Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ The Ocean in a Pirate's Eyes ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The captain had studied this man, named Demetri, as he was speaking to him with Aurora near. He assumed that while his sister was around, he would continue to be suspicious of Noir's intentions. Being somewhat of an expert in persuasion, Noir had taken the man to a more private place to speak of the materials he wished to obtain.
 
Now, the only problem was obtaining them. He weighed out his options; the first, being that Noir himself either persuade or force the man to hand the maps over, or the latter: let the girl persuade him. He knew that letting the girl persuade him would have been easier, but there was always the slight chance that it would actually make Demetri even less trusting of Noir.
 
Thus, the stubborn captain decided to handle matters the difficult way. The room he had rented for a couple hours was not far from the top of the stairs. Opening the door, he politely allowed Demetri to enter before him. He looked around the room; it consisted of a small, single-person bed and a wooden dresser with a mirror sitting above it. It was in no way the grandest room, but it was cozy. Perhaps cozy enough to convince this fellow, he wordlessly hoped. “Mister Noir,” started Demetri, “I must be entirely honest. I don't know what you're up to, but it certainly has nothing to do with trade.”
 
Noir allowed a small chuckle to escape his lips as he leaned against the dresser. “Nothing escapes your sharp eye, eh?” He grinned when Demetri simply crossed his arms. “Though it could involve trade, if that's what it takes to retrieve your maps of these seas.”
 
Demetri raised a brow, asking, “Maps? You want maps?” When the captain nodded, he shook his head. “Why would you need maps if you knew how to get here, to Caerni?”
 
“We only obtained one map during our…sudden stop at a port previous to Syrania,” he lied. “Unfortunately it was in terrible condition. Which is why I am still here, waiting for you to hand them over.” Demetri shook his head once more.
 
“What shall I receive in return, captain?” he asked skeptically, eyeing the man before him as he pushed himself away from the dresser. “It shan't be a small price, I tell you.”
 
“The ancient rubies of our…,” started the captain, quickly catching himself before he told Demetri of the parallel world. “The ancient rubies of my family,” he said, untying a bag from his belt and throwing it at the man across from him. “I can guarantee you that those rubies there are the finest you'll ever set eyes on. Of course me crew is searching for much larger treasure, which is why I be willin' to give `em to you so easily. What say you, Demetri?”
 
Demetri thought on this payment for a moment as he inspected the gems inside the bag, taking into consideration the high price he could receive if he sold the small, twenty-odd rubies within the bag. Of course he may be suspected of pilfering for having so many precious rubies, but that was a chance he was most willing to take. “First tell me the truth. You are indeed no merchant sailor, and neither are your crew. What is your true business here? How did you really come upon my sister?”
 
Noir's smirk at the man's consideration immediately disappeared as soon as these questions were asked. He knew that at some point Demetri would pester him about the truth, but he wasn't expecting it so soon. He sighed, sitting down and proceeding to tell his own shortened version of how they had bumped into each other.
 
 
Jack smiled at the girl, taking a seat at a barstool. “I see they've left you all by your onesies in here,” he pointed out. “That's not very gentlemanly.”
 
Aurora faked a laugh as she took a seat next to him. “Yes, they did… I think Noir thought I'd make my brother disbelieve him, or something like that,” she muttered, clearly annoyed. “Thanks for coming in, though. I can protect myself with magic just fine, but if anything happened, I fear I may become too scared to remember how to do anything.” She laughed awkwardly at this confession.
 
Jack pat the girl on the back, signaling the bartender to come over. “Anything to drink?” he asked. Aurora thanked him though she denied his offer. “Gimme your best dark liquor.” He waited patiently for the drink and nearly jumped out of his seat when it came. Apparently they don't drink on board often, Aurora thought.
 
“So, er, if you don't mind me asking… Why did you follow us? I thought it would just be me and Noir.” She looked to the man gratefully and quickly added, “I mean, I appreciate it and all.” Jack laughed and took a swig of his drink.
 
“Thought I'd tag along to get meself a drink. Noir usually doesn't mind. I say it's a good thing I did decide to come along, or you'd be in a pinch, eh?” He chuckled, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand after he finished his mug of liquor. “Suppose we should check on the captain then?”
 
Aurora immediately shook her head. “The look he gave me said to keep out of it until he comes back,” she said. “I don't want to get in trouble with him. He'd go easy on you, since you guys seem to be friends, but I don't want to ruin everything.” She hopped off of the stool and walked towards the door. “I think I might want to have a look at the shops. I've never been here before. To Caerni, I mean.” She smiled at Jack, who was still sitting at the bar. He chuckled, paid for his drink, and soon stood beside the girl.
 
“Shall we?” he asked kindly, holding his arm out for Aurora to take. She smiled shyly and took it as he escorted her out of the bar.
 
 
“I see,” said Demetri, scratching his chin thoughtfully. “So you were attacked, said attackers climbed aboard and stole all your supplies and maps, except one, so you sailed to the closest port located on that map to restock and you happened to come upon my sister.” He chuckled to himself, muttering very lowly, “Your crew mustn't be very good at sparring.” Noir wanted to snort at the man and show him just how well he sparred, but he felt his story convinced the man enough, and that was what he needed. “I suppose it's a fair trade, then. I've got copies of all my maps aboard the vessel I am sailing on. Meet me at the dock near night's mid, for I still have my businesses to attend to,” he said, holding a hand out as the two men closed the deal.
 
“Done,” said Noir, a triumphant smirk hiding behind his lips. “As you were, Mister Demetri,” he added, once more holding the door open for him. The crew were to find out my shame story, I'd be mutinied, he thought sourly. Ah, well. My lovely treasures, I shall soon find you. He chuckled to himself as he trotted down the stairs to return the room key to the owner. Looking around, he was quite shocked that the girl was no longer where he had left her.
 
“Damn girl,” he mumbled, his lip twitching. “Now I've got to go and find—” He stopped complaining as he walked towards the exit, seeing both the girl and his first mate, Jack, barely twenty feet in front of him. “Girl! Jack!” he called out angrily. Aurora turned at his voice and rolled her eyes, wondering what she had done wrong this time. “Why didn't you stay in the bar? I didn't give you permission to leave, girl.”
 
Aurora scoffed at his statement and angrily retorted, “One, my name is Aurora. Make a point to remember it. Second, you shouldn't have left me alone in a bar in the first place, Captain! Besides, we were just going to stop by some of the shops.” Noir made an annoyed look at the girl, then turned to glare at Jack, as if to say, `We'll continue this conversation later.'
 
“Let's go. Jack, round up the crew and tell `em to be back on the ship by sundown. Go, now.” Jack nodded and quickly left to find the rest of the crew, briefly sharing a confused look with Aurora. Noir's eyes narrowed dangerously as he grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her towards the shops.
 
“What are you doing? I can walk on my own without being held like a child!” she exclaimed, pulling away from Noir, though his grip only tightened. He wove her in and out of the crowd until she was literally dragging her heels on the ground. He stopped abruptly, causing her to stumble and nearly fall. She looked up and was surprised to see that Noir had grabbed her and pulled her up before she hit the ground.
 
“You can walk on your own, eh?” he mocked, a smirk on his face. Aurora turned red and muttered angrily to herself, carefully walking through the crowd to a clothing shop, though unaware that the captain was still following her. Once she made it to the front of the shop, she leaned in to push the door open, but was stopped by Noir. She looked up at him angrily.
 
“Darling, what money do you possess that I was not aware of?” he asked quietly. Aurora blushed and pulled her wrist out of his hand. “Why is it you need more clothing anyway?” Aurora shrugged.
 
“I'd like my own pair of breeches and tunic, thank you,” she said quietly, her cheeks still burning. He chuckled and grabbed her wrist once more, leading her into the shop. Huh? she thought to herself, confused. He's going to buy me clothes? Strange. He seemed irritated with me not ten minutes ago. Maybe he's bipolar, she thought, letting a chuckle escape her lips.
 
Noir turned slightly and raised a brow at her. “What is it that you find so funny, dear Aury?” He smirked as an annoyed look appeared on her face, knowing she hated that he knew her childhood nickname.
 
 
The captain had bought the girl three new pairs of brown breeches and white tunics. They had walked around the market for some time, occasionally buying, or for Noir, stealing supplies they may need. He turned to the girl as they walked out onto the sandy beach, eyeing her as sat down, stretching. Ah, yes, the tough life of a spoiled school girl, he thought mockingly.
 
The two sat on the beach admiring the view of the sun setting on the horizon. Noir blinked when the girl let out a very audible sigh next to him. He knew she had been watching him out of the corner of her eye. He smirked at the thought. “You should be careful,” he muttered. “If I was you, I wouldn't mistake our bargain for kindness.” She seemed hurt and confused by this, but surprisingly, she shrugged it off, her eyes wandering to the ship she'd sailed in on.
 
He saw her eyeing the ship, and instinctively bragged, “Her name's The Clever Dragon. Had her since me father passed away back home. `Twas about, six, seven years ago?” He mused quietly to himself, thinking back on his own world. He wondered how his mother and brother were doing, though he didn't particularly care. He left home as soon as he heard of his father's death and gathered up his own crew, kicking the remaining of his father's off. His mother had protested, but he knew she was lying when she told him that his father was lost at sea. If he was lost at sea, the rest o' the crew wouldn't `ave come back. His lip twitched and his eyebrows furrowed.
 
Aurora noticed Noir was deep in thought, and laughed to herself at the look on his face. His deep, blue eyes seemed hazy, not like the vibrant color they put off in the day. She was taken aback when his face suddenly contorted with anger. She wanted to reach out and ask if he was alright, but decided against it. Instead, she stood up and stretched, yawning in the process. “I think I'll head back to the ship now,” she announced, though she knew he did not particularly care. She was bewildered when he stood up and grabbed her wrist, looking her straight in the eyes. Aurora glanced down to the hand gripping her wrist, and thought, He has got to stop that.
 
“No, you stay,” he commanded, eyeing some of the crew returning to the ship. “It's near twilight,” he mumbled to himself, glancing up to see a crescent moon illuminate the sky. “Come.” He tentatively released her wrist and bid her to follow him. She did so, albeit reluctantly. “Your brother is quite easy to please, I've found,” he stated.
 
She raised an eyebrow, clearly confused. “What? Did you bribe him?!” she exclaimed. Noir laughed, his eyes holding mischief in them.
 
“You could call it trade,” he pondered. She made an annoyed face, though he shushed her before she could ask any more questions. “We're getting the maps and that's all that matters. I shall explain to you the rest later, for it's only one treasure we need find.” Aurora listened intently, almost missing the figure in the shadows under the dock. She gasped delightfully and ran to it when she realized it was Demetri, causing Noir's lip to twitch in annoyance. This girl will be the death of me if she keeps running off like that, he thought, approaching the man in a much slower manner. He smirked victoriously as his eyes roamed over the many maps Demetri held under his arm. Finally.