Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Chornus ❯ Volume One: Chapter One: Anna Jane ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Anna Jane

Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Anna Jane. Already eight years old and was quite an odd child. She would stare off into space for hours at a time. Anna Jane didn't socialize with children her age. Or anyone else for that fact.

“I just don't like people,” she said. Her father couldn't figure her out. That didn't matter to her. Anna Jane loved the outdoors. She never had an interest in dolls or cute girly things. Her two prized possessions with a small her grandfather gave her last year and a small light brown teddy bear she affectionately called Teddy.

“Wake up, AJ!” her father said. “We're here.” Anna Jane awoke in the backseat of the car. She looked out the window. The luscious green seemed to pop out from the glass. Anna Jane's eyes widened.

“Wow!” she said. She opened the car door and ran outside.

“Slow down!” her father yelled. His girlfriend rolled her eyes in the passenger seat. Anna Jane ran to the trees. She held out her arms and smiled.

“Oh,” she said. Anna Jane turned and ran back to the car. She crawled in and unbuckled Teddy's seatbelt.

“Come look at this,” she said to the stuffed bear. The girlfriend groaned.

“Does she have to talk to her bear like that?” she asked.

“Let her be,” the dad said. The girlfriend rolled her eyes.

“Charlie!” she wailed. The conversation faded away as Anna Jane and Teddy walked into the woods.

---------

It felt like home. Anna Jane could hear the birds singing overhead. The city never had anything so beautiful.

“See Teddy?” she asked. “Mummy's house doesn't have any of this.” The girl held Teddy's nose to her ear.

“Hm?” Anna Jane asked. “Yes. I love it too.” The sun spilled through the high trees. London never had such life in the shops and streets. There were parks, but it wasn't the same. Nature should not be small. This summer would be perfect.

“Want to go down to the lake?” she asked Teddy. “So do I. Let's go.” She walked down the dirt road. Suddenly, she heard something jumping in the trees.

“Hm?” Anna Jane asked. She looked up at the full trees.

“Hello?” she asked. Only the wind in the trees were her answer. Anna Jane narrowed her eyes. She started walking slower.

“Come on!” the girl shouted. “I saw you. Come down. We want to talk to you.” She held Teddy upwards for a look.

“See anything?” she asked. Anna Jane slowly moved the stuffed bear from left to right. Both stayed quiet as she held her breath.

Anna Jane whipped around when she heard a breach snap. A little girl stood inches away. She looked about four or five years old. She wore all white. Her white bangs nearly covered her eyes. Anna Jane held Teddy to her chest.

“Who are you?” she asked. The girl in white slowly lifted her head like an automaton.

“Are you Anna Jane?” she asked. Anna Jane blinked as she cocked her head.

“Why?” she asked. The little girl in white pointed at her.

“I found you!” she shouted. “I finally found you!” The girl ran forward and tagged on Anna Jane's arm.

“Hey!” she yelled. She tried to pull away, but the small girl wouldn't let go.

“Let's go! Let's go! Let's go!” she shouted. The girl pulled her down to the lake.

“Hey! Slow down! Slow down!” Anna Jane shouted as she was dragged along. “Why are you taking me to the lake?” The girl didn't answer. Both of them and Teddy made it to the lake. Anna Jane's jaw dropped.

“Wow!” she shouted. Th younger girl turned to her with her arms outstretched.

“Welcome,” she said. “We have been expecting you. My mistress has an offer for you.”

Fun in the Sunshine