Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Chasers: 2075 ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chasers 2075: Part Twelve

The bar was a surprisingly good one for Lowtown, Kate noted as she went inside, feeling the patron's eyes resting on her. It was both a clean bar and a bit cozy, a nice dance floor and a few dining tables. There was also karaoke, but she could live with that. She had chosen to skip wearing her police jacket, though she did wear her pistol under her plain black coat. Looking around her she saw that the customers were all women, and smiled slightly.

The woman at the bar looked the sandy brown haired woman over, her own long blue hair flowing over her shoulders. "Have you got a license for that?" she asked, nodding to the barely visible lump in Kate's jacket.

'Sharp,' Kate thought admiringly as she slid her wallet from her pocket. She opened it up discretely, letting the bartender see the badge.

The woman narrowed her cat's eyes slightly before she asked Kate, "Are you here for business or pleasure?"

"Off-duty," Kate reassured her, "meeting a friend."

The bartender relaxed a bit as she asked, "What can I get you?"

"Beer in a bottle, please," Kate smiled. She paid for it, then turned to look out at the crowd for her... date. 'I can't believe I'm doing this,' she thought.

She came through the doors a few moments later, her long silvery hair flowing around her like the summer dress she wore. She moved gracefully, but years of experience confirmed to Kate that she was an android. Silver actually smiled on seeing Kate, walking over to her side.

"I'm glad you came," Silver said quietly as she settled into a spot beside Kate at the bar.

"Yeah, well," Kate flushed a bit, drinking a bit more of her beer. "How's Kari?" she asked.

"Much better," Silver smiled. She looked up at the bartender and asked, "Ryouko, could I have my regular, please?"

"Coming right up," Ryouko smiled, obviously feeling happier that the quiet policewoman was here with one of the good customers.

Kate raised her eyebrow at the glass of murky liquid that was set down in front of Silver. "What is that?" she asked.

"A mix of alcohol and a kind of synthetic oil," Silver shrugged, "it tastes good and it's good for my systems."

"I'll stick with my beer," Kate answered her dryly.

They stood there silently, enjoying their drinks, when Silver finally asked, "Why did you decide to call me?"

Kate put her bottle down, and pushed her brown hair back from her face. "To be honest, I'm not entirely sure," she admitted, "I guess I just wanted to talk."

"Let's grab a table," and Silver gently lay her hand on Kate's arm.

Kate let Silver tug her along, looking over the women around her thoughtfully. Her eyes widened and she smiled, realizing they were playing early twenty-first century music.

"How can you look into my eyes, like open doors?" the woman's recorded voice sang to them sweetly.

Without really thinking about it, Kate pulled a chair out for Silver, pushing it in after she sat down. "Thank you," the silvery haired girl smiled up at her.

Kate cheeks went just a bit red as she said casually, "No problem."

"You don't run into an old-fashioned gentleman very often these days," Silver teased her gently, "it makes a pleasant change of pace."

"Just consider me as a throw-back," Kate answered, thinking of her home, the machinery stripped of all of it's A.I.s.

"I wouldn't go that far," Silver sipped at her drink delicately, looking over at Kate with her blue-gray eyes. Quietly, "What would you like to talk about?"

"Why," Kate hesitated, then, "why did you stay there to help Kari?"

Silver blinked, but took the question seriously. "She's my friend," she said gently, "she has been for years, ever since I first awoke as a freewill."

'A freewill,' Kate thought, 'of course.' She drank some of her beer, "I haven't met many freewills on my job."

"I'm glad," Silver said dryly.

Kate just had to smile at that.

"You've been hurt by an android, haven't you?" Silver asked her sadly.

Kate looked startled, "How did you ...?"

Silver shrugged, "It pays to be able to read people in my job." She looked across at Kate, her eyes showing concern, "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, I..." Kate flushed, looking down at her beer. 'I've said more to her than I've had to my psychiatrist,' Kate thought to herself ruefully, and decided not to think about that too much.

"Don't want to talk about yourself, hmm?" Silver smiled. She looked thoughtful, and tapped Kate's nearly full bottle of beer, "Looks like you don't drink much, either."

"Well, no," Kate shrugged.

"Don't talk, don't drink," Silver mused, then she smoothly rose to her feet. She offered her hand to Kate, "Do you dance? Promise I'll let you lead."

Kate blinked at her in surprise, then she smiled back at Silver. "Yes, I dance," Kate grinned, taking Silver's hand and standing up beside her.

Silver curtsied, Kate bowed, then Silver stepped in close to Kate as slower song started up, and they swayed together to the music. It felt surprisingly pleasant to Kate, holding Silver against her, gently guiding her across the crowded dance floor.

"I think I like this place," Kate murmured to Silver softly, "but I didn't catch the name when I went inside."

"Arisugawa's Locket," Silver murmured back, adding, "you do dance well."

"Thanks," Kate grinned, and they danced on.

Author's Notes: heh, a little cameo of my Arisugawa's Locket series, and it's bartender Ryouko. I may expand on this in the Locket series itself, depending on if I feel like it.