Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ The Crusade of the Quandary ❯ The Village Battle ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

In the next months that followed, the village women took a ritual walk west to the cliffs at sundown. They would stare out at the distances, for any signs of a wandering army of the village men, joyously returning with good news. Not once did they catch sight of anyone other than a lone shepherd, bringing a herd of sheep to barter or trade. They too, soon became sparse. Cadeyn had become popular for being the villagers helping hand when things became too tough for the women to deal with, particularly when there was rain and flooding or strong winds. Kemp too, grew weaker by the day. Without Jaser, she recognised, his health was plummeting more rapidly then she had imagined possible. He was no longer the agile fighter who trained her until she recently reached the age of nineteen summers, but an elderly father, in which age had claimed far too soon.
 
“Cadeyn? Are you home?” Kemps voice sounded hoarse as he called out through the almost empty home. Cadeyn carefully skirted around the broken boards in the hallway. The floorboards had begun to rot, and she did not know how to repair them. As Kemp was unable to work for long periods of time, they were left to rot away.
“Yes master Kemp?” Managing to pull her face into an optimistic glance through his door, she smiled at him.
“Could you please bring me some water? My throat is aching…” Coughing, Kemp leaned over the side of his bed. Cadeyn could not help but frown. The village doctor had left with the Crusade, and the Doctor's son had admitted he knew under half of what his father did, and he had no idea how to help Kemp.
“I won't be long” She smiled at Kemp, making her way quickly to find the clay jug of water and proceeding to fill a drinking bowl with water, and making her way back to his bedroom.
“Here you go” She smiled at him, hoping to brighten him up. Yet her eyes still deceived her.
“Cadeyn, when will you learn not to hide your emotions from me? I can tell you are miserable. You have been growing more miserable every day that he does not return.” He coughed again, before taking a long drink of the cloudy water.
“I'm sure he will be back before long. He promised you that.” The tone in Kemps voice seemed unsure, but reassuring. Cadeyn sat on the floor, her legs folded.
“I don't understand why the men would leave all the women behind. Half of the crops will fail this year, because we do not have the knowledge of what they did. If they do not return, they will find no food to return to. All their efforts would have been wasted!” She tightened her fist, anger building inside of her. She watched Kemp smile and shake his head.
“They believe that the war is the answer to their problems so they can all lie about in the sun and live on others' work. It is an unattainable greed. Jaser will lead them home when they are ready to admit defeat. You must just carry on and wait. They have not learnt the hard way, as you have learnt indirectly from your grandfather's actions, and as I have by doing the same job you do now, as the men leave for the crusade. They will return in time. We both know that Jaser will not fail them, just as you would not in his place.” Kemp coughed harder this time, causing Cadeyn to rise.
“You should get some rest Master Kemp or otherwise you won't have enough energy for breakfast in the morning.” Cadeyn spoke quietly, forcing a slight smile onto her lips. “Thank you for your kind words, Master Kemp.” Without letting him reply, she slipped out of the door and headed towards the front door of their cottage. The downcast looks on the women's faces as they returned, one by one, was enough to show Cadeyn it would be another long and lonely night.
 
It was hours later on the same moonless night when Cadeyn awoke.
“CADEYN! MISS CADEEEYN!” Still in her nightclothes she fled to the door, flinging it open to reveal Elizabeth's youngest son, perhaps five summers old, looking up at her with terrified eyes. “Theys is coming! Theys coming now! Momma said run to Miss C-Cadeyn and tell her that theys from other village come steal food! Cadeyn gotta, gotta help quick!” Cadeyn fled to her room. Dressing in her armour and weaponry, she yelled at the child.
“Come this way and go into Master Kemps bedroom. Stay with him until I tell you it is safe. He will protect you! Hurry up and do what I say!” Cadeyn ran outside as the child skirted to Kemps bedroom, squealing with fright at a battle clad Cadeyn. The red tinge to the sky told her what she needed to know. It was her fifteenth summer when the neighbouring village had set fire to one of the northern farms. It was their first warning of attack when they saw the red sky, and Elizabeth's oldest son had come running and screaming towards them about `theys'. He was later shot in the back of his head with an arrow. There were all of them, then. Kemp, Jaser, Cadeyn and the Varshore army. She knew then the neighbouring village must have felt the pressure without many men too. She reached the small straggling group of her fellow villagers and her expression crumbled. Three or four had weapons. Three of them had reached adulthood. Most were under the age of fifteen summers equipped with sticks.
“Who here has fought before?!” her voice stood out among the rest, quietening down the worried murmurs. The three remaining men raised their hands. They were the ones in the army and the ones with weapons. Cadeyn nodded, by the look in their eyes, she knew they expected her to lead them. Woman or not, she was Kemps next of kin left in the village. He always led them. No-one had ever argued with Kemp on his leadership, as if they expected they would be slaughtered where they stood if they had dared.
“You three! Stand behind me! The rest of you, go to the weaponry shack and look for anything! A stick will get you killed!” She hesitated and removed her bow.
“Everyone under the age of thirteen summers, go back to your families at once and protect them from there. Lock and bar any entrance you have.” She frowned as several kids fled in different directions, back home. Skimming the crowd, she chose one of the best archers. She knew they all had some practice at the village festival games. One of the older kids had talent, and she nodded at him as he caught her bow as she threw it and then tightened his grip while he looked in awe at the quiver she passed. “Get undercover and use it.” She gruffly nodded as they found a set of old swords and bows and arrows that had not been checked for faults for years. She suspected they were blunt or broken, but anything was better than a stick. She closed her eyes as she heard them approach, she could tell they were hidden behind one of the houses. But they would only be concealed for moments.
“On the count of three, run past the wall and attack them as they enter the gates! One! Two! THREE!” The sound of hooves were deafening as they drew closer, and as she drew her sword, she let out a cry of battle, she silently prayed to any god who would listen, to save them.
 
Pain. Anguish. Negative emotions flowed through Cadeyn as they upturned the bodies. She had uncovered two of Elizabeth's children. The only child Elizabeth now had alive, was the one she sent to Kemp. Sick or not, he would have protected him. Somehow. There was twenty five fighting against the villagers upon weak and badly trained horses. Cadeyn had saved five horses, which would heal and be retrained for their use in the farms. The men fighting had little experience on horseback, nor did the horses have good trainers. A tear rolled down her cheek as they carried the last body away. She was wrong. They were not men. They were adolescents at best. Cadeyn would organise a pyre to be built for her opponents. Out of all who fought to protect the village, there were seven still alive. Herself, three men and three of the older teenagers. She nodded at the men as they carried the bodies off. They had done well. She looked sadly at one of the men as they spoke to her.
“You fought well, Miss Cadeyn.”
“Thank you Sir”
“You'll be a great warrior one day” He smirked “even if you are a woman.” She nodded and smiled, if only weakly.
“You fought well too Sir.” He nodded
“You should see to your arm. It is still bleeding Miss, go on, I can take over from here” She smiled and thanked him, walking back to the cottage. Her arm was struck a bad blow by one of her opponents. If they had hit her cleanly, she would have lost her arm, or her life. She would make sure the young men and women who fought were returned halfway to the village. The cause of the battle was not personal, she knew that now. No-one in their right mind sends children to war.

As she went home, her heart sunk. It was time to take Elizabeth's child back home. She would be the one breaking the news to Elizabeth, before the two bodies were returned.
“Master Kemp?” Walking through the cottage, Cadeyn's heart began to beat faster. There were upturned chairs in the main room. They had been here. Her horse, bought in her thirteenth summer, had been struck to the neck. He lay meters from her cottage.
“MASTER KEMP!” Cadeyn flung herself down the hallway and through his door. Silence. It then hit her, the slow reek of fresh blood. Kemp was on the floor, fully dressed with his sword beside him. His eyes were open and cold. He was not wearing armour. Three stab wounds were visible to his chest. Cadeyn fell to her knees. She would not be bringing Elizabeth her last child anymore. She sobbed, reaching out for Kemp. She should have moved them both to somewhere safe. A small voice reached her from under the bed sheets.
“Does Miss Cadeyn say its safe now? I's awfully scareded unda here, Miss Cadeyn” Cadeyn immediately drew the blankets back. In a small ball was a whimpering child, dressed in the armour she recognised wearing herself once, as a child. Kemp had dressed him in her childhood armour and told him to hide. He had saved him after all.
“Come here, Sebastian, it is safe now.” Reaching out for him, she pulled him close and hugged him. He trembled like a leaf in her arms.
“Theys came here! Master Kemp said hide now! He said he fight them. He coughs lots and lots. He say don't move or I will be killed too. Master Kemp cough and dropped sword because cough so bad. Theys gotted em! Theys hurteded Mr K-K-Kemp! I couldn't stop theys! I sowwy I didn't help Miss Cadeyn!” With that, he burst into tears. Cadeyn, forgetting her position as a warrior, let her tears flow free with her sobs. She now was left without a soul in the world. Her mentor and who she had considered a father had been slain because of the crusade. He had faith in them. She did not move again, until the small child sniffled again.
“Is wanna see mama and bwothers. Bwothers not hurtded! Bwothers not hurtded, Miss Cadeyn? Did you safe them?” The look in Cadeyn's eyes and fresh tears, led the child to a loud bawl, as she carried him back to Elizabeth. He was too young to understand death.
 
“Oh Cadeyn! Are my boys alright! Oh! Sebastian! You're safe! Did you get hurt?” Elizabeth, almost flying as she ran towards Cadeyn, had tears running down her cheeks.
“Cadeyn! My boys! Where are my boys?” Cadeyn looked down, carefully passing Sebastian, who shed a second lot of bawling tears.
“I'm sorry, I…couldn't save them. I couldn't get to them in time. I am sorry…” Cadeyn stared at the ground as she spoke. She knew it was not her fault, but she felt like she had to blame someone.
“Oh...my…” With Sebastian in arm, Elizabeth sunk to her knees. Her husband had died the year before with a plague. It was now her and her young child alone. Cadeyn sobbed, suddenly.
“They reached Kemp. They got him too. He's the …he was the only one left. Kemp saved your little one, but he was too ill to fight. If the doctor was here, he'd been able to defend himself….they…they...” Cadeyn sat down abruptly, beside Elizabeth. Her mind had drawn a blank. When Jaser left, she felt she had to stay to protect and help Kemp. Now he had left, and she was without a mentor. She had no ties, no responsibility, nothing. Not even her fiancé.
“Cadeyn, I am sorry for your loss…” Elizabeth's voice sounded unsure and uncertain. “He did love you as a child. He'd laugh so hard when you would scream and run off, every time he drew his sword. He couldn't teach you swordsmanship until you were at least nine summers. Even then, your eyes were as wide as saucers. You were the best for your age by the time you were ten. Remember how proud he was of you, Cadeyn. Let that keep you going.” Elizabeth spoke uncertainly, but Cadeyn understood.
“You should find them and bring them back home.” Elizabeth's voice rose a little suddenly. “Demand to get them to come home and pick up the pieces before we all die. I bet you can find them, Cadeyn.” She raised herself to her feet suddenly, Sebastian clinging to her skirt.
“Let's get your arm fixed up! It will rot away before your journey if you don't get that seen to!” She pulled Cadeyn up, who blindly followed her, not understanding how Elizabeth drew her strength back so quickly.
“My Journey?” Cadeyn seemed uncertain, leaving the village, something she had never done, seemed daunting.
“Yes. Your journey. You're going to find our men! Promise me you will leave this damned village and try to save us, Cadeyn.” Elizabeth spoke louder this time, defiant.
“You will go at dawn, and I will pack - and the village will help pack the best foods to keep you going. You will find them, and bring them back home to us.” Cadeyn, numb, could only nod
“I've never left here…I….I perhaps I could.”
“Of course you can.” Elizabeth gave her a strong look, stripping off the material around Cadeyn's arm to rub herbal lotions into the wound.
“And you will return with the men.” She winked “no running off with strange city men either, got that?” Cadeyn barely managed a laugh. She no longer had faith in men.