Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Chasers: 2075 ❯ Chapter 46

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chasers: Networking

Aria Harrison paused, the elegant redhead android sweeping her surroundings with her eyes. Once called ‘Alpha’ of the recon androids she was adapting to assuming a more human role, while also watching out for her comrades.

The streets of Lowtown were lit once more by artificial light, power illegally tapped from the city’s hydro services. Stolen light fixtures had replaced the ones destroyed in the riots and the under city was now being patrolled by volunteer cops. The pressure cooker feeling in the dim underneath of the city seemed to have been eased, but the community was still searching for a new direction.

‘I never expected this to happen because of our actions,’ Aria admitted to herself as she went to a now deserted storefront that she and her comrades had recently appropriated for a new home base, ‘were we arrogant?’

Barb Mack the former Beta nodded a greeting as Aria walked inside, lowering her pistol. The black haired woman was nearly as tall as Aria but her build was a bit more muscular, almost boyish. “So, did you contact the new leaders?” she asked curiously.

“So far they have a ruling council,” Aria looked amused, “though it looks like Nyara and Christa are the ones running the show.”

“As Deanne predicted,” Barb noted, nodding to where Delta was working away at a modified PC. It looked like it started out as several off the shelf models, but now all the computers were interconnected and humming softly.

Gerri was checking over their arsenal, the little blonde looking oddly out of place as she hefted the large rail gun. “I noticed several youngsters checking out the base,” she noted calmly, “we may need to move.” She smiled wickedly, “Or I could teach them a lesson....”

“No,” Deanne shook her head, brown hair shimmering in the light, “casualties would draw attention to us.”

“She’s right,” Aria agreed even as she made a mental note of her commanding tone. They were all gradually moving away from their original programing, but it was wise to retain a clear chain of command. ‘I’ll let it go for now,’ she silently mused, ‘but if she continues, I may have to take steps.’

“So, what do Nyara and the others have to say?” Beta asked curiously as they perched on stools and other pieces of found furniture,

“The meeting happened near their emergency hospital,” Alpha began coolly....

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0


There was still a feeling of urgency around the makeshift hospital as humans and androids worked together to take care of the city’s wounded. Outside the tents a few half trained nurses did triage, assessing injuries and putting the wounded in order of need. Within the tents were improvised operating rooms, cobbled together equipment and alcohol filled basins for sterilization. A few volunteer doctors from Uptown worked beside Lowtown clinic workers and med students, doing all they could to save lives.

Aria helped support the young woman, keeping her weight off her injured leg as they made their way to the waiting area. “Thank you,” the little green haired woman said wryly, slumping down on a unoccupied mat beside other injured.

“Least I could do,” Aria said with a little shrug. If she had wanted to she could have carried the woman here, but she knew that would draw too much attention.

“Name’s Ratt,” she offered her hand and as Aria introduced herself she smiled. “Well, Aria,” she said firmly, “I run with the Westside Preds, if you’re out there and need a hand, say my name. I’ll come running.”

“I appreciate it,” Aria stoop up from where she had been crouching beside the woman.

Ratt watched Aria stride off, her eyes thoughtful as she murmured, “Bit cold, but what a bod. Wonder if she swings that way?”

Aria hid a smile as she walked to the warehouse that was housing the government that had formed in Lowtown after the riots. A tall black haired woman stood guard by the doors, dressed in a simple t-shirt and jeans but wearing the arm band that represented the towns informal army slash police department.

“Who do I talk to if I want to volunteer?” Aria asked, wondering if she was dressed casually enough. Instead of her usual impeccable suits she wore a simple suit jacket and pants, the jacket unbuttoned to reveal a slightly dusty white shirt.

“What do you want to volunteer for?” the woman asked practically.

“I and some friends of mine have some... unique talents, let’s say,” Aria said evasively, “Miss....?

“Yume,” the tall woman answered, studying her thoughtfully. “Military?”

“What makes you think that?” Aria asked calmly, not denying it but not necessarily confirming it either.

“You got the command presence about you,” Yume answered her bluntly, “it’s kind of hard to disguise.”

Aria sighed but had to nod slightly, “You could say that.”


“Then I think I know who you should see,” Yume nodded as she called a coworker to cover for her then lead her inside.

The inside of the warehouse was set up with several sections for different purposes. In one area a map of lowtown was set up with areas designating who controlled them, access points
to Uptown marked in red. Another section seemed like a improvised council room, men and women meeting as they talked loudly. A third area was odd to the side, a small office occupied by two distinctive people.

Christa was human, her white hair falling around a gentle but strong face as she reviewed data on a portable computer padd. Beside her was Nyara, the tawny haired sexaroid who had developed free will and had become one of the top leaders in the android rights movement.

“Christa, Nyara,” Yume nodded a greeting, “I think this lady needs to see you.”

“My name is Aria,” she introduced herself, “I want to offer my services to Lowtown’s provisional government.”

“And what services are those?” Christa asked curiously.

Aria mentally prayed Delta’s hack was as good as she claimed, ‘I’m former Special Forces.” As both women sat up and took notice she continued, “I’m a crack shot, I can get into and out of most places and I’m trained in urban combat.”

Nyara gave her a intent look, “We’ll have to confirm your background.”

“You’re certainly welcome to,” Aria nodded pleasantly, “but in the meantime, I want to help however I can.”

Christa exchanged a thoughtful look with Nyara then asked, “Do you have a means we can contact you?”

“I’ve got a disposable phone,” Aria held up the cheap mobile phone that used the global freenet to broadcast, “the sound stinks but it picks up all over the city.”

“That’s the kind of thing we’re using too,” Nyara admitted, “other than a few land lines. We’ll save your number and contact you once you check out.”

“I’ll look forward to it,” Aria smiled.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Deanne finished making notes of Aria’s observations, setting them up in her memory for storage. “So we know the leaders of the Lowtown now,” she noted.

“All those who were present, anyway,” Barb noted. “There were members of the primary gangs, the local Mercy Mission and the Android Rights movement.”

“And nearly a fifty/fifty split in humans and androids,” Aria added thoughtfully.

Gerri looked amused, “So all it took was a man made disaster and revolution to make humans and androids equal? Let’s do it to the upper city too.”

“Don’t joke,” Deanne sighed.

“Who’s joking?” Gerri shot back with a grin.

“Before we even attempted anything with Uptown,” Aria said grimly, “we need to see if this situation is stable. If they break up into infighting, we’ll know we can’t spread this sort of social change.”

“Precisely,” Barb agreed.

“I was joking,” Gerri sighed after a moment. She got up as she casually asked, “Do you think it was wise to claim military service?”

“It seemed the best way to claim the sort of skills we have,” Aria shrugged.

“Our covers will hold,” Deanne said seriously.

“Probably,” Gerri said as she walked to the ladder leading to the roof, “but I’m setting up with a sniper rifle on the roof, just in case.”

“Go ahead,” Barb nodded, “and thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Gerri smiled as she started up the ladder, rifle over her shoulder, a box of ammunition already waiting up there.

“Is it me,” Deanne sighed softly, “or is she becoming a really, really big gun nut?”

To be continued....