Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Midnight Duel Invitation ( Chapter 38 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Karasu smirked at Kasumi as she prepared to attack.
"My, my, my," he said. "When did you get so ugly?" His former lover smirked back at him.
"Funny," she said, "I was going to say the same thing." The woman kept her knife by her side.
"So what do you plan to do?" he challenged.
"What else?" Kasumi asked, "I'm going to end this once and for all."
"And how do you pose you do that?" he asked.
"I will do whatever it takes," she declared.
"But can you do it?" her nemesis asked. "The look in your eyes sees you can, but your body is reluctant." Kasumi tried not to show him her fear even though he saw through it. He did have a point, however. Her heart still ached for him in a way that her mind locked away years past. She already resolved herself to fight her former lover no matter what it took.
"Yes," she lied. Karasu shook his head at her.
"I don't think you can," he told her.
"I'll have to try and see," the woman told him.
"Kasumi-san!" someone yelled behind them. The pair looked up to see Ryuji and Haruko racing over to them.
"Stay back!" Kasumi yelled. The siblings didn't understand what was going on.
"What are you doing out here?" Haruko asked. "And who is this?" Kasumi was about to speak when Karasu cleared his throat.
"My, my, my," he said, "Looks like we drew out unwanted guests to our fight." Pretty soon, the workers of the inn came rushing in. The pair glanced around them. Karasu lowered his head and chuckled.
"We'll talk later," he said. Karasu walked past his prey as she glared at him. As he came within inches of her right, he murmured a chilling message loud enough for only her to hear. She gave it her all to keep her bravery in check.
"I will come from you in the deep woods," he told her. Kasumi's knife dropped to the floor as he disappeared into the inn. Ryuji noticed the look on her face. Haruko had to walk the woman back to their room. Karasu's poison started to unfold and push this quest against time.
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Midnight Duel Invitation: