Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Hisako and Coni ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dusk began to fall. Kasumi and the siblings had left the neighborhood by this point. They came out to the exit. Suddenly, Haruko stopped in her tracks.
"This is it," she said. Kasumi and Ryuji turned and looked at her.
"What do you mean?" her brother asked. Haruko looked dead-on at him.
"This will be the first time I have really left this town," she said. Ryuji raised an eyebrow at her.
"What are you talking about?" he asked. "You go to the beach every weekend." His sister nodded.
"Yeah," she said. "But that was with the intent of knowing for sure that I would come back."
"And how is this different?" the boy asked.
"Well, we don't know when or if we'll ever come back here, will we?" she asked. Ryuji shrugged a bit.
"You have a point," he said.
"Indeed," Kasumi replied. Ryuji threw his hands up in the air.
"Okay," he said. "Let's keep on." From there, they had left the safe and calm village to seek the Cove. They took the dirt road all the way to the woods. Kasumi paused short as she looked up.
"Shhh!" she whispered. The siblings paused and looked at her.
"What is it, Kasumi?" Ryuji asked.
"Do you hear that?" she whispered. The siblings paused for a listen.
"No," the boy whispered. Haruko eyed the woman with a strange look.
"What are we listening for?" she whispered.
"Shhh!" she whispered. All of them tried to listen for anything harder. Kasumi sprang into battle mode.
"Here it comes!" she said. The siblings took their stances as well. They watched the thick brush in the woods as it began to rustle. Kasumi's mind prepared for the worst. But then, the "enemy" wandered out. The crew looked on confused. A snow white Akita puppy stepped out, sniffing around on the ground. He had a little red collar around his neck. Kasumi blinked at the little creature.
"A dog?" she asked.
"Coni!" they heard someone yell. "Coni! Where did you go?" The trio and the dog looked and saw a girl running out of the brush towards them. Her deep purple ponytails bounced with her movements. Her bare feet were covered in dirt and mud. Her white and flower-printed sundress hung loosely on her tiny frame. She stopped to catch her breath. The girl looked up and spotted her dog.
"Coni! So that's where you went!" she said. The girl paused and noticed the trio all looking at her. Kasumi stepped forward.
"Excuse me, is this your dog?" she asked.
"Why yes he is," the girl said. "Did you find him for me?" That's when Ryuji connected the dots in his brain.
"Hisako?" he asked. The girl blinked at him and became defensive.
"Ryuji! You jerk!" she cried. The girl charged towards him with full speed. The boy jumped out of the way just in time. Hisako tried to pursue him again.
"Come back here!" she cried.
"I told you to let it go already!" he yelled.
"Never!" the girl screamed at Ryuji. Kasumi blinked.
"You two know each other, I assume?" she asked.
"Yeah," Haruka whispered. "Long story."
"Oh," the older woman murmured. Suddenly, she felt a drop land on her shoulder.
"Hm?" Kasumi asked as she looked up at the darkening sky. The rain began pouring down hard upon them.
"Uh-oh," Haruko said.
"Now what?" Ryuji asked.
"I know a place to get out of the rain!" Hisako called. "Follow me!" She raced back into the forest Coni following close behind. Ryuji snorted.
"Heh! Like Hell I will..." he mumbled. But, Haruko grabbed him and raced after Hisako.
"Gah!" the boy called out.
"We don't have a choice right now!" his sister yelled. Ryuji groaned aloud as he was dragged along the dirt road. Whatever, he thought. Haruko chased after the younger girl in the rain. Kasumi dashed behind them all.
Chapter Ten: Hisako and Coni