Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Chasers: 2075 ❯ Chapter 11

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chasers 2075: Part Ten

Kate looked up at Dr. Alexis Jameson, an odd look on her face. "We were out on a case last night, a attempted homicide, and there was an android there," she said quietly.

Alexis tried not to show her surprise, but it was hard. The session had started out just like the others with Kate, the police officer just sitting there silently on the couch. Then she had tensed up, sat forward and began to speak.

"Silver, she called herself," Kate said softly, "she was there taking care of the wounded girl. She knelt there on the pavement, rocking her friend back and forth, trying to protect her from anything else with her own body."

Kate stopped, and Alexis wanted to prompt her, but she kept quiet. Somehow, the dark haired woman just knew that talking to her would cut off whatever was happening here. After a few moments, Kate started up again.

"I've never believed that androids could care," Kate said softly, "not like a real human being." She smiled to herself wryly, thinking back to the android with the little dog, before saying quietly, "Maybe I was wrong."

Alexis quietly said, "And if you are?"

Kate sighed softly, "Then maybe I need to think about why I'm doing this."

Alexis looked at Kate, and knew that she wasn't ready to talk about this any longer. Deciding to try to keep her talking she asked, "What do you think of the people you work with?" Kate looked at her thoughtfully for a few moments, and Alexis wondered if she was going to answer her at all.

Kate puffed out a little breath, "My co-workers?" She smiled slightly, looking thoughtful, "Gwen is the boss, and she makes it quite clear about that. But she's also human..."

Kate had been sitting in her office, when she saw Gwen hurry by her office in much disarray. Her clothes were messy, her hair unkempt, and her face showed signs of crying. Up the hallway she heard the office door open and slam shut, and figured Gwen was in there.

After a few moments of silence, Kate ventured up the hallway and firmly knocked on the door. "Go 'way!" was the shouted reply.

"It's me, Kate," Kate answered. There was a few moments of silence, and Kate took that as permission to go in. Gwen looked a bit neater, and had changed to her suit, but she still looked pretty terrible. Her eyes were red rimmed, and bags showed her lack of sleep.

"What do you want?" Gwen asked tiredly.

"If you want," Kate said quietly, "I can cover for you today." She tugged on the chair in front of Gwen's desk and settled down into it smoothly.

Gwen pushed her hair back tiredly, looking down at her desk. "I look that bad, do I?" she asked Kate quietly.

"You've looked better," Kate answered diplomatically, getting a smile from Gwen. Quietly she asked, "If you don't mind my asking, what's wrong?"

"You'll probably find out from the rumor mill soon enough," Gwen sighed sadly, "my girlfriend is leaving me."

"... I never really expected her to tell me that." Kate finished quietly, not noticing Alexis' nearly bone pale face.

'Did my leaving Gwen effect her that much?' a badly shaken Alexis found herself wondering. 'Kate couldn't know that it's me that Gwen was talking about,' she thought.

"Beth," Kate paused, and laughed softly, "Beth is just over the top. She's incredible with all the computer stuff, but off work..."

Kate looked at Beth oddly. The petite little redhead had been wearing a long coat throughout her shift today, explaining that she was wearing her 'clubbing' outfit underneath it. Personally, Kate didn't see the big deal, but then again she usually only wore a T-shirt and pants anyway.

"Ready for the unveiling?" Beth asked her with a grin.

Kate shrugged nonchalantly, "Sure."

Beth opened her coat and Kate nearly sprayed her with a mouthful of coffee! Over a black body stocking she was wearing a red corset, panties, stockings and boots, along with elbow length red gloves. Still coughing on her coffee Kate managed, "You're going to get arrested!"

Beth grinned and answered eagerly, "You think so?" She paused, taking a sexy pose, "You could always keep me here."

Kate groaned softly, "You know you're not my type!"

Beth pouted, "You can't blame a girl for trying." She pulled her long coat around her and headed out with a spring in her step.

A smiling Lynn poked her blonde head in the room to ask Kate, "Was she wearing what I think she was wearing?"

Kate shook her head, "Yep."

There was a long pause in the storytelling, an odd expression appearing on Kate's face. Her eyes had darkened in memory, and she looked down at the clasped hands in her lap. "Lynn?" Alexis prompted her gently.

"I'm not ready," Kate said softly, "to talk about Lynn."

Alexis really wanted to push, but decided to move along instead. "Don't you have another co-worker?" she asked.

Kate sat there a few moments silently, then said, "Jen is my new partner." A ghost of a smile, "The rookie is always neat, dressed for success. Well, except for that one time...

"I can't believe my mother!" Jen shouted, barging right by the three standing and talking.

Kate looked over at her in surprise. Over the past few weeks she had gotten used to seeing Jen come in dressed in a perfectly chosen pantsuit, makeup, hair combed and looking a bit like a fashion model. Even in an emergency, she came in looking good.

But today, Jen actually had hair standing up. Her suit looked all right, but it hadn't been ironed, and looked pulled on hurriedly. Most importantly, Jen looked clearly furious.

"What did your mother do?" Gwen asked her tentatively, wondering if she was going to have to call the regular police and report a homicide.

"She set me up for a marriage meeting," Jen bit out.

"What?" Kate blurted.

Jen began to pace, "She tells me were going out to lunch with an old friend of hers, and I find myself sitting across from this poor young man and his mom. Then the old granny showed up!"

"What did you do?" Beth asked curiously.

Jen smiled grimly, "I finally came out to my mother, that's what!" With that, she dropped her stuff off at her desk and went to the bathroom to tidy up.

Sitting there Kate looked at her watch and her eyes widened. She got up off the couch, "Looks like I ran over today, Doc."

Alexis got up as well, "You can stay longer if you want." Kate shook her head as she strode to the door, and Alexis added, "I hope we can talk again next time."

Kate paused at the open office door, her brown hair falling into her eyes. There was a slight smile on her face, "Maybe." With that, she was gone.