Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Chornus ❯ Volume One: Chapter Two: George ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

George

Anna Jane blinked.

“What?” she asked. The smaller girl grinned.

“We need you to find a treasure,” she said.

“What kind of treasure?” Anna Jane asked.

“Our lost home of Chronus,” the girl in white said. “Long ago, we lived in a beautiful kingdom. Flowers as far as the eye could see. Everyone was happy and healthy. Every day looked beautiful.” The girl started to frown.

“But then the darkness wiped it all out,” she added.

“And you want me to find it for?” Anna Jane asked.

“Yes,” the girl said.

“But why me?” the older girl asked.

“It was the prophecy,” the girl said.

“The prophecy?” Anna Jane asked.

“Yes,” she said.

“AJ!” they heard her father yell. Anna Jane clutched Teddy to her chest.

“I have to go,” she said.

“Wait!” the younger girl shouted.

“I will be back, I promise,” Anna Jane said. She turned and ran down the dirt path.

“Come back! Wait!” the girl in white shouted. She flew after her to keep up.

---------

Charlie and his girlfriend waited at the cabin. Anna Jane raced over to them.

“Where have you been?” the girlfriend asked.

“Down by the lake,” she said. “Some girl pulled me down there.”

“Honey, there is no one else around,” Charlie said. “The nearest village is kilometers away.”

“But…” his daughter said.

“Come inside,” he said. Charlie nudged Anna Jane along. The spent the afternoon unpacking. The cabin faced the woods. Anna Jane's room saw the trees.

“Wow!” she said when she first saw her summer room. The girl walked up to the window above her bed.

“It's all yours for the summer,” Charlie said. Anna Jane ran over and hugged her father.

“Thanks, Daddy!” she said. Charlie patted her on the head.

“You're welcome,” he said. Anna Jane smiled and laughed.

“I knew you'd like it,” Charlie said.

The family had dinner in the backyard. The girlfriend frowned over her plate.

“Why can't we eat inside?” she asked. Charlie gave her a little smile.

“It's a nice day outside,” he said. “We've waited most of it in the car. Let's enjoy the day out here.” Anna Jane smiled as she took bites of Shepherd's Pie. She would pause to feed Teddy with his spoon. Charlie's girlfriend frowned and took a bite of her food. Anna Jane finished her dinner.

They spent the evening outside, enjoying nature. The girlfriend watched TV in the living room. Around eight in the evening, Charlie put Anna Jane and Teddy to bed.

---------

Around three in the morning, Anna Jane awoke to a chomping noise in the dark. She looked over at Teddy lying next to her.

“Was that you?” she whispered. Chomp. Chomp! Anna Jane sat up. The sounds came from outside the window. She took a look down. Something big and white was moving around on the ground. Anna Jane narrowed her eyes.

“Huh?” she asked. “Teddy, look!” The girl held her bear up to the window. The white mass moved around on the ground. Anna Jane turned to Teddy. She counted down to three. The girl opened the window and looked out.

“Hey!” Anna Jane shouted. “Who are you? What are you?!” The white mass froze and looked up. Anna Jane had a blank stare on her face.

“What the…?!” she asked. The mass' head was the size of a watermelon. The ears were round and fuzzy. Small round black eyes. The mass had no nose. The arms and legs were round and fat. The fingers, or toes, and looked like ballooned sausages. This creature had no fur on its body. Instead, that skin looked so smooth in the dim light. The creature and Anna Jane stared at each other. The former opened its mouth. Anna Jane had never seen so many rows of sharp teeth before in her life. The creature gave off a low, throaty growl. Only, it sounded like it was wheezing and laughing at the same time. What was this creature? Where did it come from? Why was it here? Only one word came to Anna Jane's mind.

“George,” she said. The creature growled again. Anna Jane felt herself smiling for some reason.

Rays of Sun