Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Chasers: 2075 ❯ Chapter 28

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chasers 2075: Part twenty-seven

Julie puffed out a nervous breath, manning the computer station in the Chaser's section of the massive police complex. Her long black hair was tied back, her police uniform crisp, but she looked a bit frayed around the edges. It had been a full day since the Chief of police had dropped her here to watch the store along with a couple of on call officers and it had only been blind luck that nothing had gone badly wrong.

'Of course,' Julie thought tiredly, 'I don't know what we'll do if there really is an emergency, except for me none of us are trained for it.' She had taken this job for the extra money, she hadn't really expected to have to do this all alone.

There was movement from the squad room, she looked up to take in the figure who was walking in and puffed out a relieved breath. She stood up and saluted the slightly smiling Asian woman, "Section Chief Musashi, it's good to see you, ma'am."

Gwen gave the young woman a smile, "It's good to be here, Julie. The others are all on their way in, and I need to head upstairs to see the Chief."

Julie's eyes widened, "Does he know you're here, ma'am?"

"Not just yet," Gwen strode by in her sleek business suit, walking down the hall to her office. A few moments later she emerged, her coat left behind, a determined glint in her eyes. "Mind the store a bit longer," and with that she was gone.

"It looks like the boss is back," Julie sighed, sitting a bit more comfortably as she waited for the others to arrive.

Gwen walked back to the elevator, stepping inside and rising smoothly to the administrative levels. There were startled glances from the officers she passed as she walked towards the Chief's office, the secretary in front of the door looking mildly alarmed.

"Mrs. Musashi," the woman said faintly, "I wasn't expecting you to...."

"You might want to let the Chief know I'm here," Gwen said to her firmly in the sort of tome she'd use with a green officer.

"Right," she hit the intercom without thinking, speaking into it softly before looking up at Gwen, "You can go right in, ma'am."

"Thank you," Gwen ignored the glare the secretary gave her as she went by her into the well appointed office.

The Chief of police looked up at her, the older man clearly displeased. "Gwen, I thought I asked you to stay away for a few days so...."

"There's already been two android related incidents in the last twenty-four hours," Gwen cut him off crisply as she continued, "one resulting in serious injuries to the officer responding. I don't have time to take a vacation."

"How did you know?" he sat up in surprise, then shook his head. "Nevermind," he sighed, "I don't think I want to know."

"I've been reading the newsfeeds," Gwen said as she sat down across from him, "the fall out from the 'Android roundup' plan seems to be primarily hitting the Governor and the manufacturers. Something about unusually high donations to his reelection campaign?"

"Looks like it," the Chief agreed. He sighed, "Our teams are having no luck in finding out who broke into our computer systems, either."

"If you want I can have my computer expert Beth Harris run though the system," a slight smile teased Gwen's lips, "give us an idea of where the holes are."

"I'd appreciate it," he sighed. The Chief looked tired, "Our communications system is still flooded with protest calls, the Android protesters are picketing the station, and even the ACLU is getting involved with the court case."

Gwen looked at him, shaking her head slightly. "I hate to say it," she said with a slight smile, "but I told you so." She rose to her feet and said, "I want to get my people back to work, get my team out on the street again."

"The Mayor isn't going to be very happy about it," the Chief pushed papers aside on his desk with a sigh, "but call them in."

Gwen gave him a smile over her shoulder as she left, "I already did."

Beth walked into the computer room, and the redhead gasped in surprise as Julie all but threw herself at her in a fierce hug. "I should take off for a day more often," the little redhead smiled, getting in a discrete feel while she was at it.

"Don't you dare," Julie grinned, casually batting away Beth's hands, "you have no idea how good it is to see you."

"Thanks," Beth grinned, green eyes flashing. She went around to her station, calling up data on multiple stations, clearly back in her element. "Two emergency calls," she noted with a frown, "handled by local officers."

"Chief's instructions," Julie said defensively.

Beth gave her a smile, "Not your fault, but I don't like it."

"Damn protesters still recognize me," Kate grumbled as the tall and rangy looking sand haired officer came in, drinking her cup of coffee.

"Kate," Julie grinned at her happily.

Kate growled, "What are you so happy about?"

"She's in love and wants to have your babies," Beth smirked as she worked her terminal, pulling together records from other stations.

"Beth!" Both Julie and Kate protested.

Beth didn't look at all bothered as she waved to the next arrival, "Hey Jen."

The blonde offered her a grin, her eyes narrowing slightly as she saw Kate. Jen nodded to Julie as she addressed the group, "Do we know what's going on?"

"We're back on duty," Gwen said, her silent approach badly startling Jen. Kate just grinned while Beth gave their boss a scolding look. The intense Asian smiled slightly at Julie, "Thanks for keeping an eye on the place while we were gone."

"No problem," Julie said, blushing faintly.

"So what's the plan?" Kate asked simply.

"Beth," Gwen caught the little redhead's eye. "The Chief is concerned with network security after the latest hacker intrusion," she smiled impishly, "he wants a review of the security measures. Can you do that in-between monitoring the system?"

Beth gave her an answering smile, "No problem."

"Kate, Jen," Gwen turned to them, "you two will be answering any emergency calls, with I or Beth supporting. Take some time to clear your paperwork, but be ready to move."

"Paperwork," Kate made a face but headed to her office.

"Yes ma'am," Jen didn't quite salute as she headed off.

"Ah.. Section chief Musashi?" Julie asked softly.

"Yes?" Gwen asked.

"Could I talk to you a moment?" Julie asked tentatively.

"Of course," Gwen lead the young lady up the hallway, the two entering her office. Gwen sat behind her desk and waved Julie to a seat, "What can I do for you?"

"I've been working as a fill-in for the Chasers for the past few years," Julie said nervously, fidgeting in the seat, "and I've been reporting to the Chief and Commissioner from the beginning."

"I know," Gwen said simply.

"I know you're shocked, ma'am, but...," Julie slowed to a stop, blinking at Gwen as she soaked that in. "You knew?" she blurted.

Gwen just smiled as she said, "I knew the chief would want to have an officer he trusted in this unit." She shrugged casually, "I reviewed your record to see if you were qualified, and once I knew that I hired you."

"You don't mind?" Julie squeaked.

"You've done your job competently," Gwen said to her simply, "and I have nothing to hide from my superiors."

Julie got up from her seat, "Does that mean I still have my job?"

"Of course," Gwen smiled as she left. She gave the young woman some time to walk away before sitting back with a sigh and thinking, 'And if I fire you, they'll just replace you with some spy that I don't know about.'

To be continued...