Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Chasers: 2075 ❯ Chapter 34

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chasers 2075: Part thirty-three
 
"All humans and androids are brothers!" the young woman cried out, frantically waving around the sign.
 
Using a throat-mic another man projected his voice right across the courtyard to say, "Androids are people, too!"
 
"Free the Okuda four!" was a statement that repeated, too.
 
Colonel Amanda Davidson of the Japan Self Defense Corps turned away from the window with a amused smile, her short blonde hair falling into her blue eyes. Looking over the group she asked, "The Okuda four?"
 
"A group of protesters that were arrested trying to shut down an android research facility," Dr. Richard Davis answered her, grey hair tied back loosely, "the people down there argue that the research involved was illegal."
 
"Sorry to keep you waiting," Mr. Alexander said sheepishly, the representative of Nu-tech loking more than a bit stressed as he entered the meeting room, "I had another meeting." He was oddly rumpled looking for an executive, and quite strangely his nose looked like it had been broken recently.
 
The Commisoner looked tired from where he sat at the head of the table, as if he had been awake for most of the night. "All right," Nicholas looked around with a sigh, "now that most of the major players are here, let's talk."
 
"I'm still a little confused Gwen wasn't invited," Richard scowled.
 
"Officially I don't want the Chasers involved with this meeting," the Colonel said crisply, "especially with the leaks we've been having."
 
"You suspect a member of the Chasers?" Nicholas asked neutrally.
 
"No way to know," Amanda answered, "from what I understand the crackdown information was released to too many people to accurately determine who leaked it."
 
"And Gwen not here to defend them," Richard said coldly.
 
The others in the room didn't comment on that. "This is an informal briefing on the Nu-tech research and development project that produced the rogue recon models," Mr. Alexander said, ruffling nervously through his files.
 
"Beigh given under protest from the Japan Self Defence Corps," Amanda added crisply. She smiled slightly as she sat down at the table with the others, "All right, now that I'm on record as saying that what do you want to know?"
 
"Weaknesses and capabilities would be good," Commisioner Nicholas said dryly. "We're aware their internals are different than standard androids."
 
"That's not quite as simple as you might think," Mr. Alexander sighed. He rubbed his nose unconsciously, "You see, the androids incorperated variable internal geometry."
 
"Shit," Richard breathed out. Noting the blank look on Nicholas' face he added, "Each of these androids has different internal designs."
 
"I got that," he sighed. Nicholas looked over at Mr. Alexander to ask, "Will the spinal shot work on them, at least?"
 
"Yes, but less effectively," Amanda said. She smiled wryly, "Studying the Chasers reports we spotted that problem and wanted to guard against it."
 
"How?" Richard asked.
 
"Difused nervous system," Mr. Alexander answered, "short of blowing a very big hole right through the middle of one you can't disrupt the signals."
 
"The system also compensates for damage to some extent," Amanda continued, "re-routing data around breaks in the system."
 
"So stopping them is going to be a bitch," Nicholas groaned. He ran a hand through his hair, "What other bad news do you have for us?"
 
"They can't be tracked, for one," Mr. Alexander confessed, "and their capacity to learn and evolve is about twice what a standard android has. They'll blend in very fast, avoid situations where their cover can be blown and are extremely dangerous if discovered."
 
Before someone could ask Amanda stepped up, "We programmed them using military models along with bits from insurgency simulations and terrorist manuals. They can create explosives and arms from common items as well as capitalize on whatever resources are available."
 
"And we have these things loose in the city?" Richard blinked.
 
"And because they can learn we can't try to predict where they'll go or what they'll do based on their programs," Nicholas reasoned.
 
"The longer they're out in the field the more dangerous they become," Mr. Alexander agreed.
 
"We tried using a recall signal as soon as they went rogue," Amanda said, "no response. We were organizing a fast response team when the Chasers went in first, though I suspect that we wouldn't have done much better."
 
"Considering Gwen used to work for you, I'm not surprised," Richard noted.
 
"What assistance can we reasonably expect?" Nicholas asked Amanda softly.
 
"Officially, none," Amanda said regretfully, "the Self Defence Corps can't be seen as being connected to this situation."
 
"And unofficially?" Richard provided.
 
Amanda flashed a smile, "I'm already making arrangements with Gwen to bring some former military types in, plausable deniability intact."
 
"How bad is this going to get?" Richard asked. "We can assume they're operating on some form of their basic programing...."
 
"Sadly, it depends on which of their senarios they're running on," Mr. Alexander admitted before looking over at Amanda.
 
"There are several senarios they could be operating under," Amanda sighed. "One, a standard recon, two, sabotage and covert warfare or three...." she hesitated, "an assasination protocol against a political leader."
 
"Assasination?!" Nicholas blurted.
 
"They were intended to be expendable field operatives for the military," Mr. Alexander said stiffly, "that included the option of sanctioning targets."
 
"I can see why you want deniability on this whole situation," Richard observed, "if any of this got out into the papers you'd be fired."
 
"Or resign," Amanda agreed.
 
"All right," Nicholas got up with a sigh, "I think we're done, at least for now. I want a transcript passed on to Chief Musashi and I'll inform the Governor personally." Grabbing his papers he was gone, leaving the three to depart when they were ready.
 
"I don't envy you that job," Mr. Alexander sighed. "I'll have the techs go over the files, see if we can find any more useful data."
 
"Ah," Richard hesitated, "you aren't still anngry with the Chief over the nose?"
 
Mr. Alexander gave him a look like he didn't want to be reminded about that. "I can respect why she did it," he said stiffly.
 
Once he had left Amanda gave Richard a wry smile, "You had to ask?"
 
"Just giving them a little reminder," Richard got up, grabbing his cane, "that it's just not a good idea to mess with Gwen Musashi."
 
Amanda looked at him thoughtfully, "And is that intended for me, too?"
 
"You can take it as you like, Colonel," Richard answered as they left the room together.
 
"I'm the one who taught Gwen how to play the game, Doctor," Amanda answered calmly, "I know the rules as well as she does."
 
To be continued....