Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Soul House Keeper ( Chapter 42 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
-Twelve Years Ago-
Kameko knew what silence was back then. She actually knew a time without ghosts in her head. Before she inherited the house, Kameko used to love being outside. She lived in a village that was supposed by miles of nature and forests. With not much technology being used aside from lights and cooking, the children always played outside to pass the time. Kameko found herself no exception. She took in the fresh air every chance she got with the grass between her toes. The sunshine always beckoned her out of the house. Sometimes, she would just lie in the glass and do nothing but stare at the clouded blue sky. Kameko even tried to go out in the rain. The big puddles and mud in the road made it worth her while. Her mother would have to drag her inside for food.
"Don't you ever get tired of going outside?" her mother asked.
"Nope!" the little girl cheered. She would break into laughter afterwards. However on the day of her seventh birthday, that all came to a halt.
Kameko stood near the lake then. Every year, she would stand over the water and makes a little birthday wish to herself. She drew her eyes closed like normally did. Make a wish, Kameko, she thought.
It won't happen!
The little girl opened her eyes and looked around. "What the...?" she asked. The only thing she could see was the trees gently blowing in the wind. Not many people knew about this area on the other side of the lake either. Kameko took a slow step backwards as she eyes darted to her left and right.
We can see you!
Kameko looked around above her. The sky suddenly had a small dizzying effect on her mind. "Who's there?" she asked in between heavy breaths.
We are us.
Oh, stop that! You're scaring her.
"Who are you?" she asked as she could feel her heart pounding up to her ears. "Where are you?" Giggles circled around in her ears as a heavy breeze blew over her head.
We are us! We are us! We are us! We live within you! Those words drove her to search through the brush before running all the way home. The talking in her head didn't stop there either.
Whee! This is fun! Faster, faster!
"Go away! Leave me alone!" Kameko screamed with tears in her eyes. The laughing, though sounding child-like, drove her to run faster. "Mama!" she screamed in the doorway. "I keep hearing voices in my head! Why is this happening to me?" Her mother dropped her mug on the table, sipping her green tea all over the surface. Kameko's little eyes grew when she noticed all of the color draining from her mother's face.
"Mama?" she asked. "Mama, what's wrong?" Her mother rose to her feet so fast that the chair fell to the floor. She raced all the way back to her bedroom and locked herself in.
"Mama?" Kameko asked as she ran after her mother.
"Get away from me!" the lady screamed from inside the room. "You are unclean!"
"What do you mean?" the little girl asked.
"Devil!" my mom cried. "Devil child!" By sundown, Kameko learned of the curse of the House of Souls. Her life changed for the worst after her birthday. The other kids in the village began to avoid her. Everywhere she walked, the girl couldn't be sure if the voices in her head were whispering about her or if it was the adults themselves. When once she loved the outside, it only made it worse for Kameko with the constant chatter swirling around in her head. She could never be alone anymore, which didn't really help since everyone kept avoiding her.
I just want to be alone, she pleaded.
That won't be possible.
Yes, you will be with us until you die.
Get used to it, kid.
Kameko never could get over, however. She just wanted her old self back. When Kasumi arrived in the village with her party, Kameko was gifted the opportunity to find the Cove and take the house away from her. She knew that the souls in her mind won't go without a fight, but she's determined to put up an equal battle to be normal.
-Present Day-
Meanwhile, Hisako placed her elbows on the table.
Chapter Forty-Three: Soul House Keeper: