Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ An Angel's Remains ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Myara hoped she hadn't made a mistake. She walked into the practice hall at five as was her usual custom and found Dalziel waiting there.
 
“I was wondering if you'd show up or not, since you are in my class now.”
 
She wore another set of practice clothes and hadn't bothered bringing her swords or extra clothes, since she'd left her bag here. “You hadn't told me not to come so I didn't want to leave you waiting or anything. Do you still want to spar?”
 
“It might be best to spar during classes now. You can warm up by helping me with the others. Or I guess you could just spar with Sabin. He's going to be assisting me for a while.”
 
Myara was surprised. “Really?”
 
“Yes, I was surprised myself when he suddenly decided he wanted to do a little bit of instructing instead of going home and getting ready to fight demons. I have a feeling that whatever you said to him made him want to stay here.”
 
“He didn't tell you?” she asked, somewhat relieved.
 
Dalziel shook his head. “No, he said it was personal. I don`t suppose you could tell me.”
 
She shook her head and told him, smiling in relief, “I'd prefer not to. I`m not even sure if I should have said it, but I guess I was right.”
 
Dalziel smiled faintly. “I guess so. He seemed to think you were very perceptive.”
 
Myara was glad she was right, but it was going to be hard to proceed from this point on. She didn't want to just come out and say she might be Sabriel, who may or may not have existed, even though she was pretty sure the dreams were at least somewhat true. Even if she were somehow the same person from her dreams, she was Myara now. She couldn't just cast that aside. She didn't realize she was thinking so hard until her thoughts were interrupted.
 
“Are you all right?” Dalziel was studying her face closely.
 
“Oh, yes. I'm fine. Are you sure you won't do one last match today, since I'm here?”
 
Dalziel took a moment to decide and then said, “All right, one last match.”
 
Myara was glad. She had a lot of energy she needed to get rid of or she'd never be able to settle down to doing her homework and going to sleep. It seemed like their match lasted longer than usual.
 
When they finished Dalziel commented, “It seems like you've improved a little. I almost think you've been holding back on me, after seeing you fight with Sabin earlier.”
 
Myara slowly put away her things. “Maybe you should try sparring my double blades sometime. I'm much better with those. Something about them just feels right.”
 
Dalziel smiled congenially. “You should bring them to your advanced class from now on. We encourage students to practice with the weapons they'll actually be using.”
 
Sabriel told him, “I'll remember to do that then. I'll see you tomorrow. Time for me to hit the showers.”
 
Dalziel nodded. “See you.”
 
***
 
Myara joined her special class in Ivory Hall during the third hour of the day. Unfortunately, it was when she normally would have gone to Mr. Halley's class. She was sure she was going to miss his class although she was really interested to see what her new class would be like. She had never seen the instructor before. He was a tall blond of exceptionally good looks. He looked younger than a lot of the other teachers. Myara had brought a notebook but she didn't have any books for this class. None had been assigned. She went to the instructor's desk.
 
He smiled when he saw her. “You must be the new student.”
 
Myara returned his smile and said, “Yes, they didn`t tell me what I`d be doing in this class though.”
 
He got to his feet. “I'm Valerian Karith. I'm technically the instructor, but I really spend most of my time supervising the students in this class while they pursue their studies. You'll spend most of your time learning invocations in the celestial language and learning techniques for protection against demons. Occasionally I do lectures that you'll be expected to pay attention to and we have a test every quarter to see how you're doing. After you've been in this class for four full quarters you'll be expected to take a bigger test and if you pass they'll move you into the class above this one.”
 
“That doesn't sound too bad, but how exactly are we supposed to study that sort of thing on our own?” She couldn't help be feel a little confused by his explanation.
 
He motioned to a bookcase against the wall. “The students in this class are permitted to study from those books but you can't take them out of the room. There's a library that we visit once a week as well.” As the bell rang for the beginning of class he turned face the rest of the class, resting a hand on Myara's shoulder. The students slid into their seats and grew silent as they looked up at Myara and their instructor. “Everyone, this is our new student. Myara Selwyn. Please be nice to her and help her out until she gets used to things.” He told Myara. “You can take one of those empty seats in the back.”
 
Myara did as he said, choosing a seat at random.
 
Mr. Karith addressed the class. “Today is going to be the same as any other. Please begin your studying and I'll help those that need it.”
 
The other students got to their feet and went to small cubbies on the wall where there were books stored. Myara hesitantly got to her feet.
 
Mr. Karith joined her. “The students each have a designated cubby with a basic workbook and whatever books they may have taken off the shelves that they wish to continue studying from. There is a one week limit on holding books though. Find a cubby with an empty name tag and write your name there. When you finish the work book, turn it in to me and I'll grade the exercises for you and give you a short test. If you do well, I'll give you the next workbook.”
 
He had explained her questions before she even asked them. She felt just a little overwhelmed. “Thank you Mr. Karith.”
 
“Yes, no problem.” He turned away and went back to his desk.
 
Myara went to one of the cubbies that was free, taking out the workbook that was there. It wasn't professional quality but it was decently bound. It looked like it had been made at the school probably. Myara took it back to her desk and opened it up. She shouldn't have been surprised that the symbols that they were studying were the same as the ones she dreamed about. It was like looking at writing in a language she used to know well but had begun to forget.
 
The first part of the book was working on some basic symbols. Learning to write them correctly and memorize their meaning. They had the symbols printed big with the English pronunciation and meaning smaller underneath and the rest of the page was space to practice writing them. Myara started on the first symbol. Light. She had a feeling that once she wrote out these symbols several times each, she wasn't going to forget them. She was extremely eager for that to happen. Maybe it would make some other things clearer. She wanted to remember everything that she felt she'd forgotten. Some she didn't recognize quite as quickly as others, though there was a vague familiarity to them, and she recognized the pronunciation in English to some even though she hadn't remembered the symbol right away. She focused on remembering how to read, write, and say each symbol as she wrote them out.
 
There were only eight symbols in that first section so Myara finished them in the first half hour of class pretty easily. After that first section was a section of basic protective invocations using the symbols they'd just learned. They had to practice writing them and it said that once they were memorized they had to practice them out loud with an instructor helping. They weren't to practice saying them alone.
 
Myara read through them slowly, using the phonetics underneath to help. She realized after a minute that she recognized several of them, although they weren't exactly the same as she remembered saying them. She wondered if they were allowed to write down things from their workbooks to practice outside of class or if they weren't supposed to. She turned to the student sitting next to her. She seemed to be engrossed in a page in her work book. Most of the students seemed pretty engrossed in the things they were reading as Myara looked around.
 
Mr. Karith was sitting at his desk, reading from something that looked like it was written in celestial.
 
Myara got to her feet and went to his desk. “Excuse me Mr. Karith.”
 
He looked up. “Yes, do you have a question?”
 
Myara nodded. “I was wondering if we're allowed to write down things from our work books into our own notebooks to practice outside of class. I mean, the workbooks aren't supposed to leave the room, so I wondered if it was okay for our notes to leave class.”
 
Mr. Karith told her, “Notes are fine, just as long as you don't tell anyone who hasn't been recruited what they're for.”
 
Myara was glad. “Oh good. Thank you.” She went back to her seat and took out her notebook. She wrote down the invocations and their pronunciations and meanings. She would memorize them after school when she did her other homework. She moved on to the next set of symbols. They weren't much harder than the ones previous. She was most of the way through them when the bell rang for lunch. She followed the example of the other students and put her things away. Everyone seemed to be so focused, there wasn't much talking.
 
One of the guys joined her as they were leaving. “Kind of weird isn't it?” he asked as they walked from the room.
 
Myara looked over at him. He seemed like he was just trying to be friendly. She said, “It does take a little getting used to I guess. Everyone is so serious in there.”
 
Her classmate told her, “Oh, that's because Wednesday is the last study day of the week. Tomorrow is practical application day and Friday is library day.”
 
Myara asked, “So tomorrow is when we can practice things out loud with the teacher?”
 
The student nodded. “Yeah, the students who progress the fastest get to go on a special trip at the end of each semester. It's sort of an incentive to work hard. It works too.”
 
“Oh, I see. So that's why everyone was like that today. So what was your name?”
 
“I'm Greg. Nice to meet you.” He offered her his hand and she took it.
 
“You too.” She released his hand so they could continue walking.
 
“So did they stick you in a bladefighting class too?” he asked, opening the doors for her.
 
“Yeah. I'm in Dalziel's class.” She stepped out into the sunlight and pulled her uniform jacket around her a little tighter as a cool fall breeze blew across her bare legs. She shivered slightly.
 
Greg stepped out behind her. “You must be pretty good to be in his class.”
 
Myara shrugged and told him, trying to be modest, “I'd like to think I'm pretty good. But I'm not the best quite yet.”
 
He asked her, “Did they show you any demons yet? They showed me some demons so I'd believe. It was creepy.”
 
“No, they didn't have to show me anything. I believed them. My grandfather is a priest for the Temple of Skye and I follow their beliefs.”
 
Greg commented, “I'm not sure if that makes you lucky or unlucky. You might not be prepared for it the first time you see a demon if you've never seen one.”
 
Myara thought about all her dreams, where she visited the demon world and fought with the denizens of that world. She didn't think the real thing would be much different from that. Actually, she didn't see how the reality could be worse. She told Greg, smiling faintly, “I guess I'll deal with it when it happens. If I study hard, I'm sure I'll be more than prepared.”
 
“Well, for your sake, I hope so too. Do you want to join some of us for lunch? Those of us who've been recruited tend to stick together.”
 
Myara didn't see any problem with that, since she didn't know where Jenny was at the moment anyways. “Sure.”
 
***
 
Myara's last class of the day was her advanced bladefighting class. Unlike her previous class, where they'd used practice swords and gear for safety, she expected that this one was more lenient. That was why she brought her double swords to the training hall. Myara sat her bag down in the locker rooms and looked around at her classmates as she began to change.
 
A slender brunette nearby gave her a welcoming smile. “You're the new girl who's friends with Jason right?” she asked.
 
Myara nodded. She didn't consider herself great friends of Jason, but they were at least acquaintances.
 
A tall, auburn haired girl scoffed at the two of them and seemed to look at Myara with a particular coldness. “I heard you're that girl who's been sparring privately with Dalziel.”
 
Myara noticed more than one person looked at her curiously. Even the friendly girl looked curious. Myara shrugged. “He couldn't let me into the senior team before so I asked him to spar with me. It's not a big deal.”
 
Alicia scowled. “Well, he doesn't do that with everyone else. I don't know why you should be special.” She picked up a dull katana sitting on the bench and walked away.
 
The slender brunette gave Myara an apologetic look. “You'll have to excuse her. She has this huge thing for Dalziel.”
 
Hearing that made things a lot clearer. “Oh, thanks. What's your name? I didn't catch it yet.”
 
“I'm Lanette,” she told Myara. She pulled on a tank-top and then straightened out her practice clothes. “You are?” she asked.
 
“Myara.” Myara hurriedly changed as Lanette folded up her uniform and tucked it away in her locker. It seemed like Lanette was deliberately taking her time and Myara appreciated it.
 
“Ready?” Lanette asked. Myara tucked her uniform into her bag hurriedly and zipped it.
 
“Yeah, thanks.”
 
***
 
Sabin was standing off to the side of the room with Dalziel when Myara came out of the girls' locker room with Lanette.
 
Lanette saw Sabin and said, “Man, he might be better looking than even Dalziel. I heard he's going to be instructing for a while. It's hard to believe isn't it?”
 
Myara nodded. “Yeah, it really is. I'm going to go see if he'll spar with me.”
 
Lanette smiled faintly and said, “You could ask, but I've heard he doesn't spar with students.”
 
Myara glanced over at Lanette and said, “Maybe he'll make an exception.” She didn't mention that she'd already sparred with him once.
 
Lanette told her, “Well, if you're going to ask, maybe you should see if Dalziel has anything planned for class before you do.”
 
Myara paused and realized that Lanette was right. “Yeah, you're right. It might be sort of rude of me to ask him that before class starts. I should start on my stretches anyways, like everyone else.” She and Lanette took up spots on the far side of the room and sat down their practice weapons before class started. Lanette used a katana for her practice.
 
Myara worked on her stretches, she didn't want to pull anything now that she'd gotten into a class where there were actually people who could match her. She really wanted to spar with Sabin again but it might be selfish to assume that she'd be the only one to spar with him. He was an instructor now. He might feel he had to pay attention to all of their students.
 
Dalziel called out, “Can I have everyone's attention for a minute.”
 
Myara finished her stretches and got to her feet.
 
When everyone's attention had turned to him Dalziel went on. “We have a new instructor who will be working with the advanced students only. Some of you have already met him. Please address him as Mr. Pierce unless he directs you otherwise. Now, for today, I want everyone to pair off. We're going to work on some techniques that may be new to most of you.”
 
Lanette looked to Myara. “Want to be my partner.”
 
Myara supposed she'd just have to wait to ask Sabin to spar with her. From what Dalziel had said, she'd thought she might be able to practice with him during class a lot. She supposed that would make the other students jealous though. She just had to be patient. Sabin had decided to stay after all. That alone should be enough. Myara told Lanette. “Yeah, sure.” They partnered up for the class. There was an uneven number so Dalziel worked with one of the top students, using him for an example and letting his partner practice on him after the others in the class started practicing.
 
Sabin went around the room correcting students, his eyes even more critical than Dalziel.
 
After his partner had gotten some practice, Dalziel also began going around the room.
 
Dalziel joined Myara and Lanette, using Myara as an example as he showed Lanette how to make the correct movements. Before he left he told Myara, “I'd like to talk to you before you leave today, so hang around for a bit after class.”
 
Myara nodded. “Sure.” She wondered if he might want to arrange for her to get some more practice time in during class. He already knew from their practices together that this stuff was pretty easy for her. She hoped so. She wanted to get better. She knew she could be better. Class ended and Myara told Lanette. “I'll see you tomorrow okay. I should go chat with Dalziel.”
 
Lanette smiled and raised her hand in a perfunctory wave goodbye. “See you.”
 
Myara joined Dalziel. Sabin was standing there off to the side. He was looking out one of the windows, seeming not to notice anything and giving off an aura of being unapproachable. A couple of students looked like they might have approached to talk to him anyways but he glanced at them coolly as if he'd heard their thoughts and they seemed to change their minds quickly. Myara asked Dalziel. “What did you want to talk to me about?”
 
Dalziel glanced at the other students filtering out of the room. They were far enough away that they probably wouldn't be able to hear the conversation. Dalziel told her, “I've been considering how to allow you the practice you need without being unfair to the other students and I've discussed it with Sabin. We've decided it would be much easier for us to train you if you were actually put in an official position, something that would make it seem normal. So if it's all right with you, I'd like to talk with the school administrator about making you an assistant instructor for this class. You'll just help us with the other students and when we're doing sparring or anything, you'll be able to pair off with me or Sabin.”
 
Myara had never thought of anything like that. She thought maybe she liked the idea though. She wouldn't have to stand around practicing moves she already knew and she would get to spar with the instructors. No one could complain if an assistant instructor sparred with the instructors. She smiled. “That sounds like a good idea to me. Thank you very much for making the offer.”
 
Dalziel shrugged. “Well, if you're good enough to be a sparring partner for me or Sabin, then you're much better than most of the other students we have here. It would be unfair to neglect your training completely. You do still have room for improvement.”
 
Myara replied, trying not to let the praise go to her head, “I understand. I'm glad you came up with a solution. So should I do anything different tomorrow?”
 
Dalziel told her, “Just wait. I need to get the administrator's permission first. Even if he says yes, he may have some caveats to add.”
 
Myara nodded. “All right. I'll see you in class tomorrow then.” She glanced at Sabin but he didn't seem inclined to even say goodbye. He was more surly than when she'd dreamed about him.
 
Dalziel said, “See you tomorrow Myara.” She left them and went to the locker rooms to shower. Since it was the last class, she could take her time.
 
***
 
Sabin looked to Dalziel. “I don't understand how she got to be so much better than the other humans who you train. She seems so normal.”
 
Dalziel told him, “Don't be fooled by her appearance. You should see some of the artwork she made of the celestial and demon worlds. It's like she was there. If she has some kind of sight, who knows what other talents might be under the surface.”
 
Sabin actually relaxed a little at that. “Some kind of sight. I guess that would explain how she's a good fighter, and some other things too.” He wondered if it was something she could control, or if it just happened. What did she know about Sabriel?
 
Dalziel asked, “You mean that thing you wouldn't tell me about?”
 
Sabin nodded. “Yeah.” He knew Dalziel was still curious but he really didn't want to talk about Sabriel. Not many of the other celestials knew about his relationship with her, even after he returned to Celestial City to repent for his fallen status. Some of the other celestials still mistrusted him because of that, but the color of an angel's wings was an unmistakable indication of the state of their heart. His had turned completely white the day that Sabriel died and they had been that way since. Her death had allowed him to rid himself of his dark emotions and he had been left with only love and sorrow. Only recently had he started having relationships with other celestial women, and that reluctantly at the encouragement of his friends.
 
Dalziel sighed and looked as though he were thinking about something that was bothering him. “She wouldn't tell me what it was about either,” Dalziel told him.
 
“You asked her about it?” Sabin inquired, not too surprised.
 
Dalziel nodded. “Yes, it seemed strange that you decided to stay after that and she ran off so quickly. I asked her about it but she didn't want to talk about it.”
 
Sabin rested his hands behind his head and said, “I wonder if she'll let us in on her secret eventually.”
 
Dalziel shrugged. “Who knows. Even with that to consider though, she's still just a student. She has a lot to learn before she can face any demons.”
 
***
 
She sat at her desk, working on some of her unfinished pictures. It seemed so strange, not dreaming about that other place the way she used to. She missed it. It really was like part of her life had ended. But maybe it was fitting that they ended right about the time when the dreams seemed to be merging with her current life. She heard Jenny's alarm go off and she put her drawings aside. She wanted to head over to the training hall while it was empty and get a little practice in. Ever since she'd sparred with Sabin, her practices felt a little different. It was like when she practiced there was a pressure building inside her. The thing was, she didn't want to hold it back. She was just waiting for it to do something. It was the waiting that was bothering her.
 
***
 
Myara walked into her special class in Ivory Hall and found most of the students already there, looking over their books anxiously. She joined her classmate Greg. He was one of the few who wasn't studying furiously.
 
He smiled when she joined him. “Hey.” He greeted her. He introduced her to the girl and boy standing with him. “This is Michelle and Cory.”
 
Michelle nodded to Myara politely, her soft brown ringlets bobbing.
 
Cory smiled and tossed back his almost shoulder length hair. “Nice to meet you.” He sounded full of confidence.
 
Myara returned their polite guestures with a smile. “Nice to meet you too. Are none of you doing practical application today?”
 
Greg told her, “Well, everyone has to do something today, except maybe you since yesterday was your first day.”
 
Cory added, “Unlike these crammers, we're already prepared.”
 
“Oh, I see. Well, I'm prepared too actually. This first section seemed easy, so I memorized it last night,” Myara told them. She didn't want to say that she already knew how to speak some celestial, even though it was true. It was a difficult thing to explain.
 
Michelle said, “You must have been pretty dedicated to memorize the first section in one night. Don`t feel too bad though if he corrects you.”
 
“I'm sure it won't be perfect,” Myara replied. She took her seat as the bell rang.
 
Mr. Karith got up from his desk. He went to the front of the class and said, “All right. Today is practical applications day. I'll be coming around starting with the first row, everyone else please study quietly until it's your turn.” Mr. Karith started with the front row. Most of the students there had already gotten their workbooks out.
 
Myara got up for her work book and took her seat once again. She moved on to where she'd been in the second section. She didn't think she needed any more practice on the first section. She couldn't focus though when she was listening to people speaking celestial. Whenever their instructor spoke the invocations she felt a stirring of celestial power that made her skin tingle. Sometimes when a student said it they got it almost right and a few of them did get it right but the stirring of power was so faint it almost wasn't there. She could almost feel the locations of the marks on their bodies.
 
Her dreams and her reality really were coming together if she was beginning to notice things like that. Mr. Karith spent about five to ten minutes on each student. There were about sixteen of them, so he had to cut some of them short so that he'd be able to get through all of them. She couldn't help but notice how nonchalantly some of the students said the invocations. It was like they didn't know what they were for. She hoped he got to her, he might not think she was going to do anything today. She really wanted to try saying the invocations out loud though. She wanted to see if what happened was the same as in her dreams. She was almost sure she could do it the same. She waited impatiently, looking up at the clock.
 
It was the last couple of minutes when Mr. Karith got to her. He came to her seat. “Would you like to wait till next week to try Myara?” He asked.
 
Myara shook her head. “Actually, I'd like to try a couple of them from the first section today, if you don't mind. I don't think it will take long.”
 
He looked surprised. “Well, if you really want to. We won't have much time to go over them though.”
 
“That's okay. Do you mind if I start with the first one?” she asked.
 
Mr. Karith told her, “Go ahead. You can look at the book if you need to.”
 
Myara closed the workbook, it wasn't on the right page anyways. “That's all right.” She sat up in her chair and took a deep breath. All the invocations started with the same word. It was one of the words that made it an invocation and not a sentence just said in celestial. She spoke the first word and felt that power inside her that had been just waiting begin to move. She spoke the invocation of protection and felt the streams of power flow through her body with a fierce strength. But this was how it should feel, she just knew it. She felt her body growing lighter as she finished the invocation and said the sealing word. The moment she said it the power surrounded her. The students seemed oblivious. Their attention was drawn to the windows as the glass cracked. But Myara was also oblivious to them. She was too busy remembering the sensation of having celestial power. This was what it had been like when she dreamed about it, but it was something she hadn't quite remembered when she woke. It was such a wonderful sensation. She could have sat there all day.
 
Mr. Karith rested a hand on her shoulder and she could feel his power trying to close hers off. “Myara, if you can stop, you should.”
 
Myara came back to reality, such as it was, when she realized what he was saying. She closed her eyes and clasped her hands together as she drew the power back in. It was much slower work to pull it in than it was to let it out.
 
The bell rang and Mr. Karith said, “Don`t worry about the windows, you`re all dismissed.” The students were all still chattering about the glass which had suddenly cracked but they hadn't connected it to the new student's practice.
 
They left the room and Myara finished pulling her power in while Mr. Karith gave cold looks to the students who were waiting for her to join them. Myara felt a little embarrassed. She knew she'd done things right, but she didn't seem to have as much control over the consequences as she would have thought. She told Mr. Karith, “I'm sorry about that. I didn't think that I'd have so little control.”
 
Mr. Karith took his hand off her shoulder. “Well, you seem in control now, that's good.” He got up and went to the door. Myara thought he was going to leave but instead he closed and locked the door.
 
She got to her feet. “Mr. Karith?”
 
He turned to her. “I'm sorry, but I don't want any nosey students overhearing our conversation.”
 
Myara sat back down in her seat. “Oh, I see.”
 
Mr. Karith came and sat in the chair from the desk next to hers crossing one leg over the other. He studied her for a moment and then said with a sigh. “This is quite a dilemma. I suppose the first thing I should do is ask you if you understand what you just did?”
 
Myara was a little bit confused at the question. “I did the invocation, just like I was supposed to, but I used more power than I was supposed to. Right?”
 
He rested his arm on the desk beside him and then rested his head on his hand. “Yes, technically that's what happened. But you see, most of the students are using borrowed power when they do invocations. Do you get what I'm saying?”
 
Myara realized what he meant after a moment. How naïve of her not to think of it sooner. If she were to assume that her instructors were celestials, and the students were humans… then that must be what he meant by borrowed power. She hadn't had much contact with humans in her dreams. She'd always fought in the celestial or demon world. Could humans possess celestial power on their own? She was sure she'd probably have known if she remembered everything, but she was drawing a blank on the issue. She studied Mr. Karith and asked, “Are you not human Mr. Karith?”
 
He smiled faintly. “Well, technically I'm not supposed to answer a question like that but I think you already know if you're asking. So do you understand what my dilemma is?”
 
Myara asked, “You mean because I'm not using borrowed power?”
 
He nodded. “Yes, because if you're not using borrowed power, it means you're not human either.”
 
Myara was a little surprised at hearing him say that but then she actually smiled and laughed. “I'm not human?” she asked.
 
Mr. Karith looked unamused. “I'm completely serious. You know what you did but you don't believe me?”
 
Myara told him, “It's not that exactly. I can assure you that I was born of human parents. I am human, but… there is something else, but it's confusing and I don't really understand it. I don't think a stranger is going to understand Mr. Karith. No offense.”
 
“Well, I'm not taking offense, but I'm going to have to tell the administrator something or he's going to wonder how my windows got broken.”
 
Myara glanced at the windows. That was her fault, she realized. She turned back to Mr. Karith. “I'm afraid it will sound strange if I say it out loud Mr. Karith. If I tell you, you have to swear yourself to secrecy. It won't put anyone in danger if you don't tell them, I promise. But I'd feel uncomfortable if people know about it.”
 
Mr. Karith took a deep breath. “All right. I swear I won't tell anyone, as long as not telling won't hurt anyone. Now will you tell me this secret.”
 
Myara knew he wouldn't break a promise like that. Any celestial worth their wings wouldn't swear to something they had no intention of doing. “I wonder if you ever heard of someone called Sabriel Alaranth, also known as Esperia?”
 
He seemed to think about it for a minute. “The name is vaguely familiar, but it doesn't sound like something you should know.”
 
“Probably not. I don't know how it works really, but I have her memories, though they aren't very clear sometimes. I've been remembering them every night when I sleep for the past seven years or more. They ended recently, because she died. I`m pretty sure she existed though, because I recognized a couple of the celestials I`ve seen in school and the things I know about them are true.” Myara studied Mr. Karith's face. He seemed to be thinking very hard. Myara wondered what he was thinking.
 
He closed his eyes for a minute. “That is interesting. Which celestials did you recognize?”
 
Myara told him, “I recognized Evan Arienon first, though he was calling himself Evan Arron. And through him I found Sabin. So far it's been just those two. It`s ironic, if I hadn`t come to this school, I probably would have thought they were just dreams.”
 
Mr. Karith smiled faintly. “I doubt it was a coincidence that you came to this school. So you have this celestial`s memories. Do you feel like the two of you are the same person?”
 
Myara shrugged. “I don't know. It seems that way sometimes when I remember things or when I do things that she did, but I'm still me. I wouldn't go around calling myself Sabriel. That's why I don't really want people to know. I want some of the people she knew to realize that we're the same, but I still want to be myself. I told you it was confusing.”
 
Mr. Karith nodded. “Yes, it is. So the power you were using, it was hers?”
 
“Yes, I think so. It felt almost the same.”
 
Mr. Karith lifted his head off his hand. “Almost? Well, I'd imagine using celestial power through a human body would feel different, at least at first. I'm sure your body will accustom itself eventually. Most likely you'll end up living as long as a celestial because of it. Our students tend to have extended lives as it is.” He asked her. “So do you already know the celestial language? Is this class a waste of time for you?”
 
Myara shook her head. “No, I do remember it some and much of it seems familiar, but it's like learning a language I used to know and it's not always the same as I remember it. I think I'd like to stay if you don't mind.”
 
“That's fine, but please leave off the first and last word when you practice, I'd like no more broken windows.” He got to his feet.
 
Myara stood. “Thank you for agreeing to keep my secret Mr. Karith. I've wanted to tell someone for a while.”
 
“Well, it does seem like the sort of thing that might cause more trouble by bringing out in the open, especially for you. It would be better to wait a while, until you're more comfortable.”
 
“I appreciate it. So what will you tell the administrator about the windows?”
 
Mr. Karith told her, “I'll just have to tell him that we have a student with a strong bond to the celestial world, nothing more than that. It does happen sometimes. Of course, the first time another celestial sees you using that kind of power, they may guess that's not all it is. Just try not to overdo it in front of them and their own belief that you're a human will probably keep them from realizing right away.”
 
Myara asked, “So you still think I'm not completely human?”
 
He told her, walking through the aisles of desks. “I don't know. I wouldn't call you a celestial, not unless you suddenly developed the ability to manifest wings, but you aren't normal. Perhaps we can figure it out as we go along.”
 
Myara smiled. “Well thanks. I guess that will just have to be good enough for now. I'll see you in class tomorrow Mr. Karith.”
 
Mr. Karith sat down at his desk and waved. “I'll see you tomorrow.”
 
Myara took her notebook and left the classroom, unlocking the door and then closing it behind her, leaving Mr. Karith to his thoughts.
 
***
 
 
Myara joined her bladefighting class. Almost the moment she came out of the locker rooms Dalziel approached her.
 
“I got permission. You're going to have to wear a name tag or some sort of clothing that distinguishes you as an assistant instructor while you're in this class. That's the only thing he said he wanted us to do. So here, just use this for now.”
 
Myara took a paper name tag from him that had Assistant Instructor Selwyn written on it and peeled it off the paper as she said, “Fine with me.”
 
“Good, now we just have to let the rest of the class know, and today is a sparring day so after you spar with a few of the students, you can spar with Sabin.” He smiled at her and patted her on the shoulder encouragingly.
 
Myara smiled at that. “Well that's a nice bonus,” she said. She joined Dalziel and Sabin to the side of the practice hall.
 
Dalziel waited until it looked like everyone had gathered in the practice hall and said, “Excuse me everyone.” They all looked to him so he continued. “The administrator has authorized me to assign Miss Selwyn as an assistant instructor in this class, because of her strong background in martial arts and bladefighting. So please treat her respectfully from now on and listen to what she has to say.”
 
Myara hoped this went over well. She felt a little bit uncomfortable with almost everyone staring at her with such surprised looks. Only Jason and Kavan didn't look as surprised as the others to see a freshmen acting as assistant instructor. Of course, Jason was considered at the top of the class at the moment by the other students and she'd beaten him pretty soundly before, and Kavan had seen it too. Even though some of the others had been there for the tryouts for the junior team, they'd all been busy at that time. Myara just hoped things would work out. She realized that Dalziel was speaking still and caught the tail end.
 
“…pairs and practice your sparring. Everyone will get to spar at least one of us.” Dalziel turned to Myara and Sabin. “For today, since it's the first day for both of you to spar with the class, just make sure they know they're outmatched. I don't want anyone getting any ideas about either of your levels of ability. And I think after you each spar with a few people, you should have a match yourselves, just to make sure the message gets across.”
 
Myara asked, “Should I use double blades for the matches?”
 
Dalziel nodded. “Yeah. For today do that at least, since you're not going to be taking it easy on them.”
 
Myara clasped her hands together and stretched her arms out in front of herself, cracking her knuckles. “All right.” She was feeling pretty good about the idea of finally getting to do some real practice.” She looked up as Kavan joined her.
 
“I was wondering if I could have a match with you?” he asked tentatively.
 
Myara wasn't sure if she should be flattered that he'd asked her or insulted that he might think he could beat her but he looked like he didn't mean it to be taken badly so she smiled. “Sure. Just let me get a couple of minutes of stretching in first.”
 
Kavan looked pleased. “All right, I'll be waiting over there with Jason.” He walked away from them.
 
Sabin commented when he was out of hearing. “Do you suppose he's underestimating the assistant instructor?”
 
Dalziel shrugged. “Who knows.”
 
Myara gave herself some space to stretch out and said, considering the possibilities, “He knows I beat Jason, maybe he just wants to compare himself to his rival.”
 
Dalziel looked over sharply, frowing. “When did you fight with Jason?”
 
Myara didn't like that look so she told him quickly, defending herself, “It was during the tryouts. He did a warm up match with me.”
 
Dalziel relaxed and his frown disappeared. “Oh I see. Well, I guess I'll start with the bottom of the class.”
 
Myara watched him go as she sat down to stretch. Sabin was doing some leisurely stretches not far from where she was. She watched him for a moment and then teased, half serious. “You'd better really get warmed up before our match. If you're not careful, I might beat you today.” She was remembering that burst of power that had broken from her during her third hour. It hadn't returned to it's previous place. That power was hers now, waiting for her to use it. She knew she couldn't use it as good as Sabriel in her dreams yet, but it was going to make a difference in her fighting.
 
Sabin actually smiled faintly but he snorted. “You're pretty cocky today. I guess I'll have to be harder on you today than I was before.”
 
Myara got to her feet and told him, tossing her ponytail back. “Fine by me. I won't be put down that easily.” She walked across the room to join Kavan. She was going to take care of these new assistant instructor duties and then she'd fight Sabin. She might not be able to beat him still, but she was going to come as close as she could. She was going to be as good as Sabriel, or even better.
She finished her match with Kavan rather quickly.
 
He sighed whimsically and then smiled. “You were even faster than before. My chances of beating you just keep getting worse and worse.”
 
Myara told him, slightly apologetic, “Well, I'm sort of in a hurry today. We can spar again though whenever you'd like.”
 
“Thanks. I'll look forward to it,” he replied.
 
Myara sparred with a couple others who didn't seem to take being beaten by a freshman girl nearly so well. She found Sabin waiting when she was done.
 
“All right kid, it's our turn now,” he told her.
 
She scowled at him and place a hand on her hip. “Kid?”
 
He shrugged and nodded toward the far side of the room where there wasn't anyone practicing. “You want to spar or not?”
 
She glared at him and then turned her back on him and walked over. She turned to face him once she felt she'd reached a point far enough from everyone else.
 
He strolled over leisurely, smiling . When he finally stood across from her he asked, “Are you ready?”
 
She nodded, standing in a ready position.
 
He attacked her fast and hard, his blade ringing against hers.
 
She matched him in ferocity. She felt that power running through her body, filling her veins. It was so exhilarating. This was what she'd been trying to achieve with her training. The celestial power didn't just give her energy, it made her faster and stronger too. She was able to keep up to him now. It gave her that much of a boost.
 
He went even faster, his aura growing stronger as he used his own power to try and surpass her.
 
She pushed herself to keep up with him, her double blades whipping through the air. She pulled on more of her own power, containing it within her skin. She began to tire much faster than she'd expected to. She couldn't maintain it, that level of power. She made one last furious attack but it didn't seem to do any good.
 
He sent one of her blades flying through the air and stepped forward. When his weight hit her it knocked her off her feet. She fell onto her back hard, her remaining blade slipping from her fingers. She closed her eyes and laid there for a minute. She wasn't quite as strong as she'd thought she was. She heard Sabin's footsteps and opened her eyes.
 
He looked down at her, his smile full of amusement. “You shouldn't try to use so much celestial power when you aren't used to it. Did you really think you'd be able to beat me just with that?”
 
Myara sat up and told him, “Don't act like it's impossible for anyone to beat you. I'm going to be the one who does it. Believe me.”
 
He offered her a hand, still with that amused look on his face.
 
She took it and allowed him to help her to her feet. She hoped it was an offering of friendship. She really wanted to get close to him, like in the dreams. Of course, he might not see a young human like her as attractive. Knowing that you'd outlive someone by centuries would hardly encourage you to be friendly with them. She got to her feet and released his hand. She did feel a little bit shaky after that match but she didn't want him to know that.
 
He told her, “I guess there's nothing wrong with trying. But still, I'd be surprised if you could beat any of the instructors, even when you graduate.”
 
Myara told him as she glanced around for her sword, feeling slightly offended, “By the time I graduate I'll surpass everyone here.” She gave him a dark look that dared him to argue.
 
He looked even more amused. “All right. Sure,” he told her.
 
It was obvious he was humoring her. He was still as confident as ever and he really didn't think she could do it. He didn't even think she could beat any of the instructors. He'd see eventually though. She was going to be as good as a celestial. She saw her missing blade and went to get it. She picked it up and stared at it for a minute. There was a slice that went halfway through the middle of the blade. Was that possible? She couldn't quite understand how it had happened. Perhaps Sabin had used some sort of celestial power? She glanced at him, feeling a twinge of annoyance at the way he stretched his arms, as if he'd just gotten done warming up.
 
She turned her attention back to the blade, turning it to view the slide from different angles. It was no wonder she hadn't been able to hold onto it. She was going to have to replace it now though. There was no way she could still use it. She supposed it was good they hadn't been using the wooden practice blades. She wasn't too keen on having splinters of wood flying all around her.
 
Dalziel came up behind her, looking over her shoulder. “That was an exceptionally good match. I guess your usual practice blades couldn't take it.”
 
Sabriel nodded. “Yeah, I guess that last hit was just too much. I've never had this happen though, I wasn't expecting it.”
 
“I can imagine. I'll find you a set that will hold up better so it won't happen again. I don't think anything that you can buy around here will be strong enough. It would be dangerous if a piece actually broke off.” He reached for the blade and took it from her fingers.
 
Myara willingly handed over her second blade to him as well. “Yeah, I don't think that would be good.”
 
He took them both. “I'll do something about it. Don't worry. Go ahead and get read to go. Even though class is over for the day, I'm sure you have things to do.”
 
She nodded. “Thanks. I'll see you tomorrow.” She turned to Sabin and pointed at him as he sheathed his own blade. “I'll beat you next time!” she declared.
 
Sabin waved. “Yeah, sure.”
 
She frowned at him and then turned away, stretched out her back as she walked for the locker rooms. That really was some fall she'd taken.