Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Birth of the House of Souls ( Chapter 67 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-Nineteen Years Ago-

A fog surrounded a dark shrine. A group of people in black cloaks walked up the wooden steps. One of them held a baby in their arms. The child started to cry, but they shushed the baby. Inside the shrine stood an old man in white robes. He wore a red oni mask on. The man stood to his feet when the footsteps grew closer. He walked up to greet the members of his clan. The old man held out his hand.

"Welcome, my flock!" he said. "Come inside." The old man backed into the shrine. Everyone followed him inside. One of them, a woman, held the baby to her chest. By now, the baby went quiet. It wasn't supposed to rain tonight. They hoped that it would say that way. Rain would be a bad omen for them.

The old man walked over to a fire pit in the center. The ritual could begin. He pulled out a bag of black sand. The old man opened the bag and poured it into the pit. He covered his mouth as the dust rose.

"Bring me the oils," he commanded. Three hooded figures stepped forward. They held out three little bottles in their hands. The old man picked them up. He uncorked them all and poured into the pit. The red, dull yellow, and brown oils fell inside. Only he could smell the faint pungent odor. The old man lit a match and threw it into the pit. A fire burst forward. Nobody moved. The old man held up his hand.

"Our mother vomits up blood! Our sister vomits up fire! Our son vomits up glass!" he chanted. The old man pulled out eight stones and threw them into the fire. A woman in black robes held up a white cat. She drew out a knife and slit its throat. The cat made a quick yelp before it died. The blood was poured into the fire. The old man pulled out a bottle of sake and popped it open. He poured the liquid into the fire. He held out his arms.

"Bring me the child!" he commanded. The woman walked forward with the baby in her arms. She handed the child to him. The old man bowed his head. Another woman took a knife and dipped it into a bowl of blood. The old man took it and held it over the baby. Little drops of blood fell on the child's forehead, nose, and chin. The old man's eyes rolled into his head.

"Give this child over the House of Souls! Please accept her into your arms!" he commanded. The flame turned a deep black. Suddenly, the air felt cold. Everyone's bodies went stiff. The old man's jaw dropped to the ground. A pale child covered in blood stood over the silent baby. They held out their hand. The flames jumped up and consumed everything.

----------

-Present Day-

Kameko looked down at her knees.

"You alright?" Kasumi asked. The other girl shook her head. Haruko rubbed her on the back.

"I'm here for you," she said. "We all are." Kameko didn't know how to take this. By now, the whispering�were quiet. She didn't know how long it would last this time. Would Haruko stick around then when it's at its worst? Kameko had her doubts. It didn't help that Haruko kept grinning at her.

Chapter Sixty-Nine: Birth of the House of Souls: