Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Chasers: 2075 ❯ Chapter 32

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chasers 2075: Part thirty-one

Gwen was sitting in her office, cleaning up the last of her day's paperwork when she noticed the signal for an incoming call. "Yes?" the elegantly dressed Asian activated the com. and a half-second later a familiar face appeared on the screen.

Colonel Amanda Davidson of the Japan Self Defense looked out at her, her short blonde hair falling into her eyes. She looked tired and a bit grim as she said, "I was trying to reach you earlier, but I couldn't get through."

"I was a little busy," Gwen pushed her black hair back. 'It was probably while I was handling the fallout from the whole Nutech incident,' she thought, 'especially the complaints from that weasel I punched.' Gracefully she smiled, "Thank you for getting back to me."

The Colonel's face was expressionless as she nodded slightly and asked, "May I ask why you wanted to reach me?"

Gwen looked at her former commander and realized that the woman was playing dumb. "The recon androids," she decided to play along as she informed her, "they're loose in the city."

That clearly surprised Amanda, the older woman sitting up and fixing her with a look. "Our contact at Nutech never said...." she trailed off.

'Obviously her superiors are good at holding back info, too,' Gwen mused. She quietly summarized Jen and Kate's encounter with the androids, deciding not to mention Beth's illegal raiding of the Nutech computer systems. "What do you think the androids will do next?" she asked, curious to see if the Colonel agreed with their own guesses.

"They'll sell off the ambulance and medical supplies for seed money," Amanda confirmed that, "but their next move depends on what they're programs have decided on the situation."

"Or if they've gone freewill," Gwen offered.

"It shouldn't be possible," Amanda said seriously. She looked thoughtful, "I can't authorize tactical support for your officers, our ability to operate in the cities are pretty limited."

Gwen shook her head, "That wasn't why I called. Back in the old days I was a sweeper for you, do you know if they're any other former operatives that might be for hire?"

Amanda raised her eyebrows, "You think you might need them?"

"The situation here is already unstable," Gwen answered seriously, "and adding in the recon models will only make that worse."

"I'll put out feelers," Amanda agreed, "and maybe we can get together for drinks in a few days, talk that and other things over."

"I'll look forward to it," Gwen answered as she signed off. 'Amanda must have information she wants to pass on,' she thought, 'that she can't give over an unsecured line.'

Gwen finished her work, closing the files on her computer as she put certain security protocols in place. she didn't think anyone would want to raid her system but the overall vulnerability of the police system required some caution. She got up from her chair and slung her dress coat on, feeling an odd bit of nervousness when suddenly the chime for an incoming call came on again.

"Damn," Gwen muttered, walking back and leaning over her chair to accept the call, blinking in surprise at the woman's face, "Alexis?"

"I'm glad I caught you," Dr. Alexis Jameson pushed her glasses up, "would you like to go out with me tonight, we could catch up...."

"Sorry," Gwen shook her head as she said with a smile, "I have a date."

To say that Alexis was startled would have been an understatement. "I didn't realize you were dating," she managed to say.

Gwen felt an odd sort of irritation at her former lover's reaction. 'She really didn't expect me to stay celibate after we broke up?' she thought. Aloud she said, "Do you want to meet later? I'm pretty sure I've got nothing planned tomorrow..."

"No," Alexis shook her head, smiling wryly. "It's not that urgent," she softly reassured her, "I'll just try to catch up with you in a few days." Uncharacteristically she simply disconnected, leaving only a blank screen in her wake.

"That was different," Gwen said with a sigh, closing up her office and then walking up to the computer center where her date was waiting.

Beth was perched in the middle of the computer center, typing away as she monitored several computer screens at the same time. She picked up a cup of coffee and slurped some back, the typing of the other hand not even slowing. Gwen cleared her throat and Beth grinned, "Be with you in a minute, I'm just finishing an upgrade on our firewalls."

"That Trojan Horse attack is still bothering you?" Gwen asked, referring to the counter attack the Nutech systems had unleashed on their systems. It had taken both Gwen and Beth to deal with it and the viruses it produced, long enough to leave Kate and Jen all on their own.

"I got sloppy," Beth finished up her typing then stretched out tiredly, "I'm not letting something like that happen again."

Gwen had to look away as Beth's stretch pulled up the little T-shirt that she wore tight across her breasts, highlighting those round orbs of flesh. Beth usually wore the raciest outfits she could, and even today in just shorts and shirt she looked good. 'It doesn't normally bother me,' Gwen thought, 'why is it getting to me now?'

Before Gwen could say anything Julie rushed in, the black haired officer tossing them both nervous smiles. "I'm here to relieve you, Beth," she said with a smile.

"Thanks," Beth stepped out from the circular arrangement of computer equipment that made up her work station. "All standard pager numbers are encoded automatically," she said as she picked up a small backpack, "but both Kate and Jen are off duty tonight, too. Make sure that it's a real incident before calling them in."

"I remember how annoyed Kate was the last time there was a false alarm," Julie said seriously, "I do not want that to happen again."

"Well, I hope you have a quiet night," Gwen gravely offered as Beth lead the two of them from the room, Julie watching with a thoughtful expression.

They walked down the hallway, Beth smiling slightly. "You haven't even asked where we're going," the redhead smiled impishly.

Gwen activated the lift, stepping inside before Beth could and then sending them down to the parkade. "I don't mind the occasional surprise," she said mildly while trying to mask her own nervousness, "as long as it's not too bad."

Beth chuckled softly, "Nothing too bad, I promise. A quiet little restaurant and maybe a bit of dancing afterwards, if you like."

"I haven't been out dancing in... too long," Gwen answered as they came to a halt. "My vehicle or yours?" she asked.

"Yours," Beth answered promptly, "my car is a wreck."

Gwen chuckled as she lead them past various police vehicles, "I suppose most of your money goes into those computer cases in your apartment?"

"Of course," Beth grinned. She sighed happily as they reached Gwen's car and purred, "It really is a beauty."

The sports car gleamed silver in it's usual spot, a single gesture from Gwen's hand deactivating all of the security systems and reactivating the onboard artificial intelligence of the sleek little vehicle. The driver and passenger doors popped open and both women climbed inside, safety straps automatically deploying to hold them in place.

"Good evening Ms. Musashi," the car's smoothly female voice said as the AI paused to search it's memory, "and guest."

"Register as guest Beth Harris," Gwen instructed, "standard privileges." She took the wheel as she added, "Manual driving configuration, please."

"Welcome Ms. Harris," it actually sounded welcoming as it added, "manual driving engaged."

"Very nice," Beth murmured, "is it an Athena configuration?

"An older Pallas system, actually," Gwen answered as she started up the car and headed to the exit, "I've just kept up on all the upgrades." She looked over at Beth and asked, "Where to?"

"Uptown," Beth said, "the recreation district." She paused a second while looking over at Gwen a bit nervously, "We've got reservations at the Rose."

"It usually takes months to get in there," Gwen commented as she smoothly directed the car up the access ramp to street level. The armored exit doors irised aside silently, and she slid out into the rapid flow of traffic.


"I've been thinking about something like this for awhile," Beth said as she smoothly pulled her shirt off, revealing that she wasn't wearing anything under it.

"What are you...?" Gwen very nearly swerved the car off the road as Beth limberly wiggled out of her pants.

"I can't take you out dressed so casually," Beth shrugged. She grabbed her pack and pulled out a black top first, slipping it on while she explained, "You look delicious dressed in your suit but jeans won't cut it."

"Right," Gwen croaked, focusing her vision on the road ahead. "Uptown map, please," she ordered the computer.

"Map," the computer replied as an image formed in midair beside her, showing both the fastest route to uptown, and the layout of the upper levels of the massive city.

"Thanks," Gwen answered. She slid up a final ramp, and almost gasped. Up above her, she saw the stars, ones that would be hidden from view below this mountainous level of the city.


"It's beautiful," Beth murmured, Tugging a skirt up her smooth legs. Her clothes settled without a wrinkle, the little redhead looking elegant in basic black.

Up here, Gwen's sleek silver vehicle barely fit in at all. The high priced vehicles that purred their way down the streets, the pollution free electrical engines carrying the people of this level around, were far more expensive than anyone on a lower level could afford. She drove between the silvery towers, breathing the purer air, then finally shook herself.

"Not so much as you," Gwen looked over at Beth with a smile.

"You're a charmer," Beth smiled, putting her hand on Gwen's arm.

To be continued...