Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Scent of the Woman ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Her scent teased him again. I can feel her close by, he thought. Karasu entered the Water Hole. He grew used to having all eyes on him. This time felt different however. The merchant's distrust focused on something else. The darkened lord could see what they were thinking in their eyes. The questions longed for the same answers with him this time.
Is he one of them?
We can't afford to have another raid.
He looks like a cop.
Karasu walked up to a milk booth and rang the bell. A woman peeked out from the back.
"What do you want?" she snarled. Karasu rested his elbow on the counter.
"Your best soy milk, please," he said in a gentleman-like tone.
"Coming up," she said. Karasu tried to peek in the back at what she was doing. The woman returned with a carton and a straw. Karasu reached into his porch and threw down a pretty amount of yen. The merchant woman's eyes widened.
"You don't have to give that much money!" she gasped.
"I feel that I have to because of the tough times going on here," he said. The woman looked down at her hands.
"Have you heard?" she asked. Karasu gave her an intrigued look.
"Is it that bad here?" he asked. The merchant nodded.
"Bastards keep trying to rob us blind," she complained.
"Who?" he asked. The merchant sighed and shook her head. She quietly put the money in the till.
"Enjoy your milk," she said. Then, the woman disappeared again to the back. Karasu took a sip of his soy. It didn't taste as good as her, still he had his treat. The best part was that she's coming today and she won't be alone.
Yes, he thought, Come here to me. I'll be waiting right here. Karasu rose to his feet and went over to a beef noodle booth.
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Scent of the Woman