Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ A Smile Is All It Took ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Untitled
 
“Why are we here?” he asked me staring up at the big sign shop.
 
“What do you mean? I thought you liked this kind of stuff.”
 
“I don't think that's the point here.”
 
Steven stared at me and stared back at the sign. It was a coffee shop where poets come and express themselves. He was exhausted from the late night he had before from when I dragged him out of his house and pulled him into a store filled with dark and morbid clothing, toys, furniture and so on and so on.
 
A few months ago we would always hang out and go to places like these but since the accident and seeing the blood shed that had laid before him that he had blamed on himself made him stop all the things he was interested in like going to coffee shops filled with young poets and everything alike.
 
“Do I really have to go in here tonight?”
 
“Do you plan in going in at all?”
 
“Not really.”
 
“Then yes.” I grabbed his hand and pulled him inside.
 
It was dark and not well lighted, something that I had expected. The shop was filled my nose with the fresh scent of coffee and of fresh baked goods. Steve groaned and I only laughed a bit. I sat him down at a vacant table where he just glared at me from across the table.
 
“It's impolite to stare.” I said at him calmly.
 
“You ever said I had to be polite to the likes of you.”
 
“You're not being very nice.”
 
“Who ever said I was nice?”
 
I nodded. “True.”
 
A couple seconds later a waitress with black raven hair and a black uniform had the name, “Lisa” on her nametag. We both gave her our orders; me with a cappuccino and Steve with only a cup of hot chocolate. He leaned over the table and stared me down. I could tell he wasn't in any moods for my games. As usual and normally I just gave him a casual smile with a small chuckle as I cocked my head to the side.
 
“Tina…”
 
I didn't answer; I just looked at him to let him know I was giving him my full attention.
 
“You're not going to make me share tonight are you? I don't have any poems with me.”
 
“You use to carry them with you all the time no matter what kind of jeans or hoodie you was wearing.”
 
“And what makes you think I might be carrying a poem with me?”
 
I sighed and shook my head. “Just be quiet you. I have your book of poems right here.” I said as I pulled out a small black book covered in band stickers.
 
He stared at me in shock, bet you wondering how I had his book of poems. Before he could open his mouth I answered his own question.
 
“It's a copy, calm down. I told you I liked all your poems. How'd you think I memorized most of them after hearing it once.”
 
He slides back into his seat sulking, mumbling a `You suck' comment knowing I could still hear it.
 
Lisa came back with our order. She gave Steve a small smile as she looked over at him while he had his arms crossed against his chest. Once again he mumbled and said thank you while he reached out for his cup.
 
“I think she might like you.”
 
Steve only stuck his tongue at me. It made me laugh. Slowly and slowly his old self comes out. I missed the old Steve. The one that would always help me find the newest CD's the one who would always live and now how to have fun in life and always looking on the brightside no matter how things got worse. But ever since that car accident, seeing the dead, bloody face of his twin he snapped and stopped being like himself. He started to be more… safe.
 
He stopped acting like himself and started to act like someone different, someone alien to me and the rest of our friends. Basically… he started to act more Michael than Steven. But now that my sister and me are trying to bring back the old Steve he slowly comes out. Bit-by-bit I'm able to see my old friend again.
 
“My I please leave.” He started to whine in that nasally little voice he always used when he didn't want to do something.
 
“No.” I shushed him.
 
A tall, thin man in a black turtleneck and jeans with a black hat walked up on stage. He had sat down on the stool and tapped on the microphone only once to get everyone's attention towards him. Steve looked up with those blue child-like eyes while I only had to turn around. The man cleared his throat and announced his name as `David'. He began his poem. It was deep and understanding. Most people would of thought that it was weird or inappropriate.
 
Steve mumbled.
 
When David was finish everyone snapped their fingers, even Steve which made me smile. A woman now came up to the stage to announce the next person. When she announced the name Steven and Tina I smiled and stood up holding the copy of Steve's poem book.
 
He stared at me. “No… oh no….” He mouthed and began to shake his head.
 
I smirked and pulled him up along with me. We passed through a few tables to reach the stairs for the stage. He looked down. Thank god I was able to talk him into wearing the black outfit he buried deep in the back of his closet. We stood infront of the café. The woman brought another mic for me as we both took our seats in the two stools.
 
I held the mic close to my lips. “We would like to read you a poem we had written together back in our sophomore year.”
 
I took a pause to look over at Steve who was ready while I had to open up the page in the book for him.
 
I took a breath. “I look into your eyes…”
 
“As I look into yours…”
 
“Your heart speaks to me”
 
“As yours speak to mine.”
 
“It says take me”
 
“It says love me”
 
“Please don't regret me.”
 
“Please don't break me.”
 
“I look into your heart to see your soul.”
 
“I look into your eyes to see your heart.”
 
“Our hearts become one.”
 
“Our thoughts become one.”
 
“Two hearts.”
 
“One mind.” We said in unison.
 
Steve stood up and bowed as the crowed snapped their fingers. I stood and he took my hand as we both took a bow together. I had a smiled on my face and I could see a smile on his. A smile… a real smile; the smile that my Steven would of given me. That night in many months I was able to see the real Steven McCoy.