Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Breaking Through ( Chapter 60 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Kasumi?" Ryuji asked. He looked around through the thick woods. "Where are you?"

"Ryuji-kun!" a woman's voice screamed. "Help me!"

"Where are you?"

"Help me please!"

"Kasumi? Kasumi-san?" All Ryuji recieved now was silence. Despite the nagging feeling in the pit of his stomach, he couldn't tell what was going on around him. He moved his hand to his dagger. Kasumi-san needs me, he thought. But where was she? The boy pulled himself to his feet and closed his eyes. Come on, where are you? He didn't know why he was doing this, to be frank. He supposed it could be between instinct or his need to save Kasumi. Before he had a chance to think this through, he noticed a bright red light in front of him. His heart leapt as he could feel the energy dancing in front of him.

Kasumi, is that you? He tried to reach out to the light, but it felt so far away. Kasumi, talk to me. Say something.

Ryuji-kun, help me!

What do you mean? How?

I am trapped. He won't let me go!

Who won't let you go? Where are you? The wild breezes blew between them as the female's voice tried to speak. Ryuji strained to listen. What are you saying? I can't hear you over this winde. Where are you? The breeze jerked his eyes open and he found himself back in the empty woods. Without a thought in his head, Ryuji began running to try and find Kasumi.

---------

Kasumi lay on the ground in a daze. Karasu had about broken her. Her last attempt was to cry out to help with her mind. It didn't appear that anyone would help her.  She was about to give up when she heard footsteps running in the distance. Her heart jumped as she opened her eyes. Is that...? Did it...? Kasumi let herself fall back into herself.

Who's out there? I'm here! The footsteps came on either side of her ears. Part of her wished that this wasn't another trick by Karasu. Her own desperation wouldn't let her stop calling out.

Is there anybody out there? Please find me! Ryuji-kun? Ryuji-kun! The running sounded so far away. Kasumi wouldn't give up. She not only tried to speak out with her mind, but she tried to let her fingers. If I could just... The fighter woman tried to bend her right index finger. Karasu had kept her down for too long. She had no time to be small under him. I have new friends now. I can't take this anymore. I have to get up. I have to find the Cove. I have... I have to... I have to move my finger. At last, Kasumi was able to bent and lift her finger. No time to celebrate, however. She got right to work lifting her arm. Despite the pressure pushing down on her body, she lifted her arm inch by inch. When her hand was up in the air, a smaller, firmer hand grabbed onto hers. Kasumi ripped open her eyes. Ryuji stood over her, holding her hand. She narrowed her eyes.

"Ryuji?" she asked. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to get you when I heard you screaming for help," he said.

"You actually heard me?"

"I guess I did. I don't know how." Ryuji pulled her to her feet. "Let's go find Haruko and then. I'm getting cold in these woods." Kasumi didn't have time to decide whether it was really Ryuji or not before she was pulled away with him. Still, her heart told her to trust that she had been saved by him for the time being.

Chapter Sixty: Breaking Through