers numbly ripped the sword from it's sheath. Marcus turned on his heel, towards the kitchen.
Catherine shuddered for a moment, her mouth beginning to fill with blood.
”I tried” She whispered. “I tried to let you live…without them knowing…I'm sorry I failed” She whispered. Then she was silent.
“MOTHER!” Cadeyn's eyes filled with tears, her mothers death flashing before her eyes as she ran outside, the memory of her mother limply crumpling onto the floor, imprinted into her mind as she stumbled. “MOTHER!HE KILLED MY MOTHER!” Cadeyn tripped and fell on the ground outside, as others ran towards her as she screamed, lanterns in hand, as Marcusslowly made his way outside, his face solemn.
“Kill that dirty bitch!” His eyes had a look of disgust “She's no man! She's a woman! She lied and tricked all of us!Witch!” The village folk stood, silent, as they took note of the loose shirt, now covered in fresh blood, that revealedher now evident breasts. Elizabethstood at the back, streaking her hands through her now grey hair, regrets looming in her mind. Cadeyn looked up at the villagers, her tears streaming, the bystanders beginning to feel pity and confusion.
“He killed my mother…she's…dead” her eyes were fast becoming puffy and swollen. Kemp was the first to step out.
“He killed Catherine?” His face was concerned and angry. He was in thought for a moment before drawing his sword, pointing it at Marcus' neck.“You better not move one inch, Marcus, or you're life will be very limited indeed.” He spat the words, Cadeyn sobbing as she felt nothing, not even as Jaser, Kemps son, carefully took her wrist and moved her away from the crowd. He had known she was a girl since he was fourteen. He was three years older then Cadeyn, yet it puzzled him for months, how Cadeyn's muscles would never grow as defined as his, how Cadeyn was more agile, and how for a few months, Jaser could swear,Cadeynwas growing breasts, just like his cousins, yet flattened out soon after. Talking to his father, Kemp had smiled, and whispered to him to not to speak a word to another, that Cadeyn held secrets that was best not discussed.

Over the next few days,
Elizabethhad retrieved all Catherine and Cadeyn's possessions, leaving them in Cadeyn'scare. Amongst this, were all Catherine's heirloom jewels - including the ruby necklace, carefully replaced into her hems. There was no word spoken about Catherine's death, whether Cadeyn should have lived or not,nor Elizabeth's deceit. Kemp had warned them, loudly, that anyone who had anything to say, was welcomed to do so with him. Out of fear of his sword, no-one dared to speak a single word. From there on, Cadeyn lived with Kemp and Jaser, and over the years to come, Kemp began to age whileJaser and Cadeyn resumed their study of the fighting arts. Marcuswas tried of murder, but escaped from the unattended guard cells, leaving a note explaining his self proclaimed exile from Varshore.