Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ An Angel's Remains ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sabin looked around them, sticking close to Myara. They walked through Market Street in downtown Canton. The Christmas lights were up in all the shops, and all their displays were distinguished by the bright reds and greens typical of the season. The air smelled like snow in the making. It was a refreshing feeling.
 
“Is it always so crowded this time of year?” asked Sabin, frowning.
 
Myara refrained from giggling, not wanting him to think she was laughing at him. Instead she smiled faintly. “I suppose you haven't spent much time in the human world have you? It's almost Christmas you know.”
 
He seemed to contemplate this statement. “I guess some of the others may have mentioned such a holiday. It's one of the big ones right?”
 
She nodded. “That's right. Everyone buys presents for each other and they exchange them on Christmas day.” She didn't think he'd quite get it if she tried to explain all the details of the Christian holidays to him and it might end up as a very long conversation.
 
Sabin grasped Myara's arm and pulled her away from the edge of the street just a moment before a passing car kicked slush up onto the sidewalk.
 
Myara was greatful, and a little bit pleased by the contact. It didn't last long though.
 
Sabin looked embarrassed as he released her arm. He tucked his hands into the pockets of his long, dark jacket. He cleared his throat and then returned to their conversation. “It's a curious holiday. Do humans really like receiving gifts so much?”
 
Even though she was still unable to get an idea of his true feelings, Myara was amused. She smiled at him and replied. “I guess they must.” She spotted the restaurant they were looking for and pointed. “There it is.”
 
He looked where she pointed. “So it is.” He removed his hands from his pockets and took her arm. “Let's get out of this crowd. It's hard to even think like this.” He guided her through the people and into the reception area of the restaurant.
 
Myara was surprised at how nice a place it was. She was glad her mother had insisted she dress her best. Even if it was just another of her attempts to pair off her only daughter.
 
Sabin released Myara's arm and went to the hostess. “Reservations for two under Pierce.”
 
The woman looked up at Sabin, sparing a slightly disapproving glance for his red hair. She looked down at her list and after a moment she said, “Yes, your name is on the list. This way please.”
 
As they fell into step behind her Myara looked up at Sabin. He looked fairly relaxed, even though he'd seemed annoyed in the crowded streets just a few minutes before. She told him, “You know, I didn't expect you to follow up on the date thing so quickly.” She didn't even say that it was much more effort than she'd been expecting from him. It felt like a serious date.
 
He looked over and told her, “Well, I wanted to talk to you without anyone else around and that's not exactly easy on campus.”
 
Their hostess stopped and motioned to a table for two against the wall. “Here's your table, your waiter will be here soon.” She slipped away silently after having said her piece.
 
Sabin and Myara both took off their jackets, placing them over the backs of their chairs before sitting down.
 
Sabin picked up the menu after taking his seat. He opened it and looked it over with a frown, as if he weren't quite pleased with its contents. “Damn human restaurants.” He muttered under his breath, but he didn't sound cross when he said it.
 
Myara picked up her own menu but didn't open it. She leaned forward against the table. “What was it you wanted to talk about?” she asked, eager to know what it was.
 
He looked up at her and then back at his menu. His expression didn't give anything away. “Let's eat first, before we talk about anything serious.”
 
She leaned back, wondering why she felt a little disappointed. Had she somehow harbored the hope that he would confess he cared about her. The way he spoke, it sounded like it was nothing like that at all. She hid her disappointment behind a polite smile. “Sure, we can wait till later,” she told him.
 
Their waiter came and went. Myara ate her food and they made conversation about safe topics like the differences between the celestial and human worlds. She began to grow impatient though, so the food was wasted on her. The conversation, while pleasant, was unsatisfying.
 
Finally, after a pause in the conversation, Sabin put his fork down and sat back, his eyes falling heavily on her.
 
She knew this was the time when their “serious” conversation would begin. Her waiting was finally over. She sat her own fork down. She'd only been playing with what was left on her plate anyways.
 
Sabin took a deep breath. “I wanted to talk about the things that happened right before Sabriel's death. When we were training you mentioned to some of us that Sabriel felt she'd been betrayed by someone she trusted. Have you recalled anything else?”
 
Myara shook her head. “Not really. Since we left that place , I dream about it less.”
 
Sabin frowned and thoughtfully placed his right hand against his lips. Finally he lowered the hand and told her. “I had a conversation with her, not long before she died. She said she had an idea that there was some corruption in the celestial world. At the time, she couldn't completely trust me, considering my black-winged status. So she didn't tell me what she'd found. It wasn't long after that she was killed. All that I want is that you tell me first, should you remember.” He looked extremely serious, but not as upset as Myara would have expected.
 
Trying to get an idea of his feelings, Myara asked him, “And if I suddenly were to remember? What would you do to this person, or people, if they were responsible for Sabriel's death?”
 
Sabin shrugged. “I can't say exactly. Even though I've had a hundred years to think on the things I'd like to do to them. But you can be sure that I won't sit and do nothing. I won't let them kill you as they did her.”
 
He looked so solemn Myara couldn't help but saying, “You really loved her, huh? I still remember your face at that moment. When she died.”
 
He looked a little surprised, but then he closed his eyes and sighed. “You remember it that well. That part of what happened?”
 
“Yeah,” she muttered. She'd dreamed about it many times. Was there a way she could forget?
 
He opened his eyes and his gaze was on her again. “I'm sorry… that you have to remember things like that. I realize that you share her feelings for me. You've begun to act a lot like her recently. I don't know if it's deliberate or not but… I can't return any feelings you have for me. When I remind myself that you're not the same person, I know I probably don't love you. Pretending would be cruel.”
 
Myara felt her heart falling into a well of depression, a direct result of his statement. She wasn't sure she could appreciate such honesty. She forced her feelings down, afraid she might cry in front of him. She didn't want to burden him with her tears. “I understand. It's okay,” she lied.
 
He didn't look like her words relieved him at all. He told her, “I really am sorry.”
 
***
 
Jenny waved to her as she was walking into the dorms, saying a quick goodbye to whoever it was she'd been chatting with. “Myara, I wondered when you'd get here!” she called, jogging over.
 
Myara hefted her bag up onto her shoulder. “Here I am!” She proclaimed. She gave Jenny a smile.
 
Jenny returned her smile and asked, “So how was your break? You went on that school trip and didn't even call me once after that.” She place her hands on her hips, frowning playfully.
 
“I did try to call you around Christmas but your parents said you were out with Michael.” Myara began walking and Jenny fell into step beside her, frowning.
 
“They didn't mention it. They must have forgotten. But anyways, it's good to finally see you again.” Jenny smiled brilliantly as they walked up to the stairs together.
 
Thinking back on the break, Myara felt a twinge of regret. Her date with Sabin had been pleasant, but painful. It had set the mood for the remainder of the break. She could have tried to call Jenny more, but she could admit to herself, at least, that she hadn't wanted to talk to anyone.
 
***
 
He ran his fingers through his white hair. He was old even by celestial standards, but thankfully, celestials didn't age as gracelessly as humans. He looked at the bed where his wife laid, or what passed for his wife these days. He would rather not discover how real she was. The demons had promised to bring back his wife and they had, back from the very grave. Now he just had to do as they said and he could continue to be with her forever. By some miracle, despite his terrible acts, his wings had remained white. Perhaps it was because he felt remorse, but he would willingly turn over the celestial world in it's entirety for the illusion of being with her.
 
She stirred as if she knew he was thinking about her. She opened her eyes and yawned, stretching her arms over her head.
 
He picked up his clothes from the back of a chair and began getting dressed.
 
“What are you doing?” she asked him, sitting up and hugging the blankets to her chest.
 
He glanced back at her with a smile. “Nothing much, just thinking that I'd do anything for you.”
 
She smiled almost tauntingly. “Anything? That's a thought.”
 
He felt a twinge of nervousness at that smile but he returned it easily. He was used to squashing those uneasy feelings. “I said anything. I meant it.” He pulled his shirt on as she climbed out of bed. He heard her walking up behind him and glanced back.
 
She told him, “That's good, because the Demon Lords have a request. There's a human girl that looks troublesome. You are to get rid of her.” She slid her arms around his neck and smiled sweetly. She looked like her old self for a moment.
 
He stared into her eyes, entranced. “Of course, consider her taken care of.”