Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Blood of the Gods: Part One- When the Sun Sets ❯ What Almost Was ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

What Almost Was
 
The late day sun sat low in the sky, watching the world move about below it. The grass whipped at Aki's feet as she ran across the courtyard and onto the dirt streets leading to the bazaar. The thickness of the crowds soon slowed her to a walk once she neared the more populated streets. People were everywhere. How am I supposed to find him with all these idiots wandering around? A shine caught her eye. She turned and saw a small glass ornament hanging from the doorway of a small glass shop. She walked closer and looked at it. The glass was a simple dove or bird of some kind carved into a chunk of crystal glass, delicate and beautiful in its own way. She reached up to touch it when a voice rang in her ears, “Hello, miss?” Aki turned and saw a man behind her. He was short and wore the same odd clothing as Kannashi; only his shift was brown with no sleeves and his trousers were a faded red. “Yes?” “That belt of yours- panther fur is it?” She looked at her waist. My tail? “Yes, I guess it is.” “Would you consider selling it? I will give you a good price.” She stepped back, her eyes wide with horror, “No!” “Come now, I am sure I can give you plenty of money.” “No!” He opened his mouth to speak again, but another voice beat him to it, “There you are. I knew I would find you somewhere.” Kannashi walked up to Aki, “Hello my dear.” She turned red, “Greetings Kannashi.” The older man walked closer, “I was busy!” He backed up again when Kannashi glared at him, “Not anymore. Go.” The man walked away, grumbling something under his breath. Aki turned to Kannashi, “I could have handled him you know.” He grinned down at her, “That is what scared me.” She crossed her arms and huffed, “Fine.” He chuckled and then laughed outright when Aki mumbled something obscene and smoothed the fur on her tail, glaring after the man.
The smell of rainstorms tickled Kannashi's nose. He turned to Aki sitting next to him on the roof of the glassware shop, her feet hanging over the edge next to his. She tried to look like she didn't know he was staring at her and just watched the slowly thinning crowds of people below. He is staring at me. Heis staring at me. It was repeating itself in her head like a mantra. She felt heat rise on her face and knew that he could see her blushing. He grinned and looked away, breathing in her scent again. They watched the sun begin to sink over the Capital wall a small distance beyond the bazaar, content with each other. She glanced at him through the corner of her eye, deciding to say something before her little bit of courage ran out, “Thank you Kannashi for saving me.” He looked at her, a small smile lighting his face, “Anytime.” “I do not really know what got into me.” “That makes two of us.” She turned a darker shade of red, “Why did you save me?” He watched her fidget nervously, “Because you called for me. You called and I couldn't leave you out there.” Aki heard a faint air of protectiveness in his voice and looked up at him, confusion in her eyes, “Why?” He smirked, the beginning of a fang peeking over his lip, but never really answered the question. They both turned at the smell of sweet buns, the moment gone. He looked at her, “Food anyone?” She smiled and they pushed themselves over the edge, landing easily on the ground. The cart was across the bazaar, the merchant setting a fresh tray of buns next to the old one. Kannashi moved, but was held back by Aki. She pushed him back, “This one is mine. You stay here.” She growled playfully at him when he pouted, his bottom lip poking out, making him look like a small child. She walked away and Kannashi watched curiously to see what she would do.
Aki sauntered over to the merchant of the pastry cart, a little extra sway in her step. Men paused to watch her as she walked by, caught off guard by someone like her around here. “Greetings mister.” The middle aged merchant stared at her, feeling really hot all of a sudden. She smiled sweetly at him, “Can you show me where the glass shop is? Please?” He nodded, a little too much vigor in the motion, “Sure!” He walked stiffly in front of Aki, looking more like a peacock then anything else. They walked passed Kannashi and she jerked her head toward the unmanned cart and winked. He stared after her, a goofy kind of look on his face and feeling like he wanted to drool. That was so-. He suddenly got up and moved over to the cart. He picked up the tray of sweet buns and just walked back over to where he was standing to wait for Aki. She came around the corner a moment later, a sly smile on her face. He grinned, “You have had practice.” “Just a little.” They moved down the street a little and sat against another shop, comfortable enough in the dirt. He offered her the tray, “Here.” She picked one and leaned back to stare at the sky. He took a bite out of his own bun and stared at her. The fading sunlight was reflecting in her eyes, making them glow slightly. She seemed so surreal even though she was just sitting there. It was like she was out of place here. She does not belong here…. He looked away when she took another bite of her bun, embarrassed. What is wrong with me? He ate another bun and stared at the sky, his face thoughtful. Why does she make me feel so… He couldn't find the word to describe it, but it was there, warming him. “Kannashi.” Her voice was calm, like she was at peace with herself. “Hm?” His voice was calm too, mimicking hers. “What are you thinking about?” “What do you mean?” “You are so quiet.” “Just enjoying the calm.” They fell silent again, neither wanting to disturb the moment. Soon, all the sweet buns were eaten and all the people were gone; it was just them and the darkness that has fallen. She abruptly turned to him, “Why did you let me do it Kannashi? Why did you not push me away?” He looked into her eyes, telling her things he could never say, “Because I did not want to Aki.” She looked away, afraid of what she saw in his eyes. “I am sorry.” “I am not.” She gasped quietly and turned to him again, searching his face. He smiled, “You do not have to be afraid of me.” He pulled her close until she was leaning on him. She relaxed and just let herself be. “Thank you Kannashi.” “Anytime.” He heard her heartbeat even out and knew that she was quickly falling asleep. He didn't mind. He had no place to go. He looked down at her, the breeze playing with a few stray hairs on her face. It felt right, for her to be there with him. The moon climbed higher into the sky, casting a soft light on Aki's face. He turned a slight shade of red when her head slid from his shoulder to stop on his chest. Her tail unwound from her waist and curled around him, keeping him there. Kannashi hesitated for a moment before pulling her closer to him, “Sleep well.” She sighed and fell into a deeper sleep, feeling safe in his embrace.
 
* * * * *
Moriko slunk quietly through the huts; the moon high above her giving enough light to make her eyes shine with a fierce demonic glow. She came to the bazaar and was relieved to find it empty. Her ears suddenly perked up with the sound of a masculine voice not far away. She gripped the wooden side of the nearest hut and heaved herself onto the roof. She ran over the huts until she came to a clay and mud rooftop. She paused to sniff the air, Aki's scent floating there. Moriko dashed over the roof and looked down the side. Aki and some unfamiliar man were sleeping there. He was holding her close to him in a protective embrace, his arms keeping her from the chill of the night air. She leapt silently down to get a better look. A loud growl startled her and she instinctively jumped back, hearing the threat in the protective sound. What in the hell? Moriko eyed the man holding her sister, the growl coming from him. He pulled Aki closer to him and settled back into sleep. She moved closer again, only this time, refused stop at the growl like she knew she should. He snarled and lashed out at her, claws on his hand instead of nails. She backed away again and watched the claws recede back. Interesting. She backed further away and leapt up onto the shop. It seems that I have been able to protect my little sister from everything thus far, but I lose her to something as mundane as a lover. She shook her head dejectedly; At least she is not dead. Moriko turned and walked away, confident that her sister would be safe for the night.
 
* * * * *
 
Dawn painted the sky with vivid color, chasing the night from the air. Warm rays of sun heated the earth, cool from the night. Kannashi woke from his light sleep to find that Aki had pulled him closer to her sometime during the night. He grinned. Aki moaned, slowly rousing from her sleep. He watched her eyes flutter open, still droopy with sleep. She smiled up at him, “Kannashi.” “Good morning.” He grinned back at her, his voice smooth, like wine. “You stayed with me.” “Of course.” He gazed down at her, a warmth in his eyes, “I would not leave you.” Her eyes got wider at the meaning behind his words. Kannashi… Time moved slowly, like honey, the moment stretching on. The sounds of footsteps and the moment was shattered. Kannashi growled and stood, pulling her up with him. She leaned on him for a moment while her body continued to wake from sleep. She wrapped her tail around her waist and straightened her cloths, her ears already hidden by messy hair.
A woman and a man came around the corner, running up to them. They were dressed similar to Kannashi. The woman was not much older then Aki and about the same height. She had short brown hair that framed her heart shaped face. Her green eyes clashing with the shade of tan on her skin. She wore one of those odd shifts, only hers was a dark green while her short cotton skirt was a muddy brown, just like her leather boots. The young man was tall, and his messy light brown hair coupled with his boyish face and big green eyes made him look like some boy rather then a man. His shift was the same as Kannashi's, only a little cleaner, and his baggy trousers were rusty red, not white. His black leather boots were decorated with many out of place looking beads, but it seemed to fit him. They stopped in front of Kannashi, panting from all the running. “What now Leiko?” The woman, Leiko, flopped down, “Sorry. Tired.” The man watched her, “If you would spend more time working and less time lounging, you would not be so tired.” She glared at him, “Shut it Kan.” They all seemed oblivious to Aki standing at Kannashi's side. Leiko finally stood up and turned to Kannashi, “You never returned last night.” “So?” “So we came to look for you- Who is she?!” Leiko pointed at Aki who glared at the woman. Leiko stepped closer and got in Aki's face, “Who do you think you are draping yourself on him like that?” She pushed Aki and glared. Aki regained her balance and snarled like some animal, unsure of why being pushed from Kannashi infuriated her this way. She narrowed her yellow- green eyes and bared her fangs, “You do not own him wretch. Back off.” She shrugged off Aki's threat, “I have seen others like you so do not feel so special.” “What? Like him? The only others besides him around here know me.” Leiko looked skeptical. Aki smirked, “I guess I have to prove myself.” He remembered what answered the last time and he didn't want to meet who was on the other end of that howl. Kannashi's eyes went wide, “Wait!” Aki smiled wickedly and turned her face to the sky, a soul- wrenching howl dominating the air. Leiko and Kan covered their ears, “Make her stop!” Kannashi winced at the sound, grinding his teeth, but listened all the same, imprinting the howl into his memory. She stopped and waited, her eyes closed patiently. Leiko looked around, both her and Kan confused and unsure of what to look for. A menacing roar pierced the air and Aki smiled while everyone else froze in terror, “Run.” Kan did as he was told and ran, hoping to escape. Leiko and Kannashi stayed, frozen and waiting. A darkly blurred woman streaked across the huts and leapt gracefully to the ground, skidding to a halt next to Aki. She looked around, eyeing the odd dress of the woman before turning her yellow gaze to Kannashi, recognizing him from the night before, “What is this?” His eyes widened unnoticeably. She knows! Leiko stumbled back and pulled a dagger from her boot, “Stay away from me!” Moriko turned to her and laid her ears back and bared her fangs, “Try it and die.” Leiko's eyes went wider and she froze, unable to move, like she was trapped by this demon's hateful gaze. Kannashi snuck around Moriko and slid his arms around Aki, his breath dancing on her neck, “Calm down.” She melted into him, bathing in his warmth. He purred quietly into her ear, too quietly for Leiko to hear him. Moriko paused when the soft sound of purring reached her sensitive ears. She turned and saw the man holding intimately to her sister while she leaned into him. She allowed herself a small smile before turning and walking away, her tail wrapping itself around her waist. She shot Leiko one last warning glare before vanishing, confident her sister would be fine now. Leiko felt the blood rush back to her limbs once that woman was gone and she fell back onto the ground. Kannashi glanced at her before returning his attention to Aki. Leiko stood and glared at them before stalking off like a spoiled child, “I was here to save you Kannashi. Then you let that woman drape herself on you like some harlot. Damn you!” She walked away, slipping the knife back into her boot. Kannashi ignored her, “Better?” Aki nodded slowly, “Yes…” He released her and stared after Leiko, “I am truly sorry about all that.” She never answered him. He turned and she was gone. He looked around and saw her tail vanishing over the roofs of the surrounding huts. He kicked up dirt and stormed after Leiko and Kan, “Fuck.” He punched the wall of the glassware shop before rounding the corner.