Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ A Letter To My Friend ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A Letter To My Friend
-
© 2008 Ohne Sie
 
 
Author's note: No, this has no basis on real events in any way, shape, or form. So don't ask.
 
Disclaimer: All characters, places, and events contained within this story are completely fictional and owned by me. Any resemblances to existing or future works are complete coincidental.
 
 
Last night was the last two AM phone call you'll ever get from me.
 
I'm sorry I'm such a wreck that I have had to call you once a week for the past four years, sobbing, in the middle of the night. I'm sorry that I interrupted your sleep and made you worry about me. I wish I was a better friend.
 
You're my best friend. You've always been my best friend. You've been there with me since we were in high school. You never judged me and you always listened, but last night was the last time you'll ever have to listen to me sob into the telephone about how horrible my life is.
 
I'm sorry it has to end this way, because I know you'll blame yourself. You're like that. You always think it's your fault. It isn't. This decision has nothing to do with you. It's just something I have to do.
 
Remember the good times. Remember the times when the group of us hung out at the park, watching people and making fun of them and the ridiculous things they wore. Remember sneaking off behind an abandoned building to smoke, and freaking out because we thought the smell might linger in our clothes and our parents might find out.
 
Remember the mall, and the havoc we used to wreak there, putting things where they didn't belong and touching everything in the stores we could find. I'm sure we drove the employees crazy, but we didn't care. Remember that.
 
Also remember the jokes we had. Remember the kangaroo feet, the robot pigs, and definitely remember all of those poor starving flamingoes out there. They need your love more than I do. Think of the flamingoes.
 
You can have a good life. I know you will. I never had that luxury. You know I haven't laughed in years. I've only held on because of you. I only felt a little better because of you. You can help people, I know it. I was just beyond your help.
 
You were there for me when my mother died. You stayed with me every night while she slowly slipped away. It was hard, but you were there for me. Thank you for that. It helped more than you could know.
 
And on my birthday, when nobody else seemed to care, you called me and wished me a happy birthday. Even though you were hundreds of miles away. I knew that you cared. I've always known that you cared. It's not about that.
 
You know me. I don't take things lightly. I deliberate about everything, and you have to know that this decision took me a long time. You know how long it took. But life is never a permanent thing. People die all the time, at different ages, so why should this be any different? I just decided that the pain far outweighs the pleasure of living, anymore. The one good thing in my life is you. I love you, but even you are no match for the horrible depression I've faced these past few years.
 
So tonight I'll call you one more time. But this time it won't be a long, drawn-out rant in your ear as you fight to stay awake. Tonight I will call your voicemail, and leave you this message. I'm sure you've already heard it, as you are reading this letter.
 
“In less than a minute I will kill myself. Don't bother trying to get me help because it will be quick. I wrote you a letter and left it in an envelope beside the abandoned house where we used to sneak off and smoke. I love you.”
 
I hope you find it. I hope you understand that none of this is, or was, your fault. It is just my time to go.
 
Goodbye, my friend. Maybe we'll meet again in another life.