Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Chasers: 2075 ❯ Chapter 39

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chasers 2075: Part thirty-eight
 
Beth Harris frowned as she worked, compiling the various files then sorting it into a series of documents detailing the computer problems. Her report itself was simple: headquarters' system was a mess, the security systems so badly employed to allow almost unlimited access.
 
'Just wish I knew how it all happened,' Beth thought as she got up from the borrowed terminal, her red hair bouncing slightly against her neck. 'If I didn't know better I'd think the damage had been done deliberately...' she mused as she walked out. The lifts and a not so short walk brought her back to familiar territory, the section designated for the unit nicknamed 'Chasers.'
 
"Hey, Beth," Julie smiled from where the black haired young woman was sitting in the middle of the computer center.
 
Beth grinned back, "How's it feel to be in the hot-seat today?"
 
"Uncomfortable," Julie conceded. She dropped her voice a little, "Watch out for the boss, I think she's in a mood."
 
Beth frowned in concern, "I'd better check in."
 
"It's your skin," Julie sighed, watching Beth leave with a odd look. Most of the time Beth would tease her at least a little, yet today nothing.
 
Beth went down the hall to the door marked 'Section Chief' and knocked, hearing Gwen's voice call, "Enter."
 
"Reporting my return from enemy territory," Beth saluted mockingly as she entered.
 
Gwen Musashi was beautiful, though Beth knew her opinion was a bit biased. The black haired Asian woman was dressed as elegantly as ever, and Beth could easily imagine the body that filled those clothes out so nicely. Her expression was faintly amused as she asked Beth, "Surely it wasn't that bad?"
 
"Take the ongoing tension between us and the regular police and add in having a outsider go over their system for problems..." Beth shrugged elegantly.
 
"How bad is it?" Gwen asked intently.
 
"Their security is crap," Beth said promptly, "and there are traces of multiple incursions. I've done a rough fix, but they need a overhaul of their entire security scheme."
 
"Why didn't their regular computer team spot it?" Gwen blinked.
 
"The regulars are just officers who have computer experience, they have their own case loads to worry about," Beth explained, "as long as it looked all right, they approved the system. The hack made everything look good on the surface, you have to dig to realize what was wrong."
 
Gwen thought about it a moment, looking up towards the roof of her office. "Was it an inside job?" she asked quietly.
 
"I dunno," Beth admitted. "Back when I was hacking I could have pulled something like this off, but I'd leave traces. I couldn't find any signs of that when I was checking," she finished.
 
"Gah," Gwen made a face. "There's not much we can do on our end," she murmured, "other than maintain our own security."
 
"Which gets problematic, considering headquarters needs to have access to our systems," Beth agreed glumly. She hesitated a moment, about to say something then shut her mouth.
 
"What?" Gwen asked, spotting the motion.
 
Beth looked just a bit guilty, "I've set up certain firewalls around our confidential files and security systems to flag certain kinds of access, even if it's official."
 
"You do realize that's in violation of several regulations?" Gwen smiled, "Good job."
 
"Thanks," Beth grinned. She hesitated, looking up at Gwen tentatively, "Do you have anything planned tonight?"
 
"No," Gwen smiled slightly, "do you have any ideas?"
 
Beth just smiled, eyes twinkling.
 
Meanwhile, a group of women were leaving a detention center in Lowtown, the constant twilight of the lower levels of the city making it difficult to tell the time. Dr. Alexis Jameson walked with several of them to the street as the black haired woman sighed, "Well, that was the first time I've been arrested in a while."
 
"What, you used to do it regularly?" the dark haired android asked, a faint scar marking her face from where someone had used a simple sealer to close a gash.
 
"In my younger days, Yume," Alexis said honestly.
 
"I'm still getting used to it," the little redhead said. Ariko smiled slightly, "I'm glad you two were along with me."
 
Yume reached to take Ariko's hand, squeezing it gently. "Glad to help you," she said, looking down to meet her eyes warmly.
 
'People who say that freewills aren't sentient should meet these two,' Alexis thought fondly. She smiled at them wryly as the rest of their crowd began to disperse, "Could I beg a lift up to where transit vehicles will pickup?"
 
"Your office is in Midtown, right?" Yume asked as she lead the way over to a battered van, "I could take you all the way there, if you don't mind riding in my junk heap."
 
"I'd appreciate it," Alexis climbed into the rear seat, leaving the front for Yume and Ariko. Locking the seat belt around her waist she added cheerfully, "And this junk heap isn't much worse than what I used to drive."
 
"Somehow I can't quite see that," Ariko conceded, looking back at the nicely dressed dark haired woman with glasses.
 
"I had a rebellious stage," Alexis conceded. She was going to say something else when she got a good look at her watch and cried, "I'm late!"
 
Yume exchanged a look with Ariko before asking mildly, "Should I hurry?"
 
"My fault," Alexis shook her head, "I even forgot the appointment was today." She dialed the cellphone, then waited with a frown, "Where...?"
 
"I think getting arrested would be a good excuse?" Ariko offered mildly.
 
Yume chuckled as she snuck a glance at Alexis, "Guess not."
 
"Kate!" Alexis barked as the phone was picked up.
 
"Gee," Kate sounded innocent, "here I am, sitting in front of your office and nobody's here. I'm so shocked."
 
"Why do I doubt that?" Alexis mused. She smiled wryly, "You heard about my being arrested in a protest, I take it?"
 
"Gwen was amused," Kate said honestly.
 
"I'm going to get a lecturing phone call from her, huh?" Alexis sighed.
 
Kate chuckled, "Probably, though I think she's a wee bit distracted."
 
"Hmm?" Alexis asked.
 
"Gwen went out on a date recently," Kate passed the gossip on.
 
Alexis felt an odd chill settle in her bones, silently cursing her reaction. She and Gwen had dated, but they had been broken up longer than they had been together. Clearing her throat she changed the subject, "Do you want to reschedule for later this week?"
 
"Yes," Kate answered promptly.
 
Alexis actually blinked in surprise before asking, "No arguments? I thought you hated having these sessions."
 
"You're growing on me," Kate paused, "like a fungus."
 
"Gee, thanks," Alexis grumbled before setting a date and hanging up.
 
Yume actually chuckled softly as Alexis hung up. "Interesting friends you have, from what I heard on this end."
 
Alexis smiled back wryly as she put her phone back, "You have no idea."
 
To be continued....