Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Chasers: 2075 ❯ Chapter 43

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chasers 2075

“Mr Mayor,” Gwen Musahi reached out to take his hand, the Asian woman studying the larger, black haired man thoughtfully.

“I wish we were meeting again under more pleasant circumstances,” the mayor said stiffly. John Brown clearly looked unhappy as he sat down behind his desk in the temporary City Hall, the explosions of a week ago damaging the old facility too much to be useful.

“I do too, of course,” Gwen agreed as she sat down smoothly, her business suit neat and badge clipped to her vest pocket.

John studied her a moment, “There are officials in the Police department and City Hall asking for your hide.”

“I’m aware of that,” Gwen looked at him with her odd grey eyes, “and I also know you won’t do it.”

“Why not?” the Mayor asked flatly.

“Because,” Gwen met his gaze, “prosecuting me means revealing I set up my department as a back up command center illegally, and would also show exactly how flat footed this entire emergency revealed the police to be.”

John tapped a ten on the desk then smiled reluctantly. “That’s what the Commissioner told me you’d say,” he admitted. “So how long have you had Chaser’s headquarters set up as a emergency command center?”

“Do you really want me to answer that?” Gwen smiled wryly, “If I do get charged you might have to testify.”

“Gah,” the Mayor made a face. “The Comish is being very wary about speculation on who set the bombs. Do you know?” he asked.

“We have limited data to work with,” Gwen said apologetically. “All the bombs were made using commercial components using different designs available from the internet,” she revealed, “and security data files were wiped in a hack that occurred during the attack.”

“Damn,” the Mayor muttered, “is there anything you can tell me?”

“Just this,” Gwen paused a moment, “most bombers rely on just one type of bomb or explosive device... they become experts on it, almost fixated. Whoever did this does not fit the usual profile at all.”

“So it’s a organization,” John smiled hungrily, “like the Android terrorists?”

“Probably not,” Gwen replied honestly.

“Why?” John frowned.

“How do they benefit?” Gwen pointed out. A grim smile, “This sort of strike should have been followed up by a threat or demands. Instead we’ve had a week of silence.”

“Hmph,” John sat back, clearly unhappy. The Mayor fiddled with papers on his desk, “I understand you’ve requested more officers?”

“For several months now, yes,” Gwen nodded.

“The Commissioner has suggested approving a civilian assistant and another patrol officer,” the Mayor grumped, “I’m signing off on that. However, I want to see some results in return, is that understood?”

“Of course sir,” Gwen rose to salute. “Is that all?”

“Yes,” he said flatly as she left. The Mayor sat back in his chair once she was gone, them picked up the phone. “You’re sure we can’t fire her?” he asked after dialing.

“It’d be political suicide at this time.”

“She’s no hero,” the Mayor scowled, “just a uppity....”

“Don’t even say that in private, John. She arguably saved a lot of lives after the explosions. For the time being, she’s untouchable.”

“For the time being,” John agreed. But with a feral smile, “But as soon as I can, I’m going to fire her ass.”

“That’s your privilege. Just don’t do it without justification first.”

Gwen Musahi smiled wryly as she left the tower, heading back several blocks to the older Police Headquarters. Several officers seemed wary of her and others equally welcoming as the various politically aligned cops in the department tried to determine which way the wind was blowing, so to speak.

“Hello Beth, Naru,” Gwen said calmly as she entered the computer core that was Beth’s personal playground. A hybrid of standard police tech and Beth’s designs it was a remarkable machine... one that had recently proved it could even help run a city.

“Morning,” Naru smiled as the tall young woman poured Beth a cup of coffee, both woman a bit smudged from working on the computer core again.

“Hanging around again?” Gwen asked, still mildly astonished at seeing the young woman who looked like a softer, gentler version of Kate.

“Yes, ma’am. I was even thinking of asking if there were any volunteer positions available,” Naru smiled sweetly.

“I might talk to you about that later,” Gwen gave her one of her more enigmatic smiles as she went down the hall.

“Gwen,” the older man nodded as he walked down the hall towards her, his wooden cane tapping softly, “Kate’s been busy. I finished examinations of both androids she brought in, reports on your desk.”

“Thank you, Richard,” Gwen smiled, “anything unusual?”

Dr. Richard Davis shrugged slightly, “Standard logic failure in both.”

They parted as Gwen reached a closed door and knocked firmly. “Kate?” she called.

“Yo,” Kate responded distractedly.

Gwen pushed the door open, surveying the somewhat ordered chaos that ruled her second in command’s office. Papers, a extremely old fashioned fetish, covered the desk and floor, while old coffee cups, drink cans and at least one take out container hung about.

“Heard of housekeeping?” Gwen asked as Kate turned from pinning a notice to her wall.

“No, but if you hum a few bars I’ll fake it,” Kate said as she took a seat, “what’s up?”

“I’ve gotten clearance to bring in a new officer and a civilian aide,” Gwen began.

“And you want Naru for the civvy,” Kate said, stretching out in her chair tiredly.

“Yes,” Gwen admitted, “she’s done surprisingly well the last week. But if you object I can consider another candidate....”

Kate frowned, tapping a finger on her desk top. “No, I think you should hire her,” she finally said reluctantly, “she clicks with all of us. My own issues with her are more.. personal.”

“Talked to the family yet?”Gwen asked gently.

“My Aunt called to check up on Naru,” Kate admitted, “we talked a bit, too.” She flashed a grin, “Cantankerous old bird, reminded me of me.”

“I’m glad you got along,” Gwen chuckled as she left the office.

“Don’t bet on it,” Kate called as Gwen left.

Gwen shook her head, smiling wryly. It was too bad Jen and Julie weren’t in today, she’d rather have broken the news to Julie that she wasn’t becoming a full time Chaser in person. As it was Julie would hear about the Chasers having a opening via the grapevine, and would probably come to Gwen asking about it. All very awkward.

To be continued....