Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Chasers: 2075 ❯ Chapter 24

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chasers 2075: Part twenty-three

The battered old meeting hall in Lowtown was filled to the brim, and almost everyone in there was androids. Artificial lighting gave off a dim, flickering light, as no real sunlight ever made it down here anymore. Nyara stood up near the front of the room, the auburn haired sexaroid running through the various data-nets with a simple plug-in connection just under her ear.

"Do we know which member of the Underground created that data-worm?" Christa finally asked her lover softly. The white haired woman standing by Nyara looked dangerously capable in her leather costume, like a warrior ready for a war.

Nyara disconnected with a pop, winding up the cable and stowing it away in a pocket, "I don't think it was a member of the Underground."

"What?" Christa looked at her in surprise.

"I'd probably have to agree," Yume came out of the crowd, the dark haired android running a series of checks on a portable diagnostic unit she carried. The scar on her cheek, inexpertly repaired, caught the light as she looked up, "It doesn't look like any of our people's work."

"So who was it?" Ariko asked, the redhead following just behind her lover.

"Quicksilver," both Yume and Nyara said the name at the same time.

"Who?" Christa asked, raising an eyebrow.

Nyara gave an 'after-you' gesture towards Yume. "Quicksilver is a legend in hacker circles, an ethical cracker. She would break into a company's systems, then leave them detailed instructions on how to fix the security breeches," Yume explained with a slight smile. "She was never caught."

"Whenever Quicksilver broke in, he/she or it would leave certain calling cards," Nyara took up the explanation, "use certain techniques. The calling cards aren't here, but the methods match." She gave Yume a look, "They never confirmed that it was a woman."

"The work feels like a woman's," Yume shrugged.

"Either way, we owe this Quicksilver a great debt," Christa said seriously.

"Maybe," Nyara agreed, "but I think it's time we take the next step."

"Is that really necessary?" Ariko spoke up tentatively. She flushed under the others' gaze, "This leak will force the police to back off."

"Until next time," Yume said to her lover gently. She looked over at Nyara, "I do have one suggestion to make."

"Yes?" Nyara asked.

"Don't exclude the humans of Lowtown," Yume said firmly, "they have as much reason to hate the uptowners as we do, and in some ways more."

"Not a bad idea," Christa agreed. She looked over at her lover, "We'll put it to a vote, when we decide on what to do."

"All right," Nyara nodded, clearly not happy about the suggestion. She walked up to the podium, looking out at the many androids who were gathered here. Some industrial types, sexaroids, medical, military, and many others, all of them freewills.

"It's time to discuss our next move," Ariko said calmly, her voice carrying throughout the room. She stepped back, "I give you our leader, Nyara."

"Tonight's events have gained us a short respite," Nyara said to them calmly. "A worm, one crafted by a sympathizer with the Underground," she smiled, "has informed the city and beyond of the police's plainly illegal plan to attempt to capture our fellow freewills."

"It does not, however, mean that we're now safe," Nyara continued on more grimly. "The Chasers continue to hunt and destroy androids, and it is already well within their mandate to pursue freewills, too," she added.

Christa winced slightly. She had actually tried to argue Nyara out of mentioning the Chasers specifically, as so far they had only stopped dangerous rogue androids. But Nyara felt the speech would have more impact with them in it, and she couldn't disagree.

"And with sufficient incentive, I suspect that the government might choose to change the laws, make it illegal to be a freewill at all. So now we are faced with a number of difficult choices, ones that we must be ready to make," Nyara finished.

Yume smiled to herself grimly from where she stood nearby the podium. Some of the plans that they were going to discuss tonight had come from her discussions with Nyara and the other leaders of the Underground. She noticed Ariko looked a bit pale, and Yume pulled her closer, sliding a protective arm over her shoulders.

"Our first option is to continue with the way things are now," Nyara said calmly. "We let the legal challenges regarding our status move on to a resolution, and continue with our protests regarding our android rights. We build up sympathizers in various levels of local and federal governments, and dig in for a long period."

There was a certain amount of booing from the audience over that option. The androids were all feeling angry, and just a bit scared, and they wanted to act, to go out and do something. Just sitting tight didn't sound good to them at all.

"Next, we can begin to try and subvert the system," Nyara continued calmly. "Many of our fellow freewills remain undiscovered in positions of relative importance, and they can begin to put grit in the gears of society. We also take up civil disobedience, as well as actively resist the arrest of any freewill." She paused, "And attempt to stop the Chasers from going after freewills."

The audience seemed rather ambivalent about this option. Some seemed to think about it positively, others negatively, but unlike the first option there seemed to be no general opinion. They were clearly divided on the issue.

"The third option that we're considering is possibly the most dangerous to our kind, but it also might have the greatest benefits," Nyara said, "revolution."

You could have heard a pin drop, it got that quiet as the word washed over the crowd. Only the breathing of Christa and a few other human allies was heard. Nyara let the silence deepen, let the idea take hold for awhile, before finally breaking the quiet.

"We've done some computer modeling," Nyara continued, "looked at the idea from every possible angle. We can hold on to Lowtown from the upper levels, with the aid of hidden freewills," she looked over to meet Christa's eyes and smiled, "and of our human allies. We can make this place into a home for us all."

"So what happens if we lose?" a voice called out from the crowd.

"It will likely be an all or nothing proposition," Nyara quietly admitted. "If we loose, we will be exposed, both the hidden freewills and all of our human allies. If we take up that course of action," she smiled grimly, "we must not lose."

Nyara looked over the crowd, meeting the eyes of the freewills there. Chosen by the others as their representatives, it would be these women who would make the decision on what they would do next. "I ask you to consider all three options," she finished, "we will vote in an hour."

"Nice speech, love," Christa said softly as Nyara stepped down.

"Thanks," Nyara sighed as they sat down not far from the podium, listening to the androids beginning to debate among themselves. She smiled, "I know we don't agree on this, and I'm glad that you didn't speak out."

"I didn't think it was my place," Christa admitted. She reached out to put her hand over Nyara's, "The stakes aren't quite the same for me."

"Maybe," Nyara admitted, "but I've always known I could rely on your support, Christa." She smiled, "It's been a great comfort to me."

"I get as much from you," Christa said softly, bending forward to press her lips to Nyara's.

"I've never gotten used to Nyara having a human lover," Yume admitted as she settled down beside Ariko. She smiled wryly, "It's just a little odd."

"They seem to care for each other very much," Ariko's voice was just a bit reproachful. The little redhead sighed, "What do you think will happen?"

Yume pushed her black hair out of her eyes. "I hope they'll vote for number three," she said softly, "but I think they'll go for one or two."

"Why not three?" Ariko asked, though privately she felt a bit relieved.

"The risks are just too great," Yume admitted, "they won't go for it." She smiled wryly, "We don't die, we just wear out. And I don't see any of our comrades risking their long lives that way."

"You might be right," Ariko sighed, "but that's not why I wouldn't vote for three." Yume gave her a look and she smiled sadly, "No matter who won, them or us, a great many people would be hurt. I just don't want to see that happen."

"Some one is going to be hurt if we do nothing, too," Yume pointed out. She smiled, "But I have to admit, I like how you think."

"Thanks," Ariko blushed.

The hour passed by very quickly, and Nyara took the stage once again. She met the eyes of the representatives, trying to weigh their intent. Softly she said, "It's time to vote. Please indicate your choice via a simple one, two or three."

The votes were counted up fairly quickly, and by a slim majority one of the three choices had been passed. Ariko read out the results loudly, her gaze flickering towards Yume a moment, "Option number two has been passed."

"Time to put the word out," Nyara said to Christa softly as they left the building, the androids scattering to various safe locations, "our actions start tomorrow."

To be continued...