Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Chasers: 2075 ❯ Chapter 19

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chasers 2075: Part Eighteen

Jen checked her watch before sighing softly.

"How may I serve you?" the cheerful voice came from the back seat.

"Shut up," Kate scowled back at the android. She then looked over at Jen, "What's up?"

"Sorry," Jen smiled slightly. "I was almost hoping we'd be getting back late," she admitted, "I've got a date with an ex-girlfriend."

"If you don't want to see her, why did you agree to go?" Kate asked reasonably.

"Good question," Jen sighed.

"How may I serve you?" the android leaned forward, her bare breasts bouncing invitingly.

"Can I shoot her, please?" Kate asked Jen plaintively.

"Sorry," Jen shook her head, "her only logic breakdown appears to be in her modesty sub-routines. No threat, at least not yet."

"Damn," Kate growled, pushing the nude android back into the back seat.

"I guess I agreed to go see her because of our history," Jen admitted, "I mean, we were together for a pretty long time."

"Tell me if this isn't any of my business," Kate looked over at Jen cautiously, "but why did you two break up?"

With a grim little smile Jen said, "She cheated on me." She looked out the window at the buildings going by and softly added, "She talked me into taking her back once before, but when she did it again I moved out."

An oddly dangerous twinkle appeared in Kate's eyes as she asked, "How would you like to get her back a little bit?"

"It's not going to involve you doing something violent to her, will it?" Jen looked back at Kate suspiciously.

"No, but it's tempting," Kate smiled. "Here's what we'll do..."

Beth smiled happily as she watched Jen and Kate talking together walking from the vehicle bays back towards the locker rooms. Kate had certainly relaxed a lot around Jen over the past few months. She still wasn't quite back to her old self, but she certainly was getting better.

Beth reached Gwen's door and knocked on it gently but firmly before hearing Gwen call to her, "Come on in."

Beth pushed the door open, carrying a steaming mug with her. "You still don't look very good," she noted as she sat the cup down on the desk.

"If that the hair of the dog that bit me," Gwen looked at the cup rather dubiously, "I may have to be sick all over you."

"No," Beth said firmly, "it's just more of that awful tea you always like."

"Thanks," Gwen picked it up greatfully. She took a careful drink then asked, "Are Kate and Jen back from that call yet?"

"They just went to the lockers," Beth informed her, "Kate asked to go on break for an hour or so, then she'll be right back."

Gwen checked her watch witth a frown, "That's around the time Jen asked to leave."

A naughty little smile appeared on Beth's face, "You don't thing they're...?"

Gwen shook her head, "I doubt it."

"Too bad," Beth gave a bad girl smirk. She moved to leave, then paused at the door. "If you need anything, just call," she said softly, "I know how ill you're feeling."

Gwen blinked as the door closed quietly behind Beth. She was used to Beth's flirting, and she could handle the young woman's intensity when she was on a job. But this... gentleness coming from Beth stuck her as just a bit different, somehow, and she wasn't quite sure how to handle it.

'Later,' Gwen thought as she bent over her work covered desk, occasionally sipping at her tea. 'It may smell bad,' she thought with a happy sigh, 'but it tastes great.'

Jen hesitated at the door of the small cafe, taking a steadying breath. 'I can do this,' she told herself firmly as she pushed open the door and went in.

The cafe was secluded, somehow protected from the noise and traffic just outside. Comfortable chairs were set around round tables all around the inside of the building, while servers bustled about. An open counter led right into the kitchen, and savory smells wafted out to tease and tempt the various customers.

Jen looked around, spotting Karen sitting at one of the corner tables. She looked good, dressed nicely, rather like she would going out on the town, her short black hair styled back boyishly. The table she sat at was one that the two of them had ate in often while they were dating, and had become unofficially known as their table. 'Trying to use my sentimentality against me?' Jen wondered.

Jen weaved her way through the tables, giving smiles and nods to aquaintences and casual friends she had made while they were going here more regularly. 'I really should have visited here more often after Karen and I broke up,' she mused. Jen reached the table but instead of sitting down she stood behind one of the chairs.

"What are you waiting for?" Karen blinked in surprise.

"My girlfriend hasn't gotten here yet," Jen explained cheerfully.

Karen gaped at her in surprise as, almost as if it were on cue, the chime attached to the front door rang. Kate strode in like she owned the place, and even though she was her typically scruffy self, she carried it off with real style.

"Kate," Jen waved.

Kate cut through the crowded cafe, reaching their side in a few moments. She pulled Jen into a gentle hug, then Jen felt her chin being tilted up slightly. 'I didn't think we were going to take it quite this far,' she managed to think even as Kate pulled her into a firm kiss.

"Whew," Jen smiled up at Kate once she let her go, "if that's what happens when I'm gone for awhile, I should take off more often."

"Perish the thought," Kate grinned. She looked across the table at the slightly shell-shocked Karen and stuck out her hand, "Kate Williams."

"Karen Davies," she shook the offered hand limply. She looked over at Jen, "I didn't realize you were dating again."

"I didn't have to go dating," Jen gushed, "we met on the job." She gaze Kate a sly glance, "It was love at first sight."

Kate nearly choked on the glass of water she was sipping. "Yeah, we had an instant chemistry together," she agreed trufully.

Karen looked most displeased, "Jen, do you think I could talk with you? Alone?"

Jen smiled winsomely, "But Kate and I were going out together tonight!"

"And I'm not planning on letting her go until tomorrow morning," Kate reached over to gently take Jen's hand.

"Sorry to interupt your evening together," Karen said with as much dignity as she could muster, "maybe I'll be able to catch you later." With that Karen left in a huff.

Kate and Jen kept their straight faces for a few minutes after Karen left, then broke out laughing. "That was a very mean thing you did," one of the waitresses dropped off two cups then filled them with coffee, "and it couldn't have happened to a nastier person."

"We didn't order these," Kate blinked.

"On the house," the waitress took off with a wave.

"I take it Karen's not well liked around here," Kate noted.

"You don't know the half of it," Jen annswered. She hesitated before asking her, "Was that kiss really necessary?"

"No," Kate admitted, "but it was fun."

To be continued..